#19 Lady Took

Lady Took

Don't Panic

• Off-Topic Moderator
  • 1,093 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:14 AM

Hahah you're always welcome back xDD

Aaaaw thanks ^___^ I don't know, i just like making them it's a great way to procrastinate :P As for tips i really don't know,, hum.....i normally try to make icons with pictures of whole body, they're just easier to cut :P Yes i know i hadn't discovered soft brush when i did that, so that's why it looks kind of weird, soft brush changed my life *o* Thank you <3 It's amazing what you can do at two in the morning when you're bored :P I know it's just hard to find a way to make the ci work -__- i'm trying though xDD I get what you mean, big canvases scare me too, and it was the first blend i made in a while, so i'm still kind getting the hang out of it xD Hopfully my next one will be better ;)

Vicky + gallery + semi-available (PM first) + Carter, Dakota, Brigid on PW

lxzg4bl.png

Mintleaf

#20 Bear&Fox

Bear&Fox

lilacs stick with lilacs

• Staff Moderator
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:27 AM

hey vicky, here with your requested critique :dumbles:
(which was so long ago, that I doubt you even remember requesting it :hides:)

weakest + strongest techniques
Weakest technique I think has to be image quality. The problems with image quality I think are derived from low quality original images. Make sure you are spending the time to find the highest possible images out there. Also try and prep them, a great guide is this+ tutorial by violet. I think you're also over-filtering your graphics, or perhaps over sharpening. See that images like this+, this+ and this+ look quite pixely? I find that's what happens when low quality images have been over sharpened. Be aware of that and reduce your filtering :) honestly, using high quality images is one of the easiest ways to improve the overall graphic ^_^

Your strongest technique I think is composition. It looks to me that you have the basics down with this, and you know how to place people on a canvas in an interesting way. This+ banner particularly shows that!

weakest + strongest graphics type
For your weakest graphic type, I have chosen your banners. This is the area where I see the most image quality problems, and also colouring and blending also seems to be an issue here. Be careful with your blending because as can be seen on this+ banner, the boy's shoulder is quite bumpy :/ take your time when hard cutting, it will be worth it ^_^

Your strongest graphic type I think are you chapter images, for sure :D although there are some image quality issue in this section again, the colouring and text I think is a lot stronger in comparison to the other parts of your gallery. that's great, keep it up (:

weakest + strongest pieces
weakest pieces; this+ (poor image quality & blending, I also don't know that the text works.) the bottom one here+ (poor colouring, & text difficult to read :/) this+ (poor image quality & plain colouring, also a little under-contrasted) and this+ (no clear focal point and poor blending - lovely colouring though!)

strongest pieces; this+ (cute composition, and pretty colouring - although careful of skin tones), this+ (pretty colouring, and okay image quality), this+ (strong colouring, and better hard cuts) and this+ (lovely colouring, and image quality is great - maybe play around with the text though, the pink is quite bright).

overall
okay, so I think you first really need to work on your image quality, as at the moment I think this is really holding you back. Train you eye to appreciate high quality (and not over-filtered) images/graphics - the best way to do this I think, is to look through staff galleries and see how your pieces are different, this also helped me for getting a better eye for text. From here make some more banners, then perhaps a few more sigs :)

sorry that this has taken so long D:
if I have gone over anything too quickly,
or you have any questions, pm me, okay? ^_^

I hope this has helped!
- ellie :hug:

Edited by Bear&Fox, 18 April 2012 - 05:30 AM.

♥︎  ♥︎  ♥︎

ordinary love

ZgncS8o.png

pm for requests

#21 Lady Took

Lady Took

Don't Panic

• Off-Topic Moderator
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

It's alright that it took you a while, better late then never ;)

But thanks for the critique, i'll make sure to remember all those tips next time i sit down to make a graphic ^___^ I'll try to learn how to see hq pictures a little better i guess i'm just not used to real hq pictures, but i'll try to only use them from now on ;D And again thank you <3

lxzg4bl.png

Mintleaf

#22 elixirs*

elixirs*

get lucky

• Staff Artist
  • 314 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

hiii, wow, I can't quite believe you're an MA! your banners are gorgeous and your composition skills are pretty brill :3 your icons are looking good, too, and your crops are definitely better than mine were when I was an MA.

I'd say keep experimenting with text because some of the fonts and colours don't quite match the graphic 'mood', +here in particular: there's nothing wrong with white but I'm not mad on the fontface or the green outline, and her face could maybe be a little sharper, and also +here with the pink Century Gothic. That's a font I tend to consign to the occasional essay \:

Other than that, good luck with promos- you definitely deserve it and it'll be great to see you as a Junior!

hi i'm tasha and this is my gallery

#23 Lady Took

Lady Took

Don't Panic

• Off-Topic Moderator
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

omg thank you so much :wub:

Yeah text is currently my week point :P Along with a couple of other things, but i think atm text is definitely my main focus on improving :P But thanks for the little tips ^__^ I'll try to remember then for the next time i open photoshop! And again thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment <3

lxzg4bl.png

Mintleaf

#24 YO!.O

YO!.O
  • Senior Artist
  • 240 posts
  • Software:Other

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:44 AM

Hello!! =D
I love your somebody I used to know banner, it is gorgeous! XD I also love your signitures, they are so pretty! :}
I would suggest working on the use of text, to make it match the banners mood and for it too blend it, like on the Fire and Ice banner, it just fit into the banner, but then on your other two the text is great XD
Your great at composition, it's all so pretty! XD
Anyway can't wait to see what else you come up with XD

~Sophie

2yz0f7k.png

Spencer  Available  Gallery ☮  

#25 Lady Took

Lady Took

Don't Panic

• Off-Topic Moderator
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

Thanks so much :glomp: Firstly for actually bothering to stop by and leaving a comment on my gallery, and secondly for the lovely comments on my graphics ^___^ Yes i know, text is not really my forte :P But i'm trying to work on that xD And again thank you, it means a lot :wub:

lxzg4bl.png

Mintleaf

#26 rebel_heart

rebel_heart

everything that kills me makes me feel alive ♥

• Graduate Artist
  • 2,247 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

I don't think I've been here before, so hi! I'm Sama! :hiwave:
You have pretty graphics here. :laugh:
And it is so cool that you experiment with text so much.
Text hates me so I never experiment with it. :silly:
Keep on improving.

-Sama

p.s. I am a bookworm too! :halo:

Sama |Semi-available (PM FIRST) | {P R E V I O U S L Y   C H O C O L A T E L U V E R}
C O P Y R I G H T  R U L E S  | N E W   G A L L E R I A`  | S T O R I E S(12+ to M)

Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image

#27 Lady Took

Lady Took

Don't Panic

• Off-Topic Moderator
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

Thank you :hug:
Oh wow really? Haha xD Thanks, and here i was thinking my text sucked LOL xD
But i think text hates me too sometimes >_> just try smacking it eventually :P
Weeee :DD Bookworms are the coolest ;D

lxzg4bl.png

Mintleaf

#28 thedoctor!

thedoctor!

Addicted to VS ♥

• Junior Artist
  • 404 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

Slightly later than I originally planned but I'm back! :D

I am also totally going to go and post over on PW but I felt your gallery needed some love first.
My favorite graphic is the one for Noelle but I am a bit bias and it is also not here so my favorite is the Jason Brown Signature and OMG the Paper Heart banner. They are so nice and simple at the same time. I adore simple <3

I think your weakest piece is the Peter and Gwen banner. :) Her chin is cut off and you have much better work!

Emma! You reply is being written right now. :D

Emma | Gallery | 1 PW

Semi - Avilable, PM first.

#29 Lady Took

Lady Took

Don't Panic

• Off-Topic Moderator
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

Thanks honey :glomp:
I agree of the banner not being that great, i actually decided to remove her, since i have better works than that one :3

lxzg4bl.png

Mintleaf

#30 fayeswonderland

fayeswonderland

Wicked Witch Of The West

• Staff Artist
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

Vicky!
Hey! This is Sally with you critique you requested way too long ago {you may hit me now :s}….

so let's get started!

Text
Okay so what I noticed here first is that your text is really horizontally oriented. This can get a
bit boring if you do it to often. Text to path is a very interesting option {look for the tutorial in the
technique/gimp section of TDA'} - you don't have to put the text into really extraordinary
positions, but often you can find a line {e.g. shoulders, textures in the background etc.} where
you can adapt your text to!
Also, sometimes, less is more. I noticed you love big letters/text - but sometimes it's just too bold
or too big {e.g on your come away with me banner I would have made the away a bit smaller or
only let the a of the away be in this fancy font and make the rest in the simple one you used for
the rest} - on your moral insanity CI the text is just too dark in comparison to the girl - by doing
that you draw the viewers attention away from the girl {who is the actual focal point} and make
her seem unimportant - we don't want that though.
What you're doing already pretty great is the color of your text in general. You adapt the text color
to the general color of your graphics and that's wonderful - I would advice you to use some more
gradients on text though, since sometimes text can be very plain without that {or without text to
path}

Colors/Contrast
I think your coloring is developing greatly! Watch out for over-contrasting or over-brightening people
or generally your works. On your paper heart banner the girl it too bright and a bit too contrasted,
same goes for you Madeline Burnett sig and your Isabella Robson one and your second icon set.

Composition
Right now everything {or almost everything} is pretty centered. But there are other compositions
to explore - don't be afraid to try something new!
In order to find inspiration I'd recommend you to peek into the galleries of Staff or Veteran artists
here on this site - I'm sure you'll find some (:
Also every sig you display includes 2 people - one smaller one and one big one - sometimes it
suffices to only use 1 person - there's no need to put another one in (:

Blending
It seems to me that you have a bit trouble with hard-cutting people or hair blending {e.g. in your
newest sig & the Ron&Hermione CI} - I'd recommend you to visit the tutorial central - there are
super awesome tuts on how to hard-cut & hot to blend hair (:

Filtering
I'm not sure what filter you use, but personally I think it's a bit too much - the people seem pixelated
and crispy {e.g. your paper heart banner, your moral insanity CI, Isabella sig, newest sig} - so it
would be lovely if you could tone that down!

Image Quality
Over-filtering degrades the quality of the graphics severely, so sometimes you cannot say whether
it's the over-filtering or the LQ of the images used that make the graphics look crispy.
Remember to only use HQ images, though (:

Overall
Methinks you're on the right way! Your coloring is definitely one of your stronger points {look at that
jason brown sig! :O} and overall you're just getting there!

My favorite piece of work…
… is your jason brown sig, because it's almost perfect :loves: {if you could erase the bit of the
horizontal line that goes into jason's hair it would be perfect!}

So I hope I wasn't too harsh and I could help you a bit!
If you have any more questions, feel free to shoot a pm!
I don't bite tehee :D

-Sally

Posted Image

Posted Image

» blinkie by crookshanks. || Sally is mostly available. «
»
F {O} RE {VER} «

#31 Lady Took

Lady Took

Don't Panic

• Off-Topic Moderator
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:17 AM

Shuns why no love for Vicky D: Just kidding :P It's okay, i understand, at least you did it in time for next promotion ^__^

Anyway, thank you so much for your critique, it helped me see where i need to improve, and other things that i probably need to do less!! :yes: But i shall do my "homework" and see a couple of tuts and stalk look through staff vets. gallerys dor inspiration!! :wub:

Eeeep thanks again yourcritique and general coments were very useful, and i'll try to remember all of them, next time i make a graphic! :hug:

lxzg4bl.png

Mintleaf

#32 paper.fox

paper.fox

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough

• Staff Artist
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

Banners: You've got some really nice composition going on here, but I think you'd benefit from experimenting with some stock. As they are your banners are fairly empty and a bit of stock or some more interesting textures could really jazz it up. You've got the good beginnings of text in here composition wise, but in the first two the text could probably do wit being stacked a bit closer together. Be careful of over brightening things, for example in your third banner the girl is much too bright for the banner base, and in the second the faces are a little hard to see. Getting creative with composition and stock will really help you in this area :)

CI's: The first one is really pretty and interesting, but the text is a bit out of place. If you're making a monochrome image, it's generally best to use the same colour scheme for the text (unless it's like red on black and white or something like that, these are just general guidelines, dont stick to them too close or you'll ihibit your style developing). The second one the text is hard to read because of the colour, perhaps try pulling the colour from either Emma's hair or her dress, so it looks like it belongs. You could try putting the smaller text stacked on the other side of emma, and focusing on the big text with maybe a low opacity gradient overlay or something similar. Stock use could probably help you here too, however your colouring is pretty good in the CI's.

Sigs: Your third sig is probably the best image in your gallery, as it has the highest contrast and the most definite focal point, two things your other graphics are somewhat lacking. Andrew is very good quality which can really make or break a graphic. The tex however would probably look better the same colour as Andew's skin and pulled slightly closer to the rightmost andrew. Overall sigs are probably your strongest graphic type, you seem to fill them well. Again some work on stock and text (there's some brilliant tutorials out there) would help you go that step further.

Icons: You have the crop and colour pretty down pat, although you need to be wary of over brightening and under contrasting. (I still struggle with this, the screening room is a great place to get help if youre not sure what looks best)

Blends: I would probably say get rid of all but the third. The fourth isn't linking properly so it's hard to say, but the first two aren't up to scratch with the rest of the gallery. The first is overfiltered and the text doesnt suit the graphic, and the second the blending is sloppy. Considering you have better examples of blending in your gallery, it'd be best to scrap this one :) be careful of the halo effect around people, if you don't already try using layer masks. once you get the hang of them the make blending so much easier. I think maybe Susan (violet ephemera) or someone posted a tutorial on it a while back, try having a look for it it's really helpful.

Overall: You have a really good start, you have really good basic compositional skills and your blending and colouring are off to a really good start, just always watch out for even skintones, equal contrast/birghtness/etc overall and make sure you work on you text because as you go up the ranks text more and more can become the centrepiece of a gaphic and thats a great way to impress people ;)

Hope this was okay and not too harsh, I havent critiqued in foreverrr :/ haha

~Maya

Maya: Available (PM first)
Posted Image

#33 Lady Took

Lady Took

Don't Panic

• Off-Topic Moderator
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for this :happy:
It was really helpful, shall take onto account everything you said, and will try remember everything when i next open photoshop :P
And don't worry it was just fine :happy: Sometimes harsh can be a good thing ;) But don't worry, it wasn't, at least for me it wasn't :P
But again thank you :hug:

lxzg4bl.png

Mintleaf

#34 dust&decay

dust&decay

CRA-ZI

• Senior Artist
  • 635 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

Hey Vicky, I'm Lyla!
I have to say my favorites in your gallery are your moral insanity chapter image and your paper heart banner gorgeous!!! Can't wait to c more of ur stuff!

--call me zi--

Posted Image

// {Gallery} // {HPFF} // A. Rhine & R. Fontaine // AVAILABLE // Dream Team --> aka Lacey and Zi//

#35 Lady Took

Lady Took

Don't Panic

• Off-Topic Moderator
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:48 PM

Hey Lyla, thank you so much :glomp:

lxzg4bl.png

Mintleaf

#36 DangerousDraco589

DangerousDraco589

TDA's resident Merlin obsessor

• Junior Artist
  • 695 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

Hi Vicky! I just stopped by to say I love your style a lot <3 and thank you so much for the comment in my gallery, it really made my day :hug:

Ashley | SEMI-available, PM first | Amazing set by Contour!

pC6Z37M.png

This Could Be Paradise |HPFF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users