jJ260F2.png

302lzeo.png

by tina.loves

Three Cuts: 3rd place {+entry}

Prepare Yourself: 2nd place {+entry}

Text It! v.something: 3rd place {+entry}

zgCtqxF.png

clicky click+

Edited by Lady Took, Yesterday, 10:33 AM.

Vicky + gallery + semi-available (PM first) + Carter, Dakota, Brigid on PW

lxzg4bl.png

Mintleaf

#2 allègre

allègre

Unbound

• Senior Artist
  • 584 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:04 PM

WEEE! First!

I'm Lyn, well if you don't know me yet. biggrin.gif
I'm not an expert, but........
I really love the 16 icons! Their cool, in color and stuff. love.gif
I think the sigs need more smoothing on the edges and blending, but otherwise its good, especially the third, though I'm not too fond of the font. But that's just me really. I think you're really doing great for start. dxmjae.png

formerly elaine_17 || credits to the amazing TheWallflower 2.0

D3t9R9b.jpg

|Lyn|Linguist|SEMI-AVAILABLE (PM first)|
.Gallery.HPFF.Stories.

#3 Lady Took

Lady Took

Don't Panic

• Off-Topic Moderator
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:01 PM

My first comment, this is exciting happy2.gif

thank you, i kinda have a small obsession with making icons, i could make them all day if i could, bu i'm glad you liked them :3 Yeah i thought of that, i'm going to give it a try next time i make one!! You're not the only one who doesn't like the font, i just never know which one to chose and i didn't want anything too curly tongue1.gif But anyway thank you for your comment on my stuff it means the world and now i can try to go on with what you said and maybe improve my work!!! <3

lxzg4bl.png

Mintleaf

#4 thedoctor!

thedoctor!

Addicted to VS ♥

• Junior Artist
  • 404 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:20 PM

Well I wasn't here first but second!!! I feel that silver is very pretty and therefore I rule. dance.gif

First of all stacked text is loooove <3
Loving the PW overflow!
I agree with Elaine you icons are really pretty. Not just the big set though, I really like all of them.
VICKY CURLY, FANCY TEXT IS THE BEEEEEEEST! *slightly in love*

My favorite piece is your Lara sig because I feel it flows. Like Elaine said smoothing the edges but other than that I really adore that sig. biggrin.gif

I'll be back Vicky!

Emma | Gallery | 1 PW

Semi - Avilable, PM first.

#5 Lady Took

Lady Took

Don't Panic

• Off-Topic Moderator
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:27 PM

Emma thank you so much <3

Well i like fancy curly text, but i just didn't want to use it in that sig tongue1.gif Won't do this again *dead* But yeah i'm working on the smoothing the edges, totally almost just wrote elves *dead*, so hopefully they'll be better when i update the gallery happy2.gif

Yeah i feel some more Lara sets coming,* slightly in love with her atm* And come back all you want, i want complain xDDD

lxzg4bl.png

Mintleaf

#6 allègre

allègre

Unbound

• Senior Artist
  • 584 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:16 AM

As always, I love you icons.. why do you do so much great icons?!!!!!
Seriously why? -right because you updated, so I'm here. hahaha wink.gif biggrin.gif

I love this+ siggie!
I love everything about it, the mono, the text, the composition. Oh did I say everything?

Just be careful about skin tones, like in this+, the girl is so much yellowish, and boy is so pale... >.< this+ one too, because Emma's face is so red and different to her body on the right CI, while on the left, she's so pale.. I dunno.. I'm not good on skin tones too. >.<

Anyway, Text for banners 101 can help you with text and placement.. I'll be back AGAIN! tongue1.gif

D3t9R9b.jpg

.Gallery.HPFF.Stories.

#7 Lady Took

Lady Took

Don't Panic

• Off-Topic Moderator
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:00 PM

Eeeee thank you <3 I'm glad you like my icons, because i kinda love making them xDD I really dunno why so many people hate them, because icons are love to me tongue1.gif

This was actually my first attempt to make a sig with male cfs xDD So i was very hesitant about it confusedslant.gif But i'll take it it's not that bad tongue1.gif

Ugh yes i know, i'm still getting the hang of colouring, but those i kinda did in purpose to fit the mood of the ci tongue1.gif BUT i get what you mean, one day we'll get better, you'll see wink.gif

I'll take a look at that, thanks AGAIN smile.gif And be back all you want xDD

lxzg4bl.png

Mintleaf

#8 enchantedx

enchantedx

Arashian.

• Junior Artist
  • 975 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

Hi :D
So how come it seems that the more I comment on galleries, the more galleries I miss checking out...haha.
So, i'm glad I come across your gallery. It looking really nice! I love your colouring on the signatures, and how you try to expriement. My favorite are your CI's though, in my eyes, they flow well enough. They also show good composition. I'm especially jealous of your colouring skills, mine sucks compared to yours, haha.

Anyway, enough rambling xD I shall come back here and stalk, great work so far :D

My gallery

available

#9 Lady Took

Lady Took

Don't Panic

• Off-Topic Moderator
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

Hello ^__^

Oh well thank you so much i always like a lovely comment <3 But yeah you're right i LOVE experimenting, every time i open photoshop i want to try something new xDD And thanks well each one has their own opinions :3 But i'm actually really proud of the CIs at least they look a hell lot better than the other ones i made :P My colouring skill?? Oh well maybe i don't suck at everything then!! And again thank you for you comment :DD

lxzg4bl.png

Mintleaf

#10 crimson.

crimson.

holy crap on a cracker

• Graduate Artist
  • 925 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

Hi Vicky! I'm here with your critique! :)

Icons: You have some interesting cuts here, particularly in the first set but the level of contrast is a bit high. I don't use PS so I don't know what effect/filter you're using but if it's something that defines the edges, you need to lower the opacity on that a bit. Also, are you using Selective Gaussian Blur or a similar tool? This is decreasing the image quality of your icons a lot. :/ For example, in this set, second row down, second icon from the left, her features are blurred into each other so much I can't make out her nose! :P This is also present in the other icons but at a slightly lesser extent. The second set of icons is much better but the girl's face is still oversaturated which is something you want to avoid.

Signatures: I like this sig the most. :) The composition is good with the bigger person attrcting the focal point. You need to watch out for face colouring though. Both of the faces are a bit yellow, but the smaller girl considerably more so. Using Colour Balance and altering Hue/Saturation levels will help make them more even. The first two of your sigs have a lot of text on them and it can be difficult to decide where to put it. One option is to have one part of the quote on one side of the character, and the other part on the other side. That way, more space is created and it doesn't look as if it's too filled up. :) Also remember to sharpen your images (part of image quality). In this, the girl could be sharpened more and even a little more contrast added. :) I quite like the composition and colouring of this, just watch for oversaturation. :)

Chapter Images: In the second CI, Emma's face is too saturated. I think you've tried to make her hair redder and darker than it was, but this has had the unfortunate effect of darkening her face too. There is also a big contrast between her face and her shoulders/arms. I'm afraid the blending of the background isn't great. It's great that you've tried to blend two images together but where it's evident to see where they overlap, it lowers the quality of the CI. What I usually do, is try and place a person or stock over the blending overlaps so that it isn't obvious to see. ;)

Blends: Here, the blending on both images of the girl isn't great, and the composition is a bit off. There isn't really a focal point; although one girl is bigger than the other which is good, and it throws the viewer. :) You said that blending was your weakness, but apart from this blend and the first CI, your blending is quite good. :) I'd say text is also a problem here as you've just used one font at the same size for a long quote. With the exception of one signature, all of your graphics containing text use just one font. Try downloading some new fonts from dafont.com and using them on your new graphics. You'll see how they can make a difference to your graphics. :) I'd suggest taking out this blend because it doesn' really add anything to your gallery. Then you could either make another blend with your improved technical skills, or make more of other types of graphics. Big blends are hard to work with (I hate them mysef) and take longer to get used to, so don't worry if you don't want to make any. :)

Strengths: Your signatures are your best graphics at the moment and your colouring is pretty good overall, except for the orange and yellow skin tones. :) I'd like to see some banners in here as well though, as they show you can work with different canvas sizes and really help to improve composition. ^_^

Weaknesses: Image quality - especially over-contrasting & over-saturating. Also text, like I said above.

Keep making more graphics and improving your technical skills! :D Here are a few tutorials that might help you: one, two, three. I hope this is helpful and wasn't too harsh. :) Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want help with anything. :)

-Sophia

Sophia
TheLuckyOne.png

gallery || hpff

#11 Lady Took

Lady Took

Don't Panic

• Off-Topic Moderator
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

Thank you so much for the critique, it was really helpful and i'm definitely taking those tips in mind next time i open photoshop ^__^ I really thought my blending was my major problem :P, maybe i'll focus on trying to get my text better then, because i couldn't agree more, i always struggle A LOT when it comes to putting text in any of my graphics, also working on making some banners, apparently they're my weak spot xD Every time i sit to try and make one end up giving up. And i see what you mean about the skin colouring, in my eyes some of them look fine, but i really see your point :P Another thing that i'm definitely doing is using using more hq pictures for graphics, i hadn't noticed until you pointed it out, but apparently it doesn't make a real difference when using better quality pictures xDD Again thank you so much ^-^

lxzg4bl.png

Mintleaf

#12 rise.above

rise.above

smash.

• Junior Artist
  • 353 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

Vicky! I had no idea you had a gallery here!
You have a lovely start here, and it definitely needs to be filled with even more pretties and such.
I love these two CI's - the colouring is really pretty, but you might want to watch out for over-sharpening.
The composition of both banners is awesome! To make them even better, I'd try adding some more colouring and messing around with settings some more. You never know what you could end up with.

I love forward to seeing more in here! :happy:
- Lisa

Lisa {available, pm first}
Oq2yo.png
| Gallery | PW | set by vee

#13 Lady Took

Lady Took

Don't Panic

• Off-Topic Moderator
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:05 PM

Hahah i'm sneaky like that :hide:

Thank you lovely ^__^ I shall add more stuff in the future, after all making graphics is the BEST way to procrastinate :P Anyway i'm glad you liked those cis, i wasn't so sure about the second one xD But yeah i JUST discovered "sharpening'' i think i got a little over excited with it :P OMG you really like my banners??? :wub: I feel like they're my weak spot u.u, for some reason i find it hard to make everything fit in them!! But i shall explore a little around them :P And thank you for the comment, they're always welcome ^__^

lxzg4bl.png

Mintleaf

#14 Crowley

Crowley

An Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards.

• Administrator
  • 4,891 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:21 AM

Hi Vicky! :D I'm here with the critique you requested- sorry for the wait, the last few days have been a bit hectic. Anyways, on with the crit!
  • which graphic types you need to work on most: Chapter images- the composition on all of your current ones is very similar (one person, relatively similar text placement) so I would encourage you to make more adventurous combinations, as that will give your gallery more variety. However, overall I would say your main focus should be on technique, as opposed to a specific graphic type, and I'll go into more detail on that in a moment :)
  • which technique (colouring, blending, composition, text, etc.) needs most attention: image quality/over-sharpening - this is just something you have to watch out for to be honest, both in making sure you resize your images in a way that maintains the image quality (never enlarge, only shrink), and by only using HQ image wherever possible (you are not always able to do this in requests, but if that's the case then it's better to leave the graphic out of your gallery). For over-sharpening, watch out for pixellation in your final product- generally the graphic should look crisp and clear, but not over the top- if you're ever unsure of whether an image is over-sharpened, it's a good idea to get a second opinion :) Examples of bad image quality: here. Examples of over-sharpening: here, here, here, here.
  • your strongest piece & why: here - apart from the over-sharpening and the bevel/emboss being a little strong on the text, this is a really lovely piece- the colouring is pretty and the background is nicely blended, and it's good to see that you've matched the skin tones for the guy and the girl :)
  • any pieces which are holding you back & why:
    +this - you should never be able to see the background of a graphic through a character's face like that- it's always dangerous to mess with the blend mode on a whole person.
    Graphics where I have mentioned over-sharpening/poor image quality- because these are relatively simple techniques to get right, it's worse to get them wrong, so make sure you learn what's good and what's not so you can improve on these- it's just a matter of practise and getting an eye for it ;)
I really hope something in that was helpful! You have a strong start to your gallery and your composition and colouring are good, you just need to get the rest of the basics sorted out and you'll be well one your way :) If you've got any questions about anything I've said, just shoot me a PM and I'll do what I can to help you out ^_^

~ Spread the Love 2012 ~
Posted Image

jXAZRd1.gif

AKPYOQs.gif

gallery ϟ blinkie by red herring ϟ unavailable ϟ tumblr

#15 Lady Took

Lady Took

Don't Panic

• Off-Topic Moderator
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

Thank you so much ^___^ Those were really helpful, will try to remember all of those next time i open photoshop ;) As for the "over sharpening" I kinda of been noticing that, and been trying to hold back a little on that :P just discovered that i could sharpen my pictures and i got a bit over excited with that. I shall experiment a little more next time i make a ci ;D And as for the image quality i've been trying to look out for that apparently a pretty isn't that pretty with a bad quality picture ;) And again, thank you :wub:

lxzg4bl.png

Mintleaf

#16 Caramel.'

Caramel.'
  • Senior Artist
  • 889 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

Hey Vicky

I just wanted to say I love your banner and your blend :happy: I thought your blend was really creative! I also like your first sig, i think the colouring is great on it! And your icons have pretty good cuts. I think your have a awesome start on your gallery :happy: I'd love to see more banners from you :happy:

~Sarah~

Spread the love 2012 Posted Image

Edited by rosem, 20 February 2012 - 06:44 PM.

Sarah ||previously known as Amaretto' ||Gallery ||

fBizRAD.png 

Tessa Atwood, Bentley Murray & Ana Kohler PW ||

|| Icon and sig anyroad @ TDA || available but please pm. ||

#17 Lady Took

Lady Took

Don't Panic

• Off-Topic Moderator
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

Thank you Sarah :wub: you have no idea how good it is to receive some good feedback on that blend :P big canvases scare me! As for banners i am working on getting more, would've done more already if they weren't my weak point :P

lxzg4bl.png

Mintleaf

#18 allègre

allègre

Unbound

• Senior Artist
  • 584 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

HI Vicky! I'm back, because I'm back! :D

As always, I love your icons! How can you be so good?! My icons aren't good, Any tips? Speaking of which, remind me to make new icons! So back to your gallery, your banner is really good, the background is perfect to me, though I'm not fantastic about the hard cut on it. Maybe a soft layer of soft brush over it? I'm not a PS user so, I'm not really sure.
I love your sigs! Especially the second one, the green one. xD It's so pretty. The colouring is really great on that.
Compared to you last CIs, I think this set improved. Though I would say that you should experiment more on the composition and the text. xD I usually put the most important word in fancy fonts depending on the mood of the graphic and the rest of the text in smaller, simpler font styles, usually with some spaces between the letters..(I'm not sure if that's possible in PS?)

The blend. It scares me. because it's so big! But anyway, I love it, the colouring! I'm not sure about the text, but the blending needs a little refinement I think? The elbows of the girl were cut off in a way that doesn't work for me, but that's just me. -___- But otherwise, I like it! Great job Vicky!

D3t9R9b.jpg

.Gallery.HPFF.Stories.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users