January 2016[x]
by azimuth by red herring
by foggy
by Fireheart
by Artemesia
by Lauralei

Photo

Tutorial Central Guidelines for artists and tut developersIncluding use of images in tutorials, crediting, and other stuff

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lady Plantagenet

Lady Plantagenet

Keto me fabulous

• Veteran Artist
  • 10,429 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:11 AM

Tutorial Writers: It is recommended that you don't include specific images in your tutorial, as the purpose is to teach techniques that can be used with any image. Thus, if you do use a specific set of images, you need to encourage those who are trying out your tutorial to use their own, and that the images you provided are for demonstration purposes only.

Artists: As stated above, the purpose of these tutorials is to teach techniques. They are not meant for you to make perfect copies of the sample graphic. If you decide to create a graphic using the provided images, DO NOT include the result in your gallery.

Edited by Althea, 10 June 2011 - 12:47 AM.

#2 Lady Plantagenet

Lady Plantagenet

Keto me fabulous

• Veteran Artist
  • 10,429 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE (BitterEpiphany)
One of the hardest things as a designer is coming to terms with the fact that people simply don't credit you. This...erm...essay?...deals with how to both come to terms with the fact that it happens and how to take some of the risk out.

Everything Comes In Three Shades
There are three different kinds of people who don't credit for graphics and it's generally best to assume that the person who has slighted you isn't one of the last two. If you do, your reaction will be goaded and goaded e-mails result in turning the person into category two: Indignant.

Lazy:
In most cases, failure to credit on a graphic - any graphic - is a result of lazyness. Either the person forgot who made it, didn't realize they needed to credit or just plain didn't feel like going through the trouble, it happens. Dealing with this isn't any easier than dealing with any other kind - it's still frustrating and it's still not right, but you have to acknowledge, at least a little, that it isn't that big of a deal.

Indignant:
Some people who don't credit on graphics are indignant. There can be a lot of origins for this. They may not want to spare the space in their summary word count to credit your design. They may have felt unsatisfied with the process or product of their design experience and have decided that they don't like you enough to respect your wishes. They may just think that it's plain old insane to require that they credit you in their summary/singature/etc...

Ripper:
And then there are the jerks. Yes, some people will neglect to credit you for your work because they either:

a. are more than happy to perpetuate the illusion that they have created your graphics, though they won't actually state it.

- or -

b. they are outright telling people that they have created the graphics.

Types Of Credit
There are several different types of credit that people require and they will vary further based on the item. As a general guideline, however, the methods follow:

If Asked
Some people (me, for instance) only require that their pieces be credited when someone asks about it. Obviously, I consider it a curtosy if, when fellow designers are using my work, they note which pieces are mine and which pieces are their own to avoid confusion, but as a general rule, my designs do not require crediting. I find this method to be the best. Considerate users will always provide credit but it spares me from the upset when those who don't wish to, don't. (It has also saved me hours of embarassment when gross old things of mine trickle their way back around and reappear.)

Name Only
The most popular method of crediting around HPFF, FictionCentral and TDA is "name only." This means that the person using the graphic places the designing artists name somewhere near the graphic, generally with a small 'thank you.'

Name & Link
Many artists, particularly those on DeviantArt, request that you provide their name and a link to their portfolio whenever you use their designs (and stocks, more often than not.)

On Graphic
By far, the most extreme method of credit requiring is "on graphic." I don't generally use stocks or resources from people who require on graphic crediting because, frankly, i think it's obnoxious - it requires people to compromise their designs for the sake of ensuring that there is no way anyone missed that you had something to do with it.

Writing A Crediting Request Statement
Frankly, you can't fault someone for not crediting your graphics if you don't ask them to in the first place. Thus, most artists have a crediting statement somewhere. Requirements may vary from artist to artist but as a general rule, this is a good way to approach it.
  • Use of this {insert item type here} is not permitted in {insert disallowed uses here}. Use of this {insert item type here} is permitted provided you {insert crediting method here}
What To Do When Crediting Goes Bad
There are three methods to pursue when a crediting request goes bad.

Get Over It
The first, and most obvious, option is to get over it. So one person hasn't credited you appropriately. Suck it up. Move on. Work on something else. Sometimes, the best medicine is accepting that you can't teach everyone a lesson and moving on.

Write A Polite Request
If you've tried getting over it and you just can't - or if you feel that the person is trying to present your design as there own - the next step is to contact them with a polite request. Sending an angry e-mail isn't giong to get you anywhere. You're aksing them for a favor. Yes, you did them a favor first but, as it stands at the moment, you are still asking them to do something for you and being a collosal jerk about it isn't going to get you anywhere. Following is a sample of something you could use (particularly if you're too angry to write your own):
  • Hi {insert name here},

My name is {insert your screenname here} and a few {days/weeks/months} back I made a graphic for you. {insert link to graphic here}. I noticed that you were using it in your {insert location here} but didn't include a {name/link/etc...}. I ask that everyone using one of my graphics issues credit to me.

Thanks
    {insert your name here}

Friendly, but not too friendly. Most importantly, though, non-threatening.

Take Further Action
So you set them a polite request and they ignored you. It figures. Depending on where they're using it, you might have further recourse. If they're using it on a site or forum that is run by a third party, you might be able to contact the site owner (or staff,) explain the situation and request that the graphic be removed from their account.

As with the polite request, use a simmilar method when contacting the site owner. Remember, enforcing your rules is not their primary responsibility and odds are they probably don't really care. If you're lucky, they will be willing to help you but if they aren't, you may be screwed. In that case, turn back to Get Over It and give it another try.

Avoiding The Headache
There is one really obvious way to avoid the headache and that is, quite simply, not to care. If that's not something you can do, however, there is another option - on graphic crediting.

I know, I know, I railed on it earlier, but that is when someone else requires you to on-graphic credit for their stocks or resources. If you are trying to on-graphic credit yourself, there are some extremely unobtrusive ways to do it.

Symbols:
For a long time, any banner that came from me had a small, pulsating star on it. This worked really well for me as it gave me an easy way to "sign" my work without sticking my name on it. No, people probably didn't look at the first graphic they saw with the pulsating star on it and say "That's BitterEpiphany's!" but after seeing enough of them, people started to ask and put the pieces together. You could use any symbol - a star, a circle, anything - you could even design your own symbol (best created in a brush) either way, they can be done in colors and styles that make it blend into the graphic but still appear when you look for them.

Signatures:
The second, and more obvious, method is to use a signature on the design. Scan your signature, choose a font or - better yet, use a font that matches the design and put your penname somewhere on the banner.

In the past, there have been a lot of artsis that do this but I think i've yet to see it done "right" at The Dark Arts. If you're going to do this you need to

a] choose a font and color that suit the banner
b] choose an unobtrusive location
c] ensure that your name is not larger (or at least not more visible) that the authors penname or their story title and quotes.

THIS, by Susan, also needs to be read, regarding tutorial based graphics in your gallery:

QUOTE (violet ephemera)
A list for quick reference, created due to numerous confusion. smile.gif

1. tutorial graphics can be included in galleries. while they do not help you with promotion, with proper credit or alteration, they are acceptable to include.

2. tutorial graphics should not appear in challenges. if you have used parts of tutorials, like a little trick or something small, that's of course fine. A complete colouring scheme, however, it not acceptable.

3. tutorial graphics can be made for requests, though it does get messy. in these cases, try to follow the same rule as for challenges - parts of tutorials can be used, but not complete areas (mostly colouring - that's the big one).

4. tutorials are for helping you learn new things, not to steal styles from others. If you're clever enough to steal someone's style without using a tutorial, then kudos to you. Creativity, however, it always perfered. Remember, I'm omniscient and know all the tutorials and styles.
wink.gif

ALSO: A Few Things You Should Know In General:

- The software version noted next to these tutorial names refers to the software used to make the graphic - this does not mean that the tutorial cannot be adapted for another program. Some are very translatable, especially those that don’t involve Selective Coloring.

- If you find a tutorial you believe to be inappropriate for this section - i.e., something that cannot be executed in different software, a tutorial that is improperly explained, etc.... please PM a moderator or administrator regarding the subject and, remember to include a link and an explanation of why you are contesting its validity.

- It is always nice for a tutorial author to see your results. Please post them!

- new tutorials posted must meet the criteria posted in the pinned Rules topic.

#3 Ande

Ande

tda's resident killian jones

• Master Artist
  • 5,927 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:16 AM

If you have a question about a program:

PLEASE try to pm someone from the +Magical List Of Assisting Artists that shares your program to try and keep this area from getting cluttered. If you don't get a response in a timely manner, or it's a bit of an emergency, feel free to go ahead and post your question right away.

Please make sure you are serious about your question, and please try to be as descriptive as possible, so we can be entirely sure of what it is you need help with. smile.gif

Also, just like everywhere else: Do not bump posts.

Edited by Mercury, 31 July 2014 - 01:54 PM.

2XeZUM4.gif
Wakanda forever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users