--

MSwszWv.png

FsFzl6f.png

KNEJk9F.gif

gs9CecG.png6PJkZ2Q.png

pxYrjx2.png

3OQDBsK.png

BbX1G1v.png

Edited by decoded., 04 August 2014 - 04:47 PM.

Call me Jan and I'll give you a  c o o k i e <3

7zNHDwe.jpg
{ gallery . P W . available .}

#2 LailaMarie

LailaMarie
  • 220 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:27 PM

FIRST!!

Hi, I'm Lala, a fellow Member Artist. Just thought I'd stop by and drool over your things. They are lovely, by the way. I really love your first sig, this one. I'm green sort of person, so I like it alot. smile.gif One thing though, the first two sigs in that sorting are actually Sets, it might come up in Promotions, so thought you might like to know.

Another thing, some of your images have identifying marks on them, like 'SomethingSomethingJoBro.tumblr.com' I don't know if it was something you put on them, but using images that have royalties on them is a big deal here.

Some good sites to look for high quality, uncopywritted images is: SweetandTalented and Cheeky Resources. These are really good sites, lots of awesome pictures.

Text on your graphics is pretty good, I don't know if you've found DaFont.com, but it's another good sites, with lots of fonts.

Anyways, I hope to see you round the forums, and have a great time. biggrin.gif
Posted Image
Lai | GIMP | {My Gallery}

#3 decoded.

decoded.

Shh, it's okay. I'ma Ninja

• Graduate Artist
  • 376 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:29 PM

Thank you so much Lala! smile.gif
The Tumblr thing on there I put on there.I original made them for my Tumblr but I though they looked good enough to put on here at TDA. (I'll try to take them off though so there's no problems). Also the 'Sets' sign was what i was missing. I knew I was missing one. lol.
Thanks for the nice comments, tip and sites that I will DIFFINITLY be using now smile.gif

7zNHDwe.jpg

#4 Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn

Oh the simulated horror

• 1,269 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:52 PM

Ahhhh! Welcome back to tda, dear! biggrin.gif I hope that you like our graphics community. th_hug.gif

I like the things you have so far - this sig is absolutely gorgeous and I want to steal your colouring on it. *drool* You seem to be a natural at colouring. happy2.gif I would suggest a bit of surface blur and then sharpening on your graphics to give them a more "shiny finished" look. The icons especially need a bit of sharpening, but the composition, cuts and colouring are <3333.

I am expecting great things from you in the future, just keep doing graphics and getting better. happy2.gif

~Maya

previously known as kaileena_sands
Hi there! ^^ I am Maya and I'm unavailable for a while
~amazing set brought to you by Ayesha's ungodly skills~
Posted Image
Gallery

#5 decoded.

decoded.

• Graduate Artist
  • 376 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:33 PM

Thank you, Maya! biggrin.gif
I'm sooo glad you liked my gallery! And my coloring! I just started getting into major coloring too. And thanks for the tip. I've been trying to improve the sharpness and you just gave me the answer. I'm so excited to use it now! smile.gif
Hope to see you around the forums soon!

Thanks for the inspiring words too.

7zNHDwe.jpg

#6 a muffin

a muffin

muffins pwn.

• Graduate Artist
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:47 PM

hello there, my name's bex wink.gif welcome to
TDA! here are some helpful links you may want
to check out:

Helpful Hints for New TDA Artists
Tutorial Central
Photoshop Tutorials
Promotions 101
Optimizing Your Gallery for Promotions
Critique Corner

i'd be happy to answer any questions you may
have about the site. happy2.gif as for your gallery,
you've got a great start here! my biggest piece
of advice for you right now would be to watch the
quality of the images you use. make sure they are
too blurry or too sharp or else it throws off the
whole graphic. also be very careful with textures--
if you use too many, it just makes the graphic
look either grainy or else very busy and cluttered.

with your text, i think you should try out some fonts
that are so extravagant that they take away from the
images in the graphic. also be sure to define a clear
focus for your graphics, so people know where to
look automatically and then their eyes can travel
around the rest of the image in a natural way. (if
that doesn't make sense, just say so, and i'll try
to articulate it better!)

always experiment and don't be afraid to try new
things--and most importantly, seek out critique or
else it's hard to gauge your progress! <3 good luck!

Edited by the terminator, 14 June 2011 - 02:48 PM.

a n n
previously the terminator || mostly unavailable, pm before requesting
Posted Image
gallery&redheads ufg&female oc ufg
&wallpaper ufg&oc ship ufg&about me

P-O-S-T-Y, P-O-S-T-Y

#7 toxicx3

toxicx3
  • Junior Artist
  • 286 posts
  • Software:Elements

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:47 PM

Here for the requested critique...you said you wanted no mercy.......

AND YOU DONT NEED IT!!! (:

Seriously your work is really good. Your quite good at Icons ( which I suck massivly at by the way ). Your Hayley Williams ones are great.

I also quite like the demi lovato red set (: I love the paint splatters.

My biggest critique would be to try and get better images, like higher quality. It can make or break a graphic!

I also reccomend, like so many others have told me to wink.gif, to check out the tutorial center (Here(: ). All of those are really helpful!

And mostly just keep practicing (:

th_hug.gif

Gallery FanFiction

FallingInTooDeep.png

Hey there. Im Becca(:

#8 decoded.

decoded.

• Graduate Artist
  • 376 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:37 PM

OMG! Thank you so much.
It really means a lot that you said that. And I know what you mean... Image quality is everything.
And I've been looking at tutorials religiously since last week. I think I'm ready to try out some new techniques and put them up for some more critiques. Also I might try experimenting with GIMP as well.

(BTW: My favorite is the Demi Lovato set too. I love her!)

Thanks again!

7zNHDwe.jpg

#9 jeremyy

jeremyy
  • Graduate Artist
  • 640 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:35 PM

Hi, I'm Jeremy. smile.gif
You have a lot of great stuff so far! Especially those Hayley icons and your signatures!<333
For a critique, I'd recommend finding higher quality images.
Oh, and when you go to resize an image, try to keep it to scale.
Like, on your Demi Lovato sig, you seem to have stretched her out in the background, making her look warped.
Besides those things, you have a really great gallery!
Just keep practicing, following tutorials, and experimenting and you'll definitely become incredible!<33
More than you already are, of course.
smile.gif

I'm Jeremy, and I'm indefinitely back!

dcsig-1.png

Gallery.

#10 decoded.

decoded.

• Graduate Artist
  • 376 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:07 PM

Hello Jeremy! th_hug.gif
Thank you so much for the advice smile.gif
Image quality is my kryptonite. I've always had that problem. Honestly, I think the pictures are pretty nice quality before I mess with them so I think its my fault they turn out bad in the graphics. But I'm getting better... I think. lol.
The Hayley icons are my pride and joy <33

Thanks again.
btw I'm stalking you. Have to learn from the best somehow biggrin.gif
Your gallery's incredible! Can't stop drooling over your Hayley sigs. jaw-dropping.gif

7zNHDwe.jpg

#11 libertas.

libertas.

sunshine

• Junior Artist
  • 522 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:02 PM

Hello Janee ~
You passed by my gallery the other day, so I figured I'd do the same.
I think you have some really good stuff in your gallery ^___^
My favourite has to be the Pirates of the Caribbean blend.
[I knew you had to be cool once you commented on my signature] tongue1.gif

Just look out for image quality and do not be afraid to experiment happy2.gif
I hope to see more of your stuff!
~ Mafee.

hello my name is m a f e e

UwAmset.png
and i am a v a i l a b l e !

#12 decoded.

decoded.

• Graduate Artist
  • 376 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:10 PM

Thank you Mafee!
I'm glad you like the blend. I'm thinking of doing another one to replace it with since it's getting kinda old.
Btw: I'm drooling over your JD set as I type. dxmjae.png

7zNHDwe.jpg

#13 aspen_aureline

aspen_aureline

TDAs Resident 'Sharpen' Nazi

• Senior Artist
  • 423 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:23 AM

Hey there! I'm Aspen, here with your requested critique ^__^

Okay so, we'll start with your strengths.

---------------------------

I love the cuts you have with your icons. They're interesting and dynamic, and I love that not all of them are people. You have a shot of a flower or just a hand/arm, and you even add stuff to them instead of making them simple crops. That's REALLY good, and something higher ranking artists don't always do well. There are a few I would suggest taking out, though, to make the set as a whole better. I'll use a row/column format so you know which one I'm talking about.

Remove: R1C1, R2C2, R4C1, R4C3
Reasons (in order): not a fan of the text or texture on this one. I don't think the glowy blue color fits the icon or set very well, which (leading into the next icon I suggested you remove) is why I suggested the first two removals // this isn't bad, but it's too similar to R5C4. It's fantastic that you were so creative with only using one picture, but try not to have stuff that's too similar (like here where you just made the image a bit smaller) // I don't like the text or lines on this one. It takes the focal point away from the girl and is really distracting. Plus, again, not a fan of the glowy blue color. Oh, and I'll mention that I don't like the glowy blue brush in R2C4 either D: these icons are bringing the set as a whole down a notch.

Loves: R1C3, R2C3, R3C1, R4C2, R5C1, and the last three (D, E, S)
These are just absolutely fantastic, though my favorite is R1C3. That is without-a-doubt the best icon in the set; I just adore how you did it. They're interesting, creative, dynamic, and just beautiful. Each one has something different about it that sets it apart from every other icon, whether its the cut, the way you arranged the images like in R1C3 and R4C2, or just being simple and gorgeous, like the flower. The last three are unique in their own way, and they look just as amazing. Same pic as the above ones, but completely different look and coloring. They look AMAZING. These could stand alone as a set and look really good.

Overall critique on these: some of them really need to be sharpened D: I actually think I suggested removing each one that needed it, except R2C4. He's blurry. Most of them, however, are stunning, as I've mentioned. You really have an eye for unique cuts. If you're going to do that many icons from a single image again, I would suggest doing some zooming. For example, get a cut of just an eye, or lips.

(Continuation of strengths)

-----------------------------

Blending: wow! I'm really impressed; you really have a good grasp on blending, whether it's hardcutting or soft blending. You see it most in your banners, but you're really fantastic at blending in all your graphics. Only thing I see wrong (and Im being nitpicky here) is that in your Obvious Future CI, the blending on his left (our right) arm is soft where it should be hardcut. It's alright for the soft blending where he meets that texture, but you started soft blending his arm too soon, on a part that isn't by the texture'd portion. So just watch that <3

Alright, now...weaknesses.

Let's start with text. I'll just give you some basic tips and pointers. For starters, on smaller text, use capital letters. Anything else is distracting, and caps it just a lot smoother and cleaner looking (referring to your HP CI, animated skyscraper sig, and monster sig). Next, if you're using two "artistic" fonts (basically anything that isn't something like times new roman, arial, georgia...those types) then they need to compliment each other. In your 'dont give up baby' banner, the two fonts don't look good together. I like 'dont', but I dont like 'give up baby'. I would have done it in the same font you did the quote in. Also, quotes should almost always be in a "normal" font (the ones I mentioned earlier). The font in 'fake' looks distracting. It's the first thing I notice in the banner, which isn't what you want. If you had done a 9 point Times font, it would look really good and fit well with the banner. This is one of my favorites, by the way <3

Your best font use is in 'teach me how to love'. Everything works really well together =) You also have a good grasp of gradient overlays and the drop shadow/glow technique, though I would have used it to make 'monster' stand out in that sig.

OHOH just remembered something else. When rotating text in CS5, convert it to a shape layer. If you right click the layer, you'll see an option that says something like 'convert to shape'. Click it wink.gif then you can rotate your text without losing the quality. Took me ages to learn that, but it's super helpful!

Aaand now we get to image quality, lol. You...are kind of all over the place, my dear! Some of your stuff is severely undersharpened, and others oversharpened. I took a few of your pieces and just tried sharpening them, and in most cases that did the trick. It went from LQ to HQ just like that. Now, you won't want to sharpen JUST at the end, because some stuff will get oversharpened. Sharpen images as you put them onto your canvas. In order to avoid oversharpenning, copy the layer you're sharpening and then when you sharpen the one layer, lower the opacity until it's sharp without being TOO sharp. Sometimes you barely have to lower it, other times you need to do it a bit more.

Just play around with it and learn to notice when it starts to get pixelly--the main places you want to look are hair, eyes, and lips. Those get pixelly faster than other places, so pay extra attention to them. For example: in this+ banner, his hair is too sharp, and the girl on the right is oversharpened as well. The girl in the middle is perfect. This one+: girl on the right is way too blurry, everything else is waaay oversharpened (and over filtered =P Im not sure what you did to the plants and stuff, but it looks really weird). For your blend, I sharpened it and the two girls on top (who look very blurry) looked perfect. I think that's your main image quality problem--just sharpening stuff to the right degree.

Another way to make sure your IQ stays good is to always save as a PNG. It doesn't lower the quality as much as JPG or other formats do. One more tip--download Topaz bundle pack at demonoid (i think you can google that site). Most artists on TDA have it so if you can't find it on there, ask one of them. Topaz has a lot of amazing effects that, if used in MODERATION--had to emphasize that =P--can make a graphic ten times better. My favorite one is Topaz Clean. It can really clean up a pixelly image by blurring it a bit, and...well, I think it can do other stuff, but that's what I use it for lol. It can smooth images out. Coloring is another thing that lowers image quality. Too many coloring/adjustment layers can really damage an image's quality, so just watch out for that.

---------------------

Overall, you are off to a really fantastic start. I would say your strengths are/will be banners (once you get the image quality and text down pat) and icons. Possibly blends too, because I like the one you have. Just keep on working on the things I mentioned and you will be WELL on your way to earning a new shade of blue! If you have any questions, want to get critique on specific/new pieces, or just feel like chatting, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM or add me to msn. I have no life; I'm on all the time XD GOOD LUCK, DEAR <3

Edited by aspen_aureline, 19 September 2011 - 09:34 PM.

Yes, I'm available! PM me if you request me so I see it right away!

Lilia2%20Color.png
°•call me aspen•° --- °•gallery here - updated 8.25•°

#14 decoded.

decoded.

• Graduate Artist
  • 376 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:05 AM

Thank you!
This is just what I needed, tips and advice to make not only my gallery better but my graphics itself.
I'm so glad you loved some of my graphics :3 It makes me excited that I'm getting better.
I just want you to know I took everything you said to heart and applied it.

I sure hope it helps me with promotions this month.
^-^

7zNHDwe.jpg

#15 abyss

abyss

abyss(mal)

• Dark Arts Digest
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

Hi there!
This is a really nice gallery you have here!
You banners and other graphics are really unique and awesome... I love your first two chapter images! <3
Oh, by the way, the "your" in this+ graphic should actually be "you're"...
Sorry, I'm just a stickler for grammar. biggrin.gif
~Khanh

i felt myself a p u r e part of the a b y s s - -
khanh ♥ previously Chocolate_Frog ♥ if it fits, i ship it
renegadesig.png
available / gallery / june e. & declan q.s on pw / daisy is queen of insults
 / p.neruda

- - my h e a r t broke loose on the w i n d

#16 decoded.

decoded.

• Graduate Artist
  • 376 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:37 PM

Thank you!
Those are my favorites as well.
&&I'll fix it soon smile.gif

7zNHDwe.jpg

#17 deceit

deceit
  • Staff Artist
  • 1,041 posts
  • Software:Paint Shop Pro

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:07 PM

Oh wow darling. You've improved so much over time! everything is so amazinggg! I love everything in here smile.gif

not available for request.

wzRMn5u.png

amanda is incredible. <3

whitney | saints&sinners |

#18 decoded.

decoded.

• Graduate Artist
  • 376 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:08 PM

Thank you, Whitney! <3
th_hug.gif

Edited by B_Skulls, 26 September 2011 - 11:08 PM.

7zNHDwe.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users