#1 Violet

Violet

Grumpy Old Violet

• Staff Artist
  • 12,466 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:50 PM

There was a post in the HPFF Requests section today that stated:
I got a pm from a member artist wanting to take a crack at my banner request, so could you please move it hear so she can make her claim on it, pretty please?

Member Artists are not permitted to PM requestors, asking to "take a crack" at a request. It is no different from filling the request when it's in the wrong section, ergo, it is against the rules. In some ways, it's actually worse than filling the request outright because you're doing it behind the backs of the moderators, hiding your name so that you cannot be caught in the act.

While it is clearly understandable that many Member Artists are enthusiastic to take requests, getting practice and getting their work out there. There are more Member Artists than there are requests to fill them, so why not let you all fill all the requests you want?

Answer: quality of TDA work. The most important aspect of promoting an artist from Member to Junior is "whether they are capable of filling requests" - this means capable of making technically solid and aesthetically pleasing graphics. Member Artists are those who may be close to this point, but are not there yet. To allow all artists equal capability of filling requests would lower the standard of quality as well as the overall reputation of this site's artists.

Never PM requestors asking to take their requests. If you do, you will be given a 10% warning. Do it again, you will lose your artist title and not be put on the promotion list for two months.

The request referred to in the quote above will not be moved, even though it means frustrating the requestor. Please do not put me in this position again.

ecPUaD5.png
Fanfiction ~*~ Gallery
not available for requests

#2 slitherinlove

slitherinlove
  • 225 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:57 PM

Not to insult anyone by this comment, but i think TDA is making a LITTLE bit too big of a deal out of this. Graphic designing is supposed to be about having fun and using your creativity, and i gotta say, you guys make this a lot more competative and less fun than it should be. Also, the requester didn't seem too upset by a member wanting to take her request...so why should you guys care? just because it "breaks" one of your rules? I say we just take a chill pill, and try and loosen up the reins on all the artists a bit. Why would we come to a site if not to have fun? and having a million rules makes it not as fun as it could be.

#3 BARTLEBY.

BARTLEBY.

so throw your diamonds in the sky, we'll stay gold forever.

• 428 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:22 PM

I see your side, slitherinlove. However, I'm going to say that while some people are here to make graphics for fun and have a good time, they don't have to fill requests. Some artists, myself included, are members here because we want to pursue graphic designing as a career, and in the world past TDA, it's very competitive. While it may not necessarily be TDA's prime objective to prepare us for the competition we could face, it certainly does help.
    I think that before saying TDA should "take a chill pill", you should have considered other reasons for all the rules and restrictions on certain artists.

i'm keisha.
i'm a dead lurker. ]:
previously yoitskeisha

#4 a muffin

a muffin

muffins pwn.

• Graduate Artist
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:30 PM

slitherinlove, this really is not a matter open for dicussion. If it were, it would be posted in the feedback area. confusedslant.gif It would be appreciated if you'd perhaps read a little more into things before making comments like this. This matter been been discussed and thoroughly outlined a number of times. I do not mean to demean you, honestly, but the admins are much more experienced than any of us can really understand. They take opinions into considerations because they are fair, just people, but they will not bend the rules that make TDA the high-quality site that it is because certain members do not like them.

Anyone else feeling this way should really read Susan's post a bit more thoroughly, and maybe then you can understand. Even if you do not understand, please respect her decisions. She's not an idiot.

Please do not spam this topic any further. It is information, not dicussion. Thank you.

a n n
previously the terminator || mostly unavailable, pm before requesting
Posted Image
gallery&redheads ufg&female oc ufg
&wallpaper ufg&oc ship ufg&about me

P-O-S-T-Y, P-O-S-T-Y

#5 Rica

Rica

[back in 10 minutes]

• Staff Artist
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:53 PM

(Gah sorry I really hope this doesnt count as spam, but) TDA's primary function is to make story graphics for fan fiction.

To quote Susan
Answer: quality of TDA work. The most important aspect of promoting an artist from Member to Junior is "whether they are capable of filling requests" - this means capable of making technically solid and aesthetically pleasing graphics. Member Artists are those who may be close to this point, but are not there yet. To allow all artists equal capability of filling requests would lower the standard of quality as well as the overall reputation of this site's artists.

Edited by tovsy, 14 December 2009 - 11:55 PM.

Rica is rusty but available
(new) gallery | {canon ufg} | {female ufg} | {ships ufg}
signature by the wonderful easterlies

Posted Image

#6 Violet

Violet

Grumpy Old Violet

• Staff Artist
  • 12,466 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:28 AM

I do understand the Member Artist point of view. All of us have been member artists at one point, so it'd be impossible not to understand. However, all the games in the world have "rules" do them that have to be followed; even though they're just fun, the purpose of the game is defeated when everyone breaks the rules.

I will only take a chill pill when people are all considerate, kind, understanding, and don't run about trying to break the rules behind the staff's back. sleep.gif

ecPUaD5.png
Fanfiction ~*~ Gallery

#7 Violet

Violet

Grumpy Old Violet

• Staff Artist
  • 12,466 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:44 PM

Bumping this out of dire need.

If you are a member artist, you are welcome to fill Member Requests and Specific Requests that name you. When you do so, please remember to keep everything in the thread - requests for changes, new edits, etc.

This is no rule of my own, but rather one that we use so that HPFF can't get mad that we give them graphics that violate their rules. For instance, the size has to be correct, as does the content (so that it remains at a 12+ level).

You can discuss things over PM with your requestor, but in the end, the final product must be posted in the thread. I hope that you can understand the need for this and are able to comply with this request. smile.gif

ecPUaD5.png
Fanfiction ~*~ Gallery

#8 Violet

Violet

Grumpy Old Violet

• Staff Artist
  • 12,466 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:28 PM

Please note that if you are a Member Artist on this site, you are obligated to know the rules of requests from which requests you are permitted to take to the size and content those graphics should be. If you don't know the rules yet, then please read them now, as they are clearly posted. But for your benefit, these are the most important rules for the Requesting Arena that all artists should know:

1. Be aware of the allowable content and graphic sizes for the site the graphic will appear on. Every site has its own set of rules.
2. If you are a Member Artist, you may ONLY fill Member Requests or Specific Requests (that are in your name).
3. You cannot bully requestors into letting you fill their request either in the forum itself or via the PM system.

When you post a gallery, it is assumed that you are agreeing to the rules of this site for artists. Therefore, if you break the rules, not just once by accident, but deviously or constantly, the admins are well within their bounds to revoke your status as an artist.

The question many Member Artists ask is "why?" Why can't they fill requests like everyone else?

The answer? Standards of quality. TDA has a high standard because we want to maintain a high reputation in our field of graphic design, and to be honest, only about 10% of the Member Artists on this site can produce work of a high enough standard. When I see a graphic credited "by ____ @ TDA", I want to see something impressive, not a graphic made in Paint. Particularly on sites like HPFF, authors want to "sell" their stories with banners that catch the eye and capture the interest of readers, and they expect a certain standard when they come to request from us.

If you want to fill more requests, then there's only one thing you can do. Improve your work so that you can be promoted. Look at how many Staff Artists we have - they all started in the same place as you, and if you want it badly enough and are willing to work for it, you can be as good as them and fill requests to your heart's delight. But until then, please follow the rules.

ecPUaD5.png
Fanfiction ~*~ Gallery

#9 Violet

Violet

Grumpy Old Violet

• Staff Artist
  • 12,466 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:46 PM

Please note that if you, a Member Artist, are going to ask a requestor to have their topic moved to a place where you can fill it (which is, I must add, against the rules, but I know that some of you still do this), make sure that you have them move their request to Specific Artists.

Member Artists MAY fill Specific Artist requests that specifically name them.

If a request is moved to the Member Artists Requests area, then ANY Member Artist may fill it. I have heard today of a request where the MA sadly lacked the foresight that a great many MAs like filling requests, and now it has caused much confusion for both the requestor and the other MA who wanted to fill the request.

I much appreciate the work of those MAs who are honestly working toward promotion and closely observe TDAs rules as they do so. Those who do neither of these, however, will not be tolerated on this site and will have their artist rank removed if they are caught trying to circumvent the rules of the Requesting Arena.

ecPUaD5.png
Fanfiction ~*~ Gallery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users