November [x]
by sammich by bittersweetflames
by Cirque du Sailor
by carpe.noctem
by PitchBlue

Copyrighted Images Masterlist | Copyright Rules | Roll the Credits

Photo

Contest!with traditional completely intangible tda prizes!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 BitterEpiphany

BitterEpiphany

i'm famous on the internet

• Site Owner
  • 3,156 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:41 PM

Got your attention - huh?

We all know how much everyone loves competitions - and how much everyone loves completely intangible prizes around here, so it seemed like high time to have another one.

TDA is in need of a new skin - well, need might be a strong word, but we're definitely in want of a new skin...but before you get despondent (because as anyone who has ever tried to do it can tell you, skinning for IBP is tedious, dull and unsatisfying or because you don't know HTML) read on...

Entries should be submitted as a flat jpg/png/gif of what your skin will look like. All you have to do is the photoshop work. If your design is chosen, I will do all of the coding - so that should open things up to a wider audience of participants.

SUBMISSION RULES:
- you must be a tda member (duh)
- your design must be submitted as a flat .jpg/.gif/.png
- you must be able to provide a .psd/.pdf version of your design
- your image must be submitted by April 21st. Round numbers. Also, I hate Tuesdays, so give me something to look forward to tongue1.gif

TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS:

Size:
- your skin must either scale (grow or shrink to fit the users screen resolution) or be no larger than 780x450 pixels

Content:
- somewhere on it, your skin must say "the dark arts"
- your skin must incorporate an area for rotators. (the dimensions of this area are not set - so they can be whatever size you like)
- TDA doesn't often have a lot of main page content. we really prefer to keep things to the forum where possible, but we do reserve the right to occasionally say SOMETHING, so give us somewhere to do it.

Judging Criteria
Admins reserve the right to ultimate and final say on a skin, with no explanation offered. BUT, of course we try not to be trolls, so here's some idea of what we're looking for.

First, of course we're looking for something that puts the site's best foot forward. Over time, TDA has grown to be more than just a place for HPFF banners - and that's a great thing - but it also means that slapping a picture of Harry on the main page isn't really the best plan for us, so try to avoid any obvious fandoms unless you're really knocking things out of the park. Also, rotators are very important to the TDA main page as they showcase our artists work. For that reason, making sure that your skin will be able to "work" with them is important.

Finally, the last thing you really need to consider is that I do have to code this, which means even if you make the best design ever, if it's too difficult to code or live within, we may choose something else. It's not personal, I promise tongue1.gif

How To Submit:
Images may be submitted by posting them in this thread anytime between now and the deadline date of April 21st.

#2 Redemption

Redemption

Creaminator

• 2,964 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:47 PM

I just want to get this cleared up--this is for the main TDA page, as in the black page we see with rotators as soon as we enter in the dark arts website link? I know this might be stupid, considering you mentioned rotators, but I just want it cleared. tongue1.gif

GRACIE
Posted Image
GALERÍAUFG'STSEBLOG

#3 Antiquity

Antiquity
  • Member Artist
  • 4,220 posts
  • Software:Paint Shop Pro

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:11 PM

^yeah, same...this is for the opening black page, right? XD

#4 xxbrokendreamsxx

xxbrokendreamsxx
  • 95 posts
  • Software:Other

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:16 PM

I have the same question they have, also can member artist's do it? Or is it just Junior level and up?
Posted Image
HPFF | Gallery
{Avaliable for requests}

#5 Violet

Violet

Grumpy Old Violet

• Staff Artist
  • 12,472 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

Yes, for the page the-dark-arts.net smile.gif And anyone can enter, no matter the ranking.

ecPUaD5.png
tumblr ~*~ fanfiction ~*~ gallery
not available for requests

#6 Estevan

Estevan

Feelin' So Fly Like A D-Criss

• Staff Artist
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:01 AM

I never thought I'd say this but NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I'm going away for most of this month (Driving to New York today) and the deadlines actually my B-day (I'll be in Denver without Connection or Program), can you please extend the deadline to the end of April or is it really needed like now for Summer? I really wanna participate!

- Had to edit because its now Today rather than tomorrow XD...I should sleep.

Edited by Estevan, 08 April 2009 - 12:04 AM.

#7 avra

avra

*dances*

• 1,913 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:34 AM

I'm just curious, since I know nothing about coding or anything like that, what makes a design easy or hard to code?

avatar made by the amazing and great BitterSweetFlames and sig by me!
Posted Image
^click for my gallery^
EVA

#8 Astariel

Astariel

Does your depravity know no bounds?

• Designer
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:13 AM

yay! *huggles kay*
though i usually code while i design so i get an idea of how it looks
and what would and wouldn't work or look right. either way, i'm happy! XD

Posted Image

c l i c k    f o r    m y    s i t e

#9 BitterEpiphany

BitterEpiphany

i'm famous on the internet

• Site Owner
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE (avra @ Apr 8 2009, 12:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm just curious, since I know nothing about coding or anything like that, what makes a design easy or hard to code?

QUOTE (Colorkiller @ Apr 9 2009, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yay! *huggles kay*
though i usually code while i design so i get an idea of how it looks
and what would and wouldn't work or look right. either way, i'm happy! XD

It's hard to say what specifically will make a design hard or easy to code. I designed a super cute skin in flat once - really adorable - but it had a little window on the righthand side that was supposed to scroll images...yeah, somehow getting all of the tables to work like they should have WITH the scrolling images and the expansion? At some point my head tried to explode, so I had to modify it...that's the sort of stuff I mean. It's not anything specific, it's just that sometimes, you're going to run into something that is too hard to be worth it.

#10 Abyssica

Abyssica

endings, as you know, are where we begin ♥♥

• 1,748 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:25 PM

ok, so i know nothing of coding, but i tried to make this fairly simple-looking. (also, i got all the images from stock.xchng so they're royalty free) please let me know if there's anything i need to change, because i'm not completely sure whether i did this right or not.
XD

[click for psd download]

t i n a
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
HPFF || NEW TDA GALLERY || LJ
. u n a v a i l a b l e . f o r . r e q u e s t s .

#11 Moonys Aimee

Moonys Aimee

Nintendo Game Tester

• Veteran Artist
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:20 PM

Miranda Kerr's legs are acting as a rotator XD [here] is a plain .png. [Here] is the psd smile.gif

[GALLERY] [LIVEJOURNAL]
man, that's 50 shades of CRAY

Posted Image

#12 dust & decay

dust & decay

ultimate keane fangirl <3

• Veteran Artist
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:49 PM

hope this isn't too complicated D:
links - background pattern ; psd file

best of luck, everyone! <3

- mini

xHFJDPx.png

CALL ME MINI <3

[ GALLERY

#13 Vivid!

Vivid!

Ich habe Sprengstoffe in mein Dudelsacke.

• 943 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:47 AM

This was too much fun tongue1.gif

PSD download is [here]

Um ... so ... it looks a bit confusing. But I have a bit of experience of website coding, and I'm pretty sure it won't be too hard to code. confusedslant.gif

Hope it's okay.
<div align='center'>
<!--coloro:#808080--><span style="color:#808080"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:6--><span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Impact--><span style="font-family:Impact"><!--/fonto--><b>LUCY.</b><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
IS BACK. MUAHAHA.
<b>AVAILABLE</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><a href="http://the-dark-arts...howtopic=66468" target="_blank">
<!--coloro:#008080--><span style="color:#008080"><!--/coloro-->NEW GALLERY<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></a> <!--coloro:#000000--><span style="color:#000000"><!--/coloro-->.... <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><a href="http://www.harrypott...?showuid=40373" target="_blank"><!--coloro:#008080--><span style="color:#008080"><!--/coloro-->HPFF<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></a><!--coloro:#000000--><span style="color:#000000"><!--/coloro--> ... <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><a href="http://www.nanowrimo...ng/user/420432" target="_blank"><!--coloro:#008080--><span style="color:#008080"><!--/coloro-->NaNo<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></a> <!--coloro:#000000--><span style="color:#000000"><!--/coloro-->...<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <a href="http://www.fictionce...showuser=22293" target="_blank"><!--coloro:#008080--><span style="color:#008080"><!--/coloro-->HPFF Forums<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></a> <!--coloro:#000000--><span style="color:#000000"><!--/coloro-->...<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

</div>

#14 Little Plebe

Little Plebe

Madam Worksalot

• Junior Artist
  • 2,299 posts
  • Location:1A Forlorn Apt, Desolate Street, Depression Point, Wretchedland

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:16 AM

Oh man, this was awesome! 2yl8tvq.gif Okay, so I'm no coder and I wouldn't really know what's difficult or easy to code but I still tried my best. I dunno - are adjustments layers hard to code or is this a stupid question? 'Coz I kinda used colour balance and stuff to balance the colouring ph34r.gif unsure.gif Also, fearing Kay, I didn't merge even the similar layers in my psd file.

this is the .png link and this is the .psd link.

#15 fantôme

fantôme

britland mod! o:

• 3,528 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:32 PM

i hope this is okay, i had so much fun doing this! ^^

[png] & [psd]

Edited by Beautiful Disaster, 15 April 2009 - 02:32 PM.

Posted Image

<span style="font-family: times new roman" ,="" times,="" serif'="">a broken heart is blind

#16 adieu

adieu

"I'm there when it matters."

• 1,424 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:28 PM

I hope this is OK. happy2.gif I know a minimal amount about coding, so I tried to keep it simple without it seeming too empty. If any changes are needed just let me know! I'm using photoplus, so I don't have psd's I have spp's, so I'm not sure if you just want me to give you an empty base or if you can open my spp file? ^^

png - psd.

#17 .showmetheLOVE

.showmetheLOVE

hell has finally broken loose upon us

• 3,628 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:16 PM

png image
psd download

eh, why not xD

OH! And, I never intended for the random header I chose from the switch thing to match the colors xD

Edited by .showmetheLOVE, 15 April 2009 - 08:18 PM.

Posted Image

call me desiree =]

gallery hpff
if you request, message me. I won't see otherwise =)

Posted Image

#18 Aquarius

Aquarius
  • Veteran Artist
  • 643 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:09 PM

The beautiful rotator wasn't made by me, I just used it as an example. smile.gif

png | .psd

I stand no chance. D:

Edited by Aquarius, 16 April 2009 - 12:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users