#1 hecate.

hecate.
  • Graduate Artist
  • 439 posts
  • Software:GIMP
  • Vault Points:123

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:28 AM

g8DaQYU.png

game of thrones. greatest showman. netflix. kit harington. emilia clarke. the night circus. football. zac efron. harry potter. 

newest at the top

BANNERS

r2zcEDt.png

cd2xwVc.png

pCB4jTU.png

SIGNATURES

nJIYoA6.png

mMdf0QW.png

IXjt8KQ.png

wml7ylw.png

uurqquJ.png

CHAPTER IMAGES

9ztmXa9.png

ReexWKs.png

54KAnTJ.png

3VUhYV4.png

YUt5ykn.png

ICONS

g2sqfvM.png

7fs80F2.png

BLENDS

15HqTw4.png

AWARDS     

EBv1c12.png

T2gZjOL.png
Q4Levz1.png
 golden. and miss atomic bomb <3

CREDITS

Deviant Art

doloresminette - evey-v - KrypteriaHG - carllton - FrostAlexis - MariaRaute2 - blueshoodesigns - sixxtear - Abbysidian - Foxy159200 - ByEny - dariayourlocalidiot - paradise234 - TheEdgeOfDemi - nk-ash - hulsuga - evey d - graphicavita - irwinthegod - tove_91 - silvermedusa - so-ghislaine - dekstiles - vytuzki - Starved-Soul - crazychuchu - cypher-s - lilithdemoness - zyleigh - lilithtrash - 4mira - 9-liters-of-art - beapanda - DenysDigitalArtwork (denysroquedesign) - SpringSabila - rippedhisheart - jakepatt - leeight - new-americana - maeappleseed

TDA

saturn. - KaYLO REN - choobacca - miss atomic bomb - endlessly.

Websites

dafont.com - lilycollins.us - lily-james.com - hqdiesel - emilia-clarke.com - natalie-dormer.org - halstonsage.net - alex-pettyfer.net - hq-pictures.com - sophie-cookson.com - jenniferlawrence.org - aheardfan.com - forums.fashionspot.com

Other

James White for Wonderland Magazine, 2015 - Tom Newton: Benjamin Puckey's Take on the 70s - Kristine Froseth by Kate Irwin - Jake*s Summer 2018 -

Edited by hecate., 13 September 2018 - 02:24 PM.

hey, i'm vicki │ available, but pm first.
IXjt8KQ.png

~just say goodnight and go~

#2 starbuck.

starbuck.

hotshot

• Administrator
  • 5,928 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:09 AM

hello and congrats on making a gallery! :)

just a few things before it can be approved - you credit Random-Acts-Stock@DA, but in their rules it says this:

2 - If you wish to use our work off DA, then please create your work first, post it on DA, post it onto your blog, FB page, or website, then send us a comment on the original stock with a link to both the DA and offiste piece. Failure to post your original piece on DA will result in us asking the site moderator to pull the image from the site you have posted it onto. This is non-negociable. Off DA, please credit Random Acts for the stock, and link to www.randomactscreative.com.

could you provide us with a link to where you posted your art with their stock on deviantart? if you didn't then i'd suggest either doing that :P or just not using their stock ;) also i can't seem to find the user 'margin' on flickr, could you provide a link so we can check that the photos are okay to be used? and i checked out pictures by the user 'photosbyflick' and the ones i clicked on were under an 'all rights reserved license', meaning they can't be used - if you've used some of their photos and they were under a creative commons license, please provide us with a link (since they have more than a 1000 photos we can't check them all out) :) you also credit bellazon but the images you can use from there are only fashion editorials and if you use those you should credit the photograher and the magazine where the editorial is from ^_^ if you're eber unsure about whether an image (or a specific site) are okay to use, you can ask about it here++. if you've got any questions feel free to pm me! ;)

Edited by starbuck., 04 July 2016 - 04:10 AM.

wonderful signature by hamylton.
plNvuA.png
kristina || The Art of Being Nonchalant (Or Not) (M) || art&fic || hic sunt leones || artist q&a || copyright rules || UFG1 UFG2 UFG3 UFG4

#3 snicket!

snicket!

i like superheroes and cheques with lots of zeroes on them

• Staff Moderator
  • 2,340 posts
  • Vault Points:787

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:52 AM

FIRST ALSO HI VICKI

man i'm so excited to see your gallery (and you as an ma!! ah blue!!), like, idk how to explain how happy it makes me. i love your gallery already though, i seriously don't get how you're so talented already D: i love that you're already building depth with textures and all of your graphics have this cool colour scheme going on, it's amazing

my favourite graphic is definitely +this, i love the way the text fits into the colouring and background, and it's so bright without being overwheling *_* my second fave is definitely +this - i love the hardcuts on her curly hair and also the way you composed it is just wonderful (also i'm really feeling that pop of pink)

basically i am 100005% happy that you're here and i can't wait to see what you make next as i will be stalking you 8)

J A D E !
kickstart my rock n' roll fantasy / previously page thirteen.
sigcolour.png
available via pm / crooked kind / q&a

#4 TreacleTart

TreacleTart

Queen of The Squee Thread

• Senior Artist
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:43 PM

Hey Vicki! 

Thought I'd drop by and leave your gallery a bit of love. I'm so happy to see that you've gotten so excited about graphics! It looks like you're off to a fantastic start. :)

My absolute favorite so far is this graphic here. I love how bright and colorful it is and I think the printed texture is really cool. Also, the way that Sansa's bright red hair pops off the blue background is stunning.

I also really love the way you put this one together as well. It isn't quite a bright as your other ones, but I think the composition on it is really quite lovely. The texture and stock choices together look really nice and I think the pictures you picked of Danaerys were really good choices for this image.

I think overall that your hardcutting looks really good. All of your images of people are very clean and I don't see a lot of leftover edging from the pictures. I also really enjoy the splashes of color that you use. It's really eye catching and draws my focus in. 

In terms of concrit, I'd say that I think this here isn't bad, but it sort of just fades away in the beauty of all the other things you've posted. Something about the different images behind the woman feels a bit disjointed to me. My eyes just aren't exactly sure where to look first with it. But again, that's really minor and me being ultra nitpicky.

Overall, I'm so impressed with how beautiful your gallery is. It looks like you've been doing this for ages (and sort of makes me embarrassed about the state of my gallery/quality of my graphics). Really fantastic work and I can't wait to see what else you create! I'll definitely be back periodically to check it out. 

:hug:

Kaitlin - My Gallery / Available

Posted Image

Gorgeous signature set by the incomparable Enigma

#5 archer.

archer.

nope

• Senior Artist
  • 1,820 posts
  • Vault Points:170

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:51 PM

Your hard cutting is amazing. You're definitely gonna get promoted because you have a nice style as it is. Keep up the good work and keep posting graphics and practice, practice, practice.

Angie is Available 

YbezebKi.gif

GGPbUuO.png

sig by my little(Vault713)so cuteee Gallery

#6 hecate.

hecate.
  • Graduate Artist
  • 439 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 02:59 PM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:52 PM

FIRST ALSO HI VICKI

man i'm so excited to see your gallery (and you as an ma!! ah blue!!), like, idk how to explain how happy it makes me. i love your gallery already though, i seriously don't get how you're so talented already D: i love that you're already building depth with textures and all of your graphics have this cool colour scheme going on, it's amazing

my favourite graphic is definitely +this, i love the way the text fits into the colouring and background, and it's so bright without being overwhelming *_* my second fave is definitely+this - i love the hardcuts on her curly hair and also the way you composed it is just wonderful (also i'm really feeling that pop of pink)

basically i am 100005% happy that you're here and i can't wait to see what you make next as i will be stalking you 8)

Jade!!!!! I love that you're first to comment! This makes me happy :D As my BBLB big buddy, I feel that you can take all of the credit :P Ahhh, thank you! As you know, textures are my fave and I'm partial to lot of colour :P

I love that you love my banner! It's the one thing I hadn't shown you beforehand so I'm super happy it's got you're approval! 

Ahhh, thank you! And stalking is very much welcome :D

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:43 PM

Hey Vicki! 

Thought I'd drop by and leave your gallery a bit of love. I'm so happy to see that you've gotten so excited about graphics! It looks like you're off to a fantastic start.  :)

My absolute favorite so far is this graphic here. I love how bright and colorful it is and I think the printed texture is really cool. Also, the way that Sansa's bright red hair pops off the blue background is stunning.

I also really love the way you put this one together as well. It isn't quite a bright as your other ones, but I think the composition on it is really quite lovely. The texture and stock choices together look really nice and I think the pictures you picked of Danaerys were really good choices for this image.

I think overall that your hardcutting looks really good. All of your images of people are very clean and I don't see a lot of leftover edging from the pictures. I also really enjoy the splashes of color that you use. It's really eye catching and draws my focus in. 

In terms of concrit, I'd say that I think this here isn't bad, but it sort of just fades away in the beauty of all the other things you've posted. Something about the different images behind the woman feels a bit disjointed to me. My eyes just aren't exactly sure where to look first with it. But again, that's really minor and me being ultra nitpicky.

Overall, I'm so impressed with how beautiful your gallery is. It looks like you've been doing this for ages (and sort of makes me embarrassed about the state of my gallery/quality of my graphics). Really fantastic work and I can't wait to see what else you create! I'll definitely be back periodically to check it out. 

:hug:

Kaitlin! Thank you so much for commenting on my gallery! I love that we're gallery buddies and started together! Thank you so much for all your lovely words! And never be embarrassed about your graphics! They're wonderful and you're coming along so great! I will be commenting on your gallery very soon and I can't wait to see what you've been making! :hug:

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:51 PM

Your hard cutting is amazing. You're definitely gonna get promoted because you have a nice style as it is. Keep up the good work and keep posting graphics and practice, practice, practice.

Ahhhhh, thank you Angie! What you've said means so much! I'm blushing that you think I could be promoted  :blush: I will definitely keep practising! Thank you!

IXjt8KQ.png

#7 Theia

Theia

lurkmeister

• Graduate Artist
  • 405 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:39 AM

omg not first but i'm here. :loves:

will edit soon.

Nim.

+Gallery | Photoshop CC | +Stories

Posted Image

sig & icon by just.a.willow.tree @tda/hpft

#8 Stille Nacht

Stille Nacht

Off Topic Mod

• 684 posts
  • Vault Points:197

Posted 06 August 2016 - 02:38 PM

Hi Vicki! 

Why I haven't stopped by here before... I don't know, but I am super happy to be here now! 

I really like smaller galleries. I like that the art can stand alone and speak for itself rather than have to be overloaded with so many different graphics, so I really enjoy this. 

Your banners are GORGEOUS! I love the softness of the first one, darkness of the second one and that Flamingo banner is awesome! It totally makes me smile when I see it. I like to have some sort of connection to a graphic when I see it because then I know that the artist has really drawn me in. That Flamingo one... Yep it does it! :) 

You have such a simplistic style which is refreshing! I see it a lot in your signatures and cannot help but be a tad bit jealous of how well composed I feel they are. 

The color in your chapter images are super, super great! I like that it pops. I also like that you are able to show a range of creation with different techniques in the way you build your graphics. 

I look so forward to seeing what else you create in the near future! 

Posted Image

|| Available - PM First || Gallery || Jenn || Photography ||

*Amazing Signature by: milominderbinder*

#9 concise

concise

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・

• 458 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:23 PM

hey vicki! 

so, full disclosure, i've never used GIMP- so i'll try to keep anything i have a little more general since i'm unfamiliar with how to do things in that program!

i'm not sure which pieces of yours are from BBLB but i'd say that your participation in it has you really on the right track as i think your gallery is, overall, looking good! i like that when i scroll through it, there's not a lot of saminess- nothing looks like a step-and-repeat of another piece you've made. trying new things and always experimenting is so crucial and the best way to learn your program and find your niche. 

you asked for some general crit and ways to improve, and i see two real opportunities for you here- the first being work creating bases, and the second being font choice. 

with your bone season and pansy banners i can see that you're good and blending stock and image placement, but with your more stock based pieces there's a lot of white space. on the shay miller banner it looks okay because you've really spread out your images and the texture in the background adds some visual interest. however, in your sigs, it's almost a little too minimal and stark. even a color fill layer background would take them a step up in a level of finesse. sometimes even a complimentary texture that's not too busy works really well. especially in a graphic like the phoebe tonkin sig, i think this could make a huge difference.

the other thing i noted was font choice. you're doing great at varying the font usage for your focal points- i see lots of colors and placements and layer styles, which is great. but your secondary text appears to be the same font in most pieces. going forward, i think you should try to play around more with this. try to change those fonts to suit the mood as well, or try to pick colors from your graphic that compliment it a little better than crisp white. i would also check the anti-aliasing setting to make sure that your fonts are set to smooth. i think that could make a huge difference in your work and help elevate how your finished products look!

i hope this was helpful- let me know if you need any more advice or help with anything i suggested!

Edited by concise, 16 August 2016 - 04:23 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

sig by my amazing big buddy, alison

kelsey | available for requests 

critique shop is open

#10 hecate.

hecate.
  • Graduate Artist
  • 439 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 03:42 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:38 PM

Hi Vicki! 

Why I haven't stopped by here before... I don't know, but I am super happy to be here now! 

I really like smaller galleries. I like that the art can stand alone and speak for itself rather than have to be overloaded with so many different graphics, so I really enjoy this. 

Your banners are GORGEOUS! I love the softness of the first one, darkness of the second one and that Flamingo banner is awesome! It totally makes me smile when I see it. I like to have some sort of connection to a graphic when I see it because then I know that the artist has really drawn me in. That Flamingo one... Yep it does it!  :)

You have such a simplistic style which is refreshing! I see it a lot in your signatures and cannot help but be a tad bit jealous of how well composed I feel they are. 

The color in your chapter images are super, super great! I like that it pops. I also like that you are able to show a range of creation with different techniques in the way you build your graphics. 

I look so forward to seeing what else you create in the near future! 

Hi Jenn!

Aww, thank you so much for all your nice comments! Especially about the banners, because I really, really don't like them at all! I'm glad you like the colour - I have a thing for colour, as you can probably tell so I like to use it when I can!

Thank you so much for stopping by Jenn! <3

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:23 PM

hey vicki! 

so, full disclosure, i've never used GIMP- so i'll try to keep anything i have a little more general since i'm unfamiliar with how to do things in that program!

i'm not sure which pieces of yours are from BBLB but i'd say that your participation in it has you really on the right track as i think your gallery is, overall, looking good! i like that when i scroll through it, there's not a lot of saminess- nothing looks like a step-and-repeat of another piece you've made. trying new things and always experimenting is so crucial and the best way to learn your program and find your niche. 

you asked for some general crit and ways to improve, and i see two real opportunities for you here- the first being work creating bases, and the second being font choice. 

with your bone season and pansy banners i can see that you're good and blending stock and image placement, but with your more stock based pieces there's a lot of white space. on the shay miller banner it looks okay because you've really spread out your images and the texture in the background adds some visual interest. however, in your sigs, it's almost a little too minimal and stark. even a color fill layer background would take them a step up in a level of finesse. sometimes even a complimentary texture that's not too busy works really well. especially in a graphic like the phoebe tonkin sig, i think this could make a huge difference.

the other thing i noted was font choice. you're doing great at varying the font usage for your focal points- i see lots of colors and placements and layer styles, which is great. but your secondary text appears to be the same font in most pieces. going forward, i think you should try to play around more with this. try to change those fonts to suit the mood as well, or try to pick colors from your graphic that compliment it a little better than crisp white. i would also check the anti-aliasing setting to make sure that your fonts are set to smooth. i think that could make a huge difference in your work and help elevate how your finished products look!

i hope this was helpful- let me know if you need any more advice or help with anything i suggested!

Hi Kelsey! 

Thank you so much for the crit! And I'm glad you don't think my gallery is same-y - I do try and make sure I'm trying different things/different styles so I'm glad it's working and showing!

I totally get what you're saying with the white space. They're some of my earlier sigs, when I was a little hesitant to overfill my graphics, just in case they looked way too cluttered, but I totally see where you're coming from with the Phoebe sig, which is a little too empty. I'll definitely try and not leave so much white space in future graphics!

Ahhhh, text is the bane of my life. I'm just starting to get the hang of it (i hope I am anyway) but I still struggle with it. Yes, my secondary text is always the same. I don't mean to do it but I can never seem to find the right text but taking your advice, I have downloaded a few sans serif texts and I've been experimenting with using them, and using different colours too. I haven't used the anti-aliasing setting yet but I'm gonna see if I can find it and have a play around with it! 

Thank you so much Kelsey, I found your crit super helpful and I hope I can use it to keep on improving!

IXjt8KQ.png

#11 nancy drew.

nancy drew.

it's locked.

• Graduate Artist
  • 943 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:39 PM

Hi, Vicki! I’m here with your requested crit! ♥ I’ll break this down sort of like you did in your request, if that’s okay. So I’ll go over what’s good, what you need to work on, and what you can do to improve, in that order! And if I have enough to say, I’ll break that up further in terms of stock, text, comp, and so on. ^_^

Let me first start by saying a (very belated) congratulations on making junior artist – you’ve already improved so much since I first saw your gallery, and you’re just continuing to get better, which is great! And I’ll also say, full disclosure, that I’ve worked with GIMP before the first time I was a TDA member artist, and I know that it’s hard, which is why I’m so grateful for Photoshop. So the fact that you’re able to make such pretty things with it is really impressive to me!

What’s Good: +This CI is my favorite thing in your whole gallery! I love, love, love how you did the base, especially the little vine twining around the arch. I think that the way you placed the models works super well, too, and I know that it’s not easy to get three models looks nice on one canvas, no matter how big or small. Your hard-cutting is super good, but you’ve had pretty good cutting skills since you made a gallery! So that should come as no surprise. ♥

I think you work with big text well, and you’ve got a really nice range of fonts, which is awesome! The text in +this CI works especially well, in my opinion. Really nice job with that! And I like the way the large text looks on +this banner too, though I would like to see maybe a splodge or two of black behind it to really make it pop, if that makes sense?

Overall, your stock use is pretty good, which is really nice to see! I think that you absolutely nailed it with the base on +this banner. I’m a sucker for florals and those columns, and you worked with them really well. :) It might be one of the strongest pieces, to be honest, and it’s my second favorite behind that CI I mentioned earlier. I think you should expand more into stock use, because you did this so well!

What Needs Work: One thing I notice in your gallery that needs work is your composition, especially in your banners. This isn’t too much of a problem, because your composition is actually really good, but at this stage it’s pretty static. Playing around with it and changing it up will give you good practice and skills. Your first three banners all feature a large face from the nose down, for example, and the first two have two models in the same position, with the text in the same position as well. In your signatures, there is one large model in the center-left of the canvas, and a smaller model overlapping on the center right, so try changing that up as well. One good way to do this is flipping the canvas horizontally, to get a new perspective on it – that was one tip that really helped me in working on composition!

Like I said above, I really like the variety of the big text in your graphics, but Rohini once told me something good about text: try and use a color from your base or your models to match the text to, and that way it all sort of flows together more nicely. I think your smaller text needs a little work. A lot of it looks a bit pixelated and sharp, and it interrupts the flow of the banner, like in +this one here. The text is a very bright white that doesn’t really go with the rest of the graphic. You’re much better about this on your CIs, however! I think it’s something you’re improving on – just pay attention to it. Try increasing the opacity to get it to blend in a little better, and maybe you could ask one of the more experienced GIMP artists around here about smoothing out your text? (I can’t remember exactly what to look for on that – in Photoshop, there’s a way to set your text to “smooth,” “sharp,” etc.) And like I said, your newer graphics are much better about this, so it could just mean something as simple as a gallery clean-out and replacing the old graphics with your better small text.

Be careful of making your coloring or images too “sharp,” too. +This signature is a good example of what I’m talking about – see those bright red dots toward the left and right edges? That usually means that you’ve sharpened the graphic so much that some pixels of color are peeking through unnaturally.

As far as stock use goes, you’re actually doing pretty well there, so there really isn’t too much I can say needs work beyond just recommending more practice. :) One thing I’ll say right now is to watch out for how you blend it in with your models, and make sure that it doesn’t make them look weird. In +this banner, the leaves on the right half of the banner sort of strangely overlap the large model’s chin and lips, like it’s peeking through, and it looks a bit messy. Most of your stock is placed well, though, and so I have some recommendations for hitting the next level, which I’ll outline in the next section!

How To Improve: Try playing around with your composition more – I’ll tell you that I personally think that Bex (beyond the rain) is a master at changing up the comp on her banners and sigs, so visit some galleries and see how some of the grad & staff artists do it! They got where they are for good reasons, and Bex even answered a good question about her comp in her Q&A thread +here. So maybe try looking at some of that and see where you can change yours up!

I suggested some ways to improve text in the “What Needs Work” section talking about it, so I’ll just say stick to that. I’ll also drop +this GIMP text tutorial here for you, just in case you haven’t seen it, because it was so freaking useful when I was working with that program. Hopefully you either have gotten some use out of it, or will in the future, but playing around with text always helps!

As for stock use – like I’ve continually said, you’re doing pretty well there! Keep practicing your blending and matching stock together, and even alter some saturation or colors to make them really go together, even if you got them from totally different sources. Flowing coloring is very nearly everything, you’ll find. ;) Try and keep everything looking nice and clean and put-together, and don’t forget that sometimes less is more!

Summary: Wow, this turned out really long. Sorry about that! But I hope that you found some of it useful. ^_^ Congrats again on making JA, and I hope to see you continue making pretty things! 

Edited by TenthWeasley, 14 September 2016 - 02:39 PM.

r  a  c  h  e  l

Posted Image

girl sleuth.  || beautiful set from beautiful bex!

#12 hecate.

hecate.
  • Graduate Artist
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:01 PM

Posted Today, 08:39 PM

Hi, Vicki! I’m here with your requested crit! ♥ I’ll break this down sort of like you did in your request, if that’s okay. So I’ll go over what’s good, what you need to work on, and what you can do to improve, in that order! And if I have enough to say, I’ll break that up further in terms of stock, text, comp, and so on.  ^_^

Let me first start by saying a (very belated) congratulations on making junior artist – you’ve already improved so much since I first saw your gallery, and you’re just continuing to get better, which is great! And I’ll also say, full disclosure, that I’ve worked with GIMP before the first time I was a TDA member artist, and I know that it’s hard, which is why I’m so grateful for Photoshop. So the fact that you’re able to make such pretty things with it is really impressive to me!

What’s Good: +This CI is my favorite thing in your whole gallery! I love, love, love how you did the base, especially the little vine twining around the arch. I think that the way you placed the models works super well, too, and I know that it’s not easy to get three models looks nice on one canvas, no matter how big or small. Your hard-cutting is super good, but you’ve had pretty good cutting skills since you made a gallery! So that should come as no surprise. ♥

I think you work with big text well, and you’ve got a really nice range of fonts, which is awesome! The text in +this CI works especially well, in my opinion. Really nice job with that! And I like the way the large text looks on +this banner too, though I would like to see maybe a splodge or two of black behind it to really make it pop, if that makes sense?

Overall, your stock use is pretty good, which is really nice to see! I think that you absolutely nailed it with the base on +this banner. I’m a sucker for florals and those columns, and you worked with them really well.  :) It might be one of the strongest pieces, to be honest, and it’s my second favorite behind that CI I mentioned earlier. I think you should expand more into stock use, because you did this so well!

What Needs Work: One thing I notice in your gallery that needs work is your composition, especially in your banners. This isn’t too much of a problem, because your composition is actually really good, but at this stage it’s pretty static. Playing around with it and changing it up will give you good practice and skills. Your first three banners all feature a large face from the nose down, for example, and the first two have two models in the same position, with the text in the same position as well. In your signatures, there is one large model in the center-left of the canvas, and a smaller model overlapping on the center right, so try changing that up as well. One good way to do this is flipping the canvas horizontally, to get a new perspective on it – that was one tip that really helped me in working on composition!

Like I said above, I really like the variety of the big text in your graphics, but Rohini once told me something good about text: try and use a color from your base or your models to match the text to, and that way it all sort of flows together more nicely. I think your smaller text needs a little work. A lot of it looks a bit pixelated and sharp, and it interrupts the flow of the banner, like in +this one here. The text is a very bright white that doesn’t really go with the rest of the graphic. You’re much better about this on your CIs, however! I think it’s something you’re improving on – just pay attention to it. Try increasing the opacity to get it to blend in a little better, and maybe you could ask one of the more experienced GIMP artists around here about smoothing out your text? (I can’t remember exactly what to look for on that – in Photoshop, there’s a way to set your text to “smooth,” “sharp,” etc.) And like I said, your newer graphics are much better about this, so it could just mean something as simple as a gallery clean-out and replacing the old graphics with your better small text.

Be careful of making your coloring or images too “sharp,” too. +This signature is a good example of what I’m talking about – see those bright red dots toward the left and right edges? That usually means that you’ve sharpened the graphic so much that some pixels of color are peeking through unnaturally.

As far as stock use goes, you’re actually doing pretty well there, so there really isn’t too much I can say needs work beyond just recommending more practice.  :) One thing I’ll say right now is to watch out for how you blend it in with your models, and make sure that it doesn’t make them look weird. In +this banner, the leaves on the right half of the banner sort of strangely overlap the large model’s chin and lips, like it’s peeking through, and it looks a bit messy. Most of your stock is placed well, though, and so I have some recommendations for hitting the next level, which I’ll outline in the next section!

How To Improve: Try playing around with your composition more – I’ll tell you that I personally think that Bex (beyond the rain) is a master at changing up the comp on her banners and sigs, so visit some galleries and see how some of the grad & staff artists do it! They got where they are for good reasons, and Bex even answered a good question about her comp in her Q&A thread +here. So maybe try looking at some of that and see where you can change yours up!

I suggested some ways to improve text in the “What Needs Work” section talking about it, so I’ll just say stick to that. I’ll also drop +this GIMP text tutorial here for you, just in case you haven’t seen it, because it was so freaking useful when I was working with that program. Hopefully you either have gotten some use out of it, or will in the future, but playing around with text always helps!

As for stock use – like I’ve continually said, you’re doing pretty well there! Keep practicing your blending and matching stock together, and even alter some saturation or colors to make them really go together, even if you got them from totally different sources. Flowing coloring is very nearly everything, you’ll find.  ;) Try and keep everything looking nice and clean and put-together, and don’t forget that sometimes less is more!

Summary: Wow, this turned out really long. Sorry about that! But I hope that you found some of it useful.  ^_^ Congrats again on making JA, and I hope to see you continue making pretty things! 

Hi Rachel ♥

Aww, thank you! That's means a lot coming from you, honestly! I've been watching you improve like crazy so I'm super, crazy happy that you think I'm getting better  :loves: Haha, I'm finally getting used to gimp, but it's taken forever  :silly: 

I swear, that's the one graphic I'm super proud of so thank you! It turned out so different to how it first started out, but I am so proud of it. I love hard-cutting, I have no idea why but it's one of my favourite things to do! So, thank you! ♥

I think I'm finally getting there with text, but it's taken me forever. I find it difficult not to use the same text sometimes so I've stalking dafont trying to find something different every time i make a graphic! Yes it does - I'll definitely have to try that in the future because honestly, the text on that banner really annoys me so I'll be using that trick!

Thank you! That's really the only graphic I've used stock on and it took me hours to complete but I'm glad you think it's a strong piece and coming from you, i'm blushing! You use stock amazingly well so I do pop over to your gallery for tips  :blush: 

I never actually noticed the same comp until I saw you'd commented and then I actually took a look at my gallery :blush: so I'll definitely work on that, now i'm conscious of it. Oooh, i'll try that, thank you!

Smaller text is the bane of my life! It's probably the thing I agonise over most because I don't always want to use the same font but I struggle trying to find different fonts but I'm happy you think I'm getting better! It's something I've been trying to work on for a while now! Ooh, i'll look into that because that'll help loads! If not, I'll see if Bex or Hannah know how to do it! Thanks for the tip! I've cleared that banner out, so thanks! I'm a nightmare for cleaning out but it's about time I did it!

I admit, I probably sharpen a little too much :blush: so I will definitely work on that. I actually didn't realise that the red dots were because I sharpened too much, but I'll look out for that in the future!

Thank you! Like I said before, I do struggle with stock so I use it very rarely – i'm more of a texture girl myself but I'm trying! I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out but it does look strange – I think I was trying to hard with textures to notice but I can see and will watch my blending!

Bex is the queen of comp so I'll be visiting her, don't worry! I'll have to start looking up other galleries – it's something I don't do atm but hopefully it'll give me some new ideas! Thank you – that's super helpful!

I haven't seen that text tutorial before so thank you! I'll check it out for sure! Aww, thank you! Considering you're amazing at stock, I'm taking it as a compliment that you think i'm doing pretty well! I hate colouring (during bblb, I had so many issues!) but i'm trying to practice, so I'll keep that in mind! Ahhhh, okay, less is more is something I can work with!

Arghh, thank you so much for the tips Rachel! And thank you for such a detailed crit, I really appreciate it ♥

IXjt8KQ.png

#13 saturn.

saturn.

♡♡♡

• Coder
  • 1,576 posts
  • Vault Points:2,228

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:03 PM

Hey Vicki! Katlynn here with your requested crit! Since you highlighted quite a bit that you would like some help with, I'm going to go ahead and structure my crit to follow those guidelines. :)

First Impressions

I think you have a beautiful gallery! I'm initially knocked back by your stock use! It's really, really great, especially in your banners and ci's! Your hard cuts are also especially awesome! You have a really good balance of different graphic types as well, so it's very clear to me that you're reaching out and trying to experiment with different canvas sizes and graphic types. It's super important to continue to push yourself outside of your comfort zone, so keep experimenting! :)

Banners

The biggest issue I see in your banners is your composition. It's really easy to get comfortable with different compositions, model placements and text placements, but it's important to try and branch out here and there. For example, +this banner and +this banner are, essentially, the same thing. The models may be different, and the canvas is different, but if you layer those on top of each other, the models and text would be in virtually the same position. And, in keeping with that theme, the same thing can be said for +this banner as well, if the canvas were flipped.

I feel like this general composition is very popular, especially when you're at the beginning of your graphics career or just starting to experiment. I know this was my go-to composition for such a long time and that's because it works, honestly! It's a super effective composition that creates a clear focal point, allows a lot of room for text and just works, so I totally know why you're going for it hahaha. But don't do it! Branch out! Don't be afraid to throw your models around a bit before deciding on a composition you're comfortable with. Flip your models around, resize some elements, add some more stock elements, play with text, etc. There are a lot of options in the world of graphics, so now that you have a lot of the basics down, feel free to keep branching out and trying new things! +Here is a really great tutorial for composing with multiple people that I think would definitely help you out in this area. :) +Here's another great tutorial by Bex for working with stock and keeping your base consistent that I also think would help you out.

Another thing to consider when working with banners is where your text will go, which really does fall under the composition issues we were just talking about. If you look at your first four banners, for example, the text (and models) are almost directly under one another when you look at them in the way you currently have them listed in your gallery. Try moving your text around a bit in relation to your models when you have the chance! Don't be afraid to try different placements or text layering here and there! I think you'll find that as you're moving your models and stock around, the text placement will naturally present itself when you're finished layering. The best advice I got when starting out was to think of text as another model that you need to make work in your composition as opposed to something that needs to fit into your base as it stands.

In general, I think your base composition is really great though! You're good at creating depth with the stock you're using. I really love the base you've created in +this banner. I think it's simple enough to not detract from the models, but complex enough that it looks deep and fills the graphic out well. The last thing I want to point out with your banners is base consistency. You want to keep a consistent balance on tone across your bases before you start layering your models down. For example, on +this banner, the only pop of pink you have is on the right side of the banner where the flowers are. There's no instance of that color or stock on the other side of the banner, so it looks a little unbalanced. I think that pop of pink really helps the banner pop, so I'd suggest adding a similar element to the other side of the banner. The tutorial I linked to by Bex explains this really well. :) Another tutorial that you may want to check out is +this tutorial by Julia, as well as +this tutorial on complementary colors by Vanya. :)

Signatures

I think your signatures are really great! I,, personally, find this to be the strongest part of your gallery. I really adore the negative space and texture use in +this signature. I love those white lines over the model, even though, generally, texture use/stock over a model's face is a no no :), I think it works here! I think you have a lot of variety in your signatures, so I encourage you to continue experimenting here as well. You've got some great things going on in here, so I'm excited to see what else you come up with. :) To be honest, I don't have much else to comment on here because I really do think your signatures are the stand-out hit in your gallery, but I'll just leave you with a good job here. :)

Image Quality

I do see a little issue with image quality throughout your gallery. I think this may come from using lower quality images, so definitely remember to always reach for the high quality images first. This also means using high quality stock, textures and other graphic elements. Using high quality models only goes so far when you're layering elements on top of each other. For example, the PNG behind the main model on the right side of +this banner looks like it was resized too much and looks a bit pixelated on my end. This could also be due to how dark the right side of that banner is compared to the left side. I've found that, when working with darker colorings, textures and stocks, high quality images and textures only go so far if they're going to get buried beneath a bunch of darker layers, and I think that may be what happened in this case.

Image quality is a super tricky thing to grasp, but if you're paying attention to the pixelation in your images and prepping your images accordingly, you should have a handle on this soon. +Here's a really, really excellent image quality tutorial from Violet that I *think* should work across all programs.

For the most part, I'm seeing a lot of image quality issues in the models you're using, so just watch out for how large you're resizing your images if they're on the smaller side and watch out how you're sharpening your images too. In +this case, for example, I think the model on the right is generally pretty hq, but the sharpening you've got going on here is bring some pixelation around the edges of the hard cut, as well as in the details of the model herself (her hair, eyes and fingers especially), so be wary of over-sharpening your images as well. I think the same thing happened +here and +here as well. This is a super easy fix and jut comes down to watching how high your sharpening layers are. You can also mask out your some of the harsher details from your sharpening layers. Often times, if the entire graphic needs to be sharpened, but I fee like the details are becoming too pixelated, I'll grab a layer mask on my sharpening layer and mask out or erase away some of the more pixelated spots. This preserves the quality of the model, but gives the rest of the graphic a nice boost in sharpening. :) 

The converse can be true, however, when your graphics aren't sharp enough. (I know, super confusing and annoying, but hey, that's image quality for you!) With +this graphic, for example, the model is super soft, but the text and the textures are all super sharp, so that model needs to be sharpened up without sharpening up any of the other elements. So you can use the same techniques of either masking away another sharpening layer or erasing the bits you don't need. 

Stock Use

I think I've touched on this a bit while going through everything, so I won't ramble on too much here. I just want to say that I think your stock use is already pretty fantastic, so I wouldn't worry too much here. Keep experimenting and working with different stocks. I do see some of the same stock repeated in your graphics so just be mindful there and try and pull in different images here and there. Also make sure you're being mindful of your blending techniques. In a few cases (+here, +here), you're letting the stock meander its way onto the models' faces, and we don't want that happening, so just be careful to blend a little neater around face and details like that. (Try and keep text and textures off of faces too for the most part!) Otherwise, keep on stockin' on. :)

Overall

Since this is long enough already, I'll just leave you with a few things. I think you have a really strong gallery right now, and I totally envision you only getting stronger and stronger as you continue to experiment and test some things out. I hope this was, at least, mildly helpful and wasn't too harsh or anything like that. If you have any question at all about this or anything else, feel free to let me know. <3

K   A   T   L   Y   N   N

Posted Image

formerly  ARRIETTY. // visit my  GALLERY

#14 miss atomic bomb

miss atomic bomb

click boom

• Administrator
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:44 PM

RjqBB8s.png

Congrats Vicki! Very well deserved, I absolutely

adore your comp- especially on your chapter

images- and the coloring on +this banner is

stunning! Can't wait to see more from you ^_^

Enjoy the new blue!

<3 Cat

xxm91d.png

catgalleryq&a | semi-available | read the rules

#15 choobacca

choobacca

:wookie noises:

• Duelling Arena Moderator
  • 3,179 posts
  • Vault Points:1,664

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:32 AM

congratulations Vicki!! your gallery is stunning! this is so well deserved. your graphics have so much versatility to them. keep making more pretties for us to look at and enjoy your blue <3

w26i8nm.png

Posted Image

a l i s o n is unavailable . gallery  . formerly and peggy

#16 Asphodelic

Asphodelic

Avi_Stole_My_Heart

• Senior Artist
  • 4,674 posts
  • Vault Points:185

Posted 18 October 2016 - 05:52 PM

Hey Vicki! Congratulations on making Senior! :D

Enjoy your new blue! :dance: :dumbles: :hyper:

zo5yphH.png

|| Alishya || +Gallery+Designer Gallery || TDA's Resident of Eppes Brothers Fanatic || Available (Please PM beforehand) ||

vWC6Tc.gif

#17 hecate.

hecate.
  • Graduate Artist
  • 439 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:10 PM

^ Cat, Alison, Alishya! 

Thank you for the gifts! They're my first ever, so i'm treasuring them forever! You guys are too sweet <3 (and cat, that hedgehog is the most adorable thing ever <3)

IXjt8KQ.png

#18 mockingjay

mockingjay

Do You Hear The People Sing?

• Graduate Artist
  • 1,131 posts
  • Vault Points:504

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:00 PM

promo_zpsnundgmss.png

Congratulations Vicki!! (sorry this is late)

You have been improving so much lately and I am not

surprised by this promo (: Your gallery is gorgeous and 

I especially love the Bella Hadid banner! The comp and

coloring are beautiful. Keep up the good work <3

~Grace

Grace||Semi-Available||PM first ||Stunning set by alison (and peggy) <33

Posted Image

+Forever Fallen || +Artist Q&A || Follow TDA on +twitter and +tumblr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users