by Lauralei

Photo

Pictures in the Clouds & Fields of Paper Flowers04.04.2016

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 ferlybadinage

ferlybadinage

Hello, I love you won't you tell me your name?

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,085 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:50 PM

saAABeX.png

Banners

De797rD.png

56hwrM8.jpg

nfNLuRZ.png

C9hR6Fm.png

crcMFnH.png

Icons

2JZqeqv.png

RCrcVO7.jpg

Chapter Images

gERPXJj.png

7UwtWta.png

P2oYCDE.png

1iaOZuJ.png

Signatures

jRBZ0F2.png

OwmqZ7O.png

hJyWkd0.png

BwEjyQH.png

iHQbRr0.png

Blends and Manipulations

v0ovBdS.png

q9wNbfp.png

UNc1JXX.png

Drawings

+Click the thumbnails to enlarge+
KveTGGA.png D6H9UaD.png JKLPhLv.png  g9AXZ0k.png

Awards

8i2g65T.png

Stunning award by golden., and I am officially having a breakdown. <3

blNVS8V.png
Jan 2016 - Lovely award by Winter Soldier. I am exploding with happiness right now!

oizDwX2.png
DMA 2015 - Best Member Artist. Incredible award by Starbuck.

esKgiTz.png
Amazing award by minion. & I'm still hyperventilating <3

Challenges

Recast challenge Nov '15 - Second Place {entry}

The Remake Me Challenge Jan '16 - Third Place {entry}
The Troian Bellisario Retouch Challenge Jan '16 - Second Place {entry}

Credits

TDA: atë! | ameixas. | starbuck. | a.leksy |
beyondtherain | a.perfect.lie | kate. | victus. |
ladymiresa | abhorsen. | .asperity | asami sato | 
PhotoshopFreak | darth vader

DeviantArt: unrestricted-stock.deviantart.com | 
stock-unrestricted.deviantart.com | dazzle-textures.deviantart.com | 
pendlestock.deviantart.com | revsxgirl.deviantart.com | 
nadinepau-stock.deviantart.com | autumnsgoddess-stox.deviantart.com | 
kw-stock.deviantart.com | keitaru-san.deviantart.com | 
redheadstock.deviantart.com

flickr: 55Laney69 | Andreas Øverland | azrhey | 
Barbro_Uppsala | chiaralily | Didier Baertschiger | 
ekpatterson | fartmanteau | Federica Capace | fusion-of-horizons | 
Garry Knight | Guzmán Lozano | Kew on Flickr | Kotomi_ | 
lentina_x | Lotus Carroll | Mataparda | Pedro Presilha | Brad.K | 
damian entwistle | Ian Burt | judy_and_ed | Nic McPhee | 
subflux | Tatters ÔØÇ | Vetatur Fumare 

behance: David Massara | Hendrick Rolandez | Nathan Watkins | 
Sean Coady | Tom Anders Watkins | Nelson Balaban | Soulcraft | 
KRISIJANIS | Gatis Vilaks | Artimasa Studio | Joël Carrouché | 
Adrien Coquet

Galleries: hqdiesel.net | emmawatsondaily.org | jenna-coleman.com | 
kekepalmer.us | sarahgadon.com | samclaflin.org | hq-pictures.com

Photographers: Zoey Grossman | Rene & Radka | Nikolay Biryukov |
Camilla Akrans | Jamie Nelson | Yelena Yemchuk | Steve McCurry | 
Nicole Bentley | Theo Wenner | Firat Meric | Junseob Yoon | 
Randy Tran | Lachlan Bailey | Annemarieke Van Drimmelan | 
Benjamin Kanarek | Jack Waterlot | Beau Grealy | Kailas | 
Cully Wright | Rocio Ramos | Emma Tempest | Jorge Cal | 
Owen Bruce | Marcin Tyzska | Max Abadian | Norman Jean Roy | 
Tom Craig | Alexander Jacob | Greg Lotus | Agata Pospieszynska |
Kate Powers 

Screencaps: movie-screencaps.com | kissthemgoodbye.net | 
screencapped.net | home of the nutty | disneyscreencaps.com

Other: obsidiandawn.com | Streetwill | Tookapic | dafont |
1001 fonts | 26plus-zeichen.de | losttype.com | 
fontfabric.com | freedesignresources.com | 
Snapwire Snaps | stocksnap.io | fashioneditorials.com

Edited by ferlybadinage, 05 September 2016 - 10:02 AM.

emma gallery ♥ unavailable

Posted Image

b e x c e l l e n t set by beyond the rain

#2 choobacca

choobacca

:wookie noises:

• Staff Moderator
  • 3,191 posts
  • Vault Points:1,664

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:04 PM

First!!

Awesome start to your gallery! I can't believe you just created it  :drop:  Your composition is really great. How long have you been making graphics for? I especially love your Sally banners  :wub:  Did you edit Lily Cole to make her look like that?? So well done! The composition here+ is also magnificent. And your icons are gorg. Keep making new stuff! I can't wait to see what more you make.

xx Alison

Posted Image

a l i s o n is unavailable . gallery  . formerly and peggy

#3 ferlybadinage

ferlybadinage

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:33 PM

Hi Alison!

Thank you for your lovely comments! I actually have had galleries here before, but I've always only sort of dabbled and never properly gotten into it. Last time I posted a gallery, I couldn't keep it updated due to illness, but I'm back, and I *think* I'm getting better :)
Yeah I edited Lily Cole, it was for one of the current challenges, where you have to recast people from films, and I thought that she would be an interesting choice for Sally ^_^

Once again, thank you so much! It really inspires confidence :)

Vashti xx

Posted Image

#4 ethereal*

ethereal*
  • 453 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:16 AM

Hey Vashti (what a beautiful name!),

you have a really great start to your gallery! 

My favorite is the 'Eyes Open' blend. the comp is phenomenal, the coloring is awesome, and overall it's super pretty <3

I liked your sigs as well, especially the "I wander lonely as a cloud" and "the coldest hour" ones!

keep it up!

-Maya  

Posted Image

-Maya-

gallery

​previously VampireWeekend 

#5 ferlybadinage

ferlybadinage

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:22 AM

Thank you Maya (also a beautiful name!) :)
That's really lovely of you!
Sigs are definitely my favourite things to make, closely followed by blends and banners ^_^
Thanks for your comment! X

Posted Image

#6 Fireheart

Fireheart
  • 380 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 08:56 PM

Hi Vashti!!  :hug:  I'm here for your YBW Critique! So I'll go through each section and explain which piece I think is your best work and why. :) Let's get this funness started!

Icons:

Ohhh lots of pretties here! This is my favorite set because I really like the uniqueness of the cuts. The coloring is also good, as well as the filtering, so it ends up being very clear and clean - giving a strong image quality to it. I'd love to see more for this set! 

Signatures:

This is my favorite! Having no people can be hard to pull off, but I really like your composition and the simplicity of the text.  :wub:

Banners:

Ahh you know I love those Sally banners! Though I would bring big Sally up a little in the one where her chin is cut off - just so her chin ISN'T cut off. ;) But the longer I stare, the more I wonder how the top banner would look with Sally being colored like she is in the bottom banner? I really like how her hair and lips are more popping in color in the bottom banner. Her hair in the top looks more blurry too than the bottom? Okay my final thought: Bring big Sally up by making her a little smaller (and probably make smaller Sally smaller to keep the same proportion), then color Sally's like the bottom banner, but leave the background and text of top banner the same. :P Having said all this, I think this is very strong too composition wise. But the coloring and text isn't as strong. Also, I'd erase whatever is on the clock on the right? As it is, it doesn't look properly blended, but nothing a hard brush won't fix. :P Just erase whatever is over the clock face.

Chapter Images:

This is hilarious! My favorite in the section. The glow of the moon is an especially nice touch.

Blends:

This was TOUGH. Despite Taylor's obviously having lots of blending (and beautiful coloring!), I do see some areas where the blending could be tighter. So I think technically speaking, this is ybw. Very nice job with the hard cuts.

All in all, you have some great stuff here! Keep experimenting and trying new unique things. I look forward to seeing more from you!  :hug:

Edited by Fireheart, 15 November 2015 - 09:00 PM.

Gallery l Unavailable due to computer issues. Hopefully fixed soon!

Posted Image

Stunning set by arrietty.

#7 daredevil

daredevil

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

• Veteran Artist
  • 3,454 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 16 November 2015 - 04:38 AM

hiya vashti! I'm vee :D here from the spread the gallery love thread <3

I have to say, I was most definitely not as good as this when I was a member artist!  :hide: 

I love how you've managed to capture simplicity so well in every graphic, and I think your text use is very clever too!

You've got heaps of potential, so keep up the amazing work, and I can't wait to see more of your stuff around the forums <33

Remember the crit corner ( no promo here at all...none...) and the tutorial center are awesome places to get your muse going, or if you're a bit stuck and need some help :D

love,

vee

(ノ◕‿◕)ノ*:・゚✧

vee & gallery & beautiful set by doctor ziegler

5tlzvyL.png

★ texture pack texture pack v.2 digital painting tutorial & prev: legolas.

#8 ferlybadinage

ferlybadinage

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:48 AM

@fireheart thank you so much for your help! Definitely going to look at what you suggested, I'll be making more Emma icons this week for that set, and I'll adjust the Sally banner as you suggested (you're not alone in preference of the colour! I actually coloured the pictures beforehand and then used them in the banners, and a gradient map got the better of me :() and her hair was a nightmare, for some reason it seemed like a good idea to use a picture where not much of Lily's hair was showing, so I ended up cheekily adding some more and it went wrong! Haha! Now you've mentioned the bit on the clock on the Jenna banner, I can't unsee it, so I'll definitely be fixing that when I have a minute! Glad you like the "the cow jumped over the moon" ci, I've had the idea in my head for a while. I couldn't find any jumping cows on the Internet though (sad face) so I ended up drawing it. It's not exactly as I wanted, so still might get edited. I intend to do a set of 4, with the rest of the nursery rhyme on them. You literally just made my day complimenting my hard cuts :wub: I was so proud of that blend! That's my newest blend, whereas the Taylor one is quite old (I hope that you can see my blending has improved a little) I definitely intend to make more blends soon! :) Thank you so much for your crit! I'll definitely be taking all those things into account :D

@legolas. Hi Vee :) What a kind comment! Thank you so much (although I'm sure you were always amazing! Your work is incredible!) I feel like I've been here for ages (2006?! What even?!) and never really spent enough time getting to know PS until now, so this is me making an effort and hoping to rise through the ranks haha! You're so kind! I've already hit (most) of the tuts, and I've been requesting crit, so hopefully I'll start improving instead of staying just in one place ^_^ Thanks again :D

Vashti x

Posted Image

#9 dumbelldor

dumbelldor
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:50 PM

Oh my gosh?? Everything here is so beautiful??

You're signatures are gorgeous I love the "I wander lonely as a cloud" one it's so beautiful. I just want to stare at it.

I also love your Eyes Open blend just wow the colors are gorgeous

also the Nightmare Before Christmas banner is beautiful and I love how you did the Sally text it's awesome. 

basically everything in here is perfect and i'm in love

emily | hpff | gallery

Posted Image

#10 ferlybadinage

ferlybadinage

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:26 AM

Aww Emily! Thank you so much, you're so kind! It means a lot as well, considering how amazing you are :D
Thank you thank you thank you! ❤

Posted Image

#11 atė!

atė!

goddess of mischief

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 03:06 PM

Hey Vashti (what a cool name btw!)
This is me, Sally, with her critique and cookies in tow! ;)
You said your weak points are composition and text, so I'll see if I can help you

on that!

1. Cookies
My my my, what do we have +here and +here? Beautiful icons and a perfectly

lovely use of negative space! Those icons are just adorable. the cuts are great,

the use of texture is awesome and don't get me started on the coloring because

for my taste it's perfect - don't sort them out of your gallery - I even think they're

your best work. Great job on that!
I also love the signature because it's just so simple but you embraced this

simplicity really well. I could nitpick that the font is a bit too small and would also

look good in all capital letters, but I won't because that's already a great piece

of work!

2. Spices
Since it is very important to master the basics to get promoted and improve your

skills, I will focus on three major points here: blending, composition and coloring.

And at the end I'll address the matter of text and filtering.
Blending: Blending is very very very important - there isn't too many verys to

stress that hehe ;) In your first banner I think you're already doing it quite well. I know

(from experience) that blending, especially hard cuts can be tricky. Blending hair

can be a nightmare, trust me I know, so I would like to give you a tip (which works

especially well for people with a bright background): sometimes it works if you

duplicate the layer of person and set the lower image to 'multiply' and then erase

the parts you need from the upper image (I think there should also be a tutorial about

that in TDA's tutorial section - those are really helpful and you can always learn new

stuff while checking them out!). The blending on your last blend sadly doesn't work

for me at all. It seems low quality, there's images placed over images, texture over

the girls face and the white balance is set way too high - the graphic glares into your

eyes and that's a little too much. Another important tip for you: never place a

texture over peoples' faces - it usually does not work and only lowers the quality of

your graphic.
With lowering the opacity on the layers and placing them over other pictures be

careful - sometimes rather hard blending works better: take your 'take some time'

banner as an example. You've got this beautiful clock there on the right, but it seems

low quality as you can see there is some texture above it. If you get rid of it or smudge

the lines of the texture (if you want to keep the color of it) it will make it look much

cleaner!
Composition: I think what you should keep in mind here is that graphics need to have

some kind of depth to them - there needs to be a foreground and a background and

you can achieve it easily with changing the size of your characters: e.g. have one

person that is bigger and one or more that are (significantly) smaller. +Here for example

all three people have the same size and your graphic seems more two dimensional

than three. In your first and second banner I can see though, that you are on the right

track! Keep doing that!
Coloring: As I mentioned above the thing with white balance is important in the graphic

business. Your first banner for example would profit from a higher white balance

(it seems a tad too monotone at the moment) while the white balance in your last

two banners is too high. Try to keep the colors natural for the beginning, you can

always try and experiment later ;)
Text: For the beginning there is only two things really important - keep the quotes

small enough and keep the viewers attention on the title. That doesn't mean you

have to make the title huge, but try to fit a nice spot, maybe somewhere in the

center and pick a color that fits the graphic (if you want, you can take the pipette

and choose a color from the graphic to make sure it fits :)). The second thing is

to make sure the font fits the mood of the graphic and try to stay clear off comic

sans or any fonts like that - they often seem unprofessional.
Filtering: I'm not sure if you already made yourself acquainted with filters but

there's one general rule about filtering - be careful and don't overdo it. Your two

last banners show a lot of filtering and you would improve the image quality and

the whole graphic if you'd turn the filter down. And for now try to stay clear off

posterizations (I'm not sure they're called that way, what I mean is the effect on

the last banner) and try to keep the skin and surfaces as real as possible ;)

3. Cinnamon
With upcoming promos I'd recommend you to clean out a few pieces: +this, +this,

+this, +this and +this and also clean out a few of your icons (maybe the third and

last set).
I also wanted to say that I think your first CI is really creative! I'd like to see more

like that! As I said above I really like the three icons, your signature and also your

first and second (and third) banner and the best way to improve is just practice!

Do as many graphics as possible and don't hesitate to ask for help. You can

always pm me if you like.

I hope I didn't overload you with information and tips :hides: but could help you to

see where you can improve and I wish you all the luck for promos!
Love, Sally :loves:

Posted Image

» || Sally is semi-available. PM first. previously fayeswonderland.|| «
»
c a t c h & r e l e a s e «

#12 ferlybadinage

ferlybadinage

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:21 PM

@Sally, I think you need to know that you're now up there with my favourite people ^_^ Most of the things you've advised me to remove are old (as in, 2+ years old) - and the Clara sig was an experiment gone wrong - and I was basically using them to fill up my gallery :D In my mind, I take this that I've improved somewhat?! ASDFG you like my wolf signature ^_^ I would love to do more that style but was so worried that it was too...boring?! Definitely going to try and work on my white balance issues, and I've actually edited the Clara banner and I was about to upload the replacement (although I decided I might just make some new, better banners instead...) 

sometimes it works if you

duplicate the layer of person and set the lower image to 'multiply' and then erase

the parts you need from the upper image

^ I actually do this a lot in my photography (I dabble a bit in that as well as this stuff), and was wondering the other day why I use it less in graphics?! 

The blending on your last blend sadly doesn't work

for me at all. It seems low quality, there's images placed over images, texture over

the girls face and the white balance is set way too high - the graphic glares into your

eyes and that's a little too much.

^ I made that when I was 16 :') Sadly, I'm a graphic hoarder! It's going now, don't worry!

I am familiar with filtering, my last two banners were made... gosh, probably not long after the really white blend! They've been floating around for a long time. Like I said, I'm a hoarder. They're going now though, don't worry!!!

I also wanted to say that I think your first CI is really creative! I'd like to see more

like that!

EDIT: I forgot which one was my first CI hahah I'm such a douche! Two people have complimented the cow one so I thought it was that one, I'm so happy someone likes that CI!!! :D It was for the I challenge thee thread, one image for the background and person, and only textures, filters, text, etc additional :)

Sally, you're awesome, and regarding literally EVERYTHING you've said, I'm going to go and make things right :D

You're now on my list of people I love a lot. I've promised Bex an Ode to Bex, I might make you a Ballad for Sally... :hides:

Seriously, thank you. I could kiss you!

Edited by ferlybadinage, 21 November 2015 - 04:32 PM.

Posted Image

#13 antematter.

antematter.
  • Junior Artist
  • 99 posts
  • Vault Points:20

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:31 PM

hi vashti! (i love your name omg)

i absolutely love your composition, and +this blend is absolutely amazing (please share your secrets with me) - i love the comp, coloring, text, everything! 

the sally banners are also really good, i really like your coloring <3 

+this signature is perfection as well!! 

​keep up the good work <3 

-rikki

PgiIKol.png

beauty by wildest dreams / zinnia ford & ryan miyazaki on pw / previously scintillated

#14 ferlybadinage

ferlybadinage

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:43 PM

Thank you so much Rikki! (I love yours too :D)

Oh wow thanks :) That blend was a lot of lazy blending (no hard-cuts to be seen) and some solid colour layers with the layer modes and opacity adjusted (think I used solid yellow, solid blue, and solid pink). Eep yay, thank you :) You're so kind!!

I shall pop by your gallery to say hello!
Vashti x

Posted Image

#15 ethereal*

ethereal*
  • 453 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:02 AM

VASHTI

you made "Chicago" icons!! and they are super gorgeous!  :drop:

you are literally my favorite person right now <3 

(have I ever mentioned how much I love this movie, or any movie that involves people that randomly start singing?)

-Maya x

Posted Image

-Maya-

gallery

​previously VampireWeekend 

#16 ferlybadinage

ferlybadinage

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:48 AM

Absjfhdirjkd Oh my gosh Maya you're too sweet ❤

Chicago is probably my favourite film (to the point where my mother knows all the lyrics and all the songs despite not yet seeing the film, because I sing them to her ALLL the time!)

I'm so happy that you like them.

Let's be friends and sing musical songs together and sing and dance and run away into the sunset together omg I mean let's do normal things that normal people do and just be normal people doing normal things. Normal.

Vashti x

Posted Image

#17 kitcath

kitcath
  • 313 posts
  • Vault Points:152

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:33 PM

Hiiiiiii - sorry, I'm late. I had this great comment all typed up, then I forgot plug in the battery cable, my computer died and the review was gone when I reopened the tab   :blegh:  

I've meant to post in your gallery for such a long time... I never got around to doing that. I love it! I see you've made some changes since the last time I went here, and now it's prettier than ever. 

I'm in awe of your sigs, which is a format that never works for me, especially the minimalist/negative spaced ones like +this one, +this one, and your current sig. And your icons! :loves:  They're really great, and Iove the colours of the first set, all dark and red. My favourite of all must be the ROXIE one, I love the contrast, the comp... 

Also, your hardcutting is really great! Like, in the Once Upon a Time sig, did you use the background of the photoshoot, or...? Because the outline is so clear and precise... especially around the hair!  :edward: Wow, great job.   

The only thing I'd say is that in the first Christmas banner and the Scotland banner, you used the same font (Sweetly Broken, right?) twice, with the same capital letter S and as they are placed just one under the other, I think it's a bit redundant. I'd just put them in a different order, so that it isn't as obvious ^^ (but then again I have an obsession with finding new fonts everytime... Maybe normal people don't care?). 

Well, keep up doing such good work! 

Catherine

Catherine | Gallery | semi-available, pm first please

Posted Image

Rohini (apsara) made me this beautiful set! :loves:

#18 ferlybadinage

ferlybadinage

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:54 PM

Catherine! Hey! Thank you for your comment xD

First of all! You are like the sweetiest sweetie ever, thank you! You made me feel mushy inside!

You're being ridiculous about your sigs haha! Your Beautiful Lie signature is incredibly minimalist and gorgeous :wub: you're clearly better than you think ^_^ thank you though! I think I enjoy making sigs most.

Eep yay! I felt really successful after making those icons! I was aiming for "showbiz" bright colours for some, and sort of hazy vintagey colouring for others? Haha!

Literally every graphic which looks hard cut in my gallery was done using a hard cut.... Except that one haha! I was experimenting with using layer modes instead of blending, I was so proud of it though! :P that background wasn't the shoot background, I think I just got lucky. But if you look really closely at the Jenna on the right, you can see faint outlines of the church on her skin!!!

Oh my gosh Oh my gosh Oh my gosh! I scrawled up and noticed you're right! Oh no! *runs off to change the order* thanks for bringing it to my notice! I hate that too! I need to stop obsessing over one font (it's my absolute FAVOURITE font ever!)

Thank you so much for your lovely comment dear ^_^ feel free to message me any time! Would be lovely to chat! X

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users