WINNER

best style

best at signatures

lI0VEndE.png

by cat!

EYE8n9hf.png

by beyond the rain

hzcJtjFa.pngRaAD8yhm.png

page thirteen.                                                                                heartfelt

graduate ybw july 2016 // arrietty 

UngXaYN.png

by starbuck.

dma finalist 2015: best graduate artist

dma finalist 2015: best signatures

DnQfIYX.png

by winter soldier 

8RnOu8kS.png tUs5PlFR.png

beyond the rain

t9gLBCw.pngFWDSMTi.png

carpe.noctum                                                                                  page thirteen.

member challenges // junior promo // squee fest // senior promo // junior/senior otm

by fiction.saviour || contour || starbuck. || schultz || contour

pGDfKX.png

still working on updating this list, if anything is missing please let me know <3

click

x // x // x // x // x

Edited by wildest dreams., 24 March 2018 - 06:31 AM.

#2 that guy.

that guy.

Val says I'm "Captain Mike"

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,305 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:43 PM

AHH AHH AHH HANNAH AHH AHH

omg you made a gallery and i'm so happy omg I missed you <33

Your graphics are so pretty and I missed them and ahh omg it's like a blast from the past.

The one crit thing I can recommend is that you tilt your text a bit too much sometimes. Like here 'come home' looks awkward, a little. The blending here is a bit off, but honestly, most of this is amazing and i'm so happy to see you back <3

Edited by that guy., 17 March 2015 - 04:48 PM.

Name's Mike! Available. Previously Mihali. 

Posted Image

FFAB Gallery [You bring things I cannot see] Paperdoll is so so so good

#3 snicket!

snicket!

i like superheroes and cheques with lots of zeroes on them

• Staff Moderator
  • 2,354 posts
  • Vault Points:787

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:44 PM

omg i'm trying to find an appropriate bacon meme for you and google's going slooow. let's go with this bc i've never been so freaked out by a caption before

i-smell-bacon.jpg

:creepy:

BUT NO SERIOUSLY hello yes i like +this and +this because hello colouring. i'm sorry to say that i'm actually going to be marrying your gallery, that's a thing now (lol seeing this gallery in creation means i'm like "well hannah knows what i think, i commented on everything"). 

either way it's time for you to start working on not thinking so much about your graphics bc then cool things like +this happen go go go 

edit: MIKE HOW COULD YOU. oh and welcome back i guess.

Edited by clarity., 30 March 2015 - 12:50 PM.

J A D E !
kickstart my rock n' roll fantasy / previously page thirteen.
sigcolour.png
available via pm / crooked kind / q&a

#4 eons.

eons.

SECRET TUNNEL

• 656 posts
  • Software:Elements

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:45 PM

Yap

meena, pm first

Posted Image

Gallery.

#5 sail boat

sail boat

florence is bae

• 1,859 posts
  • Software:Elements

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:10 PM

stealing 4th :D

your work is so lovely :loves:

those blends are just beautiful

I adore your text and how pretty your graphics are

your coloring is so fresh and gorgeous

I just think your stuff is amazinggggg <3

Edited by sail boat, 26 April 2015 - 02:20 PM.

MEGGIE

Posted Image

e. rinaldi + r. everard-xin on pw // thank you to my bae vee for this amazing set

#6 Feneis.

Feneis.
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:04 AM

...Whoops.

You've just got a new stalker.

<333

Madly in love with your banners :D But everything here is gorgeous, really. Your blending style is sooo sweet!

(Also. James McAvoy *.* haha! x3)

-Lizzy

rmu16h.jpg

steve harrington made this incredible set which i can't stop looking at<3 (ty soo much, omg! :3)

#7 amoretti

amoretti

as long as you love me;

• Master Artist
  • 7,228 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 03:10 PM

hi hannah! jordan here from pay it to the gallery. it works out well that you posted

there before me because i've been meaning to post here for a while  :happy:

i really admire the shiny and smooth feel of your graphics, especially in the

"mighty fall" banner and the "sharpen knife" ci. your natural colouring is

such a change and i really like it. 

your blending style is absolutely great, i'm such a big fan of your work.

my favourites are either your mighty fall banner, first ci, character library or first sig.

in terms of critique, i think your weakest section at the moment is your icons.

they don't quite have the same quality as the rest of your gallery. i know you've

been focusing on getting some sigs in here at the moment but i think another

icon set would be good next. they seem quite bland at the moment (white bacgrounds,

simple colouring). the best in the set of icons would be #4, #8 and #11 and they'd

be a good starting point for another set.

i think it'd be worth keeping an eye on text too. it is sometimes overpowering (chasing,

fly). i think your top banner, mighty fall, baby come home and blend have the best use 

of text in your gallery and would be a good example moving forward.

overall, i love your style and can't wait to see what else you make.

xo jordan

2dihgly.png 

jordan | semi-available - pm first please | previously .kapowi 

| new gallery | hpff | artist q & a | 

#8 hannibal

hannibal

eat the rude

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:07 PM

Hey Hannah!!

I am here with your requested critique :loves:

First off, I think you have an amazing, well developed style, which is really great to see! You mix textures and stock so well, and the soft lighting and deep colouring really makes it stand out as you.

So starting with icons - I really like the cuts of the set you have up here, some of them are very creative! The colouring on some of them really pops, eg. 1, 3, 4 & 8, but on some of the others, especially towards the end of the set, they are under contrasted/saturated, and a couple are a little over-exposed. For example the 10th one could do with a lot more saturation/colour to fit in better with the rest of the set, and 14 & 16 are a little too flooded with white. However, icons aren't overly important in the grand scheme of things when it comes to promos etc, and they can be absolute devils to make, you've got a really good basis here!

Onto banners - wow. +This is absolutely stunning  :drop:  the colours, the comp, the gorgeous softness and the perfect text... I cannot find a single thing wrong with it. I am pretty jealous, banners really seem to be your strong point! Your composition all round here is pretty on point, again I love the way you combine stock with textures and pretty soft lighting. You seem to use the drop shadow a lot (don't we all...) and I feel like the large text on +this is a little off - it may be the colour of it, I can't quite put my finger on it... However, you do the text really well +here and +here - the fonts and the colours you've used really compliment the graphics well. Generally, your image quality is good, however I feel like the background on +this looks quite pixelly over where the clock textures are, so watch out for that.

Chapter Images! You have a lovely selection here, and I feel like the text is definitely your strong point. You have some really creative compositions here, like +this, which I love! Getting multiple people on a CI can be super difficult, and you've pulled it off very well. +This, however, isn't as strong - the woman in the background is very blurred, and it took me a few moments to see that it was actually a face there. Empty space can be very difficult to pull off! On the whole, I do love the colouring on your Chapter Images, though beware of over-filtering/sharpening. +This (ironically) looks a little over sharpened and grainy.

Siggies!! - my fave :sean: +This is suuuper pretty, probably one of your strongest graphics in here! The colouring and comp are very good, text amazing as usual, and the contrast is just right. You don't tend to over-contrast, which is great. I'm noticing a little over-exposure again though; the model's face on +this sig shows it most - you can see the right side of her nose and mouth kind of disappear into the skin tone, which makes it look flat and two-dimensional. Balck and white gradient maps set on soft light can be a great remedy to this, or even the burn/dodge tool, used sparingly, can put a lot of depth back into under-contrasted faces. And again on that sig, the font looks a little off, probably because of the dramatic gradient you've put over it. Or it may just be the font that's not sitting well with me ;) who knows... Finally, the +last sig is gorgeous, very creative comp and text, and the simple colouring is very pretty. Not much fault with that one!

I don't have a whole lot to say about your blends, other than +this is stunning!! (I feel like I'm repeating myself a lot...) Seriously, the text, the colouring, the comp, the negative space, all A+++. It flows together so well and is definitely one of my favourites here. As for the +second blend, the colouring again is lovely, very deep and gorgeous purpley colours (probably your best colour). I think you should definitely be commended for somehow making it look totally 3D! Like wow, so much depth in there! One thing I would say though is that the black and white Natalie in the background doesn't quite flow with the rest of the graphic. Her whites are very cyan-tinted, whereas the whites on the big Natalie's face are more yellow/pink tinted, and she is a little distracting from the main focal point, which is your big Natalie. Try to keep these shades consistent throughout the graphic for it to flow better.

So! Overall, your strengths are definitely your text, your lovely deep colouring and your soft lighting - I cannot gush enough over that first banner, I think I might need to marry it...

Since you asked for a cleanout, these are what I think are your weakest graphics:

+1 - Perhaps a change in the colour/font of the text would make this one better, it's a little overbearing, but the rest of the graphic is very pretty.

+2 - Again, some pixelly qualities to this one, and the smaller text in particular is definitely not as strong as the text on your other graphics. This is one of your weakest for sure.

+3 - The blurry background combined with the grey makes it look quite empty, and there's no real focal point here.

+4 - The focal point is rather off centre, and like I mentioned earlier, it looks a bit over-sharpened.

+5 - The under-contrast of the face along with the gradient of the text make this one look weaker than your other sigs. And definitely not your strongest background.

I hope that helped! Don't, by any means, feel obliged to take out all the graphics I mentioned ;) In closing I just want to say that you have a really gorgeous gallery here and I can't wait to see what else you make in future! :loves:

Georgie

This is my design

Posted Image

Ranier & Pascal -- Georgie -- UNAvailable, PM first -- Previously Schultz. -- Salazar

#9 wildest dreams.

wildest dreams.

that james dean meme dream

• Master Artist
  • 4,177 posts
  • Vault Points:293

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:14 PM

mike - ahh it's so so nice to be back thank you mike <3 and got it i've been watching my rotating and blending a little more lately thank youu  :dance: 

jade - omg that meme is terrifying google why, but ah ty so much you're an angel and ok one day i'll stop fretting over getting perfect graphics maybe but chu know it's haard i want everything to be great 

meena & meggie - i will waaait 

lizzy - omg you're so nicee thank you much <3 (and james mcavoy ikr i'm in love bless that face  :loves:)

jordan - oh you're so sweet omg, but got it i know my icons aren't my best, but thanks for mentioning the text I hadn't entirely clocked the overpowering thing so i'm so glad you pointed it out  :glomp: anyway thank you so muchh you're so nice <3

georgie - thank you! your crit was super helpful I really needed it even though you were so nice about my graphics I really appreciate that  :glomp: but i think i'm going with you on what needs to be taken out and i'll work on the text for the second banner and see if I can put it back in eventually i think, also looks like new icons are needed~~ but thanks so much for taking the time to have a look and tell me what you think you're an angel  :loves: 

#10 alextasy

alextasy
  • 13 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:59 PM

I told you I loved your stuff already, but I just want to comment here too.. I LOVE YOUR STUFF (life goals <3)

#11 accursed.

accursed.

Mo Duinne

• Veteran Artist
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 02:39 AM

hey hey!

I love your gallery & I love your face and I think you're super-dooper on your way to Greatness (There's no doubt about that, no)

I am in so much love with this banner *-* 

<3 

Keep doing you gorgeous! 

Posted Image

gallery || kinda-available?? Just got back. After a long time. 

#12 mother of kittens

mother of kittens
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:45 PM

jamie chung is a goddess and also gdi hannah you make such pretty things.

#13 wildest dreams.

wildest dreams.

• Master Artist
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:19 AM

alextasy - thank you you're far too sweet! <3

laura - you're wayyyyy to nice thank you so much o mighty sorting hat <3 

beth - ikr she is, and i try my best, thank youuuuu <3  :loves: 

#14 ethereal*

ethereal*
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:07 PM

hey there,

I adore your banners! they seem to be your strong suit  :thumbup:

my favorite thing here is this+ blend. so pretty!

keep it up,

-Maya

Posted Image

-Maya-

gallery

​previously VampireWeekend 

#15 tea cup

tea cup

scary spice

• Veteran Artist
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:31 AM

Hi Hannah! I'm here with your critique prize from A Place to Critique!

Banners
Good general composition! You seem to have got the basic techniques well in hand for banners, as focal point/sizing of people and text all flow really nicely. What I'd really recommend working on is colouring and image quality (and this will flow on for your graphics in general). Sometimes, I think overly bright whitened colours, or overly darkened darks (that was great English) are damaging your image quality. For example, here - it's generally hard to pull off greeny colours, but that part I think is managed well; rather, the small girl's face looks very LQ, which could either be the image, or the colouring you have over it. I'd also watch the gradient of colours you have on that banner, as it flows from greeny to yellow, but her face is red. It's not quite consistent in is colouring, which may be contributing to the fact that she just doesn't look like she fits quite right, with both the colouring and quality.

CIs
Here, I see some examples of really good image quality, so I think it may either be: (i) clean out older graphics with weaker image quality or (ii) remember to always use HQ images. This is a lot better in its image quality, which is great. In general, though, I'd watch for overcontrasting (here, her face -- it looks almost 'muddy', which in my experience comes from too much contrast or some sort of layer set to multiply/soft light/hard light/some other blend mode that messes with contrast and things). Other than that, there's not really one set thing that's wrong with these graphics - which is good, as it means you have handle on all your techniques. Rather, it's just fine-tuning everything to get to the next level, which, personally, was one of the hardest things ever. Here, the blending is a little messy on the edges and the top of her head looks strange in terms of colouring - those are things you can only really pick up with a really critical eye.

Personally, I used to come back to every graphic I made, a few days or weeks later, and try and 'critique' it myself - be really critical, try and go through all the main techniques (composition, colouring, image quality, text, filtering, etc.) and see how I'd done. Of course, that's not a fix-all solution, but it did help me in the senior-grad jump to start to pick out all the little minor things that, once fixed, can usually really lift an entire gallery's quality.

Sigs
I absolutely adore this! Colouring, comp, text -- all of it. Easily my favourite graphic in your gallery :) I'd recommend a clean out here, as the sigs at the top of the section just aren't as strong as the ones further down. Watch for overly yellow colouring, as people can come out looking a little flat (as often pictures of people are already quite yellow anyway, I've found, and colouring it on top of that it can easily overdo it and look unnatural). I like the blues in the last sig, so maybe try playing around and going for some colouring like that, or another colour -- basically, branch out from yellows.

Blends
Really strong composition once again! I'd be careful of the yellows once again in the first blend (it may just be my screen, but they always look a little dull to me). Make sure to check your contrast and lighting, and don't be afraid to try burn and dodge on the faces (I'm not sure if they're called that in GIMP, but I'm sure they exist) of your people if you want them to pop more. There's a tutorial on that someeewhere (which, if you PM me, I'll find haha). Also, don't be afraid to use the blur tool/smudge/GIMP equivalent to smooth out someone's skin -- see here, the black and white girl. Around the strap on her shoulder you can see pixels, as well as at the top of her leg. My general rule is to zoom in, and if I can see a lot of pixels sticking out in colours that ARENT skintone, blend them in. Just be careful not to go overboard, so perhaps, if GIMP can do it, turn down the strength of the blend tool to 20% or so.

Icons
Left these last as there's only the one set - make more! :D :D I like the variety of cuts there, though I'd try to brighten up your colouring a bit.

A few general things:

Lighting
Don't be afraid to play around with this, and toss it under colouring layers! I find it can really make a graphic pop and makes a huge difference. It can also help with contrast issues and lighten up any overly dark colouring. It's also a great way to create a focal point. You can do this in SO many ways; lighting textures, gradient maps, just a big soft brush with black or white (depending on if you want dark or light), duplicating your layers, blurring them, setting them to blend modes. It's fun to play around with, just try to find the tricky balance between 'popping' and over the top :P

Colouring
Again, this could be my screen, but the yellows look a little dull to me. Make sure to always check your contrast, and try playing around more with what you can do in colouring. Skin tones should always look quite natural, so don't be afraid of bringing out reds in them a little more, rather than just yellows. I'm not 100% sure on how to do that in GIMP anymore, tbh, but just experimenting around is often the best way to discover it. Try and create a graphic and force yourself to come up with 3 different colourings -- none can be monochrome.

Other than that you seem to have a good handle on text which is AWESOME! I love it when someone's got good text, it's quite rare imo, and was certainly something I did, and still do, struggle with. Don't be afraid to do regular clean outs, any graphic that has been in your gallery more than a couple of months without a promo should probably go - that's the general rule of thumb, as you probably know.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or anything like that, or if something makes zero sense, which is likely - this is quite a rambly critique, and I'm sorry it took a while to get to it! I've had a crazy week, haha. I hope that helps, anyway, as youv'e got a great start here and all the foundations are there -- just keep experimenting around!

-Julia :loves:

-- ATLAS EYES --

Posted Image

PW1 - sig by starbuck. -- PW2

#16 beyond the rain

beyond the rain

bad witch of 'north

• Master Artist
  • 4,373 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:18 AM

Hannah....why have I not commented here yet? srsly what am I doing .-. 

So I feel like you have comp down...like really well ^_^ 

Similarly with a lot of your text, like your banners are fabulous...I know you're not keen on colouring atm but I like a lot of what you've got. 

You could maybe experiment a little with colouring like try some bright stuff and I know you can use both stock and textures to a high level so show it off gurl you got this ;) 

Also watch your blending in places i.e here and here it's not like you've missed anything out it's just it looks a little inconsistent and a teensy bit messy so I know it's draining bc it's the boring bit but if the image doesn't work then find one that will and take time with blending - it's worth it in the end trust me ^_^

All in all though I do love your stuff, especially the Ophelia sig which I squeed a while back - I can see a style developing soon I'm sure! ^_^

Bex <3 

// hey i'm bex // MY TUMBLR (M) // semi available - PM first //  that's all (M)

image.png

#17 wildest dreams.

wildest dreams.

• Master Artist
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:06 PM

maya - you're so sweet thank you so much for the lovely comment!

julia - thank you so much for the crit, i really appreciate it, especially with the tips about colouring and image quality i'll definitely watch those ^_^

bex - aww bex you're too nice and you have so much faith in my ability to bright colour while i'm here like, so how about DARKNESS EVERYWHERE, i will try work on it though aand i'll check my blending too thank you so much  :loves: 

#18 pottered

pottered
  • 144 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:33 AM

omg hello hannah!!
your gallery is sooooo lovely and amazing. I loveeee the lily and karlie banners! also the sigs and chapter banners are so pretty, like, their comp and colouring is just <333 and omg the BLENDS (!!!!) <333 TEACH ME PLS like really, how to blend.
xx

gallery; unavailable; pm first

Posted Image

hello, i'm mary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users