January 2016[x]
by azimuth by red herring
by foggy
by Fireheart
by Artemesia
by Lauralei

Photo

kickstart my rock n' roll fantasy.9th december.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 page thirteen.

page thirteen.

i like superheroes and cheques with lots of zeroes on them

• Staff Moderator
  • 2,112 posts
  • Software:Photoshop
  • Vault Points:887

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:33 PM

headerromee1.png

headerromeeicons.png

yp0bBJYF.png
QmTWRrbB.png

headerromeebanners.png

bannersuck.png
bannersunlight.png
bannerlight.png
bannermagic.png
5QP9n52B.png

headerromeechapter.png

cikissed.pngcisecret.png

cilouvre.pngLBwuqEZ2.png

headerromeesignatures.png

setbatman1.png
mRNz3N.png
9oUVFGcg.png

headerromeeblends.png

rvuWkaDD.png

K1trdcy7.png

headerromeeawards.png
dG5PG5z.png
headerromeecredits.png

Edited by page thirteen., 09 December 2017 - 05:41 PM.

#2 wildest dreams.

wildest dreams.

that james dean meme dream

• Requesting Arena Moderator
  • 3,968 posts
  • Vault Points:293

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:34 PM

ok. so look you put up with me for the entire last two weeks moaning and grouching about my gallery and through all that you managed to make your  own entirely gallery and it be super pretty and i just entirely love everything. Not even just because half of it is our ships :| 

but also you have a gr9 style even if you're still working out the kinks and everything is so so pretty i just ugh. especially your sigs i'm so here for them plz make lots of them. and also your hazards of love CI's are inspirational and you should probably teach me how to comp and text one of these days. also i know you really hate icons but i love your blank space ones

that is all i'm just gonna bow down to everything now ok 

Edited by Inexplicable, 17 March 2015 - 04:47 PM.

#3 eons.

eons.

SECRET TUNNEL

• Graduate Artist
  • 656 posts
  • Software:Elements

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:44 PM

YAS

meena, pm first

Posted Image

Gallery.

#4 sail boat

sail boat

florence is bae

• Graduate Artist
  • 1,859 posts
  • Software:Elements

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:11 PM

/comes back super late

I NEVER EDITED THIS! 

I love how crisp and clean your gallery is - everything is so lovely and well colored and I think it at all goes so well together

your coloring is absolutely lovely - especially in your blank space icons, I just think they're so beautiful plus I love t swizzle

I also love love love your signatures and I adore the first one especially. I think it's the little white starry floaty thingies (scientific name as you can see :lol:) that sold me on it because they make the graphic so much more awesome :loves:

also that character library image is *__*

and I adore your third banner :D

gorgeousssss stuff!

Edited by sail boat, 13 April 2015 - 07:12 PM.

MEGGIE

rt2a3YE.png

e. rinaldi + r. everard-xin on pw // thank you to my bae vee for this amazing set

#5 meraki

meraki
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:46 AM

Everything is so beautiful!  :headdesk: 
I especially love your other/blend image and would love to see more 'blend'-like images from you.

#6 page thirteen.

page thirteen.

• Staff Moderator
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:35 AM

@the bacon omg i don't even know who you are how dare you enter this gallery with your nice comments first u must teach me how to texture

@eons. er i'll wait

@meggie better late than never ;) and you da best for such a sweet comment, i love using the sparkly light things (you know what i mean :') ), thaaaank you <3

@meraki ur a cutie and very kind because i actually have no idea how to make blends :| thank you for that!

Edited by clarity., 15 April 2015 - 10:05 AM.

#7 chernabog rising.

chernabog rising.

you're not sentimental.

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:16 PM

hello hello! i am here for your critique. i'm gonna break this down by area, and then by section.

blending. for the most part your blending is fine. you're a grad, so i'm not gonna go on much about it since blending is something you obviously have the hang of. the only advice i have is to look at your blending closely, because you have a few pieces where it looks strange, such as this sig where her arm is blending with the texture, and this banner where her shoulder looks a bit chipped off and this one where the model on the left has part of their arm cut away. i know you said you only came back recently, so it is most likely simply you getting the hang of blending again, just watch out for it~ you seem to have the most issue with blending when it is against texture more than stock. i'm not sure why that is, but something to keep in mind.
composition. for the most part your composition is pretty good, with the biggest problem in it being text, which i will get to shortly, so i will only mention any other bits. i think your other issue with composition is that, by section, it is repetitive. as in, your banners and your chapter images don't look the same, but your banners all have similar comp and your chapter images all have similar comp. for example, all your banners but the fourth focus on two subjects, both place either near the center or left of center. you kind of neglect place anything to the far left or far right, and it becomes very uniform. this goes as well for chapter images where you tend to focus left or left of center and on sigs where you focus right or right of center. so i would suggest experimenting with that, playing around with your positioning, as that could effect style, but i will also get to that soon~
colouring. i don't have much to say here because i really like your colouring, i think it's a strength. i think sometimes the colour of text you choose is off, but i'll get to that in a minute.
text. now, you said one of your weak points is text, and i think i'd agree that it's not your strongest point. i think one of the biggest problems is it all looks very similar. you use a lot of script fonts, and you seem to border everything. borders are good for making your text more visible, but when you use similar fonts and constantly do that effect, it starts to all kind of blend together. as well, the colour choices for your text sometimes seem strange, such as the chapter image on the right here the more saturated mint colour doesn't go well with the monochromatic aspects of the rest of the image. third, and most importantly, i think the thing that may be holding you back with text is placement. your placement sometimes seems very random, and it throws off the flow of the graphic. for example, the small text in this banner is great, but the large text seems out of place. i feel it would flow better lower and closer to phoebe, where it surrounds one of your subjects. my general rule of thumb for text placement is to put it in the area where i want the eye to be drawn; don't let it clutter, but put it close to your subject so that's where the eye goes, and that way it actually looks less cluttered than text far away from your subject. so in sum, try some new fonts and effects and play with colouring/placement~
style. i wouldn't usually comment on style, but i know you said you are concerned with finding your style as a grad, so i'm going to give it my best shot. the main thing i will comment on is what i noted in composition with repetition. repetition almost seems like a step you have to take before style, or it seems like a lot of people take it, but it can also drag you down. style tends to come about by first repeating yourself, realizing you're repeating yourself, and then taking steps to do the things you usually do but making each piece look different, and then style emerges. so i think you are at that step now to do that, so the main thing you need to focus on now is that, and just experimenting with different things to really establish your style.

onto sections~

icons. i love these and i love their colouring, i have nothing to add, other than that i'd love to see more.
banners. i have covered a lot of what i wanted to say about banners, so i have very little to add other than that i think you may want to play more with your texture use in them. you are fabulous with stock but it seems like when you heavily use textures in your banners it sometimes drags them down, so i would just stay weary of that.
get rid of for promos: i ii
chapter images. i have also covered everything for these, so i'm just going to do cleaning~
get rid of for promos: first two iii
signatures. the only thing i have to add for signatures is that your colouring on them seems lesser than on some of your other pieces, and i'm not sure why. so i'd just maybe try to play with colouring on them, as some seem muted. they're still great, but not as great as some of your other pieces.
get rid of for promos: i ii
other. nothing to add so just cleaning~
get rid of for promos: i

that's all i got right now~ if you have any other questions, pm me!

gabriel/the artist formerly known as silver. semi-available.
good vibrations.

Posted Image

#8 page thirteen.

page thirteen.

• Staff Moderator
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:29 PM

ahhhh thank you! to, er, comment:

you seem to have the most issue with blending when it is against texture more than stock.

probably because i don't like working with textures in the first place :sean:

but i get what you're saying when it comes to composition & text- i keep trying to shake up my composition a bit but for the most part, then i get stuck with where i'm supposed to put my text :/ also how would i fill up the space on the far sides how terrifying i will, however, lay off the stroke on my text for a while :') thank for the extra cleanout bit and the advice in general, it's very helpful <3

#9 Feneis.

Feneis.
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:58 AM

Okay, can I say how happy I am that you've picked up my mark ruffalo request??!

I LOVE your gallery omg. :wub: Your Taylor Swift icons are freaking awesome and i think I may have just fallen in love rn.

Especially jealous of your goooorgeous rise to me banner. And omg your chapter images!!! And, just. Everything okay.

What amazes me the most about your skills is that your colorings are soo neat and sooo natural-looking! It's like, you really don't need much for your graphics to look that good! This is something I really admire, because a great chunk of my graphics goes to coloring to try and "up" the quality, or whatever. uGH.

I love your gallery so much :wub:

· lizzy · 23 · currently procrastinating over finals, yaay ·

Posted Image

phoenixalthor made this incredible set which i can't stop looking at<3 (ty soo much, omg! :3)

#10 mother of kittens

mother of kittens
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:40 PM

apart from the lack of chris hemsworth in a bonnet these are amazing /bows 

#11 hannibal

hannibal

eat the rude

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:52 PM

Heyy sorry this is a little late! But I'm here with your requested critique! :loves:

First off, I can definitely see a style in your graphics so idk what you're talking about ;) there's something about the smoothness of your blending, the lighting and soft colouring that really make them stand out. And the way you seem to be able to make stock look like textures. It's super pretty and you should definitely keep developing it!

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about that icon set, by the way. The colouring and cuts are just perfect, and each of them has a gorgeous little pop of red that makes me want to eat them *-* they all just flow so well together and A++ icon set I wish I could icon like that u_u

Moving onto banners! I love love your first banner it is absolutely gorgeous!! The comp is really lovely, and the blue colouring really makes it stand out. The text, everything just flows really nicely! It's definitely your strongest banner, and the rest of the set is really pretty too! I would probably put the other two in as well (though you asked for a cleanout so maybe that wasn't good advice...) +This banner is not as strong. first thing that catches my eye is the black square on the right, which really throws off the whole graphic. You should always try and balance out your banners on both sides, so that it doesn't throw off the focus. Also, watch out for the image quality of your characters, they look a little over sharpened. The colouring is nice, but not as bold as some of your other pieces. Douglas' face is very yellow, brought about by the similar shades in mid-tones and highlights. You should avoid this. If you have a nice warm tone for your mid-tones, you should pick a colder colour for the highlight. Also the text is not as strong as in the first banner. On the contrary, +this banner is really pretty, and it totally shows off how well you can use textures as well as stock. Everything is so smoothly blended and flows really well, awesome work!

Chapter Images! I really like +this, the colouring works well and I like the text use. One thing I might suggest is that your text is totally horizontal, yet you don't really have any other horizontal lines in the rest of your graphic. Try to make it flow with the natural lines in your background, eg. put it on a slight diagonal so it matches the way her hair is flowing. I'll mention image quality again in +this CI. It looks over sharpened again, and the colouring doesn't quite work - it's all quite patchy, blue over part of her face, peachy highlight on his, the leaves all different colours. Plus the blending, comp and text aren't as strong as in your other CIs. However I loooove +this one! Again, it gives a good example of how creative you can be with textures, and the colouring is really gorgeous as well. Maybe just tone down the sharpening a little - the text at the bottom is a tiny bit difficult to read.

Signatures! I'm noticing a trend with horizontal text ;) some is absolutely fine, but try not to have all of the text in one graphic all at the same angle. Search for the natural lines in your base and use them to your advantage. e.g. 'I said you were my little' in +this banner could follow the slope of the smaller character's shoulder right beneath it. On the whole, though, I like this sig. The colouring is pretty and the comp flows very nicely. Just be careful of the blending around the smaller character's other shoulder there he overlaps the bigger character! I like the colouring on +this but I'm not totally sure where the focal point is. She is very small and really the only thing filling the big space to her left is a straight line of text.

Now blends - +this is probably my favourite thing in your whole gallery. The texture use and the colouring are spot on, and the text follows that lovely red line in the texture beneath - perfect! :'D I like the composition of +this, it has some really nice depth, and the red colour really pops! However the text looks kind of over sharpened, and is a bit difficult to read. Also I'm not entirely sure about the areas where the bright red, solid curtain fades in to the background. It takes away from the depth a little, which is a shame because it's the solid parts of the curtain that help to give it depth in the first place!

Overall, I think text is what you need to look out for the most. Try not to make it all so rigid and straight, experiment a little with diagonals and curves - I can see you've already started to do that, which is perf. Keep doing that! You should also keep an eye on image quality/over filtering. Sharpening is a great tool, but when used too much it can lower the quality significantly. Mostly, though, I think you have a really great gallery here, and loads you can work on! I would love to see more graphics made using just textures in here - the few you already have are probably the strongest ones.

And finally for the cleanout:

+1 - Focal point is off, unbalanced graphic, image quality low.

+2 - Weaker comp, patchy colouring, image quality low.

+3 - Weaker text and colouring, balance slightly off.

+4 - Too rigid text, focal point off.

+5 - Over-sharpened text, slight problems with depth.

Of course, you don't have to throw out all the ones I mentioned, it's just to give you an idea ;) But anyway, I hope this was helpful! Let me know if you have any questions about anything I've said, and keep up the amazing work! I can't wait to see what you come up with in future. :wub:

This is my design

Posted Image

Ranier & Pascal -- Georgie -- UNAvailable, PM first -- Previously Schultz. -- Salazar

#12 page thirteen.

page thirteen.

• Staff Moderator
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:36 PM

@lizzy omg thaaank you so much you're so sweet <3 and yes, haha, i love natural colouring :') (and i'm glad you liked the ruffalo set too!)

@beth look, beth, you don't understand, this gallery is not yet worthy of chris hemsworth in a bonnet ;_; (but thank you :P )

@georgie you're a wonderful wonderful person and this critique was super helpful and i'm definitely taking everything into account and i'm working on making my text fit into the graphic more~ and also thank you for the cleanout- i haven't taken out everything just yet because it'd make my gallery look p empty, but i'm working on replacing my weaker graphics for sure ^_^

#13 beyond the rain

beyond the rain

bad witch of 'north

• Master Artist
  • 4,188 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:14 PM

so i'm 12th? I suppose I'll settle. 

first off my biggest crit is...why is our bblb award not at the top of your gallery like we agreed? ;D 

okay, my first issue is your CI's are too fabulous, I'm not even gonna link bc they're both gorgeous, my heart actually swelled looking at them (such a weird phrase...idek if it's real, for now it is) 

Your i work alone banner is to die for  :drop:  and the same goes for this+ the blending, the colouring, text and composition...it's all there, it's just so pretty I can't deal. 

It's like after three years you've returned with all your stuff like BAM and left us all in awe...I definitely am. 

so in short share your skills and talents, yeah? I'll trade with mine...probably not the best offer but it's all I've got 

love the little buddy (aka fleetwood bex)  :glomp:  :wub: 

// bex  // lovely sig by saturn. // MY TUMBLR (M)
image.png

~now, sashay away ♥ ~  

#14 pottered

pottered
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:31 PM

OK HEY HELLO HI IM HERE! it's mary and I love ur gallery, jade, like that's it ok. I just love it.
the start of the gallery just took my heart because the composition (squeals) ?? and the colouring ?? so /pretty/
Also, your chapter banners are so cool and like I applaud you for that and like any person who can do chapter banners since I can/not/ lol. And omgggg, your sigs are lifeeeee!!
ps. I'm dying over the Chris pratt blend (it's so beautiful. my little heart)

gallery; unavailable; pm first

Posted Image

hello, i'm mary

#15 page thirteen.

page thirteen.

• Staff Moderator
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 05:40 PM

@bex failed you already ;_; but omg thank you for the comment and i 100% want to swap skills with you, when can this go down?

@mary you come in here w/ ur nice comments... but thank you for the nice comment because it made my day <333 chris pratt5evr

#16 daredevil

daredevil

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡ )

• Veteran Artist
  • 3,396 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:21 PM

HELLO MY BRADICAL CHILD

(the bradical is following you :sean: )

I can't believe I haven't posted in your gallery yet oh my diddly doddly

your style is gorgeous

and I love everything you've been making ahhh

especially your new banners omg

I love your soft colouring and amazing conversation oh my god you're too good

TEACH ME YOUR WAYS

:worship:

I love you

I want to be you when I grow up

thanks

bye

ily

(ノ◕‿◕)ノ*:・゚✧

vee & gallery & unavailable for the forseeable future

KUcZ0cz.png

★ texture pack texture pack v.2 digital painting tutorial & prev: legolas.

#17 Kirjava

Kirjava

Kinda love caaaaake @_@

• Senior Artist
  • 530 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:47 PM

Jaaaaaaaade!

First of all, when you spend as much time on the online list as I do, I expect to be able to hover on your name and click on gallery for it to work D: Go fix it! Go on!

But also omg I love every in here so much. Your graphics are seriously beautiful and judging by how many mentions you've had for things this month, you have been on it!! Seriously though, your style is so distinctive and lovely and I thought I'd be able to choose something to squee in here and I can't cos it's hard to choose. So I had to settle for three things instead cos *_* What even is colouring in this, and texture use in this and everything about this!

Waaah perfect perfect! Keep it upppp <33

Shona

Edited by Kirjava, 01 June 2015 - 05:49 PM.

Hi! I be Shona : )

mtT5Njy.png

Milady has the swirliest graphicking skills ever!

+Gallery

#18 page thirteen.

page thirteen.

• Staff Moderator
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:03 PM

@vee dear friend, what did i do to deserve this bradical following me </3 </3 </3 but honestly vee this is kinda awkward because i decided that when i grow up i want be like you so idk how this is gonna be work now?!?! but really, thaaaank you my sweet

@shona fixed it milord :mellow: can't believe you'd come in here with such sweet words 4 me :'D but your comment is lovely and i am treasuring it forever and i will be returning the favour in your gallery at some point, i'm sure~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users