6NIitKp.png

4ghMWjJ.png

OHzBH69.png

QdfB557.png

A W A R D S

R5trVf6.png

award by schulz.

++++Credits Here++++

Edited by Wolfgirl, 15 January 2017 - 05:35 AM.

:eat:ELLIE ~   :thumbup:

3F3GeSj.png

Gallery | FF.net | HPFT

#2 starbuck.

starbuck.

hotshot

• Administrator
  • 4,222 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

before this gallery can be approved you need to read our copyright rules+ - you credit strykmig@deviantart but she doesn't offer any resources on her account and her photography images cannot be used as stock, the same thing goes for Boeing747@deviantart and spinewinder@deviantart (he only offers tutorials and that are not really applicable to the kind of graphics we make on TDA). g9ntzwOwG1qefyomo1@tumblr appears to not exist so please check/update your resources.

when you have made the necessary changes you can pm and admin or a staff moderator to have your gallery looked over again and approved :)

lovely signature by Artemesia (:

zknMd.png
kristina || hic sunt leones || artist q&a || copyright rules

#3 cleopatra.

cleopatra.

not all those who wander are lost

• 797 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:15 PM

Hi Wolfgirl! 

You've got a wonderful start here! :) There are a couple of things that you need to watch out for! At the moment you're using low quality images which really bring the graphic down! so make sure that when you're choosing which images you want to use - they absolutely high quality! trust me - it can really make a difference! Another thing i notice is that your images are looking too stretched! just hold down the shift button while re-sizing the images in photoshop and you'll be good to go! :) your composition and colouring are not bad at all - i'm sure you'll be great as you keep practicing :) 

check out the tutorial centre and the critique conner! they're a real help when you're trying to improve! 

i hope this helped! i'll be back soon xx

-pooja 

pooja || paradise; || not available

Posted Image

signature: scintilla || icon: moonlace || previosuly: Holly_Mist

#4 Wolfgirl

Wolfgirl
  • Member Artist
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:08 AM

Thanks Pooja,

As it is I've been re-sizing my images via the control-alt-I buttons and changing them manually. I have been having a little trouble finding high quality images too. So if anyone has any suggestions, I already raided the TDA resources and Stock image section, but beyond that, I'm open to the help/suggestions anyone can offer. =)

New Banners and chapter images and Sig. Icons and maybe a blend to come. :yahoo:
Also, can someone tell me if i'm updating my gallery right by editing the original post with additional images? :confused1:

Edited by Mintleaf, 11 March 2015 - 07:25 AM.

3F3GeSj.png

Gallery | FF.net | HPFT

#5 catharsis

catharsis

my world is reduced to a single instinct: survive

• Staff Artist
  • 3,200 posts
  • Software:Paint

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:40 AM

Hi Ellie! :)

You're off to a really good start. It's great to see that you're experimenting with composition and different fonts and I can see that you're improving from when I first looked at your gallery about a month ago. That's awesome! :D One thing I'd recommend is to be careful about resizing images because it's pretty easy for them to stretch, like on +this for example. I'm pretty sure you use photoshop, right? Well there's a pretty easy trick you can use to make sure your images size down properly - you just have to hold down the shift button while you resize them. ^_^ That'll make your graphics look a lot better really quickly! That's the biggest thing to watch out for, I think. Otherwise, just keep experimenting and trying new things, because that's the best way to improve. :hug:

Can't wait to see more! Update soon!
Daisy~

-- crystal moccasins, bionic cheese --

i live, i die, I LIVE AGAIN. (except probably not because i'm really busy sorry)

Posted Image

#6 Heg4

Heg4
  • 133 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:59 AM

Hey!

This is a nice start to your gallery Wolfgirl. I love your composition it is really nice and pretty, especially on your first banner. I think that the thing you need to watch out for is your image size and quality. It is looking a little squashed in places. Also I think that sometimes on your graphics the contrast is quite high. Other wise, I think you are improving steadily !

gallery hpff
                                                    Posted Image
                                                                                                        set by me

#7 Wolfgirl

Wolfgirl
  • Member Artist
  • 365 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:13 AM

Thanks to Catharsis and Heg4 for the comments. :happy:

I'll make sure to take your advice and I think I have removed all of the images that looked squashed now.

Please let me know if there are any more, and I'll get rid of them. :ohmy:  (IMAGE DEATH Mooohahahahahahaha! :evil: )

I think it might be time to expand my collection here too

Need to make this gallery look good if I want to get promoted next month  :creepy:

Edited by Wolfgirl, 22 May 2014 - 01:35 AM.

3F3GeSj.png

Gallery | FF.net | HPFT

#8 catharsis

catharsis

• Staff Artist
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

Hi Ellie. :) Here's the critique you asked for!

Resizing images: This is something you really need to fix as quickly as you can, because it's something that will definitely hold you back from being promoted in the future. +here, the image of Emma hasn't been resized properly so she's become distorted and warped. I can see this issue in a few of your graphics and I'd recommend either redoing or removing any where that's the case, because it's a big issue. When you're resizing images in photoshop, you need to hold down the shift key while you're doing it and make sure you don't let go of the shift key until after you've finished resizing the image, otherwise that's what happens. You've got the same issue +here (far left), +here (Emma and Tom), +here (Emma), +here (left) and +here. This is something you need to be really, really careful of because it will hold you back. 

Contrast: Having a good level of contrast means that your graphics, and most importantly the people on your graphics, appear natural. If you don't have enough contrast, they can look pale and washed out, but if there's too much, then your graphics and people look too bright and harsh. +here, your people are under-contrasted and look a bit flat, whereas +here, +here, +here, +here and +here you have too much contrast. Make sure that you only use pictures of people that already look natural and high quality. Otherwise, your graphics are going to suffer as a result. 

Backgrounds and textures: As a rule of thumb, putting textures over the top of people doesn't look good. It's something that I would avoid if I were you, until you're at a higher level and can start experimenting with that sort of thing. :) I think you're using too many images in your backgrounds that don't really mesh together that well and it makes your graphics look a bit unnatural. For now, why don't you try using one or two stock images in your backgrounds and then putting one or two people on top? Look in +this forum for some stock packs and download one. Try not to set your images to blending modes like lighten, darken, soft light, etc. because it's making your graphics look a bit harsh and lowering the quality of the images you're using. 

I think the best way for you to improve would be to try and be a little bit more simple. There are a few things that you're doing in all your graphics (the things I've mentioned above) which is not very flattering and I think you'd be best off forgetting some of those techniques and starting just with some really simple things. Take a couple of stock images from a pack you download (don't forget to credit the artist!) and blend them together with a large, soft brush. Then put one or two people on top and blend them in. You don't need to do any extreme colouring, just keep things simple. I would also suggest using the critique area to post your graphics and get some feedback. :) 

I hope this helped! Let me know if you ever want a hand with a particular graphic. ^_^

Daisy

i live, i die, I LIVE AGAIN. (except probably not because i'm really busy sorry)

Posted Image

#9 Wolfgirl

Wolfgirl
  • Member Artist
  • 365 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:07 PM

Hey Daisy,

Thanks so much for the critique (and the accompanying message)  :happy:  I have removed all but one of the images you told me were poorly sized/ over or under contrasted. (The one I didn't remove I'm hoping to fix).

Also, I think I need a little help with how to blend them when they are simple. I tried it with a couple of image by just putting a stock image (duplicated a few times, and blending in a person or two, and it just looked horrible. They didn't match up and it looked so unnatural that i may have proceeded to go overboard with the stock from then on.... :cry:

Could you just clarify "blend" them? I've read two ways of blending; The first by creating a new layer and blending over the bad/harsh lines and such (which I found makes it look unnatural because i wind up with funny colored blend lines all over the place). The Second was by using a really low opacity brush on 'Eraser' and blending them by deleting the harsh lines until it all looks natural.... Which is better/ more effective?  :confused1:

Thanks again so much. I will definitely PM you/ hit up the critique arena with my graphics from now on to make sure I'm getting things right.  :D

~ Ellie.  :hug:

3F3GeSj.png

Gallery | FF.net | HPFT

#10 wildflower4evr

wildflower4evr
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:57 PM

Hey Ellie! I thought I would come by and have a looksy at your gallery! I had stopped by when you first began and I can really tell a difference and see improvement! I noticed in your last comment about how you say you kinda struggle with blending. I'm sure you know by now, but if you didn't I thought I would point you in the direction of some extremely helpful tutorials on this issue. +this tutorial and +this tutorial are both really helpful in that area and I've turned to them to learn a trick or two!

Posted Image

DarkRiverTempest's Personal Graphics Bizotch (a title I proudly wear)

Love Lust Faith + Dreams

#11 catharsis

catharsis

• Staff Artist
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:52 PM

Ellie, wow! :drop: 

I get busy for a few weeks and don't check on your progress and suddenly your graphics have exploded! You have improved so quickly! :D +this and +this are both so pretty. :edward: All of your graphics are a huge improvement from where you were a month ago, but those two banners in particular are really beautiful. Whatever you did with those, keep doing it! It's definitely working! :D

Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see more. ^_^

Daisy

Posted Image

#12 Wolfgirl

Wolfgirl
  • Member Artist
  • 365 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:06 AM

Hey Daisy,  :happy:

Thanks so much. I have been trying to get some of my new images to be as seamless as the ones you linked as liking but for some reason it just doens't always seem to work out for me. Will have to keep trying. Thanks for being such a great mentor.  :worship:

Ellie

3F3GeSj.png

Gallery | FF.net | HPFT

#13 wintersoldier

wintersoldier
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:01 AM

Hello!

I really like the composition of the "When the Caged Bird Sings" banner. I just love all the elements of it and the choice of images used in the graphic!

Cheers!

#14 eons.

eons.

SECRET TUNNEL

• Graduate Artist
  • 653 posts
  • Software:Elements

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:46 PM

I would still love you Wolfgirl!

meena, pm first

Posted Image

Gallery.

#15 Wolfgirl

Wolfgirl
  • Member Artist
  • 365 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:58 PM

Haha, Thanks Crookshanks Saga!  :happy: And unfortunately wintersoldier, I had to clean that one out to make room for the new ones.... but I'm glad you liked it

Edited by Wolfgirl, 04 November 2014 - 08:43 AM.

3F3GeSj.png

Gallery | FF.net | HPFT

#16 vinewood

vinewood

on wednesdays we wear pink

• Veteran Artist
  • 685 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:55 AM

Hey there Ellie! Noticed you hanging around the critique places and thought I’d come by just to help out!

First off, wow you have a great start going on for you. You’ve got some things down that I really struggled with as a member artist, so you are heading in the right direction for sure. Though your image quality and text leave some things to be desired, I will say that the way your banners are composed and your placement of models is actually quite striking in certain pieces, particularly here, herehere and even here. Like I said, be sure to be wary of image quality - always make sure that your images are fairly HQ to begin with, and don't go resizing them more than once or twice at the very maximum. Multiple transformations affect pixel data (basically, how many pixels are in the image) and can turn out blurry or warped. And of course, to be safe, always keep textures off of faces. :) It just keeps things cleaner. 

Second, try downloading some fun new fonts from websites like dafont. It will open up your repertoire of moods you can inflict through your graphics.

Third, one tip that someone gave me a while ago which saved me SO much misery is about text colorings. A good way to stay on the safe side is to always make the color of your fonts the same as SOME other color in your graphic. For example, +here and here, you used bright white for your fonts, where there is pretty much no white of equal brightness in either font. Try sampling with your eyedropper tool to pick which colors look best, as long as they stand out! (Just for the sake of contrast, take a look at what Mintleaf did in your sig here - the color of her "slime" font is the same as the green in the girl's shirt and the guy's face. See how it blends better? :D )

Anyway! I hope this was all helpful. You've got such great graphics so far, it was fun to stop by! :) 

Edited by vinewood, 09 November 2014 - 05:57 AM.

+there are no { strings } on me

jfTmO6L.png

lindsey - nicholas laurent - available  - gorgeous set by viridis.albus.aurum

#17 Wolfgirl

Wolfgirl
  • Member Artist
  • 365 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:15 AM

Thanks so much for the advice Lindsey.  :thumbup:

I do have heaps of fonts downloaded, I just never experiment with them. Every time I do they don't suit the image I'm going for or they look funny to me. I'll have to try experimenting with them some more. I see what you mean about the stark white text too. I'll make sure to fix that up.

I also seem to have this recurring problem with image quality and I'm just not nailing it.  :angry:  No matter what I try, be it getting really high quality images and only re-sizing them once, I always get pulled up for it. I always hold down shift when I do it too. Sometime I do put textures over the top of people to balance out the graphic color, but most of the time i erase the parts over faces... The worst part is that most of the time I can't even see which ones it's happening on (possibly due to making graphics without my glasses on...) But I would love it if someone could help me with which ones in my gallery are blurry/low quality so that I can be on the lookout for it and really see what's going wrong.  :sad:

3F3GeSj.png

Gallery | FF.net | HPFT

#18 ladymiresa

ladymiresa
  • Senior Artist
  • 409 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:34 PM

Hey Ellie!! I'm here from the "Critique my Gallery" thread.. really happy to see what you've got going on here! So, let's get started...

I think you could start with weeding out some of your graphics. You have a lot of banners and they range in quality. It's possible that some of your older graphics are holding you back. I really like this+; it's got a nice comp as well as blending of the stock! As opposed to this+ one where the blending is poor. So I would recommend going through each graphic and critically asking yourself if its some of your best work. If not, then ditch it!

You mentioned that you have a hard time recognizing image quality issues. This+ is probably one of my favorite graphics in your gallery because the coloring is very soft and pretty and the images are nice. It looks so smooth! Some of your other banners (here+ and here+) seem a little off. I wouldn't say that you're picking poor photos -they're probably HQ- but you've over contrasted/colored them, reducing the quality. Also, for the last one I linked...notice how each of the subjects have a vastly different exposure and tone to their skin? Try prepping your images (experiment with Color Balance) individually to make them all a similar tone.. this way they work together well on canvas.

I think one of your greatest strengths is your composition. You're not stuck using one formula, which is really excellent. Try making a banner with just one subject, you don't have many of these and I think it would challenge you! You also seem to rely heavily on stock -I'd like to see you try some texture based graphics! I think a diversity like this would aid your promotion.

Sooo, to sum it up: Weed out your graphics, don't over contrast/color, and prep your images so that they flow nicely. Play around a bit more with textures! 

Can't wait to see where this gallery heads! <3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users