• Veteran Artist
  • 3,200 posts
  • Software:Paint

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

vaMRTc5.png

Tilly is my soulmate. Watch out.
jnir4QE.png

hJerc9R.png

(gorgeous awards made by Tilly/Mintleaf by the way. She is a goddess or something and I love her quite a bit. Thanks so much everyone who voted!)

I started my masters in February so unfortunately I might be a bit slow while I try to figure out a balance between study, work and recreation. Obviously
TDA falls into the recreation category and isn't going to take priority at the moment, but I'll be around as much as I can! New graphics might come kind
of slowly though while I try to get myself into good habits and a good pattern. But I'll try! Because photoshop is my friend and I miss it something awful.

PMrWUjQ.png

aCBhork.png

sFEvEmn.png

SjmEb4X.png

cu5LEwF.png

(^click for animation^)

CnVs97D.png

OjLpmJf.png

xH0DEDR.png

jKlyg36.png

5jM9tbW.png

OAPI2xl.png

GrHp78D.png

SVUCJvO.png

GTbW7r4.png

MMrwayo.png

cyw1lqh.png

bz11rnk.png

59Akpup.gif

M9a8DCO.gif

0TKE7wn3.gif

6jyYOHo.gif

w10DMf2.gif

sRCmIDy.png

YXCHfPN.png EbgBU7k.png

p5vo35v.png

3NKCmmI.png

hGRHTqw.png

orDQU2O.png

1OBzXD9.png  224Y4f9.png

(click for full size)

vXfXbHn.png

I5zJ31L.png

(click for credits)

PyvQp1g.png
Credits: A list of my resources used can be found +here.
Awards: A list of awards I've received can be found +here.

Challenges: A list of the challenges I've won can be found +here.
Gifts: A list of gifts I've been given can be found +here.

Old Favourites: A list of my old favourites can be found +here.

Edited by catharsis, 30 May 2015 - 06:14 AM.

-- crystal moccasins, bionic cheese --

i live, i die, I LIVE AGAIN. (except probably not because i'm really busy sorry)

Posted Image

#2 Asphodelic

Asphodelic

Avi_Stole_My_Heart

• Senior Artist
  • 4,674 posts
  • Software:GIMP
  • Vault Points:185

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:03 AM

Hello dear! Welcome to TDA! :D I'm Alishya - nice to meet you. :dumbles:

I've seen you've been roaming around the forums - so that's a really good thing! ^_^

You're off to a magnificent start I must say! :) The cuts on your icons are awesome and the composition of your graphics are great!

Keep up the great work! You have the Tutorial Center to help you make better graphics. ;) And you have the Critique Corner to ask other fellow artists assistance for your graphics. :angel:

Feel free to come to me if you ever have any questions! :halo:

From your fellow Reid lover (lol. :P)

- Asphodel

|| Alishya || +Gallery+Designer Gallery || TDA's Resident of Eppes Brothers Fanatic || Available (Please PM beforehand) ||

vWC6Tc.gif

#3 catharsis

catharsis

my world is reduced to a single instinct: survive

• Veteran Artist
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:39 AM

Hi Alishya, fellow Reid lover! :D
Thanks for stopping by my gallery! I've been stalking the tutorials since I joined and they are really helpful, especially some of the ones that explain tips on certain elements. I need to look at even more though. It's harder putting what I read into practice than I expected.
Anyway, thank you! Bye!

i live, i die, I LIVE AGAIN. (except probably not because i'm really busy sorry)

Posted Image

#4 Arimi

Arimi

I can't deal with jam hands.

• 562 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

YAY! Daisy, your gallery is so promising! ^_^ I peeked in it when it was still in the new gallery section, and I was impressed! I love that you're experimenting with composition and fonts. 

My favorite things: icons (nice cuts!), colour me banner, jaime banner, holding on by a thread banner (nice text placement!!), second sig (love the comp though the "veiled" text is a wee big), third sig (comp!!), ALL of the CIs, and the blend! :)

At this point, I'd just advise you to keep experimenting. Like I said before, I can already see that you're trying new things so just keep at it! Also, you have a lot of graphics in your gallery at this point so make sure to weed out some of the weaker ones. I wanted to leave you with a link to one of my favorite tutorials from TDA: +Simple Monochrome by Violet. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me! ^__^

~Laura

Edited by Arimi, 16 January 2014 - 11:57 AM.

Posted Image

Laura / Previously Lake / LGMS Judge / Kinda available (PM) Another perfect set by sugar & spice

#5 Photoshopfreak

Photoshopfreak

A girl has no name.

• Master Artist
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:17 PM

Hello! Amanda here with your crit. :)

Icons :

You have AMAZING cuts on your icons. And I'm blown away by how MANY you have. -Icons and I have a love hate relationship.- The only thing I would suggest with the icons is try using some textures, do some different coloring, and maybe add text once and a while. :)

SQUEE'S : +these. :D

Banners :

You have the concept of banners down VERY well. -My first banner was HORRIBLE.- I'm going to challenge you. :) Try adding 1 or 2 more people to your banners and maybe adding a few more stock images. The coloring on your banners are also pretty good, but I would also experiment more with that as well.

SQUEE'S : +this ( I love the base of the banner! ), +this ( the mustache is AMAZING and made me giggle, also the coloring on it is LOVELY ), and +this ( the comp is PERFECT and the text use is PERFECT!!! ).

Signatures :

Again experiment more with coloring, texture use, and maybe stock ( I say stock last because stock hates me, but everyone has their own style/preference ).

SQUEE'S : +this ( the coloring on this is  :drop: ) and +this ( EVERYTHING about this is perfect).

Chapter Images :

Your comp is pretty good with your chapter images, I would just use more textures, maybe a little more experimenting with coloring.

SQUEE'S : The top left one is the best. The coloring is pretty and the comp is perfect.

Blends : The comp is pretty good and the coloring is pretty!!! The only thing is I would experiment with the text.

The end!!! 

Main thing about becoming a better artist is you just need to experiment as much as possible. Experimenting is a MAJOR factor in growing your style and skill. 

Amanda || Photoshopfreak -Available (PM first)-

Posted Image

Gallery

#6 catharsis

catharsis

• Veteran Artist
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

Thank you for the comment Laura and the critique Amanda! You both mentioned experimenting more and I'll try! I spent all day downloading stock packs, textures and fonts as well as looking in tutorials so hopefully this will help and mean I can do some experimenting soon. Thank you guys!

Posted Image

#7 padfoot.

padfoot.

just part of the architecture

• Junior Artist
  • 256 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

Hi bby <3 Saw your comment on my gallery and was like "hey! I'll go visit hers!" so here I am!

I LOVE your Chapter Images and your "Holding On By A Thread" Banner. <3 They're so pretty and the composition is really nice and the chapter images are all unified but distinctly different (if that makes sense)

Anyways YAY FOR GALLERY VISITS!

-Leslie out-

#8 catharsis

catharsis

• Veteran Artist
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

Hi Leslie! Thank you for visiting my gallery! :D And you're too nice! Possibly the reason you think the chapter images look unified is because they all have Arya in them... :P *shot* Thanks though! Bye! :D

Posted Image

#9 satellite

satellite

real poo for my sham friends sham poo for my real friends

• Master Artist
  • 979 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:12 AM

hi daisy!! I love your gallery :) this+ especially is so cute, and the coloring and filtering are great! keep making more pretties~~~

|| en ||

KjBz6a5O.gif

9IWFOS0.png

gallery || ufg || stock pack 

ty kay 4 my avenger babies || icon by the lovely rohini!!

#10 lost.stars

lost.stars
  • 541 posts
  • Software:Elements

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:59 AM

Hi! I've seen u around a lot, it's great that you're getting around quickly! Both on here at the forums :D

Love the colouring and basically everything on that moustache banner! And the colour in the colour me banner! The Luna banner is super awesome and loving that monochrome on the Molly Weasley banner! How on earth do u do the monochrome! Eep! My favourite are your banners! Also loving the blends!! So so good! Basically, I love everything! :D i would be careful with cutting of shoulders in your sigs, but the colouring and comp is awesome on them!

Great job! Loved everything here! Gah! How on earth are u a beginner?!

<3

thank you to aim&ignite for the perfect set previously ReeBee

maybe AVAILABLE?? (pm first) | HPFF (12+) | underneath this skin (12+) | Tumblr (M)

#11 catharsis

catharsis

• Veteran Artist
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:22 AM

Thank you for the tip about being careful with shoulders, Ree. Blending is so difficult, I'm still learning how to do it properly. And more often than not it fails! :P Thank you for the comment and to Enna too! You guys are lovely to have stopped by!

Posted Image

#12 our sea star

our sea star

hunger of the pine.

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:55 AM

Hey, Daisy! Welcome to TDA. I hope you stick around because you've already got a great start in graphics and I'm looking forward to seeing you improve. :) Your blend is my favourite of what you have in your gallery. It has a very cohesive colour scheme and shows a lot of promise for what we'll see from you in the future. 

You seem to be developing a grasp on text placements, but I'd say you need to work on making them part of your composition rather than an afterthought. To give some examples of what I mean by that, let me say that I love your incorporation of text in this and this particularly. Both are very simple but also utilise text very effectively. Also, I'd love to see you work with bigger brushes when you do soft blending in the future! I prefer using bigger brushes because it makes the halos less pronounced and gives the graphic more depth. (Again, all personal opinion.) Colouring is very hard to master, so just keep in mind that natural-looking tones are always most preferable. It's really important that your subject and textures/stock complement each other, much like text to the graphic as a whole.

When I was newer to graphics--and even now, actually--it helped me a lot to look at other galleries of higher-ranked artists to see how they dealt with compositions and colouring and such. Tutorials lay out the groundwork, but looking at different artists' approaches helps you get inspired. Copying is still a huge no-no, though. :P What I'm suggesting is to figure out the kind of things you like in certain graphics, for example a preference between softer colouring or more vibrant tones, and apply that to your own work. Making graphics involve a lot of trial and error, so don't get frustrated if things don't initially work out in your favour. ^_^

I apologise if these tips sound incredibly vague. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, and enjoy your time in our little community! Everyone's always willing to help around here. <3

Posted Image

val might be available (try pming?) | gallery

#13 catharsis

catharsis

• Veteran Artist
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:26 AM

Thank you for all the great advice, Val. :) I really hope I stick around too! I won't be able to improve unless I practice, practice, practice. And for that I need to stick around. :P

I've made some new chapter images and with them I tried your tip of using a bigger brush to blend. I also tried to make the text look more part of the graphic with the colours of it, but I'm not sure if it really worked.

Great tip about looking at other galleries and stuff. :) I've been doing that so much and taking note of anything I think is done really well. But it's a lot harder than I expected putting that into practice in my own graphics! I think I'm getting the hang of things a bit more than I was when I started making things a few weeks ago, but it's a long and slow process, hahaha.

Thanks very much for the help though! I really appreciate it!

Posted Image

#14 allons-y

allons-y

Geronimo!

• 397 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:02 AM

Comment for a comment!

Hello, you are doing  very well if you have just started, a hell of a lot better than me when I first started out. Though I can say that you need to work on image quality in some of your pieces. Make you to find nice HQ pictures to use because it really does improve the quality of the graphic. Also your text could use some work, sometimes it is hard to read it and it also looks a little blurry in some. But you are doing a really good job and with practice you could be with some of the best!

Good luck <3

Loyal Whovian - Assassin - V I C K Y -  Dovah - Forever Smith

Posted Image  , 

I'll always remember when the Doctor was me

Clara Oswald @tda

#15 just.a.willow.tree

just.a.willow.tree
  • Graduate Artist
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:02 PM

You have such a wonderful grasp on your software, it's amazing. :loves: Your text is so much better than mine ever was at the beginning. :wub: I would just watch your image quality -- use filters like Surface Blur and Sharpen Edges to fix some of that. ^__^

eva gallery
Posted Image
* Leviathan! is the best ;;

#16 catharsis

catharsis

• Veteran Artist
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:36 PM

A few people have mentioned image quality so that's what I'll have to work on next. :) Thanks so much for leaving a comment and for the advice, Eva! <3

Posted Image

#17 somebody

somebody

I wanted a member title so sammich chose this

• 445 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

Hey there :)  You've got some amazing graphics in here! I love the windswept banner and the holding on by a thread one as well, they're really good. The only thing I would say is maybe clear out some of your banners & sigs - some aren't quite as good as the rest and might let your galley down a bit. You're doing really well though!

~Ruth

~ Ruth ~ 

Posted Image

[A Song of Ice and Fire] | [Formerly TheLoneCenturion]

Selena Fisher & Seth Allen

“Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

#18 catharsis

catharsis

• Veteran Artist
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for the post, Ruth! :) I've been meaning to clean out some things that aren't as good, but I never know which ones to do and I don't want to end up taking them all out and making my gallery completely empty, gah! But I will definitely try. Thanks again! <3

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users