Wow, I can't believe you're new to this. I've just started too and am working on my gallery, but may as well just give up now that I've seen yours. Awesome job.
Ahh! Thank you! Don't give up! I worked on my techniques for ages before I posted my gallery. I haven't been at it very long, but I'm always working on my blending, etc. I can't wait to see your gallery! I'm sure it will be amazing.
Your Gallery = . You are so not new to this stuff, I don't believe it! Your graphics are too good!
Your fire-blend thing is just so... supermegafoxyawesomehot! My favourite (besides your fire blend thingy) would be the Hufflepuff chapter image. The colouring of it is just so good and so real, also the text placement. Gah, you're so much better at this than I am!
I can't believe you stopped by!
Believe it or not, I am new to it. Well, new-ish. I've had this up a while now (2 weeks? It seems like forever! D: ) Supermegafoxyawesomehot? Oh my god!
I'm so glad that you like it though. I worked forever on that. It looks pretty simple but it really challenged my understanding of photoshop and I learnt a lot, playing around with the program, haha. Yay! You like my CI!
I made all four of them right before I posted my gallery. I decided it looked too empty, so went and made them (as you do, you know... :S) I'm really glad you like them, as they turned out more experimentation than I planned
Don't be silly! Your stuff is great! THANK YOUUUUU!
Hi, Adele! Here with your crit
1. Composition. You place people onto your graphics perfectly. I'm in awe of the way you can put four people on a banner and three people onto a sig. And they flow well with the background as well.
2. Blending. It's actually amazing how many artists are being held back because of their blending, but yours looks really good. I can't really spot any halos, and your stock also flows together nicely, which seems to be a bigger problem half the time.
3. Image quality. Whatever you're doing to prep your images, it's working. Though you do have some skin tone issues (I'll get to that later), your images are properly sharpened and don't look plastic~y. Image quality is still one of the hardest parts of graphics for me, so it's nice to see HQ images in all of your graphics.
1. Coloring. Your coloring is fantastic on some graphics, like your second banner, but it's not as consistent on other graphics. One of the huge issues here is skin tones. You match skin tones perfectly, but they're unnatural in a lot of cases. Like on your first banner, the people look overly pink and a bit too contrasted. On your sig, Katniss is much too orange. My favorite tool for fixing skin tones is curves. It's easy to reduce certain colors that way. And you can also apply the curves layer to just the person, so it doesn't change the coloring of the rest of the graphic. There might be an easier way to do that in photoshop, but in GIMP, I just erase the coloring layer from everything but the person. My other advice with coloring is just to experiment a lot. On your icons, for example, there's nothing wrong with the coloring but it's not particularly interesting either. Photoshop has some great coloring tools, so just go crazy with them.
2. Text. It is probably the hardest part of graphics. I'm fairly uncertain with critiquing you because I'm not confident in my text either. It's really just about finding what flows in a graphic and a LOT of trial and error. I usually go through at least 5-6 fonts and 9-10 colors before I'm satisfied. I think you have a good idea of text placement, but your font and color choices aren't always the best. On the second banner, the text is too light for the darker coloring. You'd probably be better off picking a dark green from the leaves or even a reddish color from Hermione's scarf. Your text is hard to read at times, so make sure you're picking an accent color. On the first banner, picking a pink from the roses would help to tie the entire banner together. On your last banner, all the fonts make the text look a bit messy. When you're starting out, it's usually best to stick with 2 or maybe 3 fonts per graphic.
In conclusion: You have a great start. I think you need a bit more variety, especially with CIs and sigs, but fix your coloring issue and we'll see you in junior blue in no time! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions
Challenge: Make a CI with only one person and use at least three different coloring tools. There should be only one word of text. If you do the challenge, please PM me with your result! I'd love to see
Is it weird that i'm this excited for crit? Because I saw this and danced around a bit. (I think I have issues...
Thanks so much for the comments! It's always good to know what you're doing well, along with what you're doing that needs improvement.
Yeah, I know what you mean about the colouring. Skin tones are an issue, particularly as they match on my screen, but when I upload them they change slightly. I'll have to figure it out, so they match once they're uploaded too.
Don't even get me started on text.
It's the worst thing ever. Thanks for pointing out those bits on my banners. I tried using the colouring of the flowers for the text but it was too light on the background and illegible. I'll continue to have a play though; you've given me a few ideas.
I'm still working on the text of the last banner. This is about the 4th version, and it's still under revision, but I agree. I'll have a fiddle with it with that in mind. Cheers.
Ahh, thanks so much for taking the time to do this for me. It's really helpful to know where I need to focus my time on improving.
Oh, and that challenge? Expect it in your inbox soon.
I just finished it.