76 replies to this topic

#73 beyond the rain

beyond the rain

bad witch of 'north

• Master Artist
  • 4,127 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:41 AM

Hey charlotte!! So I'm here to give you your requested critique! Honestly I'm in love with so much of your stuff, and technique wise there's really only one or two tiny issues I want to go over. In general though, I'm going to look at text, creativity, and colouring like you asked. I'm going to explain straight off the bat I don't think I need to touch any of your banners because they're all perfect - like I genuinely cannot fault any of them. Also this blend++ is so beautiful, it's really soft and I like the fact that it's a little busy but you've managed to use negative space quite well - there's just a great balance between the two. Anyway, let's get started! 

TEXT

The first thing I noticed about your text is that there's a lot of repetitivity in each piece. You use drop shadows a lot, which in a lot of cases works fine - but there's just a few that I wanted to show you where it hasn't come off as well as the others. First off here++, while the placement is really good - you can't really read the word 'gold'. It's because the actual text is the exact same colour as the background, and the drop shadow is too far behind, i'd have moved it out to the right and down a little more, or made it bigger. It's one of those cases where you can have a really cool idea, and while I 100% approve of creativity, you have to let it go when it doesn't work. Another piece where it doesn't work is here++, where the dark drop shadow is against the really white moon. I always say use opposites, so if it's a light background - use a dark drop shadow, but if it's too sharp or its literally almost opposite in colour - it can be too much and make the text look really heavy. Lastly here++, because you've got a heavy background with animation, and a very scripty fonts, and a very thick drop shadow - the text becomes a bit unreadable. I had to squint to be able to see it. It's all about balance. If you have a lot going on with the base, make the text simple - and vice versa. Another thing I've seen you do a lot is put a white or black block behind a quote. For example one, two, three, four - and while there's nothing wrong with this, I'm seeing it a lot in your gallery which means you've fallen into a habit of doing it automatically. I'd suggest taking one or two of the older pieces that have that, out of your gallery - and steering away from it in the future. If it's because the base is too light or dark, you can always get a light or dark fluffy brush (or a white/black to transparent radial gradient layer) at a low opacity and put it over the area where you want to the put the quote. The very last thing about text, is me being really nitpicky but I'd watch out for using white drop shadows or any white at all in your text. It can be quite blinding, and only really works when the text is the focal point so in this++ I really like it - but otherwise I'd do it sparingly. 

COLOURING 

My only real concern with your colouring, is that some of your mono/bw can look a little flat. In this banner++ and this signature++ there's a lot of depth in the colouring and it really brings the graphics to life. But in this++ for example all the images look a little flat like they weren't prepped enough. Similarly here++ and here++ all the mono images look a little featureless (as u can see i googled flat synonyms bc i felt like i was saying it too much). Like they don't look defined enough. I think they're lacking contrast, which you can do throughout the graphic making process - rather than just once. You could also look at filtering them, or using unsharp mask. When I image prep I set a white to black radial gradient on overlay on top of the person, so the lighting is immediately there. Otherwise, besides that, as far as I can see there's no issues with your colouring! 

CREATIVITY 

From what I can see, it sees you're very set in your ways. It's a staff artist habit, but it's one we all need to break! In your signatures especially, the composition is all the same. A person at the back, some textures in front, animation in the centre, and then some more people in front. here at the examples of where you do that (with and without animation): x x x x x x . Composition is part of our style, like there's reasons we see a graphic and go, oh charlotte made that! But eventually it's what makes a graphic boring, and it makes the process boring. Trying new things should be a part of the process, I mean some of your best stuff is where you've tried something different with text, colouring or the images you've used. Some tips to get away from that is constantly looking at new shoots, finding new stocks/textures/fonts to play around with, and one of the easiest things is just looking at your gallery - or asking someone else to [cue bex :sean: ]. Eventually you'll start to notice a pattern in what you do, so if you keep that in mind when you make things, you will end up making something differently. Or challenge yourself. Try negative space, and using only one person - or try making a busier graphic but using the same texture in different ways etc etc. Once you get to staff it's all about finding new ways to make things that little bit more difficult for yourself - and pushing yourself out of your comfort zone! 

CLEANOUT 

This is totally optional, but I have one or two [well actually three] recommendations of what to take out of your gallery. I know you have some things in here from your grad days, and personally I'd take them out too and challenge yourself to revamp! 

x - for reasons prev. mentioned, and the stars on top of the star animation make it too cluttered 

x -  for reasons prev. mentioned, the text is too heavy, the mono on the smallest guy doesn't work 

x - for reasons prev. mentioned 

-- 

& that's it! If you have any questions, if you need clarification on anything i've said or if you feel i've been to harsh, PM me and I'll reply as soon as I can! I hope that this can be of some use to you! 

Bex :)

// bex  // lovely sig by saturn. // MY TUMBLR (M)
image.png

~now, sashay away ♥ ~  

#74 a little life.

a little life.

futura free

• Master Artist
  • 902 posts
  • Software:Photoshop
  • Vault Points:561

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:54 PM

bex: wow, that was so quick and really helpful bex! you pointed out so many things i never noticed or paid attention to, like the repetitive comp and the b&w graphics thank you so much! i'm going to start working on editing the graphics you listed and working on the areas you've mentioned ^____^ thanks again!

and to everyone else: thank you so much for the comments in my gallery! this reply is so late, but really, it makes me so happy to know that y'all took the time to pop into my gallery to leave such sweet messages. <33

Gx6pFl2.png

prev. tamago pm first | C H A R L O T T E | gallery deviantart

#75 seraphine.

seraphine.

i shot the albatross

• Master Artist
  • 649 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:09 PM

hi charlotte!! you left such a lovely comment in my gallery
that i remembered i've been meaning to comment in yours forever
because wow everything here is so amazing and gorgeous <33
you have such a unique, creative style; i love the way you use textures

and your perfect vibrant coloring! the comp in all your graphics is stunning 
also the way you use animation +here & +here is so wonderful  :loves: 

my favorite graphic of yours might be +this (is that an iliad quote i spot?? :P)

but honestly everything here is awe-inspiring  :worship: 

teach me your skills pls? <3

ramya; unavailable

QcoQoaC.png

gallery / q&a / tumblr

#76 klutzy_kara

klutzy_kara

Zayn's #1 Bae

• Master Artist
  • 5,525 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:56 PM

I took so long to get here I am so sorry Charlotte !!

It's so hard to critique you because your technique is flawless. Everything is great. You have great blending, coloring, text, etc. It all comes down to personal preference. I don't thing unique composition is an overall weakness of yours, because you have come up with a lot of unique pieces over the year that I've been back at TDA. It's something I think you excel at, actually. Your pieces are always very distinctive from other people. But I would be careful because it does seem that you have become a bit too entrenched with using black backgrounds for negative space. I think it works really well in pieces +this, +this, and +this because you have the people, textures, and text placed in a way that it seems balanced and put together. But, in my opinion, +this sig looks a bit unfinished, as there isn't as much going on here. It's definitely still a cool pieces, I just don't think it's as cool as the rest of your pieces here (same with the magnus and Alec banners, those just seem to stand out too much from the black background and lack the texture transition you have in the other pieces I really like). I think prior to this, some of your pieces were a bit too ovecrowded, but it's important not to get too bare either. I think you just need to stay in your happy medium of not too crowded, not too bare, like those pieces I linked. Your ability to use lots of characters and textures is part of what makes your style so distinctive and unique, so don't feel like you can't have backgrounds or you'll have too much going on. You did a great job in +this blend. The way you've placed the different Emmy's is so dope. They look great with the texture and give you a lot of interesting things to look at, and the monochrome background here really helps keep it from getting too busy but also fills the space in a way that flows nicely. Your bottom three blends are great about that. Backgrounds that add but do not detract from your central focus with the colored characters, textures, and text. The first three are not as strong, in my opinion. They're definitely cool pieces on their own, I just don't think they are necessarily as strong as your other ones. 

Your chapter images are flawless, btw. No complaints. And your coloring in all of your pieces is so so beautiful!!! Awesome colorizations and icons too. I really can't critique these at all. Your icons are especially interesting. I'm always so impressed by people who can make interesting compositions in such small canvases, as I always take the lazy route with icons lmao. +This is probably one of my favorite pieces, of anyone's, ever. It is so amazing. I can't stop staring at it. My least faves would probably be 1 (the image quality doesn't look as high here, composition just isn't as interesting and creative as other banners), 2 (it's v similar to Magnus' so I don't think you need both and I prefer the Alec but that's just me!), 3, 4 (the text isn't as strong, comp isn't as involved/interesting as the others). 

Overall, I think you are an amazing artist. I have always been a big fan of yours and am eternally jealous of all the cool things you do. You have shown time and time again that you are very good at incorporating a lot of things into a graphic without detracting from the focal point, so don't worry too much and fall back on negative space all the time as a safety net, as I think that stops you from reaching your full potential. You are a master of text and textures, using them in ways I myself can only dream of doing. So just keep pushing yourself to try new things and to keep innovating, as you do, and I am sure you will come out with even more amazing pieces (although I do love everything you make tbh) !! 

i'm kara and i'm klutzy, obviously

2mxdCuL.png
gallery |  available for requests | artist q&a

#77 a little life.

a little life.

futura free

• Master Artist
  • 902 posts
  • Vault Points:561

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:33 AM

ramya: this is super late but thank you so much for the sweet comment, ramya! your comment means so much because im a big fan of your graphics! :wub:

kara: thank you so much for that crit! ive updated since your crit with a bunch of new graphics using your advice and hopefully, the improvement shows! <3

Edited by a little life., 12 November 2017 - 01:33 AM.

Gx6pFl2.png

prev. tamago pm first | C H A R L O T T E | gallery deviantart

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users