Photo

I can't live with or without youOctober 24, 2017

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#37 Guest_Icarus._*

Guest_Icarus._*

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:56 PM

Hi Olivia! Gosh, your banners are amazing! You've got such great comp, and you're amazing with stock too. :D This is so pretty and I love the monochrome on this. Your Sam Claflin icons are asldfjad;la. Such beautiful icons of a beautiful man. :P Make more graphics! I'd love to see more ^_^

#38 daredevil

daredevil

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡ )

• Veteran Artist
  • 3,405 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:43 PM

hiiii olivia! haven't been here for a while so I thought I'd drop by and spread some love for the squee fest challenge :D 

you've improved so much since the last time I was here! I can tell you're working on your hardcutting, and your text use is getting better too :D keep up the amazing work!! 

tumblr_nitcwgTQcg1tj2lj8o1_400.gif

^me when I see ur graphics :3

love, vee

(ノ◕‿◕)ノ*:・゚✧

vee & gallery & pm for requests

★ texture pack texture pack v.2 digital painting tutorial & prev: legolas.

KUcZ0cz.png

#39 wildest dreams.

wildest dreams.

that james dean meme dream

• Requesting Arena Moderator
  • 4,024 posts
  • Software:Photoshop
  • Vault Points:293

Posted 25 December 2015 - 09:58 AM

Hi Olivia! 

Oh my god I am so excited for how much you've improved lately, and I love how much you've been experimenting with colouring. Honestly, I know how hard stock is to use so I definitely applaud you for how nicely you use it and how good your blending is getting. I adore your CI and that header, I think they're both so sweet and pretty and I definitelyyy can't wait to see more from you, as always, I love watching you improve and I am sure that you'll keep making pretty things for us all to admire!  :loves: 

- Hannah

#40 aurora borealis

aurora borealis

i have no idea what to put here

• Member Artist
  • 1,797 posts
  • Vault Points:127

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:33 PM

Welp I am the worst at responding to these.

Fitz: Since I'm only replying to this now *facepalm* I've done a lot of experimenting since July, and I think I've figured out what works and what doesn't. And yep, I'm 16!

Bex: Thank you so much for all these tips! I've started to brave black and white - still prefer colour, though :P

Theia: Thank you so much! I don't plan on stopping any time soon.

Dayna: Thank you for the compliments! I was really proud of that banner and that CI (what seems like eons ago now because I'm terrible :P) and I'm glad you like them!

Vashti: Hi Vashti! I don't know - I find stock so much easier to use than textures. I'm scared of textures. Seriously, I run and hide from them, to borrow your words. Thank you for your kind words!

Kristina: This was so helpful, thank you so much! I've been trying to experiment with text but there are so many it's difficult. I'll definitely be using your tips for text (and composition) in the future!

Curie: Hi Curie! Yeah, I think we've met on HPFF before? I'm not too sure though. Thank you for the tips! This wasn't negative at all; it was very helpful!

Vashti: Aah thank you so much! I added the banner - I'm really proud of it (it took me so long to make I'd better like it). And Sam Claflin is definitely a beautiful human being - I like using him for that reason!

Wren: Thank you so much for the compliments! I love Sam Claflin - it's why I like using him in my graphics! :creepy:

Vee: And this is me when I see you! 

MontyPython_Teasing2_zpsylynsdxu.gif

Thank you so much for stopping by!

Hannah: Thank you so much for your compliments :wub: I'll definitely keep making more graphics. As should you, your graphics are absolutely amazing! ;) 

Edited by Minerva, 27 December 2015 - 11:33 PM.

1unXoGne_o.png

Olivia | Ao3 | Gallery | Was BellaLestrange87 and Minerva

#41 ClearPlastic

ClearPlastic

tralalala

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:15 PM

Hey Olivia, here for your stupidly late critique! So sorry again for not keeping to the 48 hours - but I'll make sure this is a good one.

So you mentioned text being one of your weak points and I think that's true to an extent. Placements and everything are generally quite good but a big problem with your text is the quality of it. Your image quality itself is not bad, but your text looks quite pixellated and scratchy in some places. Like in your Come Back chapter image and your This Boy banner, it just looks too sharp and jagged around the edges. I'm not sure if it's just the font choice (quality of text in The Sound of Music seems fine) but I'd say definitely work on that first. Otherwise, I think your text is coming along well. I absolutely love the font choice and placement of the text in the Sound of Music banner - it works so well and blends into the base beautifully. Placement on the wooden board is an excellent and creative choice as well. On your blend, I think the text is a bit too low opacity (and maybe just too much small text?) and a bit hard to make out. I would suggest working on being more creative with text as well? With the Sound of Music banner I think you went out of the box and really hit it out of the park, so I'd love to see you try something different with your font choices and stuff! Also, I'm not sure how Elements works, but also maybe try experimenting with different text styles? Like a color gradient or stroke could be something different and interesting to introduce to your graphics :)

In terms of your coloring, I think some of your graphics come across as too dark or muddy in places. I like what you did with the Celestial Navigation banner by trying to incorporate light and dark spots and creating more depth, but the dark bits covering the main guy's face just obscure his features a bit too much. Same with the So Cruel banner, the darkness on the left and the lightness on the right comes off as a bit unbalanced and I think the guys face is just too much in the shadow. Coloring is something you should also definitely play around with. 

I think your composition is your strongest point. You've already got a really good grasp of blending and making a smooth base, I love the bases in your Sound of Music and This Boy banner, they're very natural looking and flow beautifully. Your graphics also have very interesting comp, your banners especially. Sound of Music banner is definitely my favorite thing in your gallery, just so gorgeous! I'd say your Eddie Redmayne sig is the weakest thing in your gallery - it looks a bit older than the rest of your stuff and the comp/base just isn't as interesting as the rest. 

All in all I'd say you're definitely on your way and already have strong skills, but text is holding you back and maybe some coloring issues as well. Also try doing something totally different and seeing if it works! Stock seems like your strength but maybe try something with textures?

I hope I helped :) let me know if you have any questions! :hug:

hi, i'm eggie and i'm semi-available, please pm for requests!

Posted Image

| my gallery | i'm offering critique |

#42 skittery

skittery

⋌༼ ̀ ⌂ ́ ༽⋋

• Master Artist
  • 2,396 posts
  • Vault Points:515

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:36 PM

Hey Olivia! :D

I just thought I'd drop by your gallery and have a look. ^_^

The first thing I noticed was that your graphics are all very soft and you use stock well. I like the colours in your graphics, too. They're very bright and dynamic. This has beautiful colouring and I love the stock use. This is probably my favourite because the colouring is so soft and pretty.

One piece of advice I'd give you is to make sure you're varying the placement and composition of your banners. The people are all in very similar positions in all of them so maybe try something a bit different for the sake of variety.

Great job so far! Keep up the good work! :D

Anna

anna.
Posted Image Posted Image
[icons by beyond the rain]

#43 theodosia

theodosia
  • Senior Artist
  • 225 posts
  • Vault Points:47

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:58 AM

hello there!! i'm niki, and i'm actually surprised i haven't commented yet, considering how many times i've been by your gallery :D

you're so much further along than i was as a member artist (and i really didn't get a couple major skills down until junior, yikes)

just a few tips and tricks that i have learned through my four years graphic-ing !!

be careful with textures over faces, like you did in the image +here. the guy on the left has a texture over his face and it's a bit distracting.

also be careful with text! with your serif fonts (georgia, times new roman, etc.), you tend to make those a bit big and sharp. try decreasing the size, working with the transform tool to change the angle of the text, and (if elements has the tool), changing the font +anti-aliasing method (click) to smooth. that's how i fixed my sharp text-ness in photoshop. once again, i haven't worked with elements in years, so i'm not sure if it has that tool, but it likely does!

your stock use is SUPERB (and your comp, oh my :cry: ), as well as your texture use. i envy you so much. pls donate skill.

but but but, if elements has adjustment layers, try using the brightness/contrast layer to up your contrast. that really brings out the nice colours in your edits

and last but not least - tutorial centre! there are so many great resources  available here on tda (i often stalk to find tips from the pros, especially on comp and colouring  :hide: ). i'd recommend any on contrast/colouring and image placement (in terms of your people). you tend to use the same positions and locations for people in all of your banners. different layouts and comp can go a long way in diversifying your gallery!!

sorry for the ramble mess of whatever that was, but i'll be back once you update with new pretties  :sean: 

love, niki :)

Edited by holdtheblind., 10 June 2016 - 05:00 AM.

niki!

semi-available (pm first) | photoshop cs6

ROAgPX6.png

(hello my old heart) // (stock pack)

#44 magnifique.

magnifique.

mrs. daisy ridley

• 1,314 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:18 AM

Hey Olivia!  :dumbles: 

I'm Julie! And I really love how you're always mixing up your composition. I always find myself falling into ruts composition wise because I find something that works and then that's all I do (whoops!).

But you keep playing and experimenting and obviously having fun and that's what's really important! I think my favorite thing is this+ because I think the main text works  really well placement-wise next to Hiddles and the coloring/stock use are both really really cool! Stock is really hard to make look nice & cohesive but you definitely made it work in this banner and that's so awesome - I wish mine looked that good!

I'll definitely be keeping my eye on you! Have a lovely day  :glomp: 

-Julie

HI I'M BACK

julie. 22. lit student. they/them & she/hers.

AvMti7Q.png

hpff | pw - Delanie McLoughlin

#45 Stille Nacht

Stille Nacht

Off Topic Mod

• Member Artist
  • 684 posts
  • Vault Points:197

Posted 26 June 2016 - 06:12 PM

Olivia, these are so beautiful! I love how well you blend and contrast!!! It makes the images look light, airy, and flow-y.   :happy:

Edited by Stille Nacht, 26 June 2016 - 06:13 PM.

Posted Image

|| Available - PM First || Gallery || Jenn || Photography ||

*Amazing Signature by: milominderbinder*

#46 nancy drew.

nancy drew.

it's locked.

• Graduate Artist
  • 943 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:36 AM

Hey, Olivia! I'm Rachel. :) I'm trying to make the rounds of all my fellow member artists, to try and get to know a few more people here!

I am pretty jealous of your stock use and coloring skills, to be honest -- especially in +this banner! I'm awful at using stock, and I'm really impressed with how you blended the images of the flower and the bridge together virtually seamlessly. I love the coloring and font on +this banner, too. I think it really fits the mood of the graphic well. And the comp on your header is impressive, too, so overall, just really well done! And even more props to you for wrestling with GIMP, because it can be a real bear. :P

Hope to see you around more! :loves:

r  a  c  h  e  l

Posted Image

girl sleuth.  || beautiful set from beautiful bex!

#47 gryffiefan

gryffiefan

the future Mrs Blake

• Member Artist
  • 271 posts
  • Vault Points:159

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:37 PM

Hiii Rachel! ^_^

I've already taken a look at your gallery but I never seem to find the time to drop a comment and well here I am now! :D

First, I'd like to say that your use of stock is amazing, like really, especially in this one +here: it's all flowy (is that even a word? lol) and I can't do that! Stock is a nightmare for me. And your use of colours is really good! You have a really good comp and a very unique style.

+This CI is gorgeous, like I couldn't stop looking at it!

I really want to see more of your graphics <3

~ Cee

Call me Cee | unavailable

p5mSfKg.png

bex made me these lovelies! + don't fear the unexpected +   

#48 TreacleTart

TreacleTart

Queen of The Squee Thread

• Senior Artist
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:46 PM

Hey Olivia! 

I just realized that I've never stopped by your gallery before and I'm here to fix that. 

The first thing that really stood out to me was that gorgeous blend at the end of your gallery. Everything is so smooth and goes just perfectly together. Good Job! 

I also really enjoyed your If You Ever Come Back CI. The colors on it were lovely and your cuts look very good too. In fact, in general I think your hard cutting looks very clean and sharp. I don't see a lot of halos or residual photo image. 

If I were to offer you a small bit of concrit, it would be to a. Keep working on the text. You've got the placement and colors down well, but I think you could find better fonts in some cases. (I really struggle with this myself). b. Be careful about how much you darken an image. Like this one here is such a lovely banner, but almost the whole left side of it is really hard for me to make out, including the guys face. I think brightening it up just a shade or two would help. 

All in all, I love your work and am jealous of how well you're already using stock. Teach me your ways. :) Anyway, keep up the good work and I'll check back in soon!

:hug:

Kaitlin

Kaitlin - My Gallery / Available

Posted Image

Gorgeous signature set by the incomparable Enigma

#49 naboo.

naboo.

star wars trash

• Junior Artist
  • 368 posts
  • Software:Elements

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:32 PM

Hi!! I'm trying to make my way through all the MA galleries to get to know all the other people in my rank, and you're first on my list!  :glomp:

You have a lot of really lovely stuff here! Your hardcuts and blending are great (I'm kind of jealous, tbh), and you've got a really strong grasp on composition as well! I think my favourite piece in your gallery is the Jacob Artist banner! Everything in that graphic seems to come together perfectly, and I'd definitely call it your strongest piece! I think the weakest piece here is the Zooey Deschanel banner, if only for the colouring/lighting -- it's a little too dark and I find it really hard to see the male on the right side. Other than that, the banner has a great comp, so I'm sure it could be easily edited!! 

I think you need to work on text the most (I can't really talk because text is my biggest enemy too  :ermm: ). Use strokes and dropshadows on your text to help readability! Other than that, I think you have a very good grasp on everything else and I can't wait to see more of what you can do! ^_^ 

K  e  n  n  e  d  y

accio_sig.png

HPFF | gallery  | sig by the lovely accio! | previously moonbaby11

ruth reitman on pw  

#50 katharos

katharos

u

• Master Artist
  • 2,068 posts
  • Vault Points:267

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:25 PM

hi olivia!! i'm so upset that i haven't been here before i'm sorry :c first of all i really like your bases! they're all blended super well and i love how you use mostly outdoor stock as well ^_^ 

my favorites are your 'sound of music' banner and the 'you make my heart beat faster' signature! the blending and coloring on those are honestly soooo pretty!! those really show off 

your strengths!

i think the areas where you can improve are with making that blending skill consistent! because from those i can see you are super good at hardcutting! but in both 

of your chapter images the main characters have some bits missing or its fuzzy around the edges. a tip for text is to always have it in mind when making a graphic! especially when

blending your base, think about where you want to have some darker/lighter stock so you know your text will stand out and look cohesive at the same time ^_^

you're really doing so great!! i can't wait to see what else you come up with :) -mali

Uf8yhuc.png

difficulte // set by azimuth ♥

#51 floralprint

floralprint

resident studio ghibli enthusiast

• Master Artist
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 03:37 PM

hey, olivia! i can't believe i haven't posted in here yet! you've got a great soft style emerging here, my favorites are your banners, especially +this one.
your bases are really impressive. when i was a MA i could not make a decent base to save my life and your stock use is just beautiful!!
you should try experimenting with some icons, even though i know those little things can be evil ;)
keep up the great work, i'm looking forward to seeing more cool stuff from you :dumbles: :loves:
-ashley xo

| ash | available for requests |
O6nOFwN.png
| gallery | up for grabs |

#52 hamylton.

hamylton.

TDA's Accountant

• Vault Moderator
  • 580 posts
  • Vault Points:1044

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:06 PM

Hi Olivia!

I was so surprised when I first opened your gallery because a lot of your colouring is so bright and fun! I remember back when I was an MA (the first time around, not the second), I had no clue how to colour and could never have achieved anything even close to what you have so amazing job on that! I particularly love the way you coloured +this banner and +this blend. I think I may just have a thing for bright colours :P but they just really make me happy to look at. The banner in particular has to be my favourite in your gallery. You stock choice, model choice and colouring all come together nicely and follow one tone (a happy one) for the banner and work really well together! 

You comp in general is so good! The images you choose all work well together and make a nice flow for the graphic. I've always struggled with stock so I commend you for being able to do that! (I may also be a little jealous). Your model choices work well with the stock and your hardcutting is pretty good! There are a few places (like on +here and +here) where the shoulders could be a little smoother but hardcutting is a nightmare in general and can be really difficult even with a lot of practice! 

You also seem to have a good grasp on text which I'm a little jealous of too (I hate it with a passion). The colours you choose for it go well with the colouring and tone of the graphic and your placement is generally pretty good! Sometimes it does seem to come out a little pixelated which doesn't always look too great but that's probably an easy fix!

Overall, I really love your gallery and I may or may not still be staring at the blend colouring in awe!

Amy

CrMuMYvo.gif
amy. +watching it burn previously caomoyl

pvGtm5.png
| FFABHPFT |

#53 Asphodelic

Asphodelic

Avi_Stole_My_Heart

• Senior Artist
  • 4,628 posts
  • Vault Points:185

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:47 PM

Hey Olivia!

You're my first stop in checking out all the galleries! So let me see what you have here. :sean:

I really like your, "Sound of Music" banner. Amazing coloring and usage of stock.

Your coloring is awesome in general as I can see in all your graphics. :D

Here are things you need to work on though, :yes:

1.) The hard-cutting

- Your "blush" banner, "So cruel," your "come back" CI, your "Sunlight" signature, and your LL header, you have pretty good hard-cuts of the people. 

However with the rest of them, not so much. :(

With your second banner, the smaller guy's head looks awkward and seems to be pieces of his head and a piece of his ear (on the left) missing.

For your first CI, the cutting around the shoulder looks rigged... The same can be said for the other graphics that I didn't mention that did have good hard-cutting. Certain parts of the characters body looks raggedy... 

I'm not sure what you exactly use to erase. I don't know how Elements work either but if you have something similar to lasso tool (which I didn't like at first, but it is actually better to work with,) it'd be best to zoom in closely and trace or select parts of the background where you zoom and cut it out. That way you'll have a better view of where and how you're cutting out the background from the person. :) Plus, it'll give the cutting a definite neater look. ;) Mostly focus around the immediate area of the parts of where you are cutting. Once you get around the whole figure, you can erase the rest of the background with a hard-brush with an eraser tool. If Elements have that - that is.

2.) Lighting

- With the lighting, I see white fogginess of your graphics. For example your second CI. It takes away the quality of the graphics because it's too much. It makes them look flat as well. Because I don't know how Element works, I can't tell specifically how to fix that. On the other hand, if it has such thing called layer modes or something similar, try looking up a tutorial on it.

I suggest though is to have two layers of the same lighting. One of them, you'd lower the opacity (to about 20-30%) and the other, full opacity... you'd change the layer mode... to... whatever that'd make it blend into the graphic, but also brighten the graphic greatly. ^_^

3.) Text

- The issue I see mainly with your text is the pixelation. Aside from your first two banners and your last blend, each one of them has pixelated text. It can help by duplicating the text layers and blur the duplicates so that it should soften the text. The text should look mostly like how your blend does.

~ Other....

Your third signature seems to be the only one you've experimented with in terms of adding more than just 1-2 people. That's good! :dumbles: Of course, keep on trying! You'll definitely get better once you've got a feel for it. :angel: You're doing well in other areas though. Blending stock. Though you should still experiment with that because I see you're being reserved in that area. Good coloring. Aside from what I said about your text, you're good with placement and size and maybe in font of choice. It's just the pixelation that throws it off. :halo:

I'm available if you ever want any help with your graphics. :pirate: 
Continue doing good work my friend! :loves:

|| Alishya || +Gallery || TDA's Resident of Eppes Brothers Fanatic || Available (Please PM beforehand) ||

oIPQce.png

#54 TreacleTart

TreacleTart

Queen of The Squee Thread

• Senior Artist
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:21 PM

lroN20a.gif

Hey Olivia!

I just wanted to drop by and leave your gallery a bit of holiday love!

I’ve been super impressed with your work over the last couple of months. You’ve been doing such a good job of experimenting with new comp, lighting and stock. It really shows in some of your more recent pieces.

And can we just talk about your wanderlust blend for a minute?! I love it so much. The way you used the different geometric shapes on it is brilliant and the background for it is so pretty. It sort of reminds me of a gemstone being sliced open and seeing all the swirls of color inside. The text also really suits the image. Great job there!

All in all, you’re doing great! Keep chipping away at it and I’ll be back soon to check out more of your gorgeous stuff!

Wishing you happy holidays and a fantastic New Year!  :hug:

~Kaitlin

Kaitlin - My Gallery / Available

Posted Image

Gorgeous signature set by the incomparable Enigma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users