#19 choobacca

choobacca

:wookie noises:

• Featured Artist
  • 3,144 posts
  • Software:Photoshop
  • Vault Points:1,664

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:22 PM

Vashti! Your banners are amazing!!! this+ is gorgeous; Bex should be so proud  :wub: and these+ ?? i die. phenomenal. and those Chicago icons  :loves:

you are improving sooooo much! :D it's awesome! i can't wait to keep checking back.

xx Alison

Posted Image

a l i s o n is unavailable . gallery  . formerly and peggy

#20 ferlybadinage

ferlybadinage

Hello, I love you won't you tell me your name?

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:36 PM

Oh my gosh, thank you so much! You've put a huge smile on my face :) I really feel like I'm getting there! I was so proud of the bow down one for Bex! I wish I could make all my banners as good as that! (I genuinely have no idea how to graphic. I just wing it and hope for the best ;))

Thank you thank you thank you!
This means so much as you're so skilled and probably one of the greatest MAs the world (well TDA) has ever seen!

You do realise that for the foreseeable future, we will just be forever posting in one another's galleries and squeezing *blooming auto correct! We will not be squeezing each other. Squeeing. I meant squeeing!* each other? I feel like we have some sort of weird sisterhood haha! Xx

Edited by ferlybadinage, 26 November 2015 - 07:06 PM.

emma gallery ♥ unavailable

Posted Image

b e x c e l l e n t set by beyond the rain

#21 zorya.

zorya.

waiting for the apocalypse tbh

• Veteran Artist
  • 683 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:50 AM

Hey! It's Esmee with your critique - I'll be going over three main areas that I think you could improve on and picking out graphics that I think work really well and ones that could use some work and why.

Composition

Okay, so in general, you're composition is really good, which is great because this is the grounding of a good graphic. You have a good eye for what looks good but what I would say is that the comp of your banners is a lot stronger than the rest of your graphics. These banners: 1 2 3 are gorgeous - the comp works incredibly well, and I really love the first and third one especially because of the creativity of the composition. What I want you to do now is bring that creativity to the rest of your graphics, whilst the comp of the rest of your banners is fine, and it works, I've noticed that you tend to stick to the same placements a lot - one or two people in the middle and the text to one side of them. Try mixing it up a little as at the moment, it's easy to lose focus when looking through your gallery because of the repetition. With these banners here+ I think the idea is cool, but the blending of her hair makes it look slightly messy - there's space where you've blending that could be filled up with stock or something to make the overall banners more interesting to look at.

Your composition on the rest of your graphics could use  a little more work though. I really lovelovelove these signatures 1 2 - your use of negative space works so well, and you've created some really interesting, eye-catching graphics with them. The text placement on the first is super cool and adds to the overall effect but on the second I find it a little difficult to read, and tacked on almost as an afterthought. Had the text been a more central part of the signature, it would have added something more to the comp rather than take away from what is otherwise a really cool graphic. The same goes for these two sigs 1 2. Great ideas and I love the placement of the lion on the second one but the text and lack of balance in the sig lets it down. (I really love symmetry, so this might be personal preference more than anything but I would say you could improve the lion sig with something else happening on the left of the graphic - more textures, more stock - an added lion lying at the bottom of the sig could have created a more interesting piece overall). With this sig+ the placement of the two people clashes for my attention. You see how they're both on the same eyeline? In general, it's good to place people at different heights as otherwise you can lose your focal point. The man could have been brought lower down on the graphic and closer to girl so then you would have had more space to make the main text look like an integral part of the graphic like you've done with your CIs which have got really good composition and good text placement.

Colouring

Whilst I really like your colouring on some of your pieces (this+ in particular is gorgeous - actually everything about this is lovely) you have a tendency to create quite heavy and dark colouring on your graphics. This is fine and it works well in these graphics 1 2 in some of your other graphics it takes away from the overall quality and feel. Take this blend+ for example - it's a relatively simple blend but the colouring detracts from the overall effect rather than adds to it - there is some miscolouring (I think you were trying to use the yellow to blend her in with the rest of the graphic?) of the black and white girl which makes her look out of place as there is no yellow in the rest of the blend. The larger girl is over-saturated too which I think comes from trying to create that darker colouring overall. In general, try to avoid over-saturation of people because the orange/red skin colour it creates looks unnatural. In this sig+ the muted green/blue colouring is interesting, but again, it makes the skin colour look very unnatural, especially on the girl, and washes the graphic out and makes it look very two dimensional rather than adding depth. I want you to try to create a couple of lighter pieces that you can add to your gallery as it would add more variety to your gallery and also help you move away from using dark colouring and backgrounds as a way of blending stock/textures together.

Filtering

I think that you could do with sharpening some of your graphics a little more - nothing is over-sharpened which is great because that really detracts from image quality, but at the same time I feel that you lose clarity in your graphics slightly because of lack of sharpening. Once you've finished a graphic, what I do is create a new layer and apply the image to that so that everything is on one layer, add a sharpen filter and then reduce that to around 50-60%. This helps add clarity to your graphics but prevent over-sharpening. With these CIs 1 2 I'm fairly sure that you were going for the drawing effect but it's slightly overdone? They're fairly LQ because of the heavy filtering and I think that they let your gallery down slightly because of the simplicity paired with the LQ of them.

Basically, you have some really interesting/creative graphics in your gallery and all the basics are pretty much down, now you just need to work on pushing yourself out of your comfort zones in terms of composition and colouring and work on finding a nice balance between under and over filtering. 

I really hope this helped and it wasn't too harsh and of course, if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message!

Esmee&gallery&tuuumblrrr&Available

Posted Image

Stunning sig by Vanya (Azimuth)

Previously Otachi

#22 ferlybadinage

ferlybadinage

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:19 PM

Thank you so much, that's actually seriously helpful and exactly what I need! I think part of my saturation issue is down to my laptop (recently I've been checking images on my tablet and they all seem really over saturated but they look lovely on my laptop, which makes me sad!) and I'm really glad my banner quality has improved in the last week (I haven't really made anything else in the last week, just those banners!)

I completely agree with everything your saying and I know those are points I need to work on, I guess I just needed the push to do so :) I was thinking the other day that my signatures are boring. And I've been focusing a lot on text in my banners as I felt like that was my weakest point (my newer banners are all at the top & the same with each section)

I struggle with making things look good when light, so that's really something I need to work on :( and thank you for the sharpening tip! I always wonder how to sharpen a bit (as opposed to over sharpening) so that's really helpful!

Thank you so much. I have more time to work on things again now so that's what I will do :)

X

Posted Image

#23 Photoshopfreak

Photoshopfreak

A girl has no name.

• Master Artist
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:31 PM

Hello Vashti!!

How are you?! I hope you are well!

ON TO THE CRIT!!!

Ze icons :

Your cuts are very very very good! AND this set of icons are LOVE ( plus I may or may not have a thing for Reign... BEST SHOW EVER ).

My only critique for this section would be to play with the coloring a little bit. 

Ze signatures :

Your comp is pretty good on all of them. I would only suggest to play around with the focal placement a little more ( I seriously look at my gallery to see where my focal's are and try to pick a different spot that I haven't done before, or at least I try to most of the time ).

I also really love the coloring on them as well.

Another thing to play around with is text. When I first started text was seriously my enemy..... we were having a hate/hate relationship. Lol.

this by far is my favorite out of your signatures!!!!

Ze banners :

For the most part it seems your focal is always pretty much in the center of the banner, try branching out and having the focal point be to either the left or right side!

Your coloring is really on point on  most of the banners!

THIS IS SO PRETTY IT IS CRAZY!!! I love love love love love that most of it is black and white with some color... ugh. Too gosh durn perfect.

Ze Chapter Images :

MAKE MORE ESPECIALLY BECAUSE THE ONE YOU HAVE IS SO PERFECT!!!

Love love love the "cartoon" and the "drawing" effect of it!

Ze Blends :

AGAIN MAKE MORE.

However, I would replace the first one when you get the chance. The coloring and comp are cool, but it is by far not up to par to your second one.

Speaking of your second one.... HOLY FREAKING COW I MEAN COME ON.

The COLORING! I am in looooooove!

Now I am most certainly not an expert at drawing, but the drawing you posted IS SO FREAKING COOL!!!

This concludes the crit!

On a last note, the most IMPORTANT thing about graphic making is EXPERIMENT. Step outside of your comfort zone and go crazy! Try different methods! Tutorials are your best friend!

Amanda || Photoshopfreak -Available (PM first)-

Posted Image

Gallery

#24 ferlybadinage

ferlybadinage

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 06:49 AM

Hi Amanda! :waves:

Thank you so much for your crit :D You are so lovely and sweet and also very helpful! 

Reign is awesome and I'm definitely not obsessed, no, no, definitely not... ahem

Thank you so much for your advice. You're so right, and I definitely need to pop my happy little bubble of comfort and break free but it's so big and scary outside my happy little bubble :hides: I think I'm definitely getting there!

Yay that you like that signature, the dog is actually the father of two of my dogs, he's so beautiful and he loves to pose for photos for me (and never blurs like all the other dogs I know!) So I thought it would be prudent to use him in a graphic xD 

I definitely need to make new sigs though. These aren't very new, and everytime I try to make one, I feel quite lost. So much happier just making ALLL THE BANNERS!!!! :3

The banner you squeed is my entry for the Bow Down challenge - I tried to bow down to Bex, but added a bit of [sparkles]*me*[/dazzles] into the mix, and people have been very nice about it, so I hope I've done her justice ^_^

Anyway, thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Definitely going to try to experiment more (although, you should see where I've come in the past two weeks ;))

<3

Posted Image

#25 songbird

songbird

see you on a dark night

• 259 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 05:20 PM

Bad internet connection, but I'm here! Hello, Vashti! :) I have to say, I really like what you're doing. I love this banner and this one too, and I love what you did to Lily Cole's face in this one, it's amazing! You really made Sally out of her! I also love these icons; I think the cuts and the coloring are really nice. ++ These signatures are also really cool, like the use of textures are so unique. AND THAT DRAWING I love it! Pleaseee teach how to draw in a computer program! :D I'm totally excited to see what new things you come up with!

Edited by songbird, 09 December 2015 - 05:22 PM.

M I R I

GALLERY (under construction) - available (PM)

#26 ferlybadinage

ferlybadinage

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 05:39 PM

Oh my days, thank you Miri! You're too kind! I'm so glad I got back into this stuff XD

There are actually some really great drawing tutorials online (Vee actually posted one on here, it's definitely worth checking that out!)

Thanks once again for your sweet comment, it really means a lot! X

Posted Image

#27 snicket!

snicket!

i like superheroes and cheques with lots of zeroes on them

• Staff Moderator
  • 2,320 posts
  • Vault Points:787

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:32 AM

Hiii Vashti! I'm here for your critique! (I'm also back after a lil hiatus so please forgive me if this is a bit scattered D: ) You put your weaknesses as composition, colouring and life (rude), so I'm gonna start there and see what comes up ^_^

composition
You know what, I don't see this as much of a problem as you might think :P Especially in your newer stuff! +This is brilliant- you've used your models and the lines in the graphic already to supplement your colouring and text, and it's eye-catching and new. I can see that you're not afraid to experiment; you've got interesting composition +here too so I think, if anything, you're doing great- feel free to keep pushing the boundaries with how you place your models in conjunction to your text. The problem is that because you have some great composition, putting it next to your older banners (like +here and +here) is pulling down the quality of your gallery overall. I also think that this brilliant composition isn't reflecting well across the rest of your gallery (are you more comfortable with banners? ahaha); your chapter images have very similar compositions- focal point on the right, one big word of main text to read and I think you're in the position wher you can be a little bit fun and weird with your composition. Your sigs have something great in them- I love +this - it's simplistic, but I think that your text placement is what makes it (I can never get simple text right ahaha). Basically, I'm seeing some really great stuff in your composition on your banners and I'd love to see you do something similar with your sigs and CIs- put people upside down, put them in weird places, maybe even attempt a minimalist banner!! Endless possibilities!! I also think that you could do with a clean-out to have the newer things in your gallery shine a little more, but that's something for the Help Me Choose! forum :P

colouring
I do agree with you here, I'm afraid. You have the basics of colouring down and I think that's great, but there are lil technical things that I think are throwing off your gallery a little bit. D: I'm gonna throw down a bunch of things and some tips related to those, and hopefully that'll help you out a lil bit ^_^ First of all, watch out for +murky colouring; y'see how nothing in that banner is full-on white, and the highlights that should be on Bonnie's face aren't there? It's not a terrible thing, but it makes a graphic look a lil undercontrasted (you can get a similar issue if your dark spots aren't black, so don't be alarmed). You have some great dark colouring +here, so I think it's definitely possible for you to do dark without sacrificing clarity (ohoho) for the colouring ^_^ I'd also say watch out for overcolouring, leading to pixellation. You have this +here - see how her hair and the details (nose, eyes) are a bit pixelly? There's nothing wrong with bright colouring (in fact, we should all do bright colouring forever) but sometimes it's worth it just to tone it down slightly- for example, +this is bright without being overwhelming (the cohesive colouring- pinks on both sides with only little pops of colour really helps with that). Overall, I'd say your issue is a bit of overcolouring, but that's easily fixed! For now, focus on only bringing out the colours present in the image (i.e., don't try to make a red graphic blue), and maybe work on lowering the intensity of your colour a tad. You shine best when you let the natural colours come through!

text
I'm sorry I do this section to everyone :c My main issue with your text, actually, is just placement- I think, for the most part, you have the basics down, but there's little things that are holding you back (like colouring. I think a lot of improving is just identifying tiny things tbh). Your issue is occasionally that you place your text far from your focal point - like +here[/url; contrast that with the sig below where the text fits so neatly into the background/amongst your textures- it makes the first sig look a little rushed. You have the main text fit in really well +here - but the 'mason jar' is strangely placed out of the way. It can make the focal point look a lil awkward- although I think you had the right idea with having it in a place where both girls are looking (that's always super useful for focal point- if your model is looking at the text, it makes everything look pretty cohesive!). I'd say also watch out for readability a lil; I think you have a lot of text +here and the warp is really good, but there's so much that it all blends together, and looks difficult to read D: You do the warped text thing way better +here and [url=http://i.imgur.com/NukAx22.png]+here, so when you use it in moderation, you actually make your text look great, super flowy and fitting into the graphic just so. Basically, your issues are where you're putting your text (try not to tuck it away in corners!) and readability (sometimes it helps to look away from a graphic for a moment and then look back and make sure that you can read everything on first glance :P ).

overall
Honestly, you've got something super cool and innovative over here and I can see that you're experimenting and whatnot and I like that a lot! A lot of your issues are honestly small things. I think you'd improve a lot from shaking up your composition on your CIs/sigs/blends, and from toning down your colouring (just a tad!!) and everything else should fall in nicely. Don't forget to clean old graphics out of your gallery regularly and keep going, you're doing brilliantly tbh :P

If you've got questions or whatever, just shoot me a PM and I'll see what i can do C:

J A D E !
kickstart my rock n' roll fantasy / previously page thirteen.
sigcolour.png
available via pm / crooked kind / q&a

#28 ferlybadinage

ferlybadinage

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:51 AM

Thank you for your critique! That's really helpful and I appreciate it a lot! I actually did a sig clear out the other day (and only kept my 2 new sigs + 2 old ones which I was told were good) and a banner clear out yesterday (after a help me choose poll) I wasn't so happy with the Ginny & Angelina banner, but was told by a few people it was good so I kept it in D: I see what you mean about colouring though. I'm actually feeling a lot more confident with my even newer banners (the two at the top) and think I'm going to work around that style more!

I am so much more confident with banners than with anything else! I'm pushing myself to make more sigs & CIs for the UC though. And feeling a lot more confident and willing to experiment now xD

I'm so glad that my composition is improving! I find that the scariest bit D: And I hate colouring right now because my laptop makes everything look quite undersaturated, so I tend to oversaturate to compensate! (Maybe I should do more black and white hehe ;)) I did actually have a couple of sigs & a banner with upside down people in too, but took them out. I will make more though!

Thanks again for your crit, I'm going to read through again and take note of what I can work on now! Thank you!

Posted Image

#29 Guest_Icarus._*

Guest_Icarus._*

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:41 AM

Decided to comment because you are such a talented artist and a WONDERFUL person <3

I LOVE what you did with the text on this. It's super cool!

I really love these icons as well. They're simple, but still really pretty!  

I think this is super cute and your drawing is amazing! I can barely draw a straight line XD

This is by far my favourite out of all :P, but I think this one is awesome! It looks super crazy and makes me look dizzy, but that's in a good way, believe me. It looks uber cool! :D Can't wait to see what else your amazing skills will create! :)

#30 ferlybadinage

ferlybadinage

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:38 AM

Aww Wren you're just too kind! I'm so glad I get to make you a set later, going to have fun with that one (just an excuse for gazing at/ogling/creeping on Sam Claflin really...)
I didn't actually draw that sig! It's just done with textures and gradients :) I did draw the big drawing of Judy Garland though... Hehe :P
And I tell you what, I'm not sure many people can draw a straight line ;)

Thank you for your kind words lovely! I'm literally popping into town now and I'm making your set as soon as I get back xD

I'll chat to you later too!!! ♥

Posted Image

#31 atė!

atė!

goddess of mischief

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,338 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:10 PM

Vashti my super twinnie!! I haven't been to your gallery in ages

(cough*twas yesterday*cough) but I really wanted to tell you how

much you've improved in the past weeks! Your gallery almost

can't even be compared to the one I first saw - this one it so shiny

it makes my eyes water (THAT'S A GOOD THING). What I

especially love about you and your graphics is that you're not

afraid to try out new stuff. It doesn't even matter if it turns out a

success or a failure but I think that is so so important when trying

to become a better artist. Kudos on doing that :hug:
I think your strongest section is the banner one. You've made such

stunning graphics lately that I really just want to sit and stare

(no kidding!).
You're making me really proud with all the great graphics that are

coming from your talented hands. I can't wait to see what the

future you will be making. I love seeing you improve.
All the lovin'
Sally :loves:

Posted Image

» || Sally is semi-available. PM first. previously fayeswonderland.|| «
»
c a t c h & r e l e a s e «

#32 ferlybadinage

ferlybadinage

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:34 PM

Twinnie! I love you a lot. Thank you so much for your uber kind words, and thank you for helping me to become better with all of this. You are just soo wonderful and inspiring <3

Posted Image

#33 Artemesia

Artemesia

You fly's open, Geller

• 646 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:19 AM

Hey love :D I'm here with the Festive critique (Stole Kristina's line there... Didn't know what to call it :P )

I think your strongest attribute is Image quality and then hardcutting. You really can do both perfectly! Your focal points are really vibrant and there are no halos and such around your figures. Great job there :hug:

Blending

I see you're worried about blending. To be honest I do think you've hit a rough spot there. But it's really hard to see because you've highlighted your figures so much that they steal the point of focus entirely. This is a good strategy when you're not confident in something, but it is not something entirely impossible to master. I can say that honestly because I love blending, and it's extremely fun once you get the hang of it.

The place to start is here+ . Bexie's tut is truly amazing, and it has helped me a lot as well. Also, read it from top to bottom and read the tuts she has linked there as well. 

Banners

You've said that you're concerned about cluttering banners. I think the est way to overcome this is to create the graphic bottom-up. What I mean is, create the base first, then the image layers and then the finishing touches. If you make a solid base, even if it not as filled-up as most banners you see, it won't be empty-looking once the entire graphic is done. Also, once you make a good base, it creates the idea of what to put where when filling the rest of the banner. Also, I suggest fixing the image quality with each base so that all of the bases will be matched. 

Also, don't be afraid to use different colouring methods on different layers. In this+ banner, the lion is a bit of out sync with the rest of the banner because its colouring doesn't match quite well and the image type seems to be misfitted. What you could have done is coloured the lion to match the colours of the rest of the figures and used a brush to create an effect around the lion to fit him in.

I'm saying colouring is your best tool when overcoming cluttering. This is because your colouring is amazing. This+ and also this+ and this+ are amazingly coloured. 

On the other hand, when faced with images of different colour bases, you can do what you did here+. Even here, you can play around with the depth of b&w to sync the colours more. also, another thing you can do instead of this technique is to match colours. This is usually found under Adjustments in photoshop and it allows you to match the colours according to the rest of the banner. But this doesn't fully colour the image so you can always colour after matching. 

Also, what you can try is adding photo filters. You can do this after applying b&w even. Or you can go mono :D Like I said, you've got great colouring sense so don't be afraid to experiment!

Chapter Iamges

I think what your chapter images lack is brush effects. You can even use this to un-clutter your banners. Brushes can fill the gaps between the images and layers and also can separate images so that it's not too crowded. In both your first chapter images I think you need more brushes. Also, another thing you can try is filling the entire graphic with one colour, say, black or white, and then using a funky brush to layer mask the parts that have the images in a way that the top layer will be a blending agent (Say, for example, if it's white, and you only mask the middle bits off, then it'll look like a cloud effect). Just by playing with the opacity and size of the brush you can create so many effects!!!! I'm still learning as well but what I realised is how much you can do with brushes! 

You can also use the same method with Textures. Lay a texture on top and then mask the focal bits away. You can even use gradient blending as it makes it look better blend-wise (a tut is given on Bexie's tut I linked above)

Your strengths

Your style is stock based which is very brave and original. It's Bex's style as well and there is so much you can do with stock! You don't have to stick to a method right now. You can use scenery as the base or even play with brushes on your base! The rest will just come to you as you go along. You're amazing at colouring and hardcutting, so I say play with figures more. You're improving at a great pace and your efforts are working way more than you think :D

Try inverting colours as well as entire stock images once in a while. It'll change your entire banner in a way you've never imgined...

Oh and... don't be afraid to experiment :D

Santa's critique elf,

Jen :D

we are nothing more than stories
Posted Image

J E N   |   2 4   |   S R I L A N K A N   

#34 ferlybadinage

ferlybadinage

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:32 AM

Thank you Jen! What a lovely and helpful critique xD I actually have soo many brushes downloaded, and I backed off using them a lot as I was becoming very grungy (and sort of overdoing it a lot haha!) but I'll definitely start using them again! That's all so helpful, and I'll definitely use your advice! And thank you for the lovely compliments (what are you, making me blush like that!) :wub: it actually makes me laugh how much my style has changed & I've improved, even in a month/a few weeks. And it makes me smile that you have picked out something from last month (the one with the lion) and something from this month, & been soo sweet and kind! I think you are so right about the colouring of the lion, so I will endeavour to change that up asap! ♥ you're so helpful, and you're improving so much yourself, it's phenomenal! Thank you so much lovely. Happy holidays :D

Posted Image

#35 beyond the rain

beyond the rain

bad witch of 'north

• Master Artist
  • 4,373 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:45 PM

*creeps in* 

I v much approve of your header 

also, you're improving so much! <3 

*creeps out* 

// hey i'm bex // MY TUMBLR (M) // semi available - PM first //  that's all (M)

image.png

#36 ferlybadinage

ferlybadinage

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:55 PM

That made me chuckle so much! <3 You absolute love, you! Thank you sooo much! I actually made that header last month :) 
Feel free to sneak into my gallery any time...

Edited by ferlybadinage, 22 December 2015 - 02:55 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users