• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#19 lost.stars

lost.stars
  • 541 posts
  • Software:Elements

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:38 PM

ATHIRAHIDONTKNOWWHATTOSAYYYYY

especially considering that I commented like two days ago :P anyway, honestly so happy hon! You so deserved it!! :D

YOURSTYLEISSOGORGEOUS!! I mean, the textures fit together so perfectly! And wowww! I can't stop staring! Those icons! Seriously :O

All I can say is how much you totally deserved it and how much ily and how much to was totally expected ;)

ILYHON <3 stay perfect <3

-Curie

Edit: new page! :sean:

Edited by ReeBee, 02 June 2014 - 11:39 PM.

thank you to aim&ignite for the perfect set previously ReeBee

maybe AVAILABLE?? (pm first) | HPFF (12+) | underneath this skin (12+) | Tumblr (M)

#20 mcdash

mcdash
  • 73 posts
  • Software:I Don't Design Graphics

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:48 PM

So, how's the new blue? ;) Aaaahhh, I'm so happy for you! You deserve it so much. I know I was in here like 2 days ago, but everything is STILL perfect. Have fun as a junior! :D

#21 hiraeth

hiraeth

(n.) a longing of the soul to come home

• 333 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:21 AM

oh my god, i am so jealous of your talent athirah! you deserved the promotion so much  :loves:

rJM87mo.png

jas // aria carter @ pw

#22 patronus_charm

patronus_charm
  • 445 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:16 AM

Hey Athirah! First of all whoo for pizza and cats, they're the best thing ever! Secondly, congrats on your promo, I've seen some of your graphics around and I really wasn't surprised as they're so good and I love your style so keep up the great work! :D Kiana <3

Kiana

not available  | a pound of flesh | hpff

#23 a.leksy

a.leksy

pew pew

• Veteran Artist
  • 860 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:39 AM

curie: CURIEEEEEEEEEE!! IM STILL SO SO SO EXCITED, GOSH HOW DOES ONE GET OVER THE FACT THAT THEYRE PROMOTED!!!!  :cry: 

thank you so soo so much curie youre so amazing i swear to god I WOULD JUST LIKE TO TUCK YOU UNDER MY BLANKET AND WE COULD WATCH MOVIES TOGETHER AND EAT PIZZA AND TALK ABOUT BOYS SKRENWISKRNERJEKJYR YOU ARE SO AMAZING, THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH!
i love you so much more bb, YOU stay perfect  :hearts: 

ashley: ASHLEYYY, IM FREAKING OUT GIRL! TAHNK YOU SO MUCH GOSH I WOULD JUST REALLY LIKE TO SQUEEZE YOU IN THE MOST LOVING WAY POSSIBLE AT THE SAME TIME I NEED TO RELEASE MY FEELS BUT I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT IM DOING WITH MY LIFE ANYMORE, SOMEONE HELP IM OUT OF CONTROL kjynirenmreknresjn vgrinmrtioe  :edward: 

jas: JAS, STAHP!!! there's nothing to be jealous of considering you, yourself, is able to create amazing pieces!!!!!!!! im sooo happy that you got promo'ed too, CONGRATULATIONS!!!  :loves: 

kiana: HIIII KIANA!! <3 firstly, CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR PROMO TOOOOOO! :wub: thank you soooo much, gosh!! im still freaking out about this halp rfjnviroenrtfoidnrtikfmr
YESSS, PIZZA AND CATS!!!!!!!!!!1

ATHIRAH

[ GALLERY  / semi-available, pm first / missy made the flawless sig

pqe4p.png

#24 Asphodelic

Asphodelic

Avi_Stole_My_Heart

• Senior Artist
  • 4,629 posts
  • Software:GIMP
  • Vault Points:185

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

Hey Athirah! Congratulations, congratulations, and congratulations again on the promotion because you truly deserve it! Your graphics are just so phenomenal! So colorful and poppish! :wub: Continue to make more awesome stuff and bask in your new blue!

- Asphodel

|| Alishya || +Gallery || TDA's Resident of Eppes Brothers Fanatic || Available (Please PM beforehand) ||

oIPQce.png

#25 a.leksy

a.leksy

pew pew

• Veteran Artist
  • 860 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:34 AM

asphodel: hiiiii!  :D THANK YOU SO SO SO SO MUCH, i really appreciate it hehe  :loves: 

ATHIRAH

pqe4p.png

#26 Marzipan

Marzipan

bit not good.

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:29 AM

congrats on the well deserved promo! i love your bright pops of color and pop art-y texture use :edward:

enjoy the new rank and new shade of blue!!

♥ Hi, I'm Mary, nice to meet you. PM first ♥
GALLERY | HPFF

#27 lyric

lyric
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

Congrats on your promo! I knew you'd get it because your graphics are gorgeous and shiny and I was going to list my favorites but then I'd have to list your entire gallery :P Your comp and coloring is incredible and this was so well deserved :hug:

-Sanjna :loves:

[Sanjna] [Gallery] [Available - PM First]

Posted Image

#28 laura*

laura*

they'll hang us in the louvre

• Veteran Artist
  • 806 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:23 PM

URjaqR9D.png

:dance:

eEVYwVA3.png

laura, 25! (formerly nightmare.) |`a rush at the beginning.

#29 a.leksy

a.leksy

pew pew

• Veteran Artist
  • 860 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

mary: thank you so so so much! i cant do anything that doesn't have colour HAHHA /that may be a very bad disadvantage but/  :couch: 

sanjna: AWWW thank you so so much!! youre too sweet! a HUGEEE congrats on your promo too, yay for promo buddies weee  :loves: 

laura: thank you!!!  :hyper: super big congrats on your promo too!!

ATHIRAH

pqe4p.png

#30 catharsis

catharsis

my world is reduced to a single instinct: survive

• Veteran Artist
  • 3,200 posts
  • Software:Paint

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:37 AM

Sorry to be totally late, but congrats on the promo! :yahoo: (Now in hot pink for added effectiveness.)

Your graphics are freaking amazing and you're going to get another promotion really soon. :P +this is so cute and perfect (and making lime green work is totally difficult, applause to you!) and +this is so adorable as well. +this is amazing (and omg more lime, yum) and I love +this and +this too. You are awesome and I'm in love with your gallery.

Make more graphics soon! :D :hug:

-- crystal moccasins, bionic cheese --

i live, i die, I LIVE AGAIN. (except probably not because i'm really busy sorry)

Posted Image

#31 a.leksy

a.leksy

pew pew

• Veteran Artist
  • 860 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:38 AM

daisy: thank you so much!!  :dance: 
i have a longgg way to another promotion tho  :silly: 
you are awesome too hehe, thank you!

ATHIRAH

pqe4p.png

#32 Amaranth

Amaranth

this is my design

• 4,534 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:18 AM

Hi Athirah - I'm here with the critique you requested.   :happy:

First of all, I love how pretty and colourful your gallery is! I've never been able to do vibrant colours, so I'm quite envious.   :sean:

I'll take it section by section, and then give some general critique. 

Sigs: I think sigs are a real strong point for you. From what I can see, though, image quality is a fairly consist problem. On the Cara Delevingne sig the background photo is sharp and crisp and looks great, but the front image where my attention is drawn to is over-sharpened and a bit pixellated. Likewise with the Brad Hughes one, the large image is of better quality, but the two in the background are blurry and lacking distinction. It's clear you're working with high-quality images, just watch out for that and if you've over-sharpened add a little blur to counteract it. The focal point is pretty solid with these, except for the top sig where I feel the text would work better on the left, as my eyes are being drawn to the left, centre, and right all at once. The best, IMO, are the 'Sherlock Lives' sig (love the colouring and textures   :thumbup: ), the 'Dean Thacker' sig and the 'Gianna Taylor' sig, but that's just my opinion. 

CIs: I love the 'Colour Me Lime' CI - excellent stuff! (Also who's the guy in the background? He's, uh, quite attractive   :hide:). I think the weakest point on your CIs is the text. On the second CI the text for "lime" doesn't really stand out, and I think it could be in a font more similar to the 'colour me' text. On the Anna Kendrick CI, the font for 'Anna' is great, but I'm not sure about the other font, I personally think they clash too much. These are good though so some more of them would be great! 

Icons: I like that you've got some more variety here - the dark icons look really good and you can clearly do darker graphics. The main issue is image quality - particularly on the T Swift ones, and some of the textures are a bit sharp as well such as the "13" one. Those are very inventive though and shows a great use of textures, so well done on those. Try and differentiate the cuts a little more, though. For example on the MU ones the second and fifth ones are a bit too close and off-centre. 

Banners: Out of everything in your gallery I think these are your weakest graphics. The text on most of them is a little too distracting - on the 'Maybe it's the Way She Walks' one the three different fonts are distracting. Perhaps you'd have a clearer focal point by making it smaller and using only two fonts, with moving the smaller image over to the left a bit and leaving more open space on the side. I really like the third banner, the monochrome guy works well, but again I'm not sure about the text. The cursive font for 'Dave' compared to the blocky font for 'Franco'  contrast too much. The strongest, IMO, is the last sig. Clear focal point, excellent composition and a great choice of font as well! I think it's good you're experimenting with stock as well as textures as well. The first banner is distinctive from the others in the use of stock and textures, so I'd experiment with that to introduce some more variety to your gallery.   :D

Blends: It's pretty clear now that you enjoy working on larger canvases, and these reflect that. The third and fourth especially are my favourites - again, it's nice to see you experimenting with darker colouring, though I'm not sure if the text on the third blend matches the more gloomy background. Image quality is what's letting down a couple of these - the larger T Swift, for example, is of a much higher quality than the smaller image which makes it look unbalanced. 

GENERAL: Focal point is an issue like you said. Try to bring text and people closer together, and try not to have so many fonts contrasting. Image quality is the main thing that's letting down your gallery though, so just always try to get the right balance. 

Overall, your gallery is really great and it's clear to see your hiatus hasn't affected your ability.   ;)
You have a really great style so keep it up and keep working on more pretty graphics. I hope I haven't been too harsh, I wouldn't want that.   :mellow: I hope I've been helpful and yeah, keep it up, your gallery is v prettty!   :D

#33 mcdash

mcdash
  • 73 posts
  • Software:I Don't Design Graphics

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

Ooh, looks like someone updated! :D Your signatures are seriously the best thing ever. I think I'm in love with +this one, and I adore the quote on +this. Also, your blends! So colorful and bright; looking at the Taylor Swift one just makes me happy.  Can't wait for more stuff.  :loves:

#34 a.leksy

a.leksy

pew pew

• Veteran Artist
  • 860 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:23 AM

amaranth: hi there!!! :D  oh my god, thank you so much for the crit. it helped me a lot and i really feel that i've finally got my life together. 
no kid.
no but seriously, so much love for your help! youre amazing and i really appreciate it!! i'll take note of the points highlighted by you and i'll work on improving them.  :laugh:

& ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU SO MUCH LET ME JUST SQUISH YOU!!!!!!  :P 
(ps. omg i forgot the guy model that i used, but HAVE YOU SEEN BRENTON THWAITES. omg. he's such a bae. OR LACHOWSKI. or jamie ryan dee. or or zac efron. or dave franco. and maybe idk, logan lerman. kill me.  :edward::loves:

ASHLEYYY  :dance:  thank you so much girl!! your post made me happy and you deserve a medal for being too sweet, please.  :queen:  (this emoji just because.)

Edited by royalgeek, 22 June 2014 - 12:50 AM.

ATHIRAH

pqe4p.png

#35 graylyn

graylyn
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:20 AM

Hi Athirah! I'm Lyn :dance:

I am SO in love with your work, honest! I love how colourful everything is and your texture use and text is just phenomenal :drop:

Your Jack Harries sig in your gallery just makes me so happy, & your Taylor blend too! You use many bright colours but they all go so well together :loves:

Your Dean Thacker sig, Taylor Icons, lime CI, Dave Franco & Elle Fanning banners are just TOO gorgeous, you amazing person!  :queen:

Please update with more gorgeous pieces :hearts:

#36 Lady Plantagenet

Lady Plantagenet

Riding the Vaycay Express!

• Staff Moderator
  • 10,315 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:03 AM

Hi there! I'm here with your requested gallery critique!

You've got such a bright, graphic gallery! It's so much fun! You have a strong sense of balance and composition, which is great, so I think as you work toward Senior, you can address a couple of issues:

Variety: you have a definite style going on, but it's also on the trendy side. We see a lot of these types of graphics around TDA, and while they look great, they're not exactly unique. I understand that as you're developing a style, it's good to emulate other artists--I used to do the same thing as a Junior Artist. You have really good skills, so now it's time to break out a bit and start to go toward a style that is unique to you.

Coloring: bright is great, but so is subtle, and to really progress in graphics, I think you should be able to do both. You've established a certain style with color, but at times it's a bit heavy-handed and a little overdone. You might check out bittersweetflames' gallery++ for inspiration. Her use of color is strong and bright, but subtle at the same time. Overall, I'd say tone it down a few notches (including the text) and try for rich but bright at the same time. You might even consider doing a couple of tutorials just to find new pathways for yourself.

So let me know if you have any questions! Happy graphic making! You've got tons of talent, so just go and create and have fun! :D

formerly Glow || andrea

grlDnmC.png

gallery || AltheaG @AO3 || @artful_catholic on Instagram

Follow the Copyright Rules || sig quote by Percy Bysshe Shelley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users