by Lauralei

Photo

See You Againupdate: 07.09.18

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#19 Kirjava

Kirjava

The future Mrs. Shona Eddie Redmayne (one day)

• Senior Artist
  • 749 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:45 PM

Hi Jess!

I've been meaning to drop by here since coming back to TDA and so glad I finally managed to because you have some absolute stunners in here. Your composition and colouring are so on-point, it's crazy. I especially love your banners here and here and your minimalist blend for the cover poster is beautiful <3

I look forward to seeing more graphics and continuing to see you improve! <3

Shona

Into this Wild Abyss

Posted Image

Bex (Beyond the rain) loooooves me looooves loooves me!

#20 hamylton.

hamylton.

TDA's Accountant

• Vault Moderator
  • 780 posts
  • Vault Points:1381

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:57 AM

Hi Jess!
I've been so impressed with some of your latest graphics. You've been improving so much! I love your colouring so much, especially on +this. +this, +this, and +this. I am also in love with your comp on all of those. They're all so different, but still amazing! You're also really great at text which is making me jealous! I love the way you incorporate it into the graphics!
I can't wait to see what you do next!
-Amy

amy. +watching it burn previously caomoyl

vBHhsb.png

| +Artist Q&A | beautiful signature by starbuck.! | +Trophy Shelf |

#21 prongsbeak

prongsbeak

TDA's Resident Ghostbuster

• Graduate Artist
  • 3,152 posts
  • Vault Points:221

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:04 PM

hey Jess, I'm Sofia! :D first let me say... CONGRATS ON THE PROMO!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: I've seen your graphics and they keep improving! my absolute favourite is this+ one! :wub: also I love this+, this+ and this+! :wub: and I can't wait to see what you make so keep making more amazing graphics!!! :worship:

previously prongsgallery | hpft | Sofia is available

WHNTJh5.png

#22 steve harrington

steve harrington

Kimi no Na wa

• Off Topic Moderator
  • 629 posts
  • Vault Points:294

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:08 PM

Jess!! Yay!! Congratulations on the promo!!!

Fillory and Further

vUS4kx.png

Rodrigo • 22 • Joe Keery Enthusiast formerly .v0ldiemort • happy pride

thank you maia (milominderbinder)

#23 choobacca

choobacca

:wookie noises:

• Duelling Arena Moderator
  • 3,110 posts
  • Vault Points:1,664

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:19 PM

jess!! you're improving like C R A Z Y. i'm constantly impressed by your creations and am always excited to see when you've made something new and beautiful to ogle over :') enjoy your new blue!!!

NVi5WJQ.png

Posted Image

a l i s o n is unavailable . gallery  . formerly and peggy

#24 starbuck.

starbuck.

hotshot

• Administrator
  • 5,769 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:40 AM

jess, i can't believe how much you've improved since the last time i've been here, your banners have gotten especially good!! your minimalist poster looks great, too :wub:

wonderful signature by hamylton.
plNvuA.png
kristina || The Art of Being Nonchalant (Or Not) (M) || art&fic || hic sunt leones || artist q&a || copyright rules || UFG1 UFG2 UFG3 UFG4

#25 cheriechapstick

cheriechapstick
  • Graduate Artist
  • 178 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:21 PM

First of all to all of you here sorry for how long it’s taken me to reply to these posts. Life is hectic and I appreciate you all dearly! <3

• Vicki!! <3 Darling! Thank you for coming by you are wonderful and I adore you! I sort of veered off stock for a while but I’m getting back into it again and I’m in love I forgot how much I honestly loved stock in my graphics. You have no idea how long it took me to find the honeycomb but I’m in love with it and am trying not to abuse it in every graphic ever haha!! Thank you again for stopping by I really appreciate all the nice things you said! :D

• Taylor!! Thank you soooo much for the critic I really appreciate it! I’ve been taking everything you said into consideration adn really trying to make sure I look out for making the graphics I put in my gallery more cohesive. I’m working on figuring out better ways to apply lying and keeping the coloring from getting muddy and washed out so that the background, stays in the back and isn’t distracting from the focal point! Those tutorials you linked have been super helpful thank you!! <3

• Sammi darling I adore you more than anything in my life and you know that <3

• Hi Kat!!! <3 Thank you so much for stopping by you’re the sweetest ever!! ​I’ll tell you a secret, Blends scare me as well and that one took me 6 hours and going through like every texture I have on my entire laptop! Haha

• Hi Shona <3 Thank you for coming by I appreciate it so much oh my god. I’m glad you like my coloring because that is literally what i spend the most time on in each of my graphics and it’s been what I’ve been trying to work on the most so I really appreciate that it seems to be paying off!! <3 You’re literally the sweetest ever!

• Hello Amy!! Thanks for coming by! I’ve really been trying to improve! It’s a lot harder to learn new bits and keep things mixed up thank I thought it was going to be when I first started. I’ve really been working on my coloring so I’m glad that it’s something that you like. Text literally drives me nuts other than coloring I think that text makes me the most angry haha.

• HI SOFIA!! THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. I WAS DYING WAITING FOR PROMOS THIS MONTH! I was trying so hard and I’m glad that it paid off I’m so completely floored by it! Thank you so much for stopping by I really appreciate it.

• THANK YOU ROD YOU AS WELL <3 I WAS SO HAPPY TO SEE YOUR NAME ON THE LIST AS WELL.

• Thank you alison <3 that is the cutest puppy ever you’re the sweetest! <3

• Thanks for coming by again kristina! <3 I appreciate it definitely grateful for all the help and advice I’ve gotten from you the last month! I really appreciate it.

see you again || artist q&a

vMpy85.png

Absolute stunner by the best friend ever, Hannah (wildest dreams. @ tda )

The name is Jess, and I am ​a v a i l a b l e.

#26 miss atomic bomb

miss atomic bomb

click boom

• Administrator
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 05:59 PM

hey jess! just wanted to say I absolutely adore +your vertical banner, the comp works so well and the pink is so gorgeous! really nicely done ^_^ 
<3 cat

catgalleryq&a | unavailable | read the rules

#27 Asphodelic

Asphodelic

Avi_Stole_My_Heart

• Senior Artist
  • 4,673 posts
  • Software:GIMP
  • Vault Points:185

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:54 PM

Hey Jess!

Name's Alishya. Nice to meet you! :kiss: Just dropping in to say congratulations on making FA and to visit your gallery - which is pretty awesome!

Your composition in your banners really speak to me, :dumbles: and I see you're versatile with textures in other forms of graphics. ^_^

Continue doing great work, and congrats again. Enjoy your month of gold! :dance:

|| Alishya || +Gallery+Designer Gallery || TDA's Resident of Eppes Brothers Fanatic || Available (Please PM beforehand) ||

#28 cheriechapstick

cheriechapstick
  • Graduate Artist
  • 178 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:41 PM

hey jess! just wanted to say I absolutely adore +your vertical banner, the comp works so well and the pink is so gorgeous! really nicely done ^_^ 
<3 cat

Hi cat! Thanks so much for stopping by I really appreciate the comment it means so much coming from you:) That's the first verticle banner ever and it honestly scared me so much so I'm glad that it ended up being something not a total loss! <3

Hey Jess!

Name's Alishya. Nice to meet you! :kiss: Just dropping in to say congratulations on making FA and to visit your gallery - which is pretty awesome!

Your composition in your banners really speak to me, :dumbles: and I see you're versatile with textures in other forms of graphics. ^_^

Continue doing great work, and congrats again. Enjoy your month of gold! :dance:

Hey alishya nice to meet you!! :D Thanks so much for stopping by I really appreciate the kind words! I was so surprised to get nominated let alone actually when FA it's been such a honor so far this month!! 

Thank you so much for your kind words, versatility is something I'm really trying to work on right now, just experimenting and trying to lock down a style and also branch out to things that scare me a bit so I really appreciate the comments!! 

Thanks again for stopping by! <3

see you again || artist q&a

vMpy85.png

Absolute stunner by the best friend ever, Hannah (wildest dreams. @ tda )

The name is Jess, and I am ​a v a i l a b l e.

#29 empyreal.

empyreal.

wishing I had time to be here more often

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:22 PM

hey jess! I'm here with your critique :) First of all, CONGRATS ON GETTING FA and so sorry I didn't get through this before May promos!! I'm gonna separate this by the different technical aspects that you mentioned in your weak points!

Text

In general, I really like how diverse your font choices are and how experimental you are with using different fonts in your gallery! I think along with colour choice, sometimes the effects that you use on your text can make it stand out too much. In terms of colour choice, I can see that your try to choose colours that are already present in your graphics but also try to choose ones that commonly appear in your graphics (eg. the beige here+ looks a little off and I would've tried one of the greens from the leaves, here+ the majority of the text is white which stands out a bit too much (maybe try it on soft light?), here+ the orange is too bright compared to the muted colour scheme for the rest of the graphic, quote text here+, and here+ the yellow cuts through too much and doesn't appear as commonly and as bright as the text). Also in terms of text effects, sometimes you add stroke when it's unnecessary (here+ and here+) and in general, I try to use outer glow or even a low opacity brushed colour behind the text instead of stroke unless it's a very graphical/shape texturey graphic (if that makes sense? :P). I also noticed that you use very high opacity gradients on your text and just to make the text look more integrated with the graphic, try lowering the opacity on the gradient (here+ and here+)

Composition

Generally, I've noticed that you do have some repetitive composition in terms of people placement. In banners, your focal point tends to be on the left with a smaller person on the right (challenge: have a focal point on the right and put three people on the banner, and use predominantly soft blending on your stock!). In chapter images, your focal point tends to be on the right but I see a lot more diversity in composition (love the use of photos here+). For your sigs, your focal point is always on the left side :P (challenge: have a focal point on the right with only one person on your signature, and use stock!) 

Colouring

No major issues for me here! I love the yellows here+ and the greens here+. Watch out for muddy/one toned colouring on natalie's face here+, almost monotone colouring here+ and muddy colouring here+. Try to avoid muddy colouring as much as possible by either committing to full monochrome or trying to add more tones! Be careful about matching skin tones as well here+, here+, and here+ in terms of lightness/contrast/saturation. 

Filtering/Image Quality

I've noticed a lot of your edges, especially on text and sometimes on your hard cuts seem kind of pixelly? I'm not too sure whether it's due to oversharpening (but that doesn't seem like it's an issue on the rest of the graphic) but for hard cuts, if you're using a layer mask to blend, you can use light gaussian blur filter on the layer mask! (eg. here+ for the hardcut on the girl and the text but the filtering on her face is gorgeous, here+ for the S, here+ for small jughead and here+ for the text as well) 

Blending

Sometimes, your hard cuts on hair are a but too harsh so try to use a low opacity soft brush to blend it more (here+, here+, here+here+ and for this one, watch the halo on the smaller girl). Also, here+ Alex's elbow abruptly cuts off so try to cover that one stock/textures.

All in all, watch out for text that sticks out too much and keep working towards experimenting and watch for mistakes in your hardcuts! You're making some really cool and creative graphics so keep on practicing and developing your technique :D Hope that helps and let me know if you have any questions!!

Edited by empyreal., 07 May 2018 - 04:23 PM.

ahcZHtv.png

call me grace  :) available but pm first | sig by avalanche

gallery

#30 choobacca

choobacca

:wookie noises:

• Duelling Arena Moderator
  • 3,110 posts
  • Vault Points:1,664

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:42 PM

holy cow Jess you are on fire!!! congratulations on yet ANOTHER promotion! i can't wait to see more and more from you <33

fes7tNn.png

Posted Image

a l i s o n is unavailable . gallery  . formerly and peggy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users