TDA

Vanya's Vibrant Stock + V2 

hotshot stkpk vol 1 11 111

DA

tanja92 accio-glow RandBGraphics northerndawn

blooshoo_designs KrypteriaHG Expose42

Behance 

emily soto Alex Strohl(+2) Bjorg- Elise Tuppen

Edited by obscurus, 23 February 2017 - 11:18 AM.

Posted Image

previously foggy // gallery //semi-available, PM first//perfect sig by amoretti 

#2 abhainn

abhainn
  • Member Artist
  • 146 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:03 PM

Hey! Since you posted in my gallery, I thought I'd pop by ^_^

Generally, I really like your banner :) Only things I would recommend would be to shift it a bit to the left to balance it a bit better and since there's blank space on the left, I'd put some blank space on the right, and I'd try to balance the colours a bit :) The comp is otherwise really good, and I like the text and lighting :)

~Shan

thanks to caomoyl for the set!

TFd8C2J.png
Shan||Gallery||Canada
Formerly ShannonElizabeth

#3 obscurus

obscurus
  • Veteran Artist
  • 531 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:11 PM

Hey! Since you posted in my gallery, I thought I'd pop by ^_^

Generally, I really like your banner :) Only things I would recommend would be to shift it a bit to the left to balance it a bit better and since there's blank space on the left, I'd put some blank space on the right, and I'd try to balance the colours a bit :) The comp is otherwise really good, and I like the text and lighting :)

~Shan

Thanks for the feedback :) I completely agree with your advice and will definitely focus on balancing the comp better next time. 

Posted Image

#4 Lauralei

Lauralei

*makes kissy face*

• Senior Artist
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:54 AM

Hiya, just looking over your gallery since you came by mine! ;D

I think you are really awesome for someone who is just starting out, you'll be really great after a bit of practice! I would suggest that you use a hard cut for the characters in your banners as they seem a bit 'fuzzy' around the edges, if you get what I mean. You seem to have a good grasp on text, the fonts seem to fit the banners nicely, so keep that up. My favourite of your banners is this+ one, I love the colouring! I hope to see more from you, I remember how BIG everything seems when you're first starting out, so feel free to message me about anything, and I will try and help the best I can, or just message me for a chat, I don't mind! :D

~ Laura

• Previously Draco_Luva • Stunning set by zorya •

Y9mgm6R.png

• The Vault • Laura • In Your Veins 

#5 calico

calico

chairman meow

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:55 PM

Hi there :) 

Welcome to TDA! 

tumblr_inline_n52qktu11a1r6jmg4.gif

You should definitely go and check out the Duelling Arena for all sorts of fun challenges to take part in!

There's a special area for Member Artists and I remember they helped me so much when I was a MA <3 

But I see you've already got a great start! You have an eye for composition! 

Keep it up! And feel free to PM me if you have any questions! 

~ Prea

she is gone but she used to be mine;;

1o28VTw.gif

---- ✭ jade e & hugo r & gabriella w ✭ ----

prea. unavailable.

#6 obscurus

obscurus
  • Veteran Artist
  • 531 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:31 PM

Hiya, just looking over your gallery since you came by mine! ;D

I think you are really awesome for someone who is just starting out, you'll be really great after a bit of practice! I would suggest that you use a hard cut for the characters in your banners as they seem a bit 'fuzzy' around the edges, if you get what I mean. You seem to have a good grasp on text, the fonts seem to fit the banners nicely, so keep that up. My favourite of your banners is this+ one, I love the colouring! I hope to see more from you, I remember how BIG everything seems when you're first starting out, so feel free to message me about anything, and I will try and help the best I can, or just message me for a chat, I don't mind! :D

~ Laura

Thank you for the feedback! :) And I definitely agree with all your points for improvement  :happy:

Posted Image

#7 obscurus

obscurus
  • Veteran Artist
  • 531 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for the advice Calico! I'll definitely check out the Dueling arena :) 

Posted Image

#8 Wolfgirl

Wolfgirl
  • Member Artist
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:30 AM

Hello,

You've got a good start here. I love the colouring on the 2nd banner you've got here. The first one could probably use a little work though. I can see you've been working on expanding your skills, but your comp in this one is a little off. The thing that stands out most is the arm with the flow in the middle. It's not attached to anything and looks very odd where it is. Don't get me wrong, the idea is interesting for the theme of the scene but the arm throws off the whole banner. 

Don't be discouraged though, if you check out THIS tutorial by Vee and THIS tutorial by Violet, you'll definitely benefit. I know they both helped me so so much when I first tried my hand at graphic making. Keep at it and good luck in the future.

:eat:ELLIE ~   :thumbup:

3F3GeSj.png

Gallery | FF.net | HPFT

#9 obscurus

obscurus
  • Veteran Artist
  • 531 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:20 PM

@Wolfgirl- I completely agree with your critique, now that I look at it again, the arm does look a bit out of place. I'm going to look at those tutorials right away : ) 

Posted Image

#10 abhainn

abhainn
  • Member Artist
  • 146 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:53 PM

Hey! It's been a while since I popped by, and you've already improved a ton! The Up! signature is absolutely adorable and the animation is great! Overall, your texture use and composition is great ^_^

thanks to caomoyl for the set!

TFd8C2J.png
Shan||Gallery||Canada
Formerly ShannonElizabeth

#11 obscurus

obscurus
  • Veteran Artist
  • 531 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:51 AM

@abhainn- Thank you for the nice comment, I agree, I have gotten better but there's still lots and lots of room for improvement  :happy: If only I had more time to spend making graphics ;)  

Posted Image

#12 Feneis.

Feneis.
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:33 AM

@abhainn- If only I had more time to spend making graphics ;)

ooooh i feel you there /:

I have the same problem with graphics. Not even sure I can hold a gallery for too long xD

ANYWAY

This post isn't about me x3 And I really like your gallery! Your current sig and your chapter image are loveee!<3

I think, if oldest at the top, you're improving A LOT already!

Keep up the good work~

xx

· lizzy · 23 · currently procrastinating over finals, yaay ·

Posted Image

phoenixalthor made this incredible set which i can't stop looking at<3 (ty soo much, omg! :3)

#13 obscurus

obscurus
  • Veteran Artist
  • 531 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:07 AM

@Feneis- So many exams and school work, I hardly have any time anymore :( and graphics take me a while to make so that doesn't really help things haha but thank you for the lovely comment and i'm glad you like my current works  :happy:

Posted Image

#14 blob.

blob.
  • Senior Artist
  • 320 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:03 AM

Hello there! You've dropped by into my gallery many times so I think it's time that I should pay a visit to your much nicer one :happy:

First of all, I think one of the things that you struggle with is text + text placement. I can see that you're experimenting with different fonts and styles but in graphics like your second banner, it would be more effective if you used simple text (Arial, Autumn, butterbrotpapier are all good examples of simple fonts) or maybe even put the text behind the girl/in front of her.

I also really like your icons, but the text is throwing them off. I'd suggest either scrapping the text completely or changing the colour to white and giving the text blurred edges, as the colouring you have given them seems nice and soft :).

The rest are you graphics are really nice too, but I see a bit of an image quality issue going on through out, especially in the animated sig. A few pointers:

- always use hq images
- don't enlarge your images, only make them smaller
- make sure you don't stretch your people (Lily looks a little stretched in the first banner ;) )

But keep up the good work, anyway and you'll be improving in no time! :happy:

~y'all can call me Marie~

Posted Image

blob. blob. blob. by The Amazing Enigma

#15 afterglow

afterglow

in the heart of hearts

• Veteran Artist
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 01:35 AM

i'm so sorry for taking ages with your critique, mia! <3 but i'm finally here!

since you have so few graphics in your gallery, i am going to go through each of them and try to point out both strengths and weaknesses, after which i will give a general overview and promo advice.

[banner 1] - your main issue here is the lack of blending. the composition itself is nice - but the stock images and the models aren't blended in together in a way that makes the banner flow. soft blending would have suited here instead of hard cutting (at least on the stock images), so as to make it all cohesive. another thing that would have helped is to have even colouring - do you see how the two girls have two different skin tones, and the flowers are pink, but the castle is blue, and the hand is green? i'm not sure how GIMP works, but i duplicate my images in the base and colour them individually using adjustment layers to get them to match each other. as for text, try to reflect what you've done in your second banner! the text shouldn't be over the girls, and should bring together a focal point rather than scattering it. i think if you edited this banner, it could be really quite lovely! you've got a great base, now you just have to enhance it.

[banner 2] - this is my favourite graphic of yours! lovely colouring, i love the pop of pink and the text flows nicely. i would just look into better fonts? :) go through dafont.com or our own resource arena, there's a masterlist of fonts in there that can help. the other best tip i have for text is to go through staff/vet galleries and absorb their font choice/text placement.

[CI] - this is quite nice! but again, the issue here is matching skin tones though they're not very off here. liam needs to be brightened, and zoey needs less sharpening - see how her edges are all pixellated? otherwise, the comp is nice. what i would say about your text is that you do seem to prefer having too much. sometimes less is more!

[sig 1] - ADORABLE! really so cute. of course, with animation, it's difficult to keep image quality but i think a touch of brightness would have helped. and again, there's too much text here - try to strip back occasionally, and it might help.

[sig 2] - super cute! again, needs a touch of brightness to her face. when working with textures, it's important to remember that they have to have some sort of substance to them because they don't have the same depth as stock does. try not to blend them with lighten/darken because then it ends up being too simple. and again, i strongly suggest that you find some fonts that aren't default on your computer. having a more classic font for 'maybe i'll paint them in' and a more cursive font for 'myself' would have looked nicer. but overall, this is very nice ^_^

[icons] - very well done, and i would only have added some more contrast! just keep working with these and you'll progress naturally.

overall, i think you're coming along quite well! you've definitely got quite a few of the basics down, with your blending quite strong. with the first banner, i think you need to start focusing on the type of blending necessary for different types of graphics. your colouring is pretty, which is great! you focus mostly on browns and pinks, but now i think you can start branching out. definitely check out staff/vet galleries for text tips, and go on a font downloading spree, that will most certainly give you a boost. image quality is vastly important too, and always, always use HQ images and try not to sharpen too much. now, when it comes to promos - i think if you work most on skin tone matching and text, i think you'll definitely move forward. most importantly, you have to make more :P there isn't enough in here for a promotion. a full gallery is a happy gallery (but no old graphics in there either!).

i hope i wasn't too harsh, and this helped <3 please let me know if you have any questions/concerns! i'm excited to see more graphics from you ^_^

ayesha
available for requests

Posted Image

( what a wonderful existence )

kay is the world's most gorgeous being 

#16 Treacherous

Treacherous
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:16 PM

Hello, fellow! I've been going around, looking at galleries, but said no word, which is plain rude :hearts:, so lemme write down a few.

Your text choice and placement are so great and if you maybe think that was a strange one to pick up for a first mention, it's just 'cause I'm obsessed with text and devastated over my struggles in the area. 

You have a really nice picked composition and colours in your chapter image. I like that one the most. Your signature is also so cute!

In your banners, though, the text looks as if it takes too much space of the entire composition. Try and play more with sizes, spaces, angles and form (or better said deformation) of the text. Squeeze it, group it, try to merge it into the composition. 

Also, there's a lack in image quality. Just be careful when you choose your images.  :happy: Only big, clear images. A bit of sharpening would also do, in cases of emergency, but only then.

Hoping to see more from you soon,

Mona

Posted Image

Wonderful sig&icon by amoretti

HPFF

My Gallery

#17 Dasha

Dasha
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:41 PM

Hey girl! Just stopping by to return the gallery love! 

Love love your third banner it has some of your strongest blending work. The animated sig is also super cool. If you wanted to try messing with the text on you 'paint' sig... I'd experiment with sitting "myself" just above the smaller text. You look like you are improving so much! and if you ever want help with text just PM me! Keep being awesome! -Liza

Posted Image

| GALLERY | HPFF |

#18 hannibal

hannibal

eat the rude

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:42 PM

Hey Mia! Sorry it's a bit late, but I'm here with your requested gallery critique!

First off, I want to say what an amazing start you have! Looking at your first banner compared to your last really shows how much you've improved like crazy since you started, which is always so good to see :loves: I'm going to run through some of the things you said were your weaknesses, and add in what I think you should work on.

Interesting compositions: Honestly, your comps are interesting! There's not one graphic in here that's identical in comp to another, which is the best thing. You're just starting out, so experimenting is key. Keep at it, keep trying new things while improving your basic skills. Now's the time to try all the different techniques!

Incorporating stock: I actually really like your stock use; in fact I feel like +this is one of the strongest graphics in your gallery! But stock can definitely be difficult, and a few important things to remember are: Flow. Make sure your background flows all the way along the graphic. Try to find pieces of stock that work together, and look like they're from the same background. You're trying to make it all look like one seamless landscape, so indoor stock, next to garden stock, next to lake stock wouldn't really flow. The banner I pointed out flows really nicely - just watch out for the blending of the ivy around the window. You want to try and make it look like the ivy is growing around the window, not semi transparently sitting over it.

Making characters fit: I totally get what you mean here. This was one of the things I found most difficult. But the key to making people fit nicely into your graphic, and not like they're just placed on top, is to do just that! Don't make your whole base, then slap the characters on top of it. Incorporate your characters into your base, inbetween the layers of the textures or the stock. I know some artists start with the people first on the canvas, and then build around them. You do whatever works best for you. Lighting textures are also a great way of blending your characters in. A couple of well places lighting textures can make all the difference!

Banners: They are a huge pain, trust me, I know, but I really like where you're at with your banners. The comp on +this is very creative (though careful with cutting off chins - it can look a little awkward). The main thing you can do is practice. The more you make different sizes of graphics, the more you'll get a feel for what kind of composition works for each one. The onsite tutorials are an amazing way to get an idea for this too - there are all sorts about building banners that you can look at!

Text: again, super difficult to master, and probably one of the final things that'll fall into place for you, as frustrating as that might be. A few pointers: try not to have all of your text horizontal. Try to find the natural lines in your base and make your text follow them. E.g. in +this banner, there's a thick white-ish line on the left of your character's head which is sloping upwards towards her. You can put your text on a soft upwards diagonal to follow that line. Also try not to use too much of the same font, especially if it's not a simple one. +This sig contains all the same font, which makes it look a little blocky. Try to limit larger, fancier fonts to one or two words, and then you can use simple fonts like calibri or tahoma for the longer quotes. Check out the Name That Font thread to get some ideas on how people use certain fonts. +This is a great example of the type of text you should be doing. Natural gradient, nice diagonal, not too overbearing with the fancy font. Perfect!

Other things to work on:

- Image Quality - Be suuuper careful about image quality, especially where animation is involved. Your characters in +this are pretty low quality, you can see the graininess that makes the colouring look patchy. 

- Colouring - Overall, your colouring is actually really good! Just try and make it more bold, and match up the skin tones, like in +this CI - their skin tones are different shades. There are some great tutorials about colouring too!

- Comp - I'll say it again, experiment with comp! You've got a great start, and I want to see even more! And try incorporating your characters into your bases, and maybe venture into lighting textures.

I hope that was useful! If you have any questions about anything I've written then please ask! I look forward to seeing what you come up with in future :wub:

This is my design

Posted Image

Ranier & Pascal -- Georgie -- UNAvailable, PM first -- Previously Schultz. -- Salazar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users