• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#19 obscurus

obscurus
  • Veteran Artist
  • 532 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:27 PM

Hi- I'm just a beginner so I don't have any tips, but I love your signature, the colours are really pretty and you've blended the image nicely :) 

Posted Image

previously foggy // gallery //semi-available, PM first//perfect sig by amoretti 

#20 blob.

blob.
  • Senior Artist
  • 320 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:35 AM

@abhainn - Hello, fellow Photoshop Touch user. Photoshop Touch certainly does seem to be hard to use! :) Thank you.

@archer. - Thank you for dropping by. I really am starting to get used to the TDA, which is pleasing. I love it! I'm glad you got to take a look at my gallery :happy:

@niika - Wow, thanks for looking at my gallery! I'm glad you think it has got off to a great start. It means a lot! That banner what when I discovered the idea of using lightning in graphics. Now I love it! :D

@abiatrarywriter - I'm so glad you could stop by. Thank you for the nice comment - it's OK if you don't have any tips :)

~y'all can call me Marie~

Posted Image

blob. blob. blob. by The Amazing Enigma

#21 eons.

eons.

SECRET TUNNEL

• Graduate Artist
  • 656 posts
  • Software:Elements

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:02 PM

Hi there! :D Since you dropped a nice little comment in my gallery, I thought I should leave one in yours :happy:

I love what you do with just layer modes and textures-- a bit more practice and you'll have developed a fantastic style which I cannot wait to see :sean: I'm not saying that you aren't already amazing, though :creepy: Sometimes, though, I feel that only one element in your graphic (usually the background) is fully developed, while the rest are just slapped on fuzzily-- this doesn't make for cohesiveness. I know sometimes the boring stuff can be boring (you don't say) but they are important to the overall graphic. Kind of like how you have to eat veggies for cake or something :P

Anyways. Can't wait to see how your style evolves! :loves:

-Meena

meena, pm first

Posted Image

Gallery.

#22 blob.

blob.
  • Senior Artist
  • 320 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 04:08 AM

@eons. - Hey! Thanks for stopping by in my gallery. It means so much when I see new comments.

Ooh, tips! :) I'll try and develop my graphics more so that they don't look slapped on anymore and look mor like they've been 'put together'. My image quality never seems to be quite right.

Anyway, thanks for coming over. I really appreciate it :happy: !

Posted Image

#23 afterglow

afterglow

in the heart of hearts

• Veteran Artist
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:32 AM

hey there! i'm so sorry for the delay, but i'm here with your critique now <3 (and tysm for the lovely gallery comment, you are a sweetheart!)

okay, so i think you'll benefit from a more general sort of critique, though i will give some specific pointers. the reason for this is because i think you really have most of the basics down. you blend/hard cut well (though you need more practise, but then we all do), you are getting better and better at text, and you understand focal point.

what i do think you need to do a lot more of, is experimenting and expanding. only two of your graphics has two separate images of people hard cut onto it, while the others are all single person. you also blend a lot of your textures on lighten/darken etc and i would discourage this because it leads to murky looking graphics and limits creativity. see what you can do with stock and textures as is, see how you can compose creatively while showcasing the people on your graphics. download more textures and try to let go of the paint splatter thing! you can do more, i'm sure of it. the thing about your blending is that you're sometimes choosing the wrong type of blending. look at this CI, [here]. love the idea, love the text, but she is blended in softly and that gives her a large halo--that white area you can see around the figure. hard cutting with a small brush on 100% hardness would erase that and give you some more technical skill.

you also would really benefit from contrast, i believe. look at [this] and [this]. see how the skin tones are sorta grey and the colours don't really pop? instead of increasing saturation, all you have to do is add contrast (though not too much, that'll make things too bright and reduce image quality), and that'll punch up the whole graphic. actually, you can see the difference yourself in the last two blends. because the second has more contrast, it looks much better (and i would remove the first blend actually). try to do more with your colouring too, experiment with selective colour and colour balance and curves, use textures that have more to them just a plain white or grey background. that'll take you to the next step (though i would also remove [this], because while creative, the text is too sharp and he is far too much to the right and it looks incomplete). 

the text on your graphics should be simpler too -- there is no reason to angle them to go with the angle of the images. text is very tricky, and something i encourage you experiment with once you've mastered more. you've done a brilliant job on your 'blob' signature, but that's because it's simple, straightforward and yet creatively placed. in the CI [here], because 'hello' is on the girl, the balance of the canvas is off. if you had put it on the right, it would have perhaps made it more cohesive.

as for image quality, you need to start choosing images that are HQ to begin with. large pictures that are clear and crisp. and you have to remember to sharpen too, when things start looking blurry -- but too much! moderation is always key :P i always sharpen on a merge visible layer (cmd-shift-alt-e but that's for a mac) and then use smart sharpen or unsharp mask and then lower the opacity. this creates crispness but not oversharpness.

i really hope this helped! i think you are definitely on the right path, you just need some practise and you def need to experiment, find the beginnings of your own style ^_^ please PM me if you have any questions or comments, and i hope you didn't find this too harsh <3

Edited by afterglow, 17 February 2015 - 09:39 AM.
omg :') my 4800th post! hooray!

ayesha
available for requests

Posted Image

( what a wonderful existence )

kay is the world's most gorgeous being 

#24 obscurus

obscurus
  • Veteran Artist
  • 532 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:42 AM

Hi! I'm a total beginner so not much constructive criticism i can give you but I'm in love with your banners- such creative composition going on and you use your fonts really well to enhance the overall image. Well done! 

Posted Image

previously foggy // gallery //semi-available, PM first//perfect sig by amoretti 

#25 blob.

blob.
  • Senior Artist
  • 320 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:26 PM

@afterglow - Thank you so much for giving me this amazingly well thought out critique. My composition really is quite basic and I need to experiment more, yes, I know. Most of the time I try putting on another person and the colouring doesn't match, or I face a dilemma so I just take them out. I'll try to experiment more with different people! I enjoyed making that chapter image -- and I didn't blend it properly. I was never fully convinced with that one. Glad you liked the idea/concept of it though.

Contrast! I was always worried that I would over contrast -- but not worried about under contrasting, obviously! I've actually edited all of those graphics, adding a bit of contrast and colouring to them all. I'll have that in mind for the next time I put text on a graphic, thanks :). Anyway, this really helped, thank you so, so much :D.

@arbitarywriter - Another comment? Thank you! I'm glad you like my banners, I hate them. Thanks anyway :)

Posted Image

#26 daredevil

daredevil

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡ )

• Veteran Artist
  • 3,396 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:45 AM

Hey! here from the pay it forward galleria thread :wub:

I really like your new stuff! I can see a lot of improvement since my last time here, which is amazinggggg!

keep up the good work! I'd suggest you just keep at it and fill up your gallery as much as possible because the admins like to see variety when it comes to promo time! :)

can't wait to see more of your work! <3

vee

(ノ◕‿◕)ノ*:・゚✧

vee & gallery & unavailable for the forseeable future

KUcZ0cz.png

★ texture pack texture pack v.2 digital painting tutorial & prev: legolas.

#27 blob.

blob.
  • Senior Artist
  • 320 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:14 PM

Hi Vee!

Thanks for the nice comment, I'm determined to improve!

I'll try to include a bit more graphics, only I'm revamping at the moment ...

Thanks anyway! :)

Posted Image

#28 impliedauthor

impliedauthor
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:44 PM

Your graphics are a little sparse in terms of what's going on in the background, but the coloring is beautiful. I'd love to see more from you.

#29 blob.

blob.
  • Senior Artist
  • 320 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:40 AM

@impliedauthor- Thanks for stopping by! :) I tend to keep my backgrounds simple and smooth. I'm glad you liked my colouring, I thought colouring was my weakness! Thanks anyway :P

Posted Image

#30 calico

calico

chairman meow

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:42 PM

Hi there! :) 

I really like what you've got in here so far! It's definitely a wonderful start! 

+This sig especially is lovely and I can see you've got a lot of potential xD 

Remember, don't be afraid to experiment with diff types of composition and colouring! 

Joining the challenges will deffo help with that ;D *casually pimps out own area* 

Anyway, keep it up! and have some puppies! 

tumblr_nkcsi7dDl91svecmko1_500.gif

~ Prea

Edited by calico, 25 February 2015 - 11:42 PM.

she is gone but she used to be mine;;

1o28VTw.gif

---- ✭ jade e & hugo r & gabriella w ✭ ----

prea. unavailable.

#31 blob.

blob.
  • Senior Artist
  • 320 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:11 PM

Thanks Prea! I'm glad you got the chance to stop by!

I love challenges, they're so inspirational :)

Anyway, thanks.

Posted Image

#32 eons.

eons.

SECRET TUNNEL

• Graduate Artist
  • 656 posts
  • Software:Elements

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:20 PM

Hey love! I'm here from the Gallery Clean-out Thread :D

Gosh, you don't have much in here, do you? I love your style, though-- obscured faces and all that drama, man. I'd say if you sharpen your images a bit and use better quality, you'll be junior in no time :loves: My favorite is the Voldemort banner, for obvious reasons (green, Voldy, what more could you want?). I'd suggest getting rid of your Sherlock ci and the Merlin banner. The Sherlock one looks kind of flat and boring with the murky background-- that being said, if you bring out some color from the background and add a contrast layer, it would be awesome. The Merlin banner is a bit too lq for that kind of stark, dark effect :/

You have a great start, all in all, and I can't wait to see more from you! <3

-Meena

meena, pm first

Posted Image

Gallery.

#33 celestial*

celestial*

mrs steph (most days) / mrs vee (on public holidays)

• Veteran Artist
  • 594 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:44 PM

Hi I'm Ash, I'm tagging you from the Gallery Critique thread and I'm here with some of my ramblings <3

Okay, to start off with, I can see you're in the middle of a revamp, so it does make it a little hard with so few graphics to go off -- but what I will say is just keep making things, it sounds kind of weird but honestly it's the best thing you can do because it really helps get you familiar with your program and helps you develop your own unique style and what better what to start than with a revamp!  :happy: 

I can also see that you're experimenting with fonts and textures which is great! Just be careful that you don't lose any of your text to your background, which is almost happening with the black text on the signature you've got. If things are quite busy in the background it can sometimes be good to experiment with colours and shapes beneath to help things stand out a little more! But aside from that in terms of your text it's really great to see variety in the three graphics you've got!

I also like how you're experimenting with shapes in your graphics, the borders and different lines in your graphics such as the one you've got in your banner are it's really nice features and the only thing I can say is to keep looking for ways to develop this style <3

Just a few little areas I noticed for you to work on: I noticed that you're tending to over-sharpen your graphics just a touch -- such as the girl in your CI (I'm terrible at this myself) so perhaps just really watch this in future graphics, it's a really fine line between under and over sharpened and I would say you also watch your cuts. In the banner her hair sort of vanishes, and in the CI and banner the hard cuts are making the people stand out rather than blending them into the graphic -- there are actually some really great tutorials on this for GIMP which really helped me out when starting out! 

Overall you're off to a really great start! I can see you're really experimenting and finding your style and it's great to see a variety of techniques in the three graphics you have in your gallery at the moment! My advice to you is to keep creating! :3

If you have any questions feel free to chuck me a PM <3

a s h is currently backpacking / semi-available
( the sky above won't fall down )

#34 floralprint

floralprint

resident studio ghibli enthusiast

• Master Artist
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:22 PM

Hey! I'm ashley :dumbles:
I've seen you around the forums and wanted to introduce myself :queen:
it's great how much practice you're getting entering challenges and stuff :D (I was way too intimidated at first to participate, but honestly it helps tremendously to get an early start :edward: )
I love your use of textures and your simplistic comp! your taylor swift header has great comp, I'd love to see you keep experimenting with more than one person :loves:
I really think you'll go far on this site :D if you ever have any questions or want some technique tips, please feel free to PM me, I love talking to people!
-ashley xx

Edited by floralprint, 06 March 2015 - 04:22 PM.

| ash | available for requests |
O6nOFwN.png
| gallery | up for grabs |

#35 blob.

blob.
  • Senior Artist
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:45 AM

@Meena - Thanks for coming by to do this. I don't have much really because I'm revamping and experimenting :). The Merlin banner is a bit LQ, I've taken it out. Thanks anyway!

@fire. - Hello! Thanks for stopping by! :)

I'm revamping because I really hated looking at my old graphics. I'll definitely to make sure that my text stands out and is readable. I hate text. Thanks for that tip. At first I was under sharpening and now I'm over sharpening :P.
Thank you!

@Ashley - Hi! Thank you for taking the time to come over! :D :D
I love challenges, you get so much inspiration from them. I tend to put just the one person in my graphics I should put more in really.
Thanks! I'm so happy you think that because your graphics are gorgeous! :wub:

Posted Image

#36 laura*

laura*

they'll hang us in the louvre

• Veteran Artist
  • 806 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:27 PM

tumblr_lk4vsuN4IP1qatq84o1_500.gif

blob. blob. blob.

i have a squishy mr. bump toy that i call blob.

so, i quite like the blue/grey tones you have going on here.

i think that +this might be my favourite thing in your gallery (tbh, you don't have many pieces, but i love the comp and it looks so neat), followed by +this. you've got some good ideas, but i think i'd like to see a variation - like...try some cursive fonts, pink/orange tones. i just...words. i don't know if it's my general disposition, or the small number of things in your gallery, (most likely the former), but i can't seem to think of anything more constructive to say.

except that i will come back one day.

cake.gif

i just

laura x

eEVYwVA3.png

laura, 25! (formerly nightmare.) |`a rush at the beginning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users