21 replies to this topic

#1 prokaryote.

prokaryote.
  • Senior Artist
  • 296 posts
  • Software:GIMP
  • Vault Points:255

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:01 AM

stunning header and subheaders by page thirteen.

oagoq091.png

fUASL23T.png

ooU9p1WW.png

46iUwjaC.png

ydO2blne.png

8u2uMlXE.png

wGvFtoT2.png

3y9DKf9T.png

20MTe62b.png

OQGoROye.png

YkM5XFjJ.png

ZF0wO8P7.png

wgcYvBbO.png  ZrS9Cdul.png

kacKI1TP.png   i9viPHtU.png

fwr2aka4.png

tmgV4jc4.png

B5GJROz3.png

lnsLTTPU.png

iNrKfH3p.png

NlHXJFEj.png

6dN3YYSn.png

AB6UtoGB.png

cIO2TTa2.png

DLJxF9iv.png

84745Kzm.png

tmscVtYo.png

EHfkgyhN.png

00M9UA62.png

JYmRySYS.png   XObi6V0J.png

z93F1EOt.pngWladekpQ.png

eu2UWOga.png   ZJL2Yv1q.png

awards by: starbuck., starbuck., wildest dreams., page thirteen. (Best Requester & Best Member Artist), page thirteen., page thirteen.

Edited by prokaryote., 23 April 2017 - 02:49 PM.

p a u l a

BFZD00N3.png

stunning set by accio! //gallery // stories

#2 starbuck.

starbuck.

hotshot

• Administrator
  • 4,221 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:18 AM

welcome to TDA and congrats on making a gallery! ^_^

before your gallery can be approved there's just one thing - you credit these two websites: this++ and this++ and they're not an okay source for images as the images on there might be copyrighted, so could you please remove those two credits and also any graphics that use images from there? your best bet for celebrity images are fansites or sites like HQDiesel and HQPictures (you used that :)). we also have the Is This Image Okay To Use?++ forum so if you're ever unsure about a certain image or a site you can ask there ^_^

if you have any questions feel free to PM me, i'll be happy to help! :dumbles:

lovely signature by Artemesia (:

zknMd.png
kristina || hic sunt leones || artist q&a || copyright rules

#3 TreacleTart

TreacleTart

Queen of The Squee Thread

• Senior Artist
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:13 PM

First comment! Woot! 

Hey Paula,

Just wanted to drop by and leave your gallery a bit of love. I'm so glad you've decided to join the dark side and come do graphics with us! I promise you're going to have so much fun with it! 

Wow! I'm honestly super impressed with what you have to start. You are already a million miles ahead of where I was when I first made my gallery. I'm particularly impressed with how well you create backgrounds already. Both your stock and texture use is crazy good for someone just starting out. That's so great too because it's such a hard skill to learn if you don't get it. I struggle so hard with stock, so to see your top banner with different pieces blended together really blows my mind. 

I think you're doing a great job of picking HQ images as well, which is not something that everybody is good at right away. As long as you keep the rules in mind about only making images smaller, not larger, you shouldn't have much problem there.

I'm also really impressed that you've already experimented with different sized graphics, different techniques, and different bases. So many artists, particularly new ones, tend to only use texture or only stock or only do certain sized graphics, so it's really great that you're not limiting yourself. Experimentation and trying new things is honestly the best way to learn and you'll pick up so many cool little tricks doing that. To help push yourself to keep trying new things, I'd highly encourage you to check out the Dueling Arena which has all of the different challenges that are posted through the month. That's a great way to continue developing your skills. :) 

Now, I know you're still learning a lot of different techniques, so I'm not going to be super critical in my crit part. Instead, I'm just going to give you a few things to work on based on what you have here in your gallery. 

1. Hardcuts. Be careful about your hardcuts on images. On this banner here, if you look at Dan, you can see a thin line of white almost all the way around him, which is leftover from the background. To clean something like that up, you can zoom your view in to about 400% and then take a hard eraser (sized 30 or so) and erase away the remainder of the edges. Also, on this  banner here, on the larger image of Hermione, you can see that part of her hair has been either erased away or was cut off in the original image. You can either go in with a hard eraser and shape it so it looks more natural or hide it behind the edge of the banner or another image. The flowers on that banner also have some of the remainder of the background as you can see some of the grey around the edges of the roses.

2. Contrast. You're doing a great job of using photos where the skin tones match well, so that's a really good step, but one thing you are missing is contrast in your images. If you look at the people in your images, most of them have a sort of foggy, light look to them. That's because the brightness/contrast is too low. You can adjust this by going to the different tabs at the top of GIMP, selecting colors, and then selecting Brightness/Contrast. Experiment with the different levels a bit, but generally if you take the brightness up, you want to take the contrast up some as well. In particular, your images of Lily Collins need the most contrast where as the images of Emma Watson on the second banner could do with more brightness. 

3. Text. Okay...so text is a nightmare for everyone. Even super experienced artists still struggle with it, so don't feel bad at all. The best thing I can suggest is to download as many fonts as you can. I mean like 100s of them, so that you have tons of selection and things to experiment...and then just play around with what looks good on each graphic. Keep in mind that softer images might be better with scripty, cursive fonts and harsher, edgier images might go better with distressed, bold, or blocky texts. Also, as a beginner the best strategy for text color is to use colors that are already in the graphic. On your top banner for example, the red on Bury Your clashes with the rest of the graphic and draws attention away from the focal point. Maybe picking one of the green colors in the background would've fit a bit better. Also, Bury Your should be a bit smaller and closer to the word Memories. 

4. Focal Point. I know we've sort of already talked about this a bit with the graphic you're working on, but just as a sort of refresher, try to remember to vary the sizes of the people in your graphic. If you look at most of what you have here, everyone is pretty much the same size, which can cause the eyes to shift back and forth instead of focusing in on a central image. Does that make sense? So like on your second banner, I see that one Hermione is smaller than the other, but they're still on the same level in terms of height on the banner. You could make small Hermione a bit smaller and move her down so a bit of the background shows above her head...creating different levels in their height.

Honestly though, you're doing so great! Don't feel discouraged by crit because everyone that gives it is only trying to help you improve. And also, don't be shy about reaching out to people here and asking for help. There are so many higher ranked artists who are willing to teach you cool techniques or give crit on a specific graphic, so if you introduce yourself and start getting to know people, you'll find a wealth of resources here.

And also, I'm always here to help if you ever need it (although I'm still a pretty beginner artist). 

Good job! :hug:

Kaitlin - My Gallery / Available

Posted Image

Gorgeous signature set by the incomparable Enigma

#4 prokaryote.

prokaryote.
  • Senior Artist
  • 296 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:50 PM

YAY! My first comment! Thank you so much for all of your helpful feedback and tips! I feel like with all of the cool new techniques you've taught me I already feel so much more confident! :wub:

Yeah, looking back at the hardcuts I'm definitely cringing. I think a lot of that is that I'm getting impatient and I need to slow it down. I'm also not zooming in nearly enough. I'm so glad you told me that because otherwise I'd probably continue on like 100%.

I just learned from one of the technique tutorials to duplicate the layer and then do the soft light trick and I think it makes the people look less sickly/pasty. I'll send you a thingy to see if you agree. I'll definitely play around with the brightness/contrast levels though and improve that though!

I genuinely think text was in my nightmares last night! I'm going to spend the day downloading more fonts for sure. I felt the same way about the red and I think green would have been better too. I'll definitely take that into account (and hopefully retry that banner now that I know more about text and sizing and all the things). Your text help has been so invaluable!

It makes complete sense on the focal point tips and you're right, it looks much more cohesive and aesthetically pleasing. I'll definitely work on sizing too. I feel like I'm starting to get a better handle on it, but I'm still struggling with making images smaller. The tip about not making them bigger has made a world of a difference in image quality. Thank you so much for that especially!

I have to say that your crit has been so incredibly helpful and I most certainly don't feel discouraged at all. Thank you so very much for taking the time to write such a detailed critique and for walking me through making a graphic step by step in your spare time. I seriously can't thank you enough! You've already taught me so much! Seriously, you're the best and I wouldn't have the first clue without all of your help! :hug:

p a u l a

BFZD00N3.png

#5 vandal.

vandal.
  • Senior Artist
  • 237 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:02 PM

omg hi paula! i didn't realize you'd made a gallery!

you are off to a great start! i love how you're sort of playing around with comp - all your pieces have somewhat different model placement going on, which is awesome!

can't wait to see more stuff from you! ^.^ :loves:

:loves:  Hi! I'm Kayla!  :loves: 

Gallery | Author's Page | formerly krazyboutharryginny

Posted Image

#6 prokaryote.

prokaryote.
  • Senior Artist
  • 296 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:54 PM

Hi! Thank you for stopping by! :D I'm still very, very beginner as you can tell but I've really enjoyed practicing and trying out new things! Thank you so much for your wonderful encouraging words!

p a u l a

BFZD00N3.png

#7 saturn.

saturn.

♡♡♡

• Staff Moderator
  • 1,300 posts
  • Vault Points:2,228

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:56 AM

Hey hey hey! I just wanted to stop by for a second and squeal over your TWY gallery title because this song, that band uggggggh. <3

I also wanted to squeal a bit over +this banner too because holy stock use! The comp on this banner is absolutely gorgeous!

I can't wait to see what else you come up with! 

K   A   T   L   Y   N   N

k5bgI5Q.gif

formerly  ARRIETTY. // visit my  GALLERY // ask me  ANYTHING

#8 prokaryote.

prokaryote.
  • Senior Artist
  • 296 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:56 PM

Thank you so much for stopping by! The Wonder Years is such a brilliant band! <3 I swear every lyric is so quotable! You are so unbelievably nice and thank you so much for all of your encouraging words! They mean so much to me!

p a u l a

BFZD00N3.png

#9 concise

concise

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・

• Dark Arts Digest Manager
  • 450 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 11:44 AM

i had been meaning to come by and check our your gallery since i saw that lovely zendaya banner, and i'm glad i finally made it! you're off to a great start- i especially love that rosie huntington-whiteley blend/manip! 

everything you have is so creative, i love it! i can't wait to see more from you!

Posted Image

Posted Image

sig by my amazing big buddy, alison

kelsey | available for requests 

critique shop is open

#10 prokaryote.

prokaryote.
  • Senior Artist
  • 296 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:17 PM

Hi! :D Thank you so much for popping in! I'm so glad you like the Rosie Huntington-Whiteley one! It was very intimidating for me, but I feel like it was good practice to at least try! Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement! Everyone is so nice here!

p a u l a

BFZD00N3.png

#11 WindingArrow

WindingArrow

Expert handler of Telmarine and Britainian royalty.

• 509 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 12:03 PM

Holy crap, Paula... This is really amazing. That Insomnia banner... And that blend! Just, wow... I think the only thing that caught my eye that's a little off is the Paula the Prokaryote banner- there is a gap between her ponytail and her neck that you missed when cutting. I wouldn't even bother, except that the background is so much darker/differently colored than she is, that it sort of sticks out.

But holy crap, Paula...

I need to get back to graphics.... T_T

vmpzk5.png

First ever sig in PhotoShop/First sig in 6 years!

#12 nyx

nyx

mc pee pants

• Duelling Arena Moderator
  • 2,338 posts
  • Vault Points:1,664

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:05 PM

omg i guess i've never commented in your gallery before?? wut. so here i am x) this+ is so stunning! there's so much movement happening it looks so cool. and your ratatouille icons are really cool too :happy: and i've been obsessed with the "flowers" blend for a while now, it will never cease to impress me :') keep making more stuff!! <3 <3

a l i s o n

AWTnp6UN.png

unavailable . gallery

#13 Lady Plantagenet

Lady Plantagenet

free to be you and me

• Staff Moderator
  • 10,224 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:44 PM

Hi Paula! Your gallery is so lovely! THIS+ in particular is so amazing! You have a really nice sense of composition, which is why your graphics are so stunning to look at! I love the soft coloring and your use of textures and light are really nice. Keep up the great work!

formerly Glow || andrea || need crit?

69ixXsc.png

gallery || AltheaG @AO3 || @artful_catholic on Instagram

Follow the Copyright Rules || sig quote by Edna St. Vincent Millay

#14 TreacleTart

TreacleTart

Queen of The Squee Thread

• Senior Artist
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:18 PM

lroN20a.gif

Hi Paula!

Thought I’d stop by and leave you a little bit of holiday love on your gallery.

Can I just say that I’m so impressed with how much you’ve improved in so little time? Seriously, you’re a total rockstar. It’s so great to see you trying so many different graphic sizes and experimenting with comp. That will really help you continue to grow.

Your texture use in particular is one of your strongest skills. You do a lovely job of using them to create beautiful bases and to enhance your graphics. Definitely great work there!

Currently, your Sweet Madness CI is one of my favorite things in your gallery. I love the coloring and I think it’s great how you played with one character sitting and one standing. The height differences and sizing makes it more interesting to look at.

Keep working hard in the New Year because I can’t wait to see all of the pretty things you come up with!

Wishing you the happiest of holidays and a New Year full of all the wonderful things you deserve. :hug:

~Kaitlin

Kaitlin - My Gallery / Available

Posted Image

Gorgeous signature set by the incomparable Enigma

#15 tamago

tamago

Is your learning curve a horizontal line?

• Staff Artist
  • 736 posts
  • Vault Points:584

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:51 AM

89cxXy3.png

Congrats on the promo, Paula! I love how you're

experimenting with text, texture, comp, everything.

You're improving so much with every graphic.

It's awesome :D +This is just so gorgeous and the

coloring on +this is unbelievable. :loves: And don't

get me started on the Fantastic Beasts poster! You're

amazing, enjoy your new blue! 

Charlotte

Edited by steadily, 06 January 2017 - 09:51 AM.

--chandeliers inside the pyramid

fmmZg4F.png

charlotte is unavailable

#16 prongs

prongs

TDA's Resident Hobbit

• Senior Artist
  • 2,948 posts
  • Vault Points:48

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:59 AM

hey Paula I'm Sofia! :D :hiwave: just wanted to say congrats on the promo!!! :yahoo: love how your graphics look so soft.. :wub: everything in here is very creative, especially the Daniel Radcliffe banner! :wub: keep up the good work and keep making more pretties!!!! :worship: enjoy your new shade of blue! ^_^

previously prometheusgallery |  hpff | Sofia is available

nAV0LAv.png

#17 nyx

nyx

mc pee pants

• Duelling Arena Moderator
  • 2,338 posts
  • Vault Points:1,664

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:59 PM

Paula! congrats on your promo!!! i'm so not surprised at all. your stock use is fabulous and it's clear that you're super willing to take risks with your composition. keep making wonderful things! i can't wait to watch you continue to grow as an artist!

a l i s o n

AWTnp6UN.png

unavailable . gallery

#18 miss atomic bomb

miss atomic bomb

click boom

• Administrator
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:24 PM

Xh5usmn.png

hey paula! congrats on the promo! very well