33 replies to this topic

#19 Lady Plantagenet

Lady Plantagenet

NaNo Word Count: 1740

• Staff Moderator
  • 10,301 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:05 AM

Hi Cat! I'm here for your requested critique!

First, please allow me to stop drooling at your fantastic style! I really love your compositions, and I also love your muted colors A LOT. THIS+ and THIS+ are my favorite pieces here. The composition is excellent and the coloring works perfectly.

So here are a few things to consider:

• I'd tone down the whites a bit--overdoing whites can take away detail
  • Your strongest graphic type is your CI's and vertical banners, and your weakest, in terms of composition and coloring, is signatures.
  • Muted coloring can be powerful and elegant, but don't make them dull, such as HERE+ and HERE+ and even with THIS+ blend (the concept is great and I love the animation, but the coloring needs touches of brightness in order to work with the subject matter.
  • I didn't see any major issues with image quality, though I think you can blend faces less--and again, toning down your white tones can help to improve image quality by preserving more detail. It's important to keep a light touch on the white Selective Coloring and on the Brightness/Contrast adjustment layers so that you achieve the desired contrast without going overboard
  • So overall, just keep experimenting with coloring, and see where you can punch up your coloring a bit without losing the drama. I think you can do really rich coloring, but just be careful to keep it from becoming dull.

Keep on being amazing, and PM me if you have any questions! :wub:

formerly Glow || andrea

grlDnmC.png

gallery || AltheaG @AO3 || @artful_catholic on Instagram

Follow the Copyright Rules || sig quote by Percy Bysshe Shelley

#20 skittery

skittery

⋌༼ ̀ ⌂ ́ ༽⋋

• Master Artist
  • 2,396 posts
  • Vault Points:515

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:30 PM

Hello! :D

I just wanted to drop in and say hi! I've been looking through your gallery and decided that I like your vertical banners the best. They have great composition and they're just really interesting to look at. There's a lot to keep my eyes entertained. Your signatures also have great composition and stuff like [this] is just really cool. I also live [these] icons because they're interesting and different. 

Your gallery is great, basically, and you should update again soon! I can't wait to see more! ^_^

Anna

anna.
Posted Image Posted Image
[icons by beyond the rain]

#21 Shell

Shell
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:39 AM

I love this: 

VU3Vbck.gif

How did you find the inspiration for it? 

#22 miss atomic bomb

miss atomic bomb

click boom

• Administrator
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:33 PM

Cee - thank you so much for the lovely comment <3

Andrea - thanks again for the crit! it's been incredibly helpful ^_^

Anna - Hi! thanks for dropping in! and thanks for all your wonderful comments (:

Shell - thanks! Inspiration was basically just the Beauty and the Beast trailer itself- it's going to be such a beautiful movie- and then also I made it for an animation challenge ^_^ 

gallery | q&a | unavailable | read the rules

#23 Vault 713

Vault 713
  • Master Artist
  • 577 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:48 PM

Howdy, Cat! Stunning gallery. :D

Your chapter images are so lovely, especially this and this (I can't stop looking at this one! It's so crisp and the coloring and comp are really thoughtful). 

Your banners are SUPER creative. I really adore the first two in particular. 

Can't wait to see more! <3

Stunning sig by my little buddy, Caomoyl!
4mi55bz6_o.png
ashley : Gallery : semi-available (pm first!)

#24 mockingjay

mockingjay

Do You Hear The People Sing?

• Graduate Artist
  • 1,129 posts
  • Software:GIMP
  • Vault Points:504

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:19 PM

Hi I'm Grace, excuse while I set up camp here in your gallery................

all done (:

I LOVE YOUR GRAPHICS!!!!
the way you mix stock and textures is just amazing, I especially love your vertical banners and the three from the continuous banner challenge!!

Also this+ and this+ ok pretty much every banner in here :P

The composition on everything is so well thought out and varied, which I struggle with, especially the CIs and sigs which are the bane of my existence. I also think your icons are wonderful, again they are all so unique in composition and cuts.

Your coloring skills across all your graphics make me happy and jealous all at the same time :D
I can't wait to see what you make next!
:loves:  :loves:  :loves: 

Grace||Semi-Available||PM first ||Stunning set by alison (and peggy) <33

Posted Image

+Forever Fallen || +Artist Q&A || Follow TDA on +twitter and +tumblr

#25 miss atomic bomb

miss atomic bomb

click boom

• Administrator
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 01:29 PM

ashley: thank you so much! I'm particularly fond of those CIs myself ;) 

grace: you're too sweet :wub: thank you!

#26 TreacleTart

TreacleTart

Queen of The Squee Thread

• Senior Artist
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:20 PM

Hey Cat! 

Since you were kind enough to drop by and leave me such detailed gallery crit the other day, I thought I should drop by and comment on your gallery as well. Mainly, I'll just be squealing about everything I love because what crit could I possibly offer you really? I'll break it down by sections so I can keep my emotions thoughts in order. :)

Banners: Ugh. There is so much pretty here that it hurts. Like I just don't even know what to look at first. I really love the first three banners. I'm thinking they're a continuous set? Anyway, I love the color palette on them. It's nice that you went with a darker palette, but add pops of red, orange, and yellow to give it just a touch of brightness. I also love how different the text composition is on each one, but how they all look like they go together. 

And that Queen of Carthage banner. Don't even get me started. I read that story awhile back for a review activity and the first thing I noticed immediately was how stunning the banner was. Then I looked at who made it and was not at all surprised to find your name there. That is possibly one of my all time favorite banners. The golden coloring, the smoothness of the animation, the way you've created depth by having the character in front of the animation. It's just perfection. 

Your vertical banners are in a league of their own. Seriously, when I was trying to learn how to do vertical banners awhile back, yours was the first gallery I went to look at. I think my favorites are the Wall-E banner because :wub: Wall-E  is one of my favorite movies. I also really love the Cat banner. It's so cute and I love the way you played with the textures on it. Again, you have that really nice darker coloring with a few pops of bright white and yellow. 

I think the only really tiny, super nitpicky piece of crit I could give in this section would be to do with the Sense banner. The one with the big yellow S on it. I think the girl in full color looks a tiny bit distorted. I don't know if maybe she's just a touch over sharp, but really it's a very minor thing.

Chapter Images: Another really stunning section. Just one gorgeous thing after another.

I think some of the standouts for me are Memory, John Murphy, and your Burning Inside (in latin) CIs.

The Memory CI has such a lovely softness to it even though it's sort of creepy with the skeleton hand. The way you made it all look like an x-ray and then added splashes of red to it was brilliant. The comp is so good on this too.

I have no idea who John Murphy is, but that CI gives me the creeps in all the best way. I think you really captured the essence of a villain in it, but also made him sympathetic in his thoughts about loneliness. And I feel like a broken record, but I love the way you play with dark and bright colors together. 

And your Burning Inside CI. Gosh. It just makes me think of a beautiful fall day. The golden and orange colors are just right and the image of the woman is so soft. I love the contrast between the overall feel of the graphic and the meaning of the text. Just looking at it, I wouldn't think it said "Burning inside with violent anger," but the meaning changes it and suddenly there are sparks flying off of her and she's gripping at her throat in frustration and what was just a pretty texture suddenly looks like a fire burning up from the bottom of the graphic. Maybe I'm way over thinking it, but I like how it all fits together. :)

Signatures: I think if I had to pick the weakest section of your gallery, it would be the signatures. Don't get me wrong, there isn't anything bad in it. All the graphics are nice, but I didn't find myself captivated with them the way I am with your banners and CIs. Maybe adding a sig or two with a brighter color palette to break up all the darker graphics would help?

Of the signatures, The World Turned Upside Down is my favorite one. I like how you faded the armies into the background almost like a texture and then highlighted the group of people in red. The text is really cool too. I still haven't quite figured out how to do the text along paths, so I'm impressed that you were able to get into such a perfect circle. :)

Icons: Ok I'm in love with the Harry Potter & Hamilton icons. I can't get enough of the bright colors and I love the cute messages on the Harry Potter ones. On the Hamilton ones I love the way you cut them out and placed them against heavy textures. It looks really cool. 

Blends & Things: Your stylized poem is awesome. I think the poem you chose is super cute and I love the background you created for it. I'm a big fan of the ocean having grown up only a few miles from the beach my whole life, so I really related to it  too.

The Belle blend. OMG. Can I just talk about that forever? It's gorgeous. :wub: The transitions in animation are so smooth. I can't even begin to imagine how many slides you had to make it play like that. Like my head is practically spinning thinking about it. Even the bit of pixelation on the rose from the animation ends up looking like it's just sparkling. Just beautiful work. That's all I can say.

*Special note for your Header & subheaders because they are so cool. The colors are perfect together. That blue & orange is one of my favorite color combos. And the cat lounging by the window is so adorable. I especially love that the quote continues down your subheaders. I read the first one and then was so excited to get to the second one to see if it continued.

All in all, an absolutely spectacular gallery my dear! Of course, I expected nothing less from you. 

Thank you for being such a great Big Buddy!   :hug:

~Kaitlin

edit: Sorry this turned out so long and rambly.

Edited by TreacleTart, 23 October 2016 - 08:21 PM.

Kaitlin - My Gallery / Available

Posted Image

Gorgeous signature set by the incomparable Enigma

#27 miss atomic bomb

miss atomic bomb

click boom

• Administrator
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 05:32 PM

Kaitlin, thanks so much for the comment/crit :hug: long rambly things are my favorite ^_^

#28 kate.

kate.

boop

• Senior Artist
  • 786 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:36 PM

ALL OF THE 100 AND HAMILTON PIECES  :wub:

Your whole gallery actually has me bowing down on my

knees but ahhh, the 100 and hamilton <3 LOVE them. Your

style is beautiful! I love how dark but moody but vibrant

everything still is. beautiful.

- kate  :happy:

formerly 365daysdone & 365kate. 

gallery

#29 miss atomic bomb

miss atomic bomb

click boom

• Administrator
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:56 PM

This is definitely the gallery to visit for t100 and Hamilton yes :P thank you so much for the lovely comment!! :glomp:

<3 Cat

#30 TreacleTart

TreacleTart

Queen of The Squee Thread

• Senior Artist
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:01 AM

lroN20a.gif

Hey Cat!

Thought I’d drop by and leave you a bit of gallery love for the holidays!

Let me start by thanking you for your help and encouragement this year! I was really happy to have you as a Big Buddy and really thankful for all the time you’ve spent helping me to grow as an artists. Your insight and commentary is truly a gift. Thank you also for all you do as a staff mod. You really are such an integral part of this place.

Now onto the graphics!

So I thought there wouldn’t be that much for me to comment on since I left that big comment last month for BBLB, but of course, with the insane speed that you make graphics, you’ve already re-done almost your entire gallery. Could you slow down just a bit? Geez. I can’t keep up.

I am glad to see that some of my old favorites are still in your gallery. :) I forbid you from ever taking that Queen of Carthage banner out. That CI that’s in latin too. Neither one is allowed to leave.

Okay, so I’m really glad to see that your snowglobe manip is in your gallery because it is so cool. It’s really great how you managed to get the snow to only show up in the snow globe. Whenever I try to animate things like that, the edges of the image in front of the gif tend to pixelate, so I’m impressed by the image quality on this.

I also really love your Keep You Like An Oath blend. The yellow and mono works super well together and I like how you broke the images into different pieces. Really nice text too!

Wishing you happy holidays and a new year filled with all of the amazing things you deserve! :hug:

~Kaitlin

Kaitlin - My Gallery / Available

Posted Image

Gorgeous signature set by the incomparable Enigma

#31 accio!

accio!
  • Graduate Artist
  • 312 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:09 PM

UgZ0d9b.png

CAT! 

Hi  :hearts:

I'm stopping by to say hello and ogle, and to say thank you for the gift when I was promoted! It was really beautiful and you were the first so high five for that! 

To be honest, your work is what I've been drawing inspiration from most these last few weeks. You use geometry and unique shapes and cuts in a marvelous and unique way that I really want to absorb the skill to do. It's hard to describe, but this and this, as well as your first two banners, are what I've picked out as being what I've been trying to emulate. Really, it's most of your pieces, but I can't link to all of them! You use creative cuts and textures to create a dynamic layout for the graphic, which often lends easily to good text placement. I have the feeling I'm more of a texture person, and you are the QUEEN of texture use, so you're the perfect graphic idol  :kiss:

I hope 2017 treats you as kindly as you treated TDA's 2016 <3

- Ally

A L L Y

GeBLNxd.png

formerly azur.ite   //  amazing set by nyx   // the final problem //  photoshop  //  available!  //  l. allard + s. renault on pw

#32 miss atomic bomb

miss atomic bomb

click boom

• Administrator
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:38 PM

~eternally late with gallery responses~

hey kaitlin! thank you for all of your kind words :hug: I promise the carthage banner will stay until I make an animated banner I like better :P 

ally! thank you so much :blushing: you're too sweet :glomp:

#33 lazy bones

lazy bones

I Am Heaven Sent

• Master Artist
  • 889 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:37 PM

Your gallery is so inspiration worthy, saved a couple to my folders that I fell in love with. I think you are the queen of vertical banners because your comp is flawless. Also your sigs and ci blow my mind. And your hamilton icons are so wonderful!

ask me a graphic ?;; available by pm;; ashley;; gallery

#34 miss atomic bomb

miss atomic bomb

click boom

• Administrator
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:34 AM

and somehow i managed to be even later with gallery responses  :headdesk: thanks so much for the lovely comment, ashley :wub: 

updated with new everything!

except for vertical banners which I need to make more of

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users