#19 bittersweetflames

bittersweetflames

filtering is my jam. I have it on my bread

• Master Artist
  • 6,773 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:47 AM

Hi, Rodrigo! :) 
I'm Carla and I just decided to drop by your gallery because I've seen you posting so actively around the site and I just figured I'd come over and say hi. 
HI!!!
Anyway, onto your graphics... It is such a pleasure to see you post (esp in the PYLC) because it's so easy to see how much you improve graphic to graphic...
I love how you experiment with composition and you're very unique with your texture use. Good job!

Keep working, practicing and getting better and for sure you'll get EVEN BETTER as the days pass... 

~~C

omg, look who won a new page.  :sean:

Edited by bittersweetflames, 06 December 2017 - 08:48 AM.

Posted Image
the war on words is real+ || HPFF author page 15+ || deviantart+

icon by me. absolutely smexy sig by my buddy, karni. be jealous. :wub:
available but please pm first! :) 

#20 steve harrington

steve harrington

i love you so

• Off Topic Moderator
  • 672 posts
  • Vault Points:294

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:37 AM

@Newt Scamander.

Hi Karni,

Thank you so much for coming by and critiquing my gallery. I appreciate you taking the time to do this. I agree with you on the blend. I did like the image and that’s why I picked in. In the future, this is something I will watch out for. Thanks!

Thank you for the tips and tricks that you have given me while I’ve known you. It’s been really great to work with you. I’m hoping to vary text and composition more, definitely!

@Red Herring

Ronnie! Hi thanks for stopping by.

I appreciate you doing this twice lol :dumbles:

Thanks so much for the squee on the banner. It was a nice feeling! Thanks for the help on the stock based question! I will definitely look for more opportunities to vary my way of composing the backgrounds of my graphics.

As for text I always love your tips! They are amazing! I agree with your script font idea. I got really scared of script fonts because when I was starting out I felt like they were too hard to read, but I think I will definitely work on adding more of these. I also wanna say thanks for the mask tool option, I wasn’t sure how to achieve that effect.

Wispy hair is my enemy. Thank you for the great frame of reference on how to get the effect on blending hair. This is definitely something I am working on!

@bittersweetflames

Thank you for stopping by Carla!

Thank you for noticing me! It’s been a lot of fun to be around here and I’ve been trying really hard to get some nice graphic work in. I am really trying to experiment with textures in different layer modes im not used to just for fun to be honest.

Also thanks for the new page! Yayyyyyyy new pages!

:dumbles: 

Fillory and Further

vZzDHM.png

Rodrigo • 22 • Joe Keery Enthusiast formerly .v0ldiemort • happy pride

thank you meghan (doctor ziegler) for the signature

thank you maia (milominderbinder) for icon

#21 azimuth

azimuth

I'll glomp the hug out of you

• Master Artist
  • 1,590 posts
  • Vault Points:

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:27 PM

Hi Rodrigo! I thought I'd drop by for a quick comment <3

Your gallery is gorgeous! This+, this+ and this+ are probably my favourites, but honestly, it's a hard choice because every piece looks so well thought out. You composition skills D: I wish I had them! They are so original and complex <3 Your colouring is so deep and natural. You even pull off dark colouring so well! I'm jealous :P

Keep making more awesome stuff! :hug:

Vanya ♥ Gallery Designer Gallery Deviantart

MXcCQcPU_o.png

I am unavailable for requests

#22 steve harrington

steve harrington

i love you so

• Off Topic Moderator
  • 672 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:06 AM

Hi Vanya!! I really appreciate you taking the time to come out and say hi!

thank you so much for the amazing compliment. Obviously, i can't say enough about your work so I'm super thankful you came by!!

I really appreciate the compliments and I am definitely always working to better myself!

Fillory and Further

vZzDHM.png

#23 klutzy_kara

klutzy_kara

Zayn's #1 Bae

• Master Artist
  • 5,681 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:25 PM

Hi Rodrigo, just wanted to drop by and say congrats on the promotion! It's obviously well-deserved! Your graphics are all super awesome, but I really love +this and +this in particular. Your coloring is gorgeous and you certainly have an eye for composition. As a bonus, your colorization is perfect and I'm in love with the coloring on your Stranger Things blend! Everything is super cool and I can't wait to see more from you :-))) 

i'm kara and i'm klutzy, obviously

Posted Image  

gallery |  available for requests | artist q&a

#24 steve harrington

steve harrington

i love you so

• Off Topic Moderator
  • 672 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:50 AM

Hi Kara! 

Thank you for stopping by my gallery! I really appreciate the compliment means a lot! I'm very excited to be celebrating this promotion!

I adore it too haha it's one of my favorite pieces actually! Thank you so so much again! 

I love your sig btw <3

Fillory and Further

vZzDHM.png

#25 episkey.

episkey.
  • Graduate Artist
  • 201 posts
  • Vault Points:222 points

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:20 AM

Hi Rodrigo!!

I am finally getting to commenting in here, I didn't want to be mobile when I did it haha.

First off, I want to say congratulations on your promotion! You completely deserve it, your gallery is gorgeous.

I really really love +this, the coloring and comp is amazing! I think your banners are definitely your strength, I wish I knew how to make banners as well as you do.

You have such a great eye for composition, great work! 

(again, congrats!) 

I honestly look forward to seeing what else you come up with! (i'm sure it'll be awesome)  :happy:

- k e l s e y-

Posted Image

beautiful sig and icon made by KaYLO REN // gallery // previously darliingfunerals

#26 steve harrington

steve harrington

i love you so

• Off Topic Moderator
  • 672 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:47 AM

Thank you so so much Kelsey!! That chapter image actually took a lot of critiques lol Kristina was a huge help!

I really appreciate you taking the time to come by and say such nice things.

I'm working on stuff definitely! So I hope to come up with some good graphics lol

Fillory and Further

vZzDHM.png

#27 beyond the rain

beyond the rain

bad witch of 'north

• Master Artist
  • 4,373 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:31 AM

Hey Rodrigo, it's bex here with your requested critique!! So straight off the bat I've noticed that composition is most certainly your strong suit. I'd honestly compare your comp skills to that of a senior artist at least. You generally seem to know where to place people and text pretty well across all graphic types. What we'll be discussing in this critique will be text and style!

TEXT: 

​At the moment it would seem that your weakest point is text, but don't worry, you're not alone! Everyone struggles with text - from MAs to master, it's the bane of every artist's existence. This graphic is a good example of what text should look like++, it's very clear - it's proportional, and you've used a colour from the graphic. I notice that you use whites a lot in your text, I'd generally advise against this. Lighter colours always work very well, but anything too close to white can sometimes be a little too blinding, take away from the focal point - and it can look out of place because it doesn't match the colour scheme. The same goes with neon colours, when you use them in a graphic your text becomes difficult to read. I'd also try to limit how many fonts you use on one graphic to three, perhaps? If the fonts are placed well like you have in this++ and this++ it works, but when they're all on top of each other it can be very difficult to read. The main text on both graphics here++ is difficult to read because there's so many fonts on top of each other. My general rule of thumb is to use one downloaded font as the main text, and one pre installed fonts such as arial, times new roman, or Georgia (as an example) for quotes. Sometimes I mix it up, but you have to be careful using some fonts as quotes because the smaller they are, the harder they are to read. This is why people use arial as a quote, because it's so simple and clear. Lastly you seem to use chunky and blocky fonts, which is good, but you use them in most of your graphics. I'd suggest mixing it up again - because it's important to choose fonts that are cohesive and match the theme of the graphic. Similarly if your graphic is predominantly stock based, then use scripty fonts and if you use textures - look at using brush or blocky fonts. 

STYLE: 

As a junior artist, I would say style isn't important at this moment in time. I would say that you have to look at perfecting your skill first and that through trial and error a style naturally emerges. I would rather make graphics well and have no style, than have a very well defined style but still have problems with colouring or blending etc. That being said, I personally think a style emerges rather early on - and I can see your strength in textures and simplicity, so I would experiment with minimalism and new textures in the future. Remember to constantly keep downloading new resources and using different models, because then a style may emerge - rather than using the same stuff and just becoming repetitious. 

CLEANOUT: ​ 

as this is rather short, I thought I'd leave you with a cleanout. These are all just suggestions, you can of course ignore me seeing as it's just my opinion and I'm not an admin etc etc :) 

banners: one* two**  

* - I know this is a very new banner, but the light background against the dark hair of the models can show even the slightest mistake in blending and make it look visible. In this case the main girl's hair looks a little choppy. As well the penname is totally unreadable, I'd change the font and the colour if you were to keep it :) 

** - the white and neon coloured text is a little too bright, and the blending is a little too sloppy 

signatures: 'evans stole my trousers' - the font choice doesn't work for the graphic, nor does the colour. 

chapter images: one - the white text and the use of too many fonts doesn't work

​OVERALL: 

​I think that your skills are coming along quite nicely! You've got a wonderful eye for composition and colouring - and I really like that you can use both stock and textures. I would say you need to work on text a little bit more so that your pieces can come together, and think about perfecting all the things needed for a good graphic before considering style. Lastly, you asked me about your gallery design - and I think it works. From what I've gathered over the years, so long as a design isn't too complicated or frustrating then it won't hinder you in promotion. It looks clean and organised, I like it! If you have any questions or think I've been to harsh, please feel free to PM me!

// hey i'm bex // MY TUMBLR (M) // semi available - PM first //  that's all (M)

image.png

#28 steve harrington

steve harrington

i love you so

• Off Topic Moderator
  • 672 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:57 PM

Hey Bex!! 

First of all, I would like to say THANK YOU! I am so thankful for your input on my text issues!  They are really helpful tips which make text a little easier. I especially like the text tip about choosing fonts that are preset and then installed ones. That's super helpful.

As for the clean out, I am so thankful! I actually followed your tips and I think they do look a lot better. Thank you so so much for everything! I appreciate it!

Fillory and Further

vZzDHM.png

#29 SkyLine*

SkyLine*
  • Junior Artist
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:20 PM

Awee since you visited my gallery, I just had to come to visit yours. You truly have lovely gallery and very beautiful stuff.

I envy at your text use because they are very stunning. Your banners are wonderful and avatars and chapter images are truly flawless.Keep up with your amazing work  :happy: 

Posted Image

My Deviant-art

#30 steve harrington

steve harrington

i love you so

• Off Topic Moderator
  • 672 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 02:51 PM

I just wanted to say thanks! I really appreciate you returning the favor! I am certainly working very hard to keep improving my skills! Especially coloring!

Fillory and Further

vZzDHM.png

#31 abhainn

abhainn

two hundred twelve

• Senior Artist
  • 265 posts
  • Vault Points:45

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:39 PM

Heya!

I absolutely love everything in here! Your text is absolutely amazing and your comp is stunning! Seriously, congrats on the promo two months in a row! It's definitely well deserved :) Your banners are my favourite, they're all absolutely amazing!

Keep it up :)
Shan

thank you choobacca for the amazing set

jm3mR7s.png

Artist Q&A || Shan || Gallery

#32 steve harrington

steve harrington

i love you so

• Off Topic Moderator
  • 672 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:37 AM

Hi Shena!!

First of all thank you so much for stopping by! It's been so humbling, I couldn't believe it. Thank you so much, I love making banners so that's really sweet of you to say.

Thank you so much, again, I mean it. It mean's a lot.

Best, 

Rod

Fillory and Further

vZzDHM.png

#33 esoteric.

esoteric.
  • Master Artist
  • 1,361 posts
  • Software:Elements

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:00 PM

congrats on the promotion, rod!

I can't believe I've never popped in here before!

your graphics are gorgeous! (and the amount of stranger things graphics is amazing  :loves: )

I'm obsessed with the comp and blue coloring in +this!

I adore the comp in +this - how even???

the cuts and comps in your joe keery icons are awesome too!

just everything in here is lovely! can't wait to see more from you!

isabel | run while you still can | available | artist q&a

CU7yAC5.png

gorgeous sig by milominderbinder <3

#34 steve harrington

steve harrington

i love you so

• Off Topic Moderator
  • 672 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:02 PM

Hi Isabel!! 

I want to say thank you for stopping by! That means so much coming from you!! I've been in love with your graphics recently and especially your chapter images!

I think I got a lot of inspiration from you actually! I think you posted somewhere that you usually start your graphics with the text and then you go with the people next which is what I tried to do. 

I just want to say thanks again!!

Best, 

Rod

Fillory and Further

vZzDHM.png

#35 wildest dreams.

wildest dreams.

that james dean meme dream

• Master Artist
  • 4,171 posts
  • Vault Points:293

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:06 PM

hey rodrigo! 

i can't believe i haven't commented on your gallery yet because i really love your stuff!

you've been improving so rapidly lately it's been super awesome to see <3

i'm really loving your banners at the moment! i think the comp on all of them right now is so strong!
and your blends are super super cool too! i love that hp one, i think it's really cool how you had the frames and tied it all together!

i really love this+ and this+ as well I think your comp and colours on both are super super cool!

i absolutely know I'm going to be back to lurk and see how you're getting on and I can't wait to see more growth from you because you're doing so well! <333

- hannah

#36 steve harrington

steve harrington

i love you so

• Off Topic Moderator
  • 672 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:17 AM

Hannah! Thank you for stopping by! I really appreciate it!

On the CI i wanna say thanks for that! I'm really trying to get better at those because for some reason I just can't get them quite right.

Thank you! I hope to see you around!

Fillory and Further

vZzDHM.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users