• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 missy

missy
  • 10 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:36 AM

Hi guys. My name is Missy and I'm 15 (I feel so young lol).
I recently (about 2 weeks ago) decided that I wanted to start graphic design and my friend (I couldn't quite gather if she was also on the site - she didn't say her username) told me that this was a good community to be a part of!
So I downalded photoshop on my 7 day free trial but I've only just got round to having a go. So yeah, I'm a complete beginner and I don't even know what half the tools mean haha. I like messing around with it though and seeing what happens :P
And that's it really, just can't wait to get to know everyone :D
Everyone's gallery is *so* pretty!

2dme9l1.png

missy

#2 Enigma

Enigma

dark and twisty

• Staff Artist
  • 1,194 posts
  • Vault Points:1241

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:13 AM

Hi Missy! Welcome to TDA!

My name is Kay, and I've been on TDA sinceeee 2010 I believe which means I was 13 when I started on here, so don't worry about being young, we've got lots of different age groups here and everybody gets on wonderfully. This place is a really lovely community and all the members are super welcoming and friendly, so feel free to PM me or anybody else if you ever need help :)

Make sure you check out the tutorial section. We've got some really great tutorials for beginners which will help you find your way around Photoshop. You can also take part in challenges which will give you inspiration and motivation to make graphics. We have a forum games section where you can wind down and take part in some fun with the other members.

Also watch out for the monthly Dark Arts Digest (in two parts) which is put together by the lovey Digest team. It's got forum news, awards, features, member written articles and even games.

And lastly, enjoy your time here! "Messing around" with photoshop is how we all got started :) feel free to PM if you have any questions or need any help <3

- Kay

Edited by Enigma, 16 February 2017 - 06:15 AM.

K a y

previously known as victus.

1 0 0 0 x // t u m b l r  // Q&A // available 

know_zpsgcbnno9s.png

#3 milominderbinder

milominderbinder

they don't allow you to have bees in here.

• Staff Artist
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:59 AM

hello and welcome to tda!!!

first of all, totally don't worry about being young, I think I was like 13 when I first joined too, but like kay said above we have people of all ages here and everyone gets along great! i'm usually surprised when i find out how old someone is ahaha. graphic design is an awesome thing to develop an interest in, i really hope you enjoy learning! again, echoing kay, but definitely check out the tutorial area, which was soooo helpful to me when i started out. entering challenges and filling mock requests are also great ways to get into the swing of things.  i'd also recommend posting a gallery as soon as you have a few graphics, because then you can get really helpful feedback and advice and comments from people!  but of course the most important thing is to just totally have fun with it -- we've all been where you are, and being a beginner at something is actually great fun, because there are no rules and you can just play around as much as you want!

if you need any advice or just wanna chat or anything, feel free to shoot me a pm!  and welcome again ^_^

~Maia

maia; 

semi-available (pm first) | minor piano keys | artist Q&A

tT6dNMu.png

absolutely ridiculously pretty sig by obscurus!!!

milominderbinder @ hpff, hpfftalk & ao3 // blue stark & ozzie song @ pottersworld     

#4 nyx

nyx

mc pee pants

• TDA Superstar
  • 2,166 posts
  • Vault Points:1,664

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:28 AM

hi missy! welcome!! i'm alison (:

it seems kay & maia already went over the important stuff but definitely listen to everything they've suggested. i also recommend entering challenges because even though it can be intimidating (i'm a staff artist and sometimes i'm still intimidated by the other entries! :P) it's a great way to step out of your comfort zone and also get practice. for me, especially at the beginning, it's always been a lot harder to make things without a prompt so i've always found challenges to be really helpful :) and you can collect points in the vault when you complete challenges! 

feel free to pm me if you ever have any questions or if you're having trouble figuring out photoshop. when your trial runs out, you can always download GIMP which is free and there are a ton of GIMP users here on tda that can help you navigate it :)

have fun and again, welcome!!

a l i s o n

Posted Image

available (pm first) . gallery . cat! made me these beauties :')

#5 missy

missy
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:05 PM

Hi Missy! Welcome to TDA!
My name is Kay, and I've been on TDA sinceeee 2010 I believe which means I was 13 when I started on here, so don't worry about being young, we've got lots of different age groups here and everybody gets on wonderfully. This place is a really lovely community and all the members are super welcoming and friendly, so feel free to PM me or anybody else if you ever need help :)
Make sure you check out the tutorial section. We've got some really great tutorials for beginners which will help you find your way around Photoshop. You can also take part in challenges which will give you inspiration and motivation to make graphics. We have a forum games section where you can wind down and take part in some fun with the other members.
Also watch out for the monthly Dark Arts Digest (in two parts) which is put together by the lovey Digest team. It's got forum news, awards, features, member written articles and even games.
And lastly, enjoy your time here! "Messing around" with photoshop is how we all got started :) feel free to PM if you have any questions or need any help <3
- Kay

hello Kay! Wow, that's a long time - you must know your way round this site pretty well by now :P aww, I've only been here a day and it already seems like such a lovely community!
the tutorial section sound amazing (but I can't find it lol) as I am currently just clicking on buttons and seeing what happens. I kind of like to learn that way though because I get really excited when I discover a new feature :P
ahhh, Dark Arts Digest? Is that like a monthly newsletter? Ohmygosh I'm loving this site more and more!!
will do, thank you for welcoming me <3

hello and welcome to tda!!!

first of all, totally don't worry about being young, I think I was like 13 when I first joined too, but like kay said above we have people of all ages here and everyone gets along great! i'm usually surprised when i find out how old someone is ahaha. graphic design is an awesome thing to develop an interest in, i really hope you enjoy learning! again, echoing kay, but definitely check out the tutorial area, which was soooo helpful to me when i started out. entering challenges and filling mock requests are also great ways to get into the swing of things.  i'd also recommend posting a gallery as soon as you have a few graphics, because then you can get really helpful feedback and advice and comments from people!  but of course the most important thing is to just totally have fun with it -- we've all been where you are, and being a beginner at something is actually great fun, because there are no rules and you can just play around as much as you want!

if you need any advice or just wanna chat or anything, feel free to shoot me a pm!  and welcome again ^_^

~Maia

hi Maia (that's such a pretty name <3)
I'm so glad there's people here of all ages - it makes it seem so much more welcoming :)
yeah, even though I've only just downloaded photoshop, I'm having so much fun with it already as I'm kind of into art and photography already.
I had a look at the challenge section before - it gives my so much inspiration that I just don't know what to do with lol (not that that's a bad thing).
and yes, I can't wait to make a gallery! Unfortunately at the moment I've only made 2 graphics :P but I'm going to keep making them until I have enough to fill out a gallery.
thank you for popping by anyway, hope you had/have a nice day :)

hi missy! welcome!! i'm alison (:

it seems kay & maia already went over the important stuff but definitely listen to everything they've suggested. i also recommend entering challenges because even though it can be intimidating (i'm a staff artist and sometimes i'm still intimidated by the other entries! :P) it's a great way to step out of your comfort zone and also get practice. for me, especially at the beginning, it's always been a lot harder to make things without a prompt so i've always found challenges to be really helpful :) and you can collect points in the vault when you complete challenges! 

feel free to pm me if you ever have any questions or if you're having trouble figuring out photoshop. when your trial runs out, you can always download GIMP which is free and there are a ton of GIMP users here on tda that can help you navigate it :)

have fun and again, welcome!!

hi Alison! Thank you!
I'm loving learning how to use photoshop it's so fun! And those challenges do look like a good idea to experiment with different techniques and get some inspiration!
aahh, what's the vault? (I'm sorry I'm so clueless - I should try and find it myself :P)
and I will do, thank you for your kindness! I'm hoping my mum will pay for photoshop for me - fingers crossed!! If not, I might pay for a couple of months and see how I go :)
anyways, thanks for stopping to say hello
Missy <3

2dme9l1.png

missy

#6 lucida.

lucida.
  • Dark Arts Digest Manager
  • 118 posts
  • Software:Other
  • Vault Points:475

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:38 PM

Hello Missy!

I'm Alli and I just turned 16 like two months ago and I have been making graphics for four so I get the whole feeling young thing! I'm excited to have someone my age around here  :yahoo: Listen to those guys^^^ They know their stuff. And yes, the Digest is like a monthly newsletter! You can even write for it if you want :) If you have any questions like where to find the tutorial center, dueling arena, or the DA digest then feel free to message me!!

Alli

Y0g5qVQ.png
Absolutely stunning set made by Vault713 * Formerly alli-and-calli42 * Gallery

M. Clarke and I. Bramble on PW

#7 page thirteen.

page thirteen.

known to give the colour red the blues

• Staff Moderator
  • 1,688 posts
  • Vault Points:672

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:50 PM

hi hi missy! i'm jade, welcome to tda : D

i'm super glad to see you around- and jumping right in with graphics too ahaha. i think i lurked for ages before i finally had enough courage to post :lol: but i think you can tell that the community here is very friendly :P i'm looking forward to seeing you around more ^_^ (and no worries on feeling young! i was a tiny thirteen year old when i was started and not very smart about it :| )

i'll echo what these guys said and you're totally free to pm me whenever you have any questions- especially in regards to +BBLB because that's tda's mentor program which i help run, so when that cycles round, you might enjoy taking part in that :P otherwise i totally recommend just clicking random forums because that's how i found lots of cool stuff :lol:

JADE. || we are simply wicked to a tee. || Q&A
MIUD0bIj.png
AVAILABLE! CROOKED KIND. RADICAL SIG BY BEYOND THE RAIN.

#8 missy

missy
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:31 AM

Hello Missy!
I'm Alli and I just turned 16 like two months ago and I have been making graphics for four so I get the whole feeling young thing! I'm excited to have someone my age around here  :yahoo: Listen to those guys^^^ They know their stuff. And yes, the Digest is like a monthly newsletter! You can even write for it if you want :) If you have any questions like where to find the tutorial center, dueling arena, or the DA digest then feel free to message me!!

hey Alli! (I was about to call you Lucinda oops)
that's really nice to have someone a similar age to me here :) yes I read a few issues of the digest and it's really well written - and the headers are simply stunning!!
thank you for welcoming me, I'm sure I'll be messaging you soon as I will probably be vvvv. confused!
<3

hi hi missy! i'm jade, welcome to tda : Di'm super glad to see you around- and jumping right in with graphics too ahaha. i think i lurked for ages before i finally had enough courage to post :lol: but i think you can tell that the community here is very friendly :P i'm looking forward to seeing you around more ^_^ (and no worries on feeling young! i was a tiny thirteen year old when i was started and not very smart about it :| )i'll echo what these guys said and you're totally free to pm me whenever you have any questions- especially in regards to +BBLB because that's tda's mentor program which i help run, so when that cycles round, you might enjoy taking part in that :P otherwise i totally recommend just clicking random forums because that's how i found lots of cool stuff :lol:

hello Jade :happy:
I'm usually a bit of a lurker too, but I wanted to get straight in to graphic making when I got my seven day free trial :D
bblb sounds really fun!! And so helpful as well!! I'd love to do that.
but thank you for stopping by anyways.
Missy <33

2dme9l1.png

missy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users