#1 cheriechapstick

cheriechapstick
  • Graduate Artist
  • 180 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:04 PM

My name is

J e s s.

photoshop cs2 recently transfered from GIMP.

Current Faves: Katy Perry, Grimm, Bones, The Script, Chris Pratt.

Newest will always be at the top.

​Banners:

thisisahotmess.png

scian.png

found_it.png

Old Favorites: + + 

​Chapter Images:

natchen.png

playthatsong.png

ophelia.png

Signatures:

europa.png

grace_tallis.png

kiefer.png

​Icons:

seyfried_set.png

Untitled_1_copy.png

​
Other:

amelia_claire2.png

Old Favorites: +

Promotions and awards:

pIgCvx.png starbuck.png vhNVZ6.png

​     junior award by miss atomic bomb  ||  senior award by starbuck.|| graduate by miss atomic bomb

miss_atomic_bomb.png

featured artists award by miss atomic bomb

azimuth.png

ybw award by azimuth

credits++

Edited by cheriechapstick, 26 July 2018 - 09:29 AM.

see you again || artist q&a

vMpy85.png

Absolute stunner by the best friend ever, Hannah (wildest dreams. @ tda )

The name is Jess, and I am ​a v a i l a b l e.

#2 snicket!

snicket!

i like superheroes and cheques with lots of zeroes on them

• Staff Moderator
  • 2,320 posts
  • Vault Points:787

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:15 PM

HAHA FIRST HI JESS

i mean, i'm a very serious person and i am so glad to see your gallery finally on tda after so much time working on it! i'm legitimately so excite to see you around, and i'm already such a fan of your work especially +this - i love the soft greens and the text so much aaand +this because that composition is perf *___*

i'm so ready to see you around tda more (more than you already are :P ) and posting everywhere and i am obviously going to stalk your gallery forever no shame \o/

J A D E !
kickstart my rock n' roll fantasy / previously page thirteen.
sigcolour.png
available via pm / crooked kind / q&a

#3 wildest dreams.

wildest dreams.

that james dean meme dream

• Master Artist
  • 4,166 posts
  • Vault Points:293

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:50 PM

[arrives an hour late with starbucks] HI JESS LOOK HOW GOOD YOU ARE ALREADY WHAT THE HELL 

honestly i'm personally offended that ur comp and text are already looking really good and i know that now you've posted your gallery you're only going to get better and i'm going to badger you constantly to post your graphics and enter challenges more and i'm not sorry about it <33 i'm so into this+ like my jaw dropped when i first saw it honestly

ily and ur gallery is gorgeous and i'm gonna live here forever  :loves:  :loves:  :loves: [insert we have decided to stan forever meme]

#4 steve harrington

steve harrington

i love you so

• Off Topic Moderator
  • 655 posts
  • Vault Points:294

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:10 PM

Hi Jess!

I can see that you have made quite a bit of progress in your gallery!

Because seriously your use of text is phenomenal! I also absolutely adore your icons!

I can't wait to see what more you come up with!

Fillory and Further

vZzDHM.png

Rodrigo • 22 • Joe Keery Enthusiast formerly .v0ldiemort • happy pride

thank you meghan (doctor ziegler) for the signature

thank you maia (milominderbinder) for icon

#5 cheriechapstick

cheriechapstick
  • Graduate Artist
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:36 PM

Hi!! I am very spoilt to have jade an hannah kick start my gallery comments!! I know you two have been following me and dealing with my pestering so thanks for that and thank you so much for stopping by I appreciate the comments and adore you both!!

@Rodrigo! Thanks for stopping by! :) I appreciate the comment it means a lot for you to like my two least favorite things in my gallery so I REALLY  apprecaite hearing that! I've been trying super hard on text and icons just leave me stumped! Thanks :)

vMpy85.png

#6 daredevil

daredevil

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡ )

• Veteran Artist
  • 3,453 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:08 AM

hi jess!! I'm vee :D just popping by to say that I'm really loving seeing your work in pylc!! you have super creative composition and you use stock better than I could ever hope to :') I see you moving up the ranks pretty fast if you keep up all this amazing stuff!! I especially love your fourth and fifth banners :wub: 

looking forward to seeing more amazing pretties from you soon! <3 

vee

(ノ◕‿◕)ノ*:・゚✧

vee & gallery & pm for requests

FYErt2s.png

★ texture pack texture pack v.2 digital painting tutorial & prev: legolas.

#7 &thereshegoes

&thereshegoes

TDA's resident derp

• Graduate Artist
  • 1,323 posts
  • Vault Points:a gazillion

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:21 PM

love that blend! nice use of the minimal space  :happy:

-Sankavi :caren:

sup, im sankavi

fF9ZBd1.png

+He's Harry FREAKING Potter // +HPFF

#8 cheriechapstick

cheriechapstick
  • Graduate Artist
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:34 AM

@Vee Thank you for stopping by!! :D Really appreciate it your comment made my day! Thank you, im always so afraid of over cluttering with my stock so that means a lot to me!

@Sankavi Thank yoooooooou! That blend to me hours to do and i'm definitely not looking forward to having to do another!! Thanks for stopping by I really appreciate your comments!

vMpy85.png

#9 abhainn

abhainn

two hundred twelve

• Senior Artist
  • 265 posts
  • Vault Points:45

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:39 PM

Hiya! I can't believe I haven't commented in here yet :P I absolutely love love love your stock use and your blend is to die for, the comp is amazing  :drop:  :drop:  :drop:

thank you choobacca for the amazing set

jm3mR7s.png

Artist Q&A || Shan || Gallery

#10 cheriechapstick

cheriechapstick
  • Graduate Artist
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:52 PM

Hiya! I can't believe I haven't commented in here yet :P I absolutely love love love your stock use and your blend is to die for, the comp is amazing  :drop:  :drop:  :drop:

HI SHAN!! Sorry it took a while to reply been pretty MIA with busy in life and such <3 Thank you so much for stopping by though I appreciate the comment you are so sweet!! Thank you so much. Stock is my life. lol 

vMpy85.png

#11 jellybean jones

jellybean jones
  • Member Artist
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:23 PM

ahhhhh. jess everything is so pretty--seriously i love how flawless your backgrounds look? ugh. i love it, and you. 

Posted Image

sammi | gallery
thanks kristina for the gorgeous sig!

#12 klutzy_kara

klutzy_kara

Zayn's #1 Bae

• Master Artist
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:08 PM

Hi Jess!

I love that each of your pieces is so different! You really do a great job varying composition, coloring, and all that (which is a lot harder than it looks!). +This piece is definitely my favorite. The use of textures is so so cool (and I actually just read your post in the did you know thread and I'm so impressed! It is stunning to look at. Your text is also spot on here! I also love the pink +here. It really pops and creates a cool effect, especially with your textures. But, actually, as I said, your comp is good everywhere! Love the lightning type thing +here and +here, your stock use is fab, the +text here is perfect, and +this piece has lovely coloring. If you want a bit of a tip, watch out for your text! Sometimes it's a bit hard to read. For example, I think a stronger drop shadow may help +here and could be placed better (to the left?) +here. You're doing so well though and I can't wait to see more from you. You have a lovely gallery, full of so many cool and unique places! I love your experimentation with textures and could learn a lot from you about that! 

xo

Kara

i'm kara and i'm klutzy, obviously

Posted Image  

gallery |  available for requests | artist q&a

#13 starbuck.

starbuck.

hotshot

• Administrator
  • 5,805 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:04 PM

hey jess! :)

your second banner is totally amazing, i just wanted to come here and stare at it :loves: :loves: :worship: the text and comp are so cool!

keep being great! :queen: :wub:

wonderful signature by hamylton.
plNvuA.png
kristina || The Art of Being Nonchalant (Or Not) (M) || art&fic || hic sunt leones || artist q&a || copyright rules || UFG1 UFG2 UFG3 UFG4

#14 cheriechapstick

cheriechapstick
  • Graduate Artist
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:00 PM

ahhhhh. jess everything is so pretty--seriously i love how flawless your backgrounds look? ugh. i love it, and you. 

Sammi I love you! <3 Thank youuuuu. I appreciate you.

Hi Jess!

I love that each of your pieces is so different! You really do a great job varying composition, coloring, and all that (which is a lot harder than it looks!). +This piece is definitely my favorite. The use of textures is so so cool (and I actually just read your post in the did you know thread and I'm so impressed! It is stunning to look at. Your text is also spot on here! I also love the pink +here. It really pops and creates a cool effect, especially with your textures. But, actually, as I said, your comp is good everywhere! Love the lightning type thing +here and +here, your stock use is fab, the +text here is perfect, and +this piece has lovely coloring. If you want a bit of a tip, watch out for your text! Sometimes it's a bit hard to read. For example, I think a stronger drop shadow may help +here and could be placed better (to the left?) +here. You're doing so well though and I can't wait to see more from you. You have a lovely gallery, full of so many cool and unique places! I love your experimentation with textures and could learn a lot from you about that! 

xo

Kara

Kara! :D Hi thank you for stopping by I love you and appreciate you!! lol I'm glad that you see the variation, I try really hard because often times I feel like I'm super repetitive on it and really try to stir things up. Text I know is definitely one of my weakest points I just can't get the hang of it other than when I get lucky a few times lol. I'll make sure that I keep an eye out for readability on my things in the future.

Thank you so much for stopping by though I really appreciate it! You made my day when I read your comment yesterday. 

hey jess! :)

your second banner is totally amazing, i just wanted to come here and stare at it :loves: :loves: :worship: the text and comp are so cool!

keep being great! :queen: :wub:

aaaaaaaawh thank you Kristina!! I really didn't realize that banner was going to get so much attention when I made it but I appreciate it so much :D :D 

vMpy85.png

#15 hecate.

hecate.
  • Graduate Artist
  • 431 posts
  • Vault Points:123

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:21 AM

Jess!!! I am finally here, forgive me for taking so long!

You already know that I think your graphics are amazing! Your stock use is just incredible and it makes me super jealous because stock is just a no-go for me! And the variety of your comp and text is so good - I always end up very repetitive but you have no problems with that! Your second banner is actually amazing - that pop of pink, the text and the comp are seriously wonderful and I just love the whole thing together. My favourite graphic though has to be +this - the texture use, especially the honeycomb texture (I see you found it!) is incredible, and I absolutely adore the text - it just fits so perfectly. And then the comp just pulls everything together!

I can't wait for you to make more graphics, and you'll be flying up the ranks in no time! :happy:

hey, i'm vicki │ available, but pm first.
Posted Image
~rewrite the stars~

#16 Amortentia1992

Amortentia1992

"and though she be but little, she is fierce"

• Critique Corner Moderator
  • 695 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:37 AM

Hi Jess. I’m here with your requested critique. I’m going to lay this out by acknowledging the specific areas you mentioned and give feedback on what is working and what could use work as well as any advice I have. I’ll wrap up with a general critique of your whole gallery.

Text – I feel underqualified to critique text because it’s not my strongest area. What I see from your gallery is a firm understanding of the basics. You match the text with colors in the rest of the graphic and you seem to be experimenting with fonts and text styles. However, your text can be hard to read or be distracting from the rest of the graphic. In this+ banner, for instance, there is so much going on with text. The main text blends into the graphic while the quote sticks out. In this instance, it would do well to try a drop shadow under “Missing” to make it stand out and decrease the size (and make it all one size) on the smaller quotes. However, in your, this city never sleeps sig the text stands out great and is both eye-catching as well as creative. Text is one of those areas you really just need to practice with and play around with different fonts, sizes, styles, and colors until it fits in.

Coloring – Your coloring is pretty good all things considered, you have a variety of dark and lighter colors in your graphics and are showing that you are experimenting with them in your graphics. However, in some case,s your coloring is too saturated making backgrounds stick out more and take away from the focal point in your graphics. I feel you do well with picking complimentary colors but that the coloring itself is a little flat. You would do well to add more depth with shadows and highlights, lighting goes a long way. Check out some tutorials and play around with using different adjustment settings like levels and gradient maps and color balance. this+ tutorial really helped me when I was getting back into graphic making and is still one I use frequently.

I love your coloring in this+ banner. In this+ signature, however, the coloring kind of hinders the focus. While I love the actual colors you chose my eyes kind of do this O____O. The bright texture behind the smaller model makes him stand out and be noticed first which is great, but the contrasting darkness over the bigger model pulls my eye in that direction almost at the same time. The coloring over that area may be too dark and could benefit from some lightening up.

Image Quality – Your image quality isn’t terrible. From what I can tell you are using higher quality images and your models don’t look too grainy or blurry. Three things I’ll mention. To improve overall image quality image prep is super important. I usually will prep my models before I use them in a graphic even with HQ images. Check out some tutorials to find a style you like best but basically, it’s a mixture of sharpening, blurring and blending around faces that I find useful.
I also have discovered the benefits of filtering after you have a graphic complete. this+ tutorial has been particularly helpful for me.

One thing that I feel you should watch for that may affect the overall image quality is your blending around models. In this+ CI you did a fine job of blending around the hair and really fading it into the graphic. But in this+ sig there are areas of the hair that are a little jagged and rough causing the model to stick out more. The reason I mention this blending under image quality is because blending isn’t something I feel you struggle with. It’s more the blurring of hair to mesh well with the background. Usually, I hard cut my model out with a large hard brush and then will decrease the opacity and a smaller, fluffier brush and gently fade the edges of a model’s hairline.

General – You have a lovely, developing style. You use textures very well and have lovely composition. I recommend playing with some tutorials and just reaching beyond your comfort zone a little more to gain more practice. I also feel it would be lovely to have a little more variety in each section of your gallery. It's best to have a couple of examples in each to really showcase our style and techniques. Wonderful work Jess, I have no doubt that with a little practice you will go very far indeed.

Edited by Amortentia1992, 31 March 2018 - 07:42 AM.

Taylor

Previously BrokenButterfly

My Gallery+ | My FFN Page+ -M

Posted Image

Beautiful Set by Enigma @ TDA ||  Available | Please PM

#17 jellybean jones

jellybean jones
  • Member Artist
  • 145 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:42 PM

i'm popping back in to sigh in envy on how lovely your text is and how you're able to make it fit with your models along with interact with itself. plus i adore your font choices and you and everything. you know the life.

Posted Image

sammi | gallery
thanks kristina for the gorgeous sig!

#18 nomad

nomad

we are the reckless

• Duelling Arena Moderator
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:04 AM

um, wowowow your gallery has me floored

i am so impressed by the composition and coloring of this+ banner. that takes some serious skill and confidence to pull off and you do it flawlessly

every time i see this+ bunny i just want to stare at it forever. the texture use, the font, and the coloring (not to mention the actor) are to die for

blends intimidate me, so please teach me your ways bc this+ one is fantastic 

i'll keep an eye out for your name on the promotion lists in the months to come so keep up the great work! 

Edited by nomad, 01 April 2018 - 11:04 AM.

CALL ME KAT

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
available for requests.

lovely tonight*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users