99 replies to this topic

#37 floralprint

floralprint

resident studio ghibli enthusiast

• Master Artist
  • 1,557 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:44 PM

AVIIII Happy New Year right back!!  *runs to leave a proper comment in your gallery* :yahoo:

You're silly, of course I know who you are :hug: THANK YOU for all the lovely compliments!! (They just put Friends on Netflix so I'm freeeeaking out about it and that banner was what came out of it :P)

:kitty:

Edited by floralprint, 03 January 2015 - 03:45 PM.

| ash | available for requests |
Posted Image
| gallery | up for grabs |

#38 daredevil

daredevil

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡ )

• Veteran Artist
  • 3,453 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:22 AM

awh man I wish I was as skilled as you when I was a junior :edward:

also HIIII

we may have met before but it's been a really long time so HELLO I'M VEE :loves:

your banners are kind of (very) amazing

I love the first and third especially <33 and your second chapter image is all kinds of gorgeous! 

and I love the colouring on your first sig :'))

I might as well say that I love everything here bc it's pretty much true :lol:

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU IN SENIOR BLUE SOON

and also keep making pretties pls thank you

love,

vee <3

(ノ◕‿◕)ノ*:・゚✧

vee & gallery & beautiful set by doctor ziegler

5tlzvyL.png

★ texture pack texture pack v.2 digital painting tutorial & prev: legolas.

#39 kate.

kate.

boop

• Senior Artist
  • 786 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:29 PM

GET OUTTA TOWN  :drop:

but don't actually. I love your entire gallery. I've seen your graphics floating around

and they're all so pretty. especially this, which is without a doubt my favorite thing

in your gallery. your composition and coloring is especially amazing <3 and you're so

creative with your text, hnggg. jealous

- kate

formerly 365daysdone & 365kate. 

gallery

#40 floralprint

floralprint

• Master Artist
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:08 AM

Vee - ermahgersh thank you so much! I know I've talked to you in your most epic gallery and

through PM since you left me that comment, but geez, ya makin' me blush ovah heah! :hug:
Once again, your graphics are absolutely fab, and I appreciate your loveliness :edward:

kate - *squeezes* Thanks bunches you majestic queen. :queen:

You have the most gorgeous simplistic style and to read that you've admired my stuff around the site is like whaaaaa-? :P

Thanks for dropping by!!! xx

Posted Image

#41 niika

niika

believe me, i'm lying

• Master Artist
  • 7,573 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:41 AM

I was so impressed by your gallery I just had to come by and leave a comment! 

Honestly, some of your work is GRAD worthy, let alone junior-artist worthy! I really really hope you get a promotion soon because I truly think you deserve it. :) First off, I am SOOO happy you are a fellow stock artist like me! :D I absolutely adore your graphics so much. In particular, +this graphic is amazing so keep making more things like this! The colouring, composition, contrast, just EVERYTHING is perfect! :wub: Also, the simplicity of +this is also so beautiful. 

Keep up the AWESOME work!

niika <3

i1k3m8.png

hi, i'm niika (:  ♥ 

#42 amour.toujours

amour.toujours
  • Veteran Artist
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:30 AM

I'm in love with your banner compositions, I think they are your strongest section. That first blend is really pretty as well. My only advice is to play a bit more with coloring as it looks a bit monochromatic to me, a little more vibrance would make your gallery stand out (even) more. I will check back to see more pretties ^_^ 

#43 floralprint

floralprint

• Master Artist
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:38 PM

niika - :worship: Yes, stock users unite!! I dabble with textures as bases, but I can never abandon my one true love :sean:
I'm blown away by your lovely comment, I've seriously been admiring you since 2009 when I first came around this site, so the encouragement really means a lot to me.
Thanks a million for stopping by!! :D

amour.toujours - Thanks so much for dropping in! I'm glad you like that blend, it took a million years :P
Thanks for the tip on coloring!! :hug: That part always feels the hardest to me and I'm always tweaking it way past when I probably should lol. I'm gonna work on separating out my colors so they're more defined and vibrant! :D

Posted Image

#44 sunblock

sunblock
  • 672 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:03 PM

Hi. Just popping in to say I'm in love with this. Keep up the awesome work! And never stop updating. 

XaWFJf1.png

#45 afterglow

afterglow

in the heart of hearts

• Veteran Artist
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:41 AM

hey ashley! sorry for the delay, but i am here with your crit now ^_^

to be completely honest, i'm not quite sure what to tell you. you've got a great style that i really quite admire, and i think you'll go far if you keep experimenting and expanding and practising. the foundations here are very good, and i really love some of the things that you've done. so what i'll do is i'll go through each graphic and tell you what can be improved/removed and then i can perhaps do a general summary, but you've got a great thing going here, and you'll certainly go far.

header

remove it, you've made better since then and the main text is shoved too far to the left and doesn't match

banners

[1] loooooove this! gorgeous gorgeous, and the text is so nice. i would just watch your saturation and bring it down a tad, their highlights and lowlights are a touch too orange/purple but i really love this colouring. keep.

[2] again, lovely! it's great that you are an old-school stock user but your text is a bit off. 'human' could probably use either a lighter font colour or a gradient overlay to make it more readable. keep.

[3] ahhh love the simplicity. however, i think this has too much text and 'vices' is difficult to read. i would have made it bigger and again, lighter, so it could be better read. keep experimenting with text! keep.

[4] i love howl's moving castle so i love this too haha but it is too chaotic? if it had been lightened, it might be better but i can't really pinpoint what's happening in this. the text is great though. remove.

[5] nice colouring, but not very interesting. it doesn't have enough depth. remove.

[6] same as above. it's quite bland in comparison to the rest of your gallery. remove.

[7] again, same as above. the text should have been bigger in this too. remove.

blends

[1] the frame stock was very popular years ago when i was a junior (like 2008 dear lord) and i don't think it works well in most graphics now either. this is weaker than your other blends, and though the text and the hard cutting are nice, you've done better. remove.

[2] love this! so old school <3 you seem to do really well when you use stock, but use it creatively and perhaps with a texture or two, but not so well when you restrict yourself to textures only. experiment with them, but keep this in mind. keep.

[3] adore this!! quality of it much higher than your rank tbh! definitely keep.

sigs

[1] oh i quite like this. i would brighten it up though and make the text bigger, maybe add a drop shadow? the yellow/purples really work in this because it's dark! keep.

[2] hmm i'm not sure how i feel - on the one hand, it's nice, but on the other, it isn't special and isn't quite you. too much text as well. remove.

[3] love! this is a case of you using textures well, so i def recommend to keep playing with them as well, but you must keep flow of the graphic in mind. textures are just as important as stock for mood/feel of a graphic. i would make the text on this bigger for readability. keep.

[4] weak text, and comp is just ok. needs brightness, the skin tones are too orange to match with the blue of the bg. remove.

chapter images

remove both :P you've done a lot better in your other graphics and these are bland. CIs are a weird shape but try to use more than one stock image or texture in them, and more people like in your other things - i think your style would be quite suited to them.

icons

[1] super cute and i love how old school they are. i would just watch for repeating light textures a bit too much, and bump up the contrast so they don't look so murky. keep.

[2] nice, but the middle large icon is just okay. i'm on the fence about this, though i am leaning towards remove - you can do better!

[3] hahah i love spirited away too and that last icon is gorgeous, but the first one has text difficult to read and they are all an odd shape. colouring is gorgeous though! remove.

so i think your main issue is text -- perhaps you go too small here or there, and it can be a little difficult to read, but you have got a great grasp on where it needs to go and you are creative with it, so i wouldn't worry too much. experiment with drop shadows (though don't go with the default it gives you, mk? try different things) and other things but for your style, i would stay away from stroke. it'd be too harsh against your bases. um??? i have no idea if this is helpful haha but i honestly, truly believe that with practise and experimentation, your style will go to great places. you've got an eye for graphics, and it shows :) ya just gotta keep working at it <3

i hope i wasn't too harsh, and that i was able to help. please PM me if you have any comments or questions, and i would be happy to give you feedback or challenges if you like ^_^ i'm so excited to see what you come up with in the future!

xoxo ayesha

ayesha
available for requests

Posted Image

( what a wonderful existence )

kay is the world's most gorgeous being 

#46 floralprint

floralprint

• Master Artist
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:28 PM

sunblock - oh, you!! stop it, really, you're too kind :D I've been trying to update as best I can. isn't it the worst when your muse starts slipping?? :P thanks for the encouragement, you da best :hug: <33

afterglow - ayeshaaaaaa :hug: thank you so much for your insight, I've read through this several times now and made reference of all your little tips and stuff :D it was a big help! in regards to one of those chapter images, that was actually three different pieces of stock I made into a manip so it only looked like one pic :P the main reason I kept it was because I worked so hard turning the daylight stock pics into night-time colored stock for a request, but I see how it looks weaker in comparison to the rest :P Again, thank you so much for your help, especially bringing to light my issues with text and letting me know which pieces to ditch! <3 :edward: :loves: :dumbles:

Posted Image

#47 hannibal

hannibal

eat the rude

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:33 PM

Hey Ashley! I'm here from the Gallery critique thread with your Crit  :dumbles:

I just want to start off by saying how much I love your graphics!! Especially your sigs, the colouring on +this is absolutely to die for!

In general, I think your comp is spot on - the focal point on +this is slightly off centre, but the rest are great. I love your use of stock in your banners, you've really figured out how to make it all flow together seamlessly, which is amazing! You don't seem to be scared of experimenting with your comp either, and that really pays off.

You seem to have text pretty much down as well! I love the way you use fancy fonts sparingly, so it doesn't appear overbearing. +This is an excellent example of amazing text use - it took me a long time to get the hang of text, so I'm very jealous!

I've noticed a lot of yellow/purple colouring in your graphics - and it looks gorgeous! You've really mastered that beautiful glowy colouring. Just be careful that your colours don't contrast too much, and that they flow into each other without any harsh lines - the gold patches on the skin of your characters in +this banner stand out a little too much, and it can make the images look a lower quality than they actually are.

Overall, I think you should keep doing what you're doing! You have an excellent collection of graphics here. Keep experimenting with stock vs. textures, and your comp in general, and maybe try different colour combinations that you aren't as comfortable with. And definitely watch out for overly harsh colouring!

~ Georgie  :loves:

This is my design

Posted Image

Ranier & Pascal -- Georgie -- UNAvailable, PM first -- Previously Schultz. -- Salazar

#48 amoretti

amoretti

as long as you love me;

• Master Artist
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:09 PM

hey ashley! 

i really love your style. you're so creative with everything and your 

use of invert is soooo inspiring. my favourite graphic is the first

banner - it's so different to anything else i have seen.

congratulations on your promo! you're gonna rock your new rank!  :queen:  

xo jordan

2vbs8w0.png 

jordan | not available - making a baby | previously .kapowi 

| new gallery | hpff | artist q & a | 

#49 afterglow

afterglow

in the heart of hearts

• Veteran Artist
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:13 PM

ahhh i am so excited you've been promoted! it is so freaking well-deserved, and your gallery is even more gorgeous than the last time i dropped in here :wub: i'm so happy to see you grow and i'll be even happier to see your new pretties <3

congrats, ashley, and enjoy the new colour ^_^

ayesha
available for requests

Posted Image

( what a wonderful existence )

kay is the world's most gorgeous being 

#50 catharsis

catharsis

my world is reduced to a single instinct: survive

• Veteran Artist
  • 3,200 posts
  • Software:Paint

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:01 PM

Congrats on the promo! :D +this in particular is amazing. :wub: So well deserved!

-- crystal moccasins, bionic cheese --

i live, i die, I LIVE AGAIN. (except probably not because i'm really busy sorry)

Posted Image

#51 sail boat

sail boat

florence is bae

• 1,859 posts
  • Software:Elements

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:26 PM

CONGRATS ON SENIOR :dance: SOOO WELL DESERVED

eekHpi9.png

MEGGIE

Posted Image

e. rinaldi + r. everard-xin on pw // thank you to my bae vee for this amazing set

#52 hannibal

hannibal

eat the rude

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:35 AM

Congrats on the promo, Ashley!!

This is really well deserved :loves:

BfvaJth.png

This is my design

Posted Image

Ranier & Pascal -- Georgie -- UNAvailable, PM first -- Previously Schultz. -- Salazar

#53 klutzy_kara

klutzy_kara

Zayn's #1 Bae

• Master Artist
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:19 PM

Congrats on the promo Ashley! It's so well-deserved! I hope you enjoy your (slightly different) color <3 

I have been seeing your graphics dominating in challenges and YBW and have been meaning to stop by!

Your banners have such lovely compositions. I love the way that you use stock! +This blend is also amazing! 

I also adore your chapter images. The coloring and composition is so well-done! Love your work!

​I can't wait to see more from you!

i'm kara and i'm klutzy, obviously

Posted Image  

gallery |  available for requests | artist q&a

#54 floralprint

floralprint

• Master Artist
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:27 AM

Georgie - ahhhhhhh thanks a million much for your critique! :D Your tips on coloring and the focal point/comp issue were really helpful! I appreciate you stopping by, thanks for all your lovely words! :queen:

jordan - thank you so much, I was really trying to step outside my comfort zone with that banner, it means a lot that you like my 'style' (I quote because I don't think I've quite got it down :P ) thanks again! :dumbles:

ayesha - eeeee tysm lovely :hug: you really helped me earlier this month w your critique so that contributed to the promo :P thanks for stopping in!!

daisy - thanks so much, girl! :edward: glad you like the banner, I worked really hard :P

meggie - omgosh thanks so much, that image is gorgeous! :drop: puttin it in muh profile! :dumbles:

georgie - THANK YOU GEORGIE you're amazing and so is that image :loves: :loves:

kara - hey, thank you so much!! :worship: I really appreciate your kind words, thanks for stopping by!! :hug: :kitty:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users