#19 floralprint

floralprint

resident studio ghibli enthusiast

• Master Artist
  • 1,557 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:45 PM

hey, varsha! i'm ashley :dumbles:
i've seen you around the site and wanted to come say hi. i love your gallery (i wish my graphics had looked this good when i first started!!)
i think comp is your strong suit, i love +this and +this very well done! <3
from the looks of it, you're really getting the hang of things, i can't wait to see what else you come up with :D
keep it up, it's nice to meet you :loves:

| ash | available for requests |
Posted Image
| gallery | up for grabs |

#20 snicket!

snicket!

i like superheroes and cheques with lots of zeroes on them

• Staff Moderator
  • 2,321 posts
  • Vault Points:787

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:45 AM

hi hi varsha! jade here with your critique c: you listed your weak points as text focal point, image quality and filtering so i'll cover those :'D also the improvement in your gallery from the bottom to the top is immense i love it (btw i started this a few days ago and then came back to it so some of the graphics here are out of date - still gets the point across though ;) )

focal point/text
honestly, i kind of feel like you've got focal point down in terms of your text - i particularly think +this is brilliant - your text is close to the focal point, looks interesting, and is a readable colour. i think the top two sigs and top and third-oned-down banners are really indicative that you have this down :P you also have it down in +this chapter image - more than the other one; on the bottom CI, the text is high up and the image quality lets it down anyway. it's pretty clear in the Krum CI that you've thought about where text should go, made it readable, etc. basically, i don't think focal point is a glaring issue. in +this banner, your text stretches out further than the people, and that splits your focal point (in this: O________O fashion) - but i also know it's your first animation, so i'll give you a pass :P
in terms of text on its own, i think you've definitely got placement and font colour down. i would caution against using fancy fonts for small text like in +this because it makes the text somewhat unreadable, however; a lot of people use default fonts (times new roman, georgia, arial) which i think would be more worthwhile for you to play with.
this section is kind of rambly, but i'm sort of struggling to find things; i think it's pretty clear from your gallery that you're improving with every graphic you make, so i don't want to say something pointless. :P basically, i think as long you keep doing what you're doing in terms of placement and style, you'll keep improving \o/

image quality/filtering
i've put these two together because i'm not sure if one is affecting the other, really (i don't know your process :'D) . i can definitely see some image quality issues - +the girls have blurry faces, and the black widow sig is also fairly low quality. my first suggestion is to try making a new layer from visible when you're done with the graphic, sharpening, and then lowering the opacity of that layer t get it appropriately sharp; you could then making a new layer, getting the blur tool, and blurring the skin a little to stop weird pixellation. i'm not entirely sure if that'll help, but if it doesn't, do feel free to shoot me a PM and we can work through it :'D you also have some blurriness in +these icons, but i think maybe the colouring is causing that - you could have set a colouring layer on a strange blend mode (maybe colour burn?) or it could be because you used screencaps and not HQ images. (i know you're using HQ images so y'know).
honestly, i would try taking off certain colouring layers to see if that helps, and if it doesn't, definitely try the sharpening tip c;

colouring/contrast
honestly, i really like your colouring at this stage - your newest banner is fancy as heck ;'). but i can see it in other graphics, so contrast! this is when your blacks are black and your whites are white (or a very light blue you can sometimes get away with). you have contrast issues +here - see how the darkest part of the banner are purple? and +this, where their faces are one uniform brown with no highlights. honestly, this is pretty normal when you're colouring, but i think it's making your graphics look murkier than they need to be and you have such pretty colouring anyway, it'd be a shame to ruin it with mukriness.
there are two ways i think you can fix this. the first is that before you colouring, you could put a black-white gradient map on luminosity; this is better if you want your blacks to stay dark. alternatively, you could put on a selective colouring layer and, in the whites section, lower the blacks when the graphics are a little too murky. this is really a minor point, but i think it can help bring up graphics levels up, which is always important \o/ it'll also help with the image quality issue too, i think ;'D

overall
i definitely think you've got a strong gallery going, especially in terms of the technical things- i struggled to find things to mention because your improvement is showing with every graphic you make! i think your weakness definitely is in image quality (like i said, if it's still iffy, shoot me a pm), and also a little in contrast; your text is improving enough that i'm not worried about it ;) also, i don't do clean-outs (because i suck at them) but i think +this and your header are the weakest pieces in your gallery; you can definitely do better so it might be worthwhile to take out the former, and redo a header (which also will make your gallery look like it's been revamped \o/ ). overall, work on image quality and contrast and i think you'll do great \o/

if you're feeling a secondary crit later on, feel free to shoot me a profile comment when you're ready and if you've got any further questions or issues or just want to chat, just shoot me a pm anytime c:

Edited by page thirteen., 20 June 2016 - 10:46 AM.

J A D E !
kickstart my rock n' roll fantasy / previously page thirteen.
sigcolour.png
available via pm / crooked kind / q&a

#21 RedHairGinny

RedHairGinny
  • Senior Artist
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:30 PM

Ashley: Thank you so much for stopping by, I'm glad you liked the gallery! ^_^

And it's nice to meet you too :')))

Jade: Thanks for the awesome critique!!! I didn't think about the contrast before, but now that you've pointed it out, I do see the murkiness!!! Oops

Definitely going to work on all the issues you pointed out, and thanks again for the time :D it really helps.

Varsha. Wanna-be writer and Chaser at the Appleby Arrows! Malazan Book of the Fallen <3

Posted Image

Gallery - free.  My blog- DropsOfShudder

#22 nancy drew.

nancy drew.

it's locked.

• Graduate Artist
  • 943 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:40 PM

Hey Varsha! I'm Rachel. :) I'm trying to pop around to all the member artist galleries, just to say hi and take a look at my fellow MAs, so here I am!

Okay, so, you're pretty darn good at this graphics game! I'm really wowed by +this banner, because not only is the animation like wow, but you've got great coloring, comp, and text too! I'm pretty envious of it, to be frank. :P I think +this sig has great comp as well, and it's really clean. I know I'm up against it for YBW this month, and I gotta tell you, I wouldn't even be mad if I lost to it. All of your stuff is really pretty, honestly.

I can't wait to see more of your stuff! I wouldn't be at all surprised if you got promoted soon. Keep it up! 

r  a  c  h  e  l

Posted Image

girl sleuth.  || beautiful set from beautiful bex!

#23 RedHairGinny

RedHairGinny
  • Senior Artist
  • 240 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:25 AM

Hey Rachel, thanks for visiting and I'm so glad you liked my gallery!

There are some really good YBWs up this month and that makes me excited :D

Anyway thanks again ^__^

Varsha. Wanna-be writer and Chaser at the Appleby Arrows! Malazan Book of the Fallen <3

Posted Image

#24 TreacleTart

TreacleTart

Queen of The Squee Thread

• Senior Artist
  • 1,674 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:08 PM

Hi Varsha,

I've seen you around lately on TDA and thought I'd drop by and check out your gallery. 

I was immediately struck by just how good your graphics are. Your work really looks to me like you're farther along than a member artist, especially considering that stunning animated piece. Like how do you even do that? It's a mystery to me. 

I think some of the highlights for me were the animated banner, the suits banner, and the Viktor Krum CI. The animated banner is just so impressive because I know how difficult animation can be and you've definitely handled it like a pro. The suits banner is lovely because of the nice pop of green and the lovely texturing that you've done on it. And the Viktor Krum CI, I like because the images are clear and cleanly cut, the background really fits, and the texturing that you've laid over it adds just the right affect. Great work! 

If I had to give you one piece of concrit, I think one thing that stood out to me, particularly if you look at it section by section is the placement of the characters. On all 4 of your banners, the characters are in the exact same spot...a little bit off center. The same thing with both the CI and signature section. I'd love to see you add a bit of variety by doing a banner with multiple characters on it or loading your images off center. 

All in all, I think your banner is stunning though and I have to imaging that a promotion is coming soon. Keep up the great work and I'll definitely pop back in later to look at your new work.

:hug:

~Kaitlin

Kaitlin - My Gallery / Available

Posted Image

Gorgeous signature set by the incomparable Enigma

#25 RedHairGinny

RedHairGinny
  • Senior Artist
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 03:13 AM

Hey Kaitlin, thank you so much for visiting!!! I'm glad you liked the animated banner it was a bit of an experiment!

I'll keep in mind what you said, def gonna try new placements next time! 

Thanks again :D

Posted Image

#26 archer.

archer.

nope

• Senior Artist
  • 1,820 posts
  • Vault Points:170

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:45 PM

hey varsha 

you have a really nice gallery going here. your use of text is very good and your hard-cutting is envious. idk how you do it but i love it. your coloring is simple and beautiful. my favorite is this one. it's so simple yet clean cut and professional. i do like the stormborn one, too because dany is the most badass boss there is the seven kingdom. your jon snow banner is also really well done and i like the composition you did for the text. keep parcticing your skills because you are getting better. if you ever need any help with anything don't hesitate to pm me for any advice. i'd love to help out in any way i can.

Angie is Available 

YbezebKi.gif

GGPbUuO.png

sig by my little(Vault713)so cuteee Gallery

#27 Stille Nacht

Stille Nacht

Off Topic Mod

• 684 posts
  • Vault Points:197

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:26 PM

Hi Varsha! 

I love your gallery!!! Such a beautiful variety of graphics!!! 

I really think you did a wonderful job with your banners! I LOVE the banner that is animated! It's truly inspirational! 

All of the graphics you've made are well composed. I like the colors that you use and I can see some distinctiveness in style coming through. I really think you did a fabulous job on the Malfoy Graphic and the hard cuts on it... STUNNING! 

I look forward to seeing what else you create! :)

Posted Image

|| Available - PM First || Gallery || Jenn || Photography ||

*Amazing Signature by: milominderbinder*

#28 hamylton.

hamylton.

TDA's Accountant

• Vault Moderator
  • 812 posts
  • Vault Points:1381

Posted 07 August 2016 - 06:59 PM

Hi Varsha! 

Wow, I'm really impressed with your gallery despite you only having it for a few months! I wouldn't be surprised if we saw you flying up the ranks pretty soon! 

You have such great comp that it's making me very jealous and your ability to use both stock and textures is amazing! You have such a great focal point in all your graphics too which can sometimes be hard to achieve! 

You model choice and image quality is great and they all fit nicely into the graphics which is something I find hard to do! People just don't seem to want to go into mine :P

You colouring is amazing, particularly +here and +here, and your text matches in with the colouring so well! 

Speaking of text, you are very good at picking fonts that I'm starting to get jealous of that! There's so many out there to choose from and so many that just don't look good on a graphic. You seem to have a knack for it though which is great! 

You animated banner is so good!  You've gone beyond just putting a gif into a graphic and made the entire banner animated which is something that I have always wished I could do but have been too intimidated to!

My overall favourites have got to be +this, +this, +this, and +this! I just love everything about them, especially that last one which is my all time favourite in your gallery!

Amy

amy. +watching it burn previously caomoyl

vBHhsb.png

| +Artist Q&A | beautiful signature by starbuck.! | +Trophy Shelf |

#29 RedHairGinny

RedHairGinny
  • Senior Artist
  • 240 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:34 PM

Angie, Jenn and Amy!

Thank you so much for dropping by, you wonderful people <3 and I'm glad you liked it!!!!!! 

Love, Varsha.

Posted Image

#30 TreacleTart

TreacleTart

Queen of The Squee Thread

• Senior Artist
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:16 PM

lroN20a.gif

Hey Varsha!

Dropping by to leave you a little bit of Holiday love on your gallery.

I’m always amazed when I look at your work. It’s so crisp and clean and you do such a good job of using different colors and experimenting with comp. Your texture use is particularly strong, so good work there.

My favorite piece in your entire gallery is your suits banner. The green texturing, the comp, the coloring, all of it is sooo good. I’d love to see you work with more of those bold colors.

Your animation is also on point, which is super impressive for an MA. Your simplicity & elegance banner is really good and the frames all flow really smoothly which is tough to do.

Keep up the good work in the New Year! Wishing you the happiest of holidays! :hug:

~Kaitlin

Kaitlin - My Gallery / Available

Posted Image

Gorgeous signature set by the incomparable Enigma

#31 Scottie Elisabeth

Scottie Elisabeth

Always needing banners.

• 1,179 posts
  • Software:Elements
  • Vault Points:89

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:43 AM

Happy New Year!

I saw you hadn't updated your gallery since October so I thought I'd pop by and give you a fresh crit for a fresh year to maybe get you inspired again. You're clearly talented and I'd love to see what you come up with next!  :wub:

Okay, starting with your icons! You've a real eye for placement, imo. Your icons feel natural and and are so lovely. I think my favorite is the first one, with the girl on the chair with her legs propped up. It's very story-telly and I think would look lovely as someone's icon. It's very dramatic. Also, I love purple, so I particularly love the WORK icon.

OMG your banners!!!  :drop:  :drop:  :drop: They're beautiful!!! Please update soon because I just know there's a promotion in your future and I think you're only eligible if you've updated within the last month. Your animated banner is TO DIE FOR! It's just absolutely beautiful. I love the composition and it's beautiful as a flat banner or as animated, which I think is very charming and difficult to pull off. Your composition in general is beautiful with these. I think your Jon and Sansa banners are neatly put together and charming, and your Blair and Suits banners are minimalist and absolutely striking. And you're a genius with your text. It always seems to go really well with the moods of your banners. Beautiful stuff, truly! You're so talented.

Signatures! They're all gorgeous. You really seem to have an eye for this! I love the Daenerys the best, but I super love the background of the Piku one and I really dig the coloring on the Black Widow sig! I appreciate that you play around with different styles and aren't afraid to try things!

Your chapter images! Wow! The Heaven CI is absolutely g.o.r.g.e.o.u.s!!!!  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  It's just so beautiful, and I love the coloring. With the Sherlocked banner, I really adore how you've mirrored the colorful lines at the bottom with the lines in his hair and suit in the top image. It's so clever and really makes the CI interesting without crowding it.

And what can I even say about your blends? They're absolutely phenomenal! And I love those little star things you use in the first two! But I love the TDA blend the most. It's soooo visually stunning.

Basically your gallery is golden and I want more! New year, more graphics, please!!!  :happy:

Formerly Dark_Angel92 // Writer. // No good at graphics.

Posted Image

Beautiful, awesome, super amazing set by accio!

#32 RedHairGinny

RedHairGinny
  • Senior Artist
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:49 AM

I haven't been here in the longest time, real life caught up and a bunch of things happened all at once :/

I'm so sorry I haven't been able to reply but thanks a ton, guys!

Kaitlin: I suppose it's a little late to wish you for the new year seeing as it's more than half done now xD But thank you so, so much for dropping by :D I really hope I can start graphic-ing again

Scottie: Thanks for dropping by! You really made my day :) and I'm really motivated to start making graphics again!!

Posted Image

#33 theodosia

theodosia
  • Senior Artist
  • 226 posts
  • Vault Points:47

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:04 PM

hello varsha! im here for what i think is the first time to let you know that your gallery is so pretty!!!!!  :happy: 

your blending skills are seriously on point, and i love how much your colouring varies but still manages to make your gallery feel very cohesive.

your banner comp is very nice as well -- it's just that your text tends to mostly be in that same spot? that one area, in the center or just slightly to the side. i'd recommend cleaning your gallery by removing one or two of those, just to make it feel a bit more different. i love that you experiment with text, though!

i'll be back soon to see how your gallery progresses!! :loves:

love from niki <33

niki!

semi-available (pm first) | photoshop cs6

ROAgPX6.png

(hello my old heart) // (stock pack)

#34 RedHairGinny

RedHairGinny
  • Senior Artist
  • 240 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:56 AM

Hey Niki! Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for the pointers :') I hope to keep making newer stuff and I shall definitely try experimenting with different text positions!

Posted Image

#35 Amortentia1992

Amortentia1992

"and though she be but little, she is fierce"

• Critique Corner Moderator
  • 695 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:42 AM

Hello. I Love your graphics. Your style to coloring is really cool I love how subtle it is. like this+ is a great example of the soft yet vibrant coloring you use and I love how it comes across. I also really loved This blend+. I am trying to master the technique you used for the pictures under Malfoy (unsuccessfully as yet) But I'm just awed by not only your implementation of it in the blend but how it is only one section of the graphic. Very cool. I look forward to seeing more of you. Also congratulations on your Promo.

Taylor

Previously BrokenButterfly

My Gallery+ | My FFN Page+ -M

Posted Image

Beautiful Set by Enigma @ TDA ||  Available | Please PM

#36 RedHairGinny

RedHairGinny
  • Senior Artist
  • 240 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:14 AM

Hey Taylor!

Thank you so much for your review, it means a lot :')

I'm really glad you liked my gallery...

thanks again :D

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users