Using the Up For Grabs Section
Welcome to the Up For Grabs (UFG) user guide! The UFG forum+ is a place where you can find ready-made graphics to for your story, forum accounts, wallpapers and more! Artists can also offer up their own graphics for members to claim.
Usually this is a quicker process than requesting, and you will be surprised at what you find in this section! If you would like a detailed guide to the UFG forums, please click here+.
Claiming a UFG Graphic
Do's and Don't's
- Do reply in the UFG thread once you've found a graphic you'd like to claim. (This is for Story Graphics - banners, chapter images and story sets and RPG graphics only).
- Do post again to accept the graphic once the artist has replied/made your requested changes. This is so that the artist and moderators know that the graphic is no longer available.
- Do rehost and credit your graphic from the UFG. Please make sure to rehost your graphic (imgur, postimage are some of the most popular hosting sites), and add a visible credit somewhere within your story summary/signature/etc. A note saying 'banner by Username@TDA is fine.
You will have 7 days to collect your completed graphic before a moderator will PM you a reminder. After another 7 days, if you have not yet posted in the topic to collect, the artist may remove the graphic and repost the original version again in the Up For Grabs section, and you will receive 1 warning point. If there is some reason why you will be away and unable to visit the request for more than seven days, please post to say that that is the case, and moderators will take it into consideration.
After pick up, graphics must be used within 10 days, and for a minimum of 4 weeks (if there are extraordinary circumstances we are happy to consider this case by case via PM, please PM any UFG or Staff moderator about this). If the graphic isn't used in that time, or isn't used for a reasonable amount of time, then we will consider not opening future requests for that same character/story, so please be warned.
- Do ask permission from the artist who made your current graphic if you are claiming a UFG graphic for a site/forum/profile that you have already requested or claimed a UFG graphic for.
- Do ask permission from the artist who made your current banner/chapter image if you are claiming a story graphic but you already have a banner made for you. This can easily be done by sending a PM to that artist and asking them politely.
- Don't modify UFG graphics in any way. Graphics from the UFG are made to be used as they are, unless you're asking the artist for small changes on story graphics. If you are dissatisfied with the result of your finished graphic, you need to speak to the artist rather than edit or change the graphic yourself (this includes the size/dimensions of the graphic).
- Don't fill out a form for graphics in the Forum Graphics UFG+ section. This forum works on the basis of 'grab-and-go', meaning you can simply take the graphic you want and use it, without needing to claim them. However, you still have to follow the rules each artist has given in their post, meaning you will have to host the graphic yourself and give the appropriate credit!
- Don't hold multiple graphics for the same story/chapter/forum account. The advantage of UFG is that you get to see the banner before it's edited for you; choose the ONE that works best for your story and leave the rest for others. Holding multiple graphics can make more work for the moderators and artists and is also unfair to other members who may want that banner as well.
What if the artist hasn't replied to my UFG request?
- If it's been 3 days or more since you posted, send the artist a polite PM to let them know your post is there. They may not have seen it!
Posting UFG Graphics
- Find the appropriate place(s) where you would like to place a graphic UFG (for example 'Story Graphics - Character', 'Canon Characters'+).
- Click "Start a New Topic".
- Give your topic a relevant title. The title should include a short description of the graphics in the thread, including the theme. For example: '1 banner, Harry/Ginny (bright/romantic)'.
- Add more information in the topic description. It should include your graphics rank (member, junior, senior, staff) and also the date that you posted your topic. This date needs to be changed every time you update your UFG topic - when you add in new graphics or remove claimed ones. For example: 'Rank - Staff, last updated - 5th Aug 2015'.
- In your post, please use this guideline for people to claim the graphics. This is for banners/chapter images - you can modify this if you'd like.
Graphic you would like to claim: Your story title: Link to your story: Do you/have you had a banner or chapter image? Do you have permission to re-request? Penname on graphic(yes/no): Quote: Requested Modifications (if any):
Do's and Don't's
- Do make sure your UFG graphics follow TDA's content rules. They still apply even if you're not displaying the graphics in your gallery: this includes no nudity, no smoking, drugs, mature language, displays of violence, or other mature themes (TDA is a 15+ site).
- Do host each image you post in the UFG separately. This includes icon sets - please upload icons individually.
- Do track your UFG topics - this can be done by clicking the 'Follow This Topic' button in the top right hand corner of your post, to the right of the topic title. Tracking your topics lets you know when someone posts in them, and is the best way to manage your responsibility as an artist to keep tabs on claims made for your graphics. It will automatically send you a TDA notification or email (whichever you have your profile's settings set to) when someone posts in your thread, rather than you having to check them all. Moderators may not tell you when a graphic has a claim on it - it's up to you to keep tabs on your threads.
- Don't bump your UFG topics. Bumping means double-posting (instead, please edit your post by clicking 'edit' in the bottom-right of your post) or posting 'randomly' (for example, a post saying 'I've just added 3 new banners!' is considered bumping).
- Don't post more than one thread per subforum. Instead, edit your new graphics into your current post, or PM a UFG or Staff Moderator and ask to have your current thread deleted so that you can make a new one.
- Don't post any graphics that you don't have the original, editable file saved for. If you don't have the editable file, you can't make any changes the requester asks for which can complicate things!
Can I post graphics in the UFG if I'm not an artist?
- Unfortunately not - you must be an artist (of any rank) to post in the UFG.
Can I give a graphic to more than one person? What if it's slightly different?
- No - if the graphic looks the same/very similar to a graphic you've already provided to somebody, please don't offer it to anyone else. The exception to this is forum graphics (avatars/icons, signatures, and so on) that are not edited for the requester.
Can my thread include more than one graphic?
- Threads may have more than one graphic, but they must be of the same variety (i.e., all banners, all sets, all avatars/icons, etc.). If you have created more graphics that fit in a subforum where you already have a thread, you may either edit them into that thread or ask to have your original thread deleted and then create a new one.
Can I ask people to come and claim my graphics?
- Constantly posting and asking people to claim your graphics isn't allowed, however you may promote your UFG graphics (please see 'Promoting UFG Graphics' below).
My topic has disappeared! Where's it gone?
- Any topic that hasn't been updated (i.e. posted in or updated) in 6 months will be removed.
Promoting UFG Graphics
Do's and Don't's
- Do promote your graphics if you are a Junior, Senior, Graduate or Staff Artist. You can do this by replying to an open request with the link to your UFG and, if you would like to, you may include the graphic itself in your reply.
- Do promote your graphics if you are a Member Artist, however please only do so in the Member Artist or Specific Artist request sections.
- Do look out for UFG or Requesting Arena (RA) moderators promoting your graphics. If they think a graphic is appropriate for a requester, they may guide the requester towards your UFG - so make sure you've tracked your topic (see 'Posting UFG Graphics - Do's and Don't's' above)!
- Don't promote other artists' UFG or graphics.
Accepting a Promoted UFG Graphic
Do's and Don't's
- Do post in your original request if you are accepting a promoted graphic. A post saying 'I'll use this, please!' will be fine. Then, follow the link to the thread where you can post your new claim. There will be a form for you to fill out (yes, we know, we like forms a lot here) and then the artist should simply fill your request and make the changes you require.
- Do post in the artist's UFG thread to accept the graphic once the artist has replied/made your requested changes. This is so that the artist and moderators know that the graphic is no longer available.
- Don't feel obliged to accept the promoted graphic. If you don't want to use the graphic suggested, simply post a reply asking to keep your request open.
What if the artist hasn't replied to my form and posted the edited graphic?
- If it's been 3 days or more since you posted the form, send the artist a polite PM to let them know your post is there. They may not have seen it!
If you have any further questions, please feel free to send a personal message to a Staff Moderator (a full list can be found here+) or Admin (a list can be found here+) or feel free to ask in the Question & Answer Center+ or the shoutbox on the main forum page.
Further information regarding the UFG can be found in the topic Up For Grabs FAQs+.
Edited by starbuck., 27 February 2018 - 02:42 PM.
updated february 27