Requesting Graphics at The Dark Arts
Welcome to the Requesting Arena+ user guide! Requesting graphics is an important part of TDA - many of TDA's artists began as requesters!
Step-by-Step - general guidelines
- Make a topic in the relevant forum (it's split up by Story Graphics (banners, chapter images, story sets) / RPG and Forum Graphics (forum signatures&icons, character library images, tumblr roleplay requests) / Other Graphics (wallpapers, headers, layouts etc))
- If you have a specific artist in mind, please post it in the 'specific artist request'
- Give a short description of the graphic you want made in the title ex. Banner for a romantic Ron/Hermione story
- When posting, fill out the relevant form (linked further down in this post). Once it's posted, a moderator will check whether everything has been filled out correctly and mark it as [open]
- If no one has taken your request after 48 hours (2 days), you may bump your request by making a post stating 'bump'
- If you're requesting a specific artist, you may PM them with the link to the request.
- After picking up a graphic, always rehost and credit, and post in the request to let us know you've taken the graphic.
Do's and Don't's
- ALWAYS request by filling out the relevant form [find them linked below]
- Provide clear evidence that the story or forum profile for which you are requesting actually exists [see FAQ] - this means providing link and screencapture.
- Wait 48 hours before bumping.
- When requesting changes, be as clear and concise as possible [for an example see below]
- Give the artists time to fill the request.
- PM the artist if you want to make changes to your request like the title or subtitle or mood, so the artist doesn't have to remake the graphic afterwards.
- Be polite
- REHOST AND CREDIT the graphic after pick-up
- Only request one graphic type at the time. You can request banner + chapter images for the same story at the same time, but not two banners for two different stories. You can also request a story set (in the same request - no need to make two separate ones) but limit is three graphics per one story (for example: banner + chapter image + advertising banner).
- You may use requested graphics on multiple sites provided it's the same graphic on each site (for example: using a banner for both HPFF and HPFT)
- Once the request has been filled: pick up within 7 days
- Follow our Copyright Rules++ when providing your own images.
- Mark your request as [open] yourself. This is the job of the moderators
- Provide personal pictures in your request.
- Request a graphic via the PM system, as this makes it a lot harder for us to control the requests for copyrighted images. If you've posted a request, you may PM the artist you've requested to check out your request.
- Mass PM artists to ask them to fill your request as that is impolite.
Tumblr Roleplay Requests Rules and Guidelines
What type of graphics can be requested?
- Icons for your character/muse FC. Please keep in mind no more than 20 icons can be requested in one request.
- Promotional images for your blog. [ examples: here, here & here ]
- Backgrounds for your blog. [ examples: here, here ]
- Edits specific to your character, like picspam, a playlist graphic, etc.
VERY IMPORTANT! when requesting any graphic, make sure the images you provide follow our copyright rules. If you want to use artwork made by someone for your tumblr background, we need to see written permission by the artist who made the artwork.
Also, here at TDA, we always require the artist who has filled the request to be credited. Not doing so will put you on the blacklist and you won't be allowed to request here anymore.
- To credit icons & blog backgrounds, please add the credit in your rules/guidelines page (like: artist name @ TDA). Any request for icons & blog backgrounds will need a link to this page prior to it being filled, so we can make sure you have a place to properly credit.
- To credit promotional images & edits, please add a credit in the specific post (artist name @ tda and if possible, a link to our site!). To ensure the graphics get used in a timely manner (that means, between 1-3 days after pick-up), and to ensure the proper credit has been given, we ask anyone requesting a promo or an edit to provide a link to the post using the graphics AFTER the request has been completed. Until this has been done, we will not mark the request as COMPLETE and failing to do so can result in a warn raise.
In case of the latter, we will also ask our artists to put a watermark on the promo images and edits (doesn't have to be any bigger than your TDA name at the bottom corner of the graphic), in case the graphic in question gets stolen & reposted or the credit in the post erased. We know this isn't the fault of the requestor, but since it does tend to happen fairly often, it's an extra safeguard for us.
- What graphics can I request?
- Story graphics for any site: banners, chapter images, ad banners, cover stories ... You can request multiple graphics for the same story but only three at a time in one request.
- Forum Sets for any forum or RPG forum, including character library images or Tumblr Roleplay requests
- Other graphics such as wallpapers, headers, pips ...
Example of a pip:
- How can I provide the best evidence that my story exists?
Usually via link and screencapture.
- For story banners, please link to the story summary page of the story you want to use the banner for. You must have at least one validated chapter of this story to request a banner.
- For chapter images, please link to the chapter that you wish to request an image for.
- For forum images (such as signatures, avatars, etc.), please provide both link and screencapture of your profile. Many forums require an account to view profiles, so linking to the profile alone will not be enough for mods to adequately check it.
- For anything else that does not fall into this category, please provide a relevant screencapture. (i.e. of a forum you want to request buttons for). If what you are requesting for contains personal information, please make sure that this is not shown in your screencapture. Please contact a moderator if you have any questions about this.
- Do I have to provide my own images?
No, you can leave that up to the artist, but it's preferable if you do provide an image or at least a name of the celebrity you want featured in your story. If you're not decided on who you want to use, provide a clear description (i.e., they must look between 20-30 with blond hair and blue eyes, and petite in stature). For stock images, these can be provided too (if you for example want candles to be features on your graphic), but please make sure they are in accordance with our Copyright Rules++..
- Can I re-request a graphic?
Yes, you can, but not before you have PM'ed the artist who previously filled the request and have asked if it's okay for you to do so. If they haven't replied after two weeks, you may re-request as well.
- What if I can't find the artist who made my previous graphic anymore?
They might have changed their names. Please check the Name Change Masterlist or ask in the Who Made This? forum.
- Can I have my request moved from the general area to the specific if I know someone who might like to fill my request?
Yes, you can ask a moderator to have your request moved and add the name of the artist of whom you might like to have this request filled.
- If the graphic that was made for me isn't what I wanted, can I re-request it?
You can't make a new topic, but you can ask the artists to make some changes or re-open the request for someone else to pick up. Please be specific when asking for changes. If you don't like a picture, provide another one. If you don't like a font, give an idea as to what sort of font you are looking for. Asking for changes on a graphic means you have to take the initiative to make it easier for the artist to make the right graphic for you. Do not by any means waste an artist's time.
This last bit very important! If you do not treat the artists with respect, you may receive a warning from the staff.
You will have 7 days to collect your completed graphic before a moderator will PM you a reminder. After another 7 days, if you have not yet posted in the topic to collect, the artist may remove the banner and post it in the Up For Grabs section, and you will receive 1 warning point. If there is some reason why you will be away and unable to visit the request for more than seven days, please post to say that that is the case, and moderators will take it into consideration.
After pick up, graphics must be used within 10 days, and for a minimum of 4 weeks (if there are extraordinary circumstances we are happy to consider this case by case via PM, please PM any Requesting Arena or Staff moderator about this). If the graphic isn't used in that time, or isn't used for a reasonable amount of time, then we will consider not opening future requests for that same character/story, so please be warned.
If you have further questions, please contact one of the Requesting Arena moderators.
Should you have additional questions, please post them in the Question & Answer Forum.
Edited by starbuck., 05 August 2017 - 05:07 AM.