• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#19 enchantedx

enchantedx
  • Junior Artist
  • 1,079 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:17 PM

Loving the variety of sharp mono and colour in your gallery. You experiment with different text, I have trouble in that with my graphics. You do a great job with text!  :hearts:

My gallery

available

#20 episkey.

episkey.
  • Graduate Artist
  • 200 posts
  • Vault Points:222 points

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, Mariam!! 

I definitely try to keep mixing it up with fonts, and go for which ones flow better with the comp and overall feel of the graphic,

so it makes me so happy to hear that!  :glomp:

- k e l s e y-

Posted Image

beautiful sig and icon made by KaYLO REN // gallery // previously darliingfunerals

#21 miss atomic bomb

miss atomic bomb

click boom

• Administrator
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:23 AM

heeeey kelsey here with some gallery love! not at all surprised by how quickly you've been flying up the ranks, you've got a lovely distinct style here ^_^ your coloring is really vivid and bright without being overdone or too intense. +this is especially gorgeous, and I love the red/gray thing you've got on +this and +this (it's so cute!) and the blues/reds on +this are also just stunning.

your text is amazing too, super creative with tons of variety between different graphics (especially on +this and +this. also your comp is great, not overly complicated but you're fantastic at placing models effectively, like on +this and +this. obviously I love your banners a lot :wub: can't wait to see more of your lovely graphics, and I'm looking forward to watching you work your way up to master ^_^

<3 Cat

catgalleryq&a | unavailable | read the rules

#22 esoteric.

esoteric.
  • Master Artist
  • 1,349 posts
  • Software:Elements

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:31 AM

hi kelsey!!

your gallery is so gorgeous!

i'm obsessed with your comp and coloring  :loves: 

your text use is lovely, too!

like +how +do +you +even?????????????

also your pupper banner is so pure  :loves: 

your stock use is gorgeous!

i'm basically in love with everything in here tbh.

i can't say enough good things about your gallery!!!

isabel | run while you still can | available | artist q&a

CU7yAC5.png

gorgeous sig by milominderbinder <3

#23 episkey.

episkey.
  • Graduate Artist
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:45 PM

heeeey kelsey here with some gallery love! not at all surprised by how quickly you've been flying up the ranks, you've got a lovely distinct style here ^_^ your coloring is really vivid and bright without being overdone or too intense. +this is especially gorgeous, and I love the red/gray thing you've got on +this and +this (it's so cute!) and the blues/reds on +this are also just stunning.

your text is amazing too, super creative with tons of variety between different graphics (especially on +this and +this. also your comp is great, not overly complicated but you're fantastic at placing models effectively, like on +this and +this. obviously I love your banners a lot :wub: can't wait to see more of your lovely graphics, and I'm looking forward to watching you work your way up to master ^_^

<3 Cat

Cat, thank you so much!! It's been a honest thrill being promoted month after month, each time I was surprised ngl lol  I didn't realize that I have a "style" of my own, but I guess I kinda do!

I work so hard on my graphics, but especially my banners. Minus icons and blends, banners are so oddly shaped that they throw me off and I have to take a little extra time to get the product I want/can feel proud of put my name on haha

Thanks for the gallery love, bb!  :hearts:

hi kelsey!!

your gallery is so gorgeous!

i'm obsessed with your comp and coloring  :loves:

your text use is lovely, too!

like +how +do +you +even?????????????

also your pupper banner is so pure  :loves:

your stock use is gorgeous!

i'm basically in love with everything in here tbh.

i can't say enough good things about your gallery!!!

*SQUEALS*

Look who is talking, Miss text wizard!!  ;)

To hear you say all of that about my work makes me so happy

Thank you so much, Isabel! :fangirl:

- k e l s e y-

Posted Image

beautiful sig and icon made by KaYLO REN // gallery // previously darliingfunerals

#24 abhainn

abhainn

one hundred forty-two

• Senior Artist
  • 265 posts
  • Vault Points:45

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:48 PM

Hey Kelsey! I'm coming in from the Quick Crit thread for your cleanout  :hearts: Some of this is more nitpicky :P (Can I just say this was kinda hard because your stuff is amazing! Please give me your text and comp skills)

For your banners, I would clear out +this (while the comp is great, the main text splits the focal point), +this (the lighting on the Cheryl that's looking away looks a bit off with the rest of the graphic), +this (the image quality isn't as great as your others), and +this (it looks a bit grainy, and while the comp is mostly great, the main text and the person way at the end splits the focal point). I would also clear out +this signature (the texture over Cheryl's face makes her seem very blotchy and makes the skin tones not match), +this blend (the image quality isn't great, the focal point is split, and the skin tones don't match).

I really hope this helps, and once again, you're doing absolutely fab  :queen:  :queen:  :queen:

~Shan

thank you choobacca for the amazing set

jm3mR7s.png

Artist Q&A || Shan || Gallery

#25 hecate.

hecate.
  • Graduate Artist
  • 419 posts
  • Software:GIMP
  • Vault Points:123

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:37 AM

Hi Kelsey!

Congrats on the promo - I'm looking at your gallery and I'm wondering how I'm the same level as your because oh my, your graphics - I literally have no words for some of them, they're just incredible!

You have such variety within your graphics, especially comp and text and I'm in awe because I always get stuck on how to shake up my graphics! +this banner is my absolute favourite of all your graphics - the stock and the comp and the colouring are all simply amazing and I just can't even begin to imagine making something that good! I also just read that you made one of the spiderwebs? It makes the graphic a million times more amazing knowing that you did that!

the text on +this is acutally so, so perfect! It fits the tone of the graphic so well, and the comp is also incredible! and +this - I know i said the previous banner was my absolute fave of yours but it's tied between that and this signature - the composition is out of this world and that pop of red just sets the whole graphic off and finishes it off perfectly.

I can't wait to see more amazing things from you! 

hey, i'm vicki │ available, but pm first.
Posted Image
~rewrite the stars~

#26 jellybean jones

jellybean jones
  • Member Artist
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:12 PM

hiiiii! your comp is so amazing and so is your coloring....teach me you waysssssss and keep up the phenomenal work!

pL1IOe.png

sammi | gallery
thanks kristina for the gorgeous sig!

#27 nomad

nomad

we are the reckless

• TDA Superstar
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:57 AM

excuse me while i flail about the composition and coloring of this+ banner

not to mention the gorgeous (and character appropriate) font use for this+ signature 

and can you make all ron weasley graphics in the future? bc this+ blend is to die for. 

keep up the great work! 

CALL ME KAT

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
available for requests.

lovely tonight*

#28 Kirjava

Kirjava

The future Mrs. Shona Eddie Redmayne (one day)

• TDA Superstar
  • 743 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 04:19 PM

Hi Kelsey!

First off, a huge thank you so much for dropping by my gallery earlier in March and leaving such a lovely comment - I really really appreciate it - thank you! :wub:

Nextly, WOW your gallery is absolutely gorgeous! Your composition and colouring is just so so pretty and the way the whole thing seems to flow is like magic. This has to be my most favourite sig ever because the colouring of monocrome and contrasting colour is so well done <3 And your animated graphics are so wonderful too!

Can't wait to see more of you!

Shona

Shona

Into this Wild Abyss

Posted Image

Bex (Beyond the rain) loooooves me looooves loooves me!

#29 hamylton.

hamylton.

TDA's Accountant

• Vault Moderator
  • 713 posts
  • Vault Points:1044

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:53 AM

Hi Kelsey!
The way you do your composition is amazing! I especially love it on +this, +this and +this! You colouring is also beautiful! I love the way you combined the light, faded colours and the vibrant colours in +this. I also love the colouring on +this and +this. The second is so soft and beautiful! 
-Amy

amy. +watching it burn previously caomoyl

vBHhsb.png

beautiful signature by starbuck.! | FFABHPFT |

#30 episkey.

episkey.
  • Graduate Artist
  • 200 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 01:52 PM

wooah lol okay here we go! 

:dumbles:

Hey Kelsey! I'm coming in from the Quick Crit thread for your cleanout  :hearts: Some of this is more nitpicky :P (Can I just say this was kinda hard because your stuff is amazing! Please give me your text and comp skills)

For your banners, I would clear out +this (while the comp is great, the main text splits the focal point), +this (the lighting on the Cheryl that's looking away looks a bit off with the rest of the graphic), +this (the image quality isn't as great as your others), and +this (it looks a bit grainy, and while the comp is mostly great, the main text and the person way at the end splits the focal point). I would also clear out +this signature (the texture over Cheryl's face makes her seem very blotchy and makes the skin tones not match), +this blend (the image quality isn't great, the focal point is split, and the skin tones don't match).

I really hope this helps, and once again, you're doing absolutely fab  :queen:  :queen:  :queen:

~Shan

Firstly, Shan, SO grateful for the clean out, I haven't gotten to it yet but I was really interested to know what my weakest graphics were cause I am VERY MUCH of a hoarder (like bad) so thank you very very much!! <3

Hi Kelsey!

Congrats on the promo - I'm looking at your gallery and I'm wondering how I'm the same level as your because oh my, your graphics - I literally have no words for some of them, they're just incredible!

You have such variety within your graphics, especially comp and text and I'm in awe because I always get stuck on how to shake up my graphics! +this banner is my absolute favourite of all your graphics - the stock and the comp and the colouring are all simply amazing and I just can't even begin to imagine making something that good! I also just read that you made one of the spiderwebs? It makes the graphic a million times more amazing knowing that you did that!

the text on +this is acutally so, so perfect! It fits the tone of the graphic so well, and the comp is also incredible! and +this - I know i said the previous banner was my absolute fave of yours but it's tied between that and this signature - the composition is out of this world and that pop of red just sets the whole graphic off and finishes it off perfectly.

I can't wait to see more amazing things from you! 

Oh shush, Vicki!! You're like the queen of text and comp ;)  :glomp:  THANK YOU <3

hiiiii! your comp is so amazing and so is your coloring....teach me you waysssssss and keep up the phenomenal work!

Sammi, you're so sweet, thank you so much! :)

excuse me while i flail about the composition and coloring of this+ banner

not to mention the gorgeous (and character appropriate) font use for this+ signature 

and can you make all ron weasley graphics in the future? bc this+ blend is to die for. 

keep up the great work! 

omggggg tysm <3 <3 <3 

Hi Kelsey!

First off, a huge thank you so much for dropping by my gallery earlier in March and leaving such a lovely comment - I really really appreciate it - thank you! :wub:

Nextly, WOW your gallery is absolutely gorgeous! Your composition and colouring is just so so pretty and the way the whole thing seems to flow is like magic. This has to be my most favourite sig ever because the colouring of monocrome and contrasting colour is so well done <3 And your animated graphics are so wonderful too!

Can't wait to see more of you!

Shona

You're totally welcome, bb, I loved your gallery so i just had to comment :) THANK YOU SO MUCH!! You're such a sweetie  :icecream:

Hi Kelsey!
The way you do your composition is amazing! I especially love it on +this, +this and +this! You colouring is also beautiful! I love the way you combined the light, faded colours and the vibrant colours in +this. I also love the colouring on +this and +this. The second is so soft and beautiful! 
-Amy

Amy, you're literally making me blush wow thank you so so much for this amazing af comment  :wub:  :wub:

- k e l s e y-

Posted Image

#31 beyond the rain

beyond the rain

bad witch of 'north

• Master Artist
  • 4,351 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:32 PM

hey Kelsie! Sorry this crit is so late, but better (extremely) late than never, I suppose? I think I'm going to do your critique a little differently to what I normally do. Usually the crit and the cleanout is separate, but I think today I'm going to combine the two. I'll go through each section, and tell you what graphics I'd get rid of and why. Rather than just telling you without reason.
Before I do that, however, I want to talk about some of my favourite pieces in here!! Your signatures are, to me, your strength. These two graphics (click & click) are amazing! The composition and lighting in both is just right! The colouring in the first sig is everything *_* amazing work! Your prisoner of Azkaban Chapter Image is amazing too. The composition works really well, as is the colouring!  I think right now, I see that a lot of your stuff has potential to be really great, but you're just missing the mark on some things such as text and composition. 

​banners 

it pains me to say that you should get rid of this banner+ because everything else about it is oh so gorgeous. The stock is beautiful and the colours are amazing, but the text doesn't really work. In regards to placement, it seems to be a bit of an afterthought. In which case I'd suggest that you take your time with text, because in my opinion it's your weakest point right now. What doesn't help you is that all your models are in one place. To help you place text, I'd suggest that you space your models out a bit more. Because it's clear that the text isn't the focal point, that it's the girl in the centre. However because the other two are ​so close ​to her, it makes it difficult to put the text anywhere and have it look like part of the graphic. I would've moved the girl on the left hand side to below where the text is, and then made the text slightly smaller and put it where the girl on the left is.

Similarly, I'd get rid of this banner+ because the text is an awkward size. It's not big enough to be ​the focal point, but it's next to the two girls who I think are the focal point? My eye isn't really drawn anywhere in this banner, I'm not sure where to look. As well with a font like that, you don't want to have too much of it. I would've just had one of the words in such a spidery font. It's okay to use the same font for a few words, but you put the graphic in danger of looking messy.  

I don't think this banner+ is up to par with the rest of your stuff. The text is smaller than your focal point, but it's too high up in terms of placement. I think the issue is that you're treating text too much like a separate part of the graphic. Your pieces are so well thought out and are constructed so well, but it seems like with text you're unsure of yourself - and then it ends up affecting what could've been an amazing piece. 

Lastly, I don't want you to get rid of this banner++ but I think if you still have the editable file you could do smth to make it master artist worthy, because it looks so cool and could be REALLY amazing. So, to me, it's pretty clear that the text is the focal point, because it stands out the most, but still looks part of the graphic. However, I think the girl on the right is way too big, like she's fighting for attention with the text. Instead I think, you should make her a lot smaller - and put her on the right side of 'waking', so that she's sat on top of the word 'giants' OR have her at the bottom, in front of the text. Like I don't think you should remove it, but because this text is so clearly the main point of attention, I think you need to draw us in more, and make everything tie in with it. 

chapter images 

I think you need to get rid of the bottom too chapter images. On both girls in the CIs their skin tones look off with them being so unnaturally red. I know it can be difficult to keep skin tones natural when you're going for intense colouring, but you should make sure that your models look natural. In the 'freedom' CI, Karen's hair looks too smudged on the left hand side - and the colour of the text doesn't work. When I was an MA several staffers told me to never have text that was pure white or pure black and it's a rule I've stuck to. I try not to put those colours in my graphics at all, just because I think they throw off any other colours that are in there. I see what you were trying to do with the 3D red and blue colours effect, and it does look nice, but it's not up to par with the other two graphics. The 'no angel' CI is too messy. There's far too many colours going on. When mixing black and white with colour, it's important that the b&w stands out. A trick that someone taught me, is once you've made your graphic b&w, put another b&w layer over it but set it to overlay at a high percent. Anything from 50% onwards would do the trick, it depends on the graphic. That way, your colours, and your b&w are present. 

signatures

So because your signatures are the best part of your gallery, you may think I'm being really harsh here, but I want your gallery looking as polished as possible! The only reason I think you should get rid of this++ is because the text is too high up on the graphic (not all text needs to be at the bottom of a graphic, but I think for this one it needs to.) and because it's over sharpened/filtered. The other signature that you need to get rid of is the 'Friends' signature. The colouring is nowhere near as good as it is in your other graphics, there's way too much text and the models are all pretty LQ.

blends 

This blend++ has a really great concept, and I love the cohesive colour scheme and the splats of blood. But, it's very busy, two of the girls seem to have halos, and though I like that you used the frame, I think you could've used it differently. You could've placed one or two of the girls outside of it rather than having them all in it. The concept is about seriousness and female criminals and empowerment...but the font choice doesn't match that at all. It's too cartoony. I would've had the text sat on top of the bottom part of the frame, and in a gothic font, so that it matched the rest of the text. 

​overall 

​I've seen you climb through the ranks, and I have loved seeing how far you've come. Now you need to push yourself. Take your time with text, and make sure you don't make silly mistakes. I'm no admin so I can't say with confidence who should or shouldn't be promoted, but in order for you to achieve that it is true that you need to go beyond your boundaries, but you also need to really refine your craft. Master artists don't get everything right (prime example of this: my gallery) but that's what we're aiming for. I think once you think about what you want to achieve with your graphics and consider every aspect, then you'll get there! 

​If you have any questions about my critique, or if you think it's too harsh, or something needs clarifying - please feel free to PM me! Again, I'm sorry this was so late, but I hope it's been helpful! 

​Bex

// hey i'm bex // MY TUMBLR (M) // semi available - PM first // artist q&a (ask me anything!)

image.png
perfect birthday present from the amazing wildest dreams.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users