9 replies to this topic

#1 Artemesia

Artemesia

You fly's open, Geller

• Junior Artist
  • 643 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:10 PM

czhu2m0.pnghUCj9gP.pngczhu2m0.pngiSS6AwR.pngczhu2m0.pngeB0dzBy.pngczhu2m0.pngpp7IbKv.pngczhu2m0.png

bQ4PCZF.pngczhu2m0.png

q08BK0O.pngczhu2m0.png

jOKmUhR.pngczhu2m0.png

C25Z2C4.pngczhu2m0.png

PATP7pR.png

czhu2m0.png.png

NcCeWvP.pngczhu2m0.png.png

kJ4YMik.png

czhu2m0.png

z4fkOhn.png

czhu2m0.png

TvXn6Tl.pngczhu2m0.png

DvaLt9Q.png

czhu2m0.png

ob2eaiu.pngczhu2m0.png

XaIL4vz.png

czhu2m0.png

o3l0AFG.pngczhu2m0.png

uQGipBn.pngczhu2m0.png

Xz9lPan.pngczhu2m0.png

mLWsDdq.pngczhu2m0.png

sNmkiMa.pngczhu2m0.png

ggTS8gb.pngczhu2m0.png

Ic8WsGS.pngczhu2m0.png

Pbui38g.png

czhu2m0.png

O L D   F A V S + +

C R E D I T S

andre josselin | andrey yakovlev | caleb & gladys | cecy young | christos karantzolas | dasha gouage |
della bass | dmitry romanoff | emily soto | henrik adamsen | joanna kustra | jose herrera |
julia polyaschenko | kristina varaksina | lachlan bailey | lucia gasparovicova | marie hochhaus |
matt hawthorne | matthieu belin | maxim kalmykov | paulina wierzgacz | nikita sergyshkin |
pauline darley | pierre manning | polina vingradova | sofia zacheva | victor santiago |
weronika kosinska | zanita morgan |

B E H A N C E
Anna Theodora | David Benoliel | Emily Soto | Hao Zeng | Jose Ferreira | Matthieu Belin
Robert Marcillas | Trunk Xu

F A S H I O N G O N E R O G U E
Alexander Neumann | An Le | Andreas Öhlund | Arjun Mark | Ben Hassett | Benjamin Alexander Huseby
Carter Bowman | Chris Nicholls | David Roemer | David Slijper | Dennis Leupold
Douglas Friedman | Enrique Vega | Eric Guillemain | Gabor Jurina
Gavin O’Neill | Greg Kadel | Hans Feurer | Henryk Lobaczewski | Jason Kim | Jumbo Tsui
Li Qi | Maciek Kobielski | Marcus Ohlsson | Maria Therese | Mark Segal | Martin Lidell
Michèle Bloch-Stuckens | Nick Nelson | Nico| Paul Maffi | Philip Riches | Philippe Salomon | Pierre Dal Corso
Richard Ramos | Seiji Fujimori | Sharif Hamza | Steven Gomillion | Steven Pan
Stockton Johnson | Tane Coffin | Wee Khim | Will Davidson | Yuangui Mei

F A N S I T E S
alicia-keys.net
amazingamandla.com
beyoncepictures.org
kekepalmer.us
nayamarierivera.com
ultimate-rihanna.com
zendaya-coleman.com
zoe-saldana.net
zz-infos.com

F L I C K R

55Laney69 | Andreas Øverland | azrhey | Barbro_Uppsala | chiaralily | Didier Baertschiger

ekpatterson | fartmanteau | Federica Capace | fusion-of-horizons | Garry Knight

Guzmán Lozano | Kew on Flickr | Kotomi_ | lentina_x

Lotus Carroll | Mataparda | Pedro Presilha | Rob Pegoraro

Edited by Artemesia, 31 May 2017 - 12:50 AM.

we are nothing more than stories
Posted Image

J E N   |   2 4   |   S R I L A N K A N   

#2 Lady Plantagenet

Lady Plantagenet

free to be you and me

• Staff Moderator
  • 10,254 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:54 PM

Holy heck this is amazing!!! Your gallery is so vibrant and so full of energy and action!!! I love the color and contrast and everything else about it!!! :wub:

formerly Glow || andrea || need crit?

urtijSQ.png

gallery || AltheaG @AO3 || @artful_catholic on Instagram

Follow the Copyright Rules || sig quote by William Shakespeare

#3 Artemesia

Artemesia

You fly's open, Geller

• Junior Artist
  • 643 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:49 PM

Thank you so much Andrea :D this is a much needed confidence boost :wub: :wub:

Posted Image

#4 Vault 713

Vault 713
  • Graduate Artist
  • 498 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:44 AM

Howdy!
I adore all your stock/texture use and bright, warm colors.
I love the variety in text as well!

I think my favorite pieces are definitely your Sansa blend and Start of a Dream sig!

KtsAxWI2.png
ashley : Gallery : semi-available (pm first!)

#5 Artemesia

Artemesia

You fly's open, Geller

• Junior Artist
  • 643 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:03 AM

Thanks a lot Ashley :D personally, the one piece I'm satisfied with is the Ragnar sig as well :D

Posted Image

#6 bewitching.

bewitching.

You can call me monster

• Graduate Artist
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:25 AM

Hi, I am here is your requested critique. Before we start I would like to say that if you have any questions or queries about the critique then feel free to contact me (I do often tend to waffle a bit).

Overall - anything said here will be covered in more detail later on

Your graphics are really good. Although scrolling through your gallery I see you have a tendance to use a lot of white overlay textures as well as whitewashing your people. Fonts not being so readable. Same placement of people and text throughout each graphic especially banners.

Banners

Your people on all four of your banners look like they have been brightened and slightly whitewashed (overly white and taking the colour form their natural skin tone). This may be caused by you using brightness and contrast, levels or curves. Some also look like they are glowing in a way (this may also be in connection with the white textures used). If you do use anything such as curves, levels or brightness and contrast then you have to find a balance. With any of the options it is best to keep them level, for example if you increase one you must increase the other by the same amount. This will stop them from becoming too white.

Another piece of advice I have is to work on your placement of text and people. I have noticed that with your text you tend to stick to keeping it in the same place near the middle of the graphic. Try to push yourself from your comfort zone and place the text some where else. The same goes for the people. The bigger image is placed on one side of the text with the smaller one placed on the other side (this is a trend throughout all your banners). Try to place the people together for a change and put the text to the right of the people or the left. +here, this tutorial will help you with your placement of people and text. You have a really good eye for having your text colour link in with the colours in the banners which is a good thing when making your graphic look like everything works well together.

Signatures

You have a better grasp of letting the people's skin tones look more natural rather than washed out in your sigs. I would just watch for your text not being able to be read. Also if you are using smaller text in your graphic it is best to keep it at around 8/9pt. This stops the attentions being drawn away from the main text. in addition to that it is good to think about spacing. A little trick that I learnt from another artist when I was starting out was to put a space inbetween each letter of your small sub text then when you came to a break in the words you would use three spaces. It is surprising how doing that can make your smaller text more readable. Another tip for text is to choose a font that works with the mood of your graphic. For example, for a happy graphic you would use sans serif fonts such as arial and calibri, for a sad or dark graphic you would use scriptive fonts and times new roman.

Be careful when using textures in a graphic and not to cover the models face which you have done in your last signature. That overlay texture takes over the whole graphic making the text hard to read as well as being able to see the people. I would suggest removing that one from your gallery.

Blends

Your two 800x600px are by far your best two graphics in your gallery. The comp on both is just perfect. The textures work really well together. In the sansa stark one I think it would be better without the little sub text being so high up because my eye is being distracted by it every time it is drawn to the person and the main text. On the blend with sirius black it would have been better to reverse the size of the text so the cursive font was bigger than the arial font, the arial font would look better in all caps.

The 'Way of Shadows' blend really is not working for me personally. Eddie's face is in the middle of no where and is overpowered by the bright texture next to him. I'm also not sure why the text above shadows is green as I think it would have been better a darker colour as well as being smaller in size. Also watch for textures ending abruptly in a graphics. I can clearly see where one texture you used has ended. You wanted everything to look seamless. I think you could have pushed yourself more with this graphic and possibly added more people or even put some stock in it.

White overlay textures

I noticed in your banners and signatures you like to use these types of textures but sometimes they can over power your graphics. I would suggest that you try to use them on different modes such as screen, overlay etc. If you are still finding them too overpowering and white then lower the opacity. Also factor in your colouring as this could affect the whites in your graphics. Toggle on and off your colouring layer to find out which setting is causing the problem.

General tips

Go out of your comfort zone.

Try and push yourself by being more creative.

Always look in your gallery and see the current placements of the people and text and try to mix it up.

Make every graphic individual rather than looking the same.

Be careful with your colouring and coloured/white textures.

Vary the fonts used in your graphics by thinking of the mood you are trying to portray in your graphic and make sure they can be read by everyone.

Think about a focal point in your graphic - is it the person or the text you want people to be drawn to when they first look at your graphic.

k5U2U0q.png
call me Gaby ★  Hanna's twinee  GALLERY PM for requests  unavaliable

#7 floralprint

floralprint

resident studio ghibli enthusiast

• Staff Artist
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:38 PM

hey, jen!! i wanted to give you a quick congrats for your promo :loves:

ci2myVF.jpg

i love your gallery, your bold coloring looks great! +this banner is one of my favorite things in here, the comp is amazing :dumbles:
i can see you moving up very quickly, keep it up! enjoy your new rank <3
-ash

| ash | available for requests |
Posted Image
| gallery |

#8 sin city

sin city

hashtag hustle life

• Staff Artist
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:32 PM

KqNOAVu.gif

hi jen!! super congrats on your promo!

i adoree your stock/texture combo! it always turns out so complex and lovely <33

your warm colouring is also phenomenal, and i'm really loving +this!!

enjoy your new blue! <3

previously fawkes.

Posted Image

GALLERY | LILY | AVAILABLE

#9 BrokenButterfly

BrokenButterfly

"and though she be but little, she is fierce"

• TDA Superstar
  • 422 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:21 PM

I love the Vibrant Colors of your gallery. Everyone really pops in a really well-done way. :)

Taylor | 24 | Slytherin | AVAILABLE -Just PM ME | My Gallery+ | My FFN Page+ -M

Posted Image

Join Me At Catch The Snitch+ An HP Inspired Resource Forum. CTS is seeking staff, PM for details.

#10 Lady Plantagenet

Lady Plantagenet

free to be you and me

• Staff Moderator
  • 10,254 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:50 PM

Jen! Wow! What a gallery!

Your coloring is so fun and vibrant and exciting, so please keep up the great work on that!

The biggest thing I see is that there's so much in your graphics that it's hard to know where to look first. Most of your banners are examples of what I mean. I think you need to pick and choose a bit so that you can have a lot of great detail but still have a strong focus at the same time. In the third banner, for example, decide on where to place the yellow lights rather than having them everywhere. Use a strategy, that is, so that you can keep your rich detail but have it work for you. You have a good eye for design, so you really just need to rein it in a bit.

The other issue I see related to coloring and filtering is to watch the strength of those filters. It looks like you're over-filtering (especially in the bottom 2 chappie images) so that it looks too artificial. If you want an cartoon-like look then make it more obviously animated, but otherwise, pull back on the filters a bit so it looks more natural.

Keep up the great work, and let me know if you have any more questions or concerns.

formerly Glow || andrea || need crit?

urtijSQ.png

gallery || AltheaG @AO3 || @artful_catholic on Instagram

Follow the Copyright Rules || sig quote by William Shakespeare

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users