January 2016[x]
by azimuth by red herring
by foggy
by Fireheart
by Artemesia
by Lauralei

Photo

Tips and Tricks: CompositionOpen to All Ranks!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mintleaf

Mintleaf

glitter

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,742 posts
  • Software:Paint

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:50 PM

What's a graphic without good composition? How do you go about composing your graphics? Are there any design principles you utilise more than others to achieve intersting compositions? Please share your tips and tricks here so we can all learn from you!

MY FAVOURITE SET EVER BY THE INFINITELY TALENTED JESS/ANYROAD <3 TEAM ANYLEAF 5EVA
Posted Image
HI MY NAME IS #TILLY AND MY GALLERY IS MO' BUTTER MO' BETTER AND I AM AVAILABLE

#2 accursed.

accursed.

Mo Duinne

• Veteran Artist
  • 4,386 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:53 PM

I think there's always the universal "don't cut off the chin" - but this doesn't mean that you have to have an entire face on your graphic. Interesting composition comes from breaking the rules and pulling it off - like only having the eyes and forehead visible, or switching the models upside down. Another trend i've seen is also having models interacting with elements like text (leaning against, sitting on etc) and I think that brings composition to a whole new level (: 

Posted Image

gallery || kinda-available?? Just got back. After a long time. 

#3 daredevil

daredevil

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡ )

• Veteran Artist
  • 3,454 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:08 PM

• the rule of thirds! Text generally looks better in the bottom two thirds of a graphic.
  • our eyes usually follow the direction that the model is looking in, which is an interesting tip for composing a graphic. try to avoid having more than one model looking directly at the camera! 
  • a balance of colours across the graphic usually helps the composition look more cohesive! try to have light and dark integrated, rather than have one side a lot darker than the other.

(ノ◕‿◕)ノ*:・゚✧

vee & gallery & beautiful set by doctor ziegler

5tlzvyL.png

★ texture pack texture pack v.2 digital painting tutorial & prev: legolas.

#4 sail boat

sail boat

florence is bae

• 1,859 posts
  • Software:Elements

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:30 AM

My tip when doing composition is if you think your graphic is looking kind of flat, adding layers can add so much to it! So if you have a picture of a model on your graphic and you want to add something, you could always try hardcutting a clock or a small person beside them or even a texture or another piece of stock can add so much ^_^

so yeah layering is cool if you want your graphic to look a little less flat!

MEGGIE

Posted Image

e. rinaldi + r. everard-xin on pw // thank you to my bae vee for this amazing set

#5 roy batty.

roy batty.

you're not sentimental.

• Veteran Artist
  • 1,091 posts
  • Software:Other

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:58 PM

don't play it safe. a lot of people tend to stick with the exact same comp all of the time bc so many different things are classified as "weird", like textures/stock over faces. be willing to do those things because that's what can make your comp unique. there's no right or wrong way to make a graphic, if it looks good or you think i will, try it. experiment!

gabriel/the artist formerly known as silver. semi-available.
and you are not a wolf.

Geso9qj.png

#6 starbuck.

starbuck.

hotshot

• Administrator
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:02 AM

i always start off my graphics by putting pictures of people and then building the rest around them because 99% of the time people are the main focus of the graphic and i've found that if i start off with a base, i put people where they fit and not where i would want them to be in a position i think is best for what i'm trying to achieve ;)

wonderful signature by hamylton.
plNvuA.png
kristina || The Art of Being Nonchalant (Or Not) (M) || art&fic || hic sunt leones || artist q&a || copyright rules || UFG1 UFG2 UFG3 UFG4

#7 daredevil

daredevil

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡ )

• Veteran Artist
  • 3,454 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:13 AM

• always plan for text! It's a good idea to always think about where your text is going to go and what font you'd like to use while you're composing your graphic. You dont need to know exactly what the text will look like (I sometimes wing it), but this is especially helpful if you think that your text always looks out of place, cramped, or busy.
  • place your models at different levels! this helps prevent the graphic from looking 'flat' and plane.

(ノ◕‿◕)ノ*:・゚✧

vee & gallery & beautiful set by doctor ziegler

5tlzvyL.png

★ texture pack texture pack v.2 digital painting tutorial & prev: legolas.

#8 After Midnight

After Midnight
  • Dark Arts Digest Manager
  • 315 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:29 AM

Composition, isn't just models and texts. Your stocks and texture need to be placed in a way that makes sense to the graphic, they need to flow. I ave learned over the years of designing that you need to have this line where you can start at one side of the graphic and continuously go through the graphic, it doesn't have to be straight across you can have a wiggle line. Also experiment with the number of people, don't stick with one maybe two. I know I tend t stick t tree that's bad of me yea, but at least I change their positions and that. And last not be afraid to go crazy, put the models at different size and points on the graphic. sorry that wasn't the last one, don't be afraid espically with text to put it on yr modes throw it under some of your text layers and lower the opacity. Just experiment is all you need to do.

pZhaCm.png

gallery // Previously Bullet Proof | Jess // Signature made by the lovely starbuck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users