page thirteen.

i like superheroes and cheques with lots of zeroes on them

• Staff Moderator
  • 2,005 posts
  • Software:Photoshop
  • Vault Points:832

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:15 PM

screencap preparation: jade style!

This isn't a very extensive tutorial, just a workaround I discovered a while ago, and figured I should share because it's pretty useful when working with dark caps, or caps that need serious colour correction! You probably will have to do extra things to the cap alongside this, but it's quite nice as a first step for people who do want to work with caps but can't work out how to make them work.

As far as I can see, this tutorial is not translatable as you need something specific to curves -- for GIMPers, you can achieve a similar effect with auto > white balance in place of the curves layer, I believe (or a GIMPer will confirm an alternative :P ).

------------------------------------------

For the sakes of this tutorial, I am using this cap, provided by Amy (caomoyl).

3uSFVSBF.png

All I've done to it for this is to crop it smaller so we can see what's happening - no sharpening or anything like that (although it will be naturally sharper from being made smaller, but that's okay here. ;) ).

The main issues I can see with this cap is that it's dark, it's blue-toned, and it's from a show featuring way too much misery to be acceptable.

STEP ONE -

The easiest thing to fix is the darkness, so I duplicate the cap and set it to screen. You can lower the opacity of this layer if it's too much (it might be, if the original cap is already quite light).

cp57VjGu.png

I set the screen layer to 90%, if you're following along. :P

This is already looking a lot better! I might not use it on a graphic just yet, but I'm not gonna worry about bad colouring if I do. It's still pretty blue-toned, though, which doesn't really help on the graphicing front (I am not adventurous).

STEP TWO -

Time to break out the curves! For this specifically, you're gonna need these two little buttons, which I've helpfully outlined in red:

xL0NJh0s.png

For step two, you'll need to click on the eyedropper on the far right - the one that looks like it's got white in it. You'll, of course, now have an eyedropper tool to move around.

With this tool, select the whitest white you can find on the canvas. It can get a little difficult, so I do recommend taking a moment to look at the canvas and click properly, even if you have to zoom in! The better white you select, the better the outcome will be!

For this cap, I selected a white from the very edge of the baby's hood; it was actually a light blue but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The change will happen the moment you click on the white ahaha.
QcJGvDgp.png

STEP THREE -

The last step is to do the same thing again, but with the eyedropper on the far left; the black one!

This time, you need to select the darkest black you can find on the canvas -- in this case, the cap is full of blacks, and I just selected randomly from the background:

iLEhy3XR.png

BAM, simple as that. Not only is it lighter, but a lot of the blue has gone, and it's more workable, overall.

This can essentially work on any cap as long as you can find a very close white and a black on the canvas somewhere. Here's a before-and-after of a darker shot (cap still provided by caomoyl):

QHqYBY4Z.png

That's really it! I do hope this helped someone somewhere :P Like I said, you'll probably have further image prep to do after this point, but I'm hoping this stops screencaps from seeming so scary.

Feel free to ask any questions/leave a comment/do this on five thousand caps out of excitement (wat.) - if you have other program questions, my Q&A is +here ^_^

#2 Enigma

Enigma

dark and twisty

• Master Artist
  • 1,261 posts
  • Vault Points:1241

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:21 PM

​Holy crap who new that screencap prep could be so simple!!! Thank you so much, this will save SO many graphics! <3 

​Also, I should have waited for this before working with hella dark HP screencaps for a UC graphic -_- lol 

K a y

previously known as victus.

1 0 0 0 x // t u m b l r  // Q&A // available 

Bj35nha.png

gorgeous present from tamago <3

#3 azimuth

azimuth

I'll glomp the hug out of you

• Master Artist
  • 1,340 posts
  • Vault Points:

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:01 AM

This is so very helpful for whenever I feel brave enough to use screencaps! :P Thank you, Jade! :hug:

Vanya ♥ Tutorial Gallery Stock

10xYkH21.gif

I am unavailable for requests.

#4 ailhsa

ailhsa

the doctor is in

• TDA Superstar
  • 517 posts
  • Vault Points:284

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:18 PM

This was really neat! I used screen before, but this makes them look even better! Thanks, Jade!

L i a

Posted Image

HPFF | AO3 | Gallery | set: and peggy  :loves: 

#5 Asphodelic

Asphodelic

Avi_Stole_My_Heart

• Senior Artist
  • 4,620 posts
  • Software:GIMP
  • Vault Points:185

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:14 PM

Incredible! Maybe I can give screencaps another go. ;) Thanks so much for this Jade! :D

|| Alishya || +Gallery || TDA's Resident of Eppes Brothers Fanatic || Available (Please PM beforehand) ||

oIPQce.png

#6 miss atomic bomb

miss atomic bomb

click boom

• Administrator
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:04 PM

I never knew curves could do that! you've made my life so much easier jade tysm <3

gallery | q&a | unavailable | read the rules

#7 Vault 713

Vault 713
  • Master Artist
  • 522 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:47 PM

This is awesome! Love the curves technique :dance:

Thanks for this!

Edited by Vault 713, 03 March 2017 - 09:47 PM.

Posted Image
ashley : Gallery : semi-available (pm first!)

#8 lazy bones

lazy bones

I Am Heaven Sent

• Master Artist
  • 889 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:54 PM

You mean I have been using photoshop over ten years and never knew this feature?!? 

giphy.gif

Will be using in future because I use way to many screencaps.

ask me a graphic ?;; available by pm;; ashley;; gallery

#9 lora

lora
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:00 PM

i love this effect 

tumblr_nt4b3jW5XY1qch9k3o1_540.png

#10 jennie

jennie
  • 6 posts