• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#37 sail boat

sail boat

florence is bae

• 1,859 posts
  • Software:Elements

Posted 19 April 2015 - 02:18 AM

hiiii branwen (btw this is easily one of my favorite names ever :loves: its on my list of names for future kids so thought I'd tell you :lol:)

I came in here to study your style for our partner challenge and ughhh

I don't think I will ever do it justice :drop:

You have this lovely, architectural element to your graphics that looks so effortless but is so hard to replicate

and your coloring is so beautiful, especially in your icons D:

your headers are absolutely stunning :loves:

I wish I could use stock like you do

/love spams you

you're amazingggg

EDIT 3RD PAGE!

Edited by sail boat, 19 April 2015 - 02:18 AM.

MEGGIE

Posted Image

e. rinaldi + r. everard-xin on pw // thank you to my bae vee for this amazing set

#38 Newt Scamander.

Newt Scamander.

Skaikru

• Requesting Arena Moderator
  • 4,088 posts
  • Software:Photoshop
  • Vault Points:141

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:03 AM

Hi hun here with your requested critique <3 

Please remember just because I am getting straight to the point doesn't mean I am always a old fart :P 

I see you said you struggle with text, text is the demon of graphics... everyone at some point will struggle with text, but I don't think you struggle per-sey. I just think you need more of a grip on it. For eg. +this here, the text is very divided here and I have no idea where to look first However, the text on +this[/urk] and +this is fabulous!!1 So it's not that you struggle with this, you just need to have a clearer focal point with your text when doing it. 
A lot of your text is split up into heaps of different little paragraphs/sentences. Try your hardest to avoid this, otherwise we will loose focal point completely! <3 Just keep experimenting love.

You also said, 1 person per graphic. I disagree, I think you have a massive verity of compositions, and sizes of people in each category. You chapter images, the more recent ones are fantastic, so I would suggest perhaps getting rid of a few of the weaker ones with only 1 person in it and where the text is split. [url=http://i.imgur.com/PbgwoYv.png] +This banner is the perfect example of your struggle. See how the composition, is very nicely done(you did a marvelous job!) and there's more than one person, but the text is way too far down, and isn't placed as nicely as it could be. On a tilt by snow's head (I think it's snow don't know don't watch it properly to know the characters) a slightly bigger would have made this graphic complete and completely perfect <3 Everything about that animated banner though is perfect!!

Just a general tip, watch for bright whites and try not to make the tooo white :P I have that trouble myself but I am slowly getting out of it and no wi can see when other people do it so I am trying to  help them with it too!

I adore you coloring and composition skills, that's nothing you need to work on at all. Just watch for bright whites and keep experimenting with text! I;d also suggest removing that chapter image with no people as it is really bringing your gallery down just a tad <33 

Nice being in here, I stalk frequently in here!  But I love you and your style and I really don't think you have anything major to work on, you just have to watch a few things <33 

~Karni. 

Edited by Hobbit', 01 May 2015 - 08:04 AM.

amazing set by miss atomic bomb

+May We Meet Again.

RdyZpFo.png
+stories

#39 abhorsen.

abhorsen.

still flying

• LGMS Co-Ordinator
  • 4,773 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:45 AM

I fail at responding to things. Sorry, guys! :(

Thanks so much for your comments, and Eva/Karni, thank you so much for your crit - it's been incredibly helpful, and I've working on the things you both pointed out, text in particular. :wub:

- branwen -

lgms coordinator -- dueling arena moderator -- social media manager

Posted Image

+about lgms | signature by starbuck | +submit your artwork!

+artist q&a | +gallery | +hpft author page

#40 pottered

pottered
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:57 PM

branwen, hiiiiii
omg i lov ur gallery, it's so unique
ure so creative and i loveeee ur colouring, like, :loves:
~mary~
xx

gallery; unavailable; pm first

Posted Image

hello, i'm mary

#41 daredevil

daredevil

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

• Veteran Artist
  • 3,454 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:14 AM

hey branwen! :D

thought I'd drop by because you've been on fireeeeee lately and churning out all these amazing graphics :O

I love love love your dark, crisp style! It's so elegant and your blending and filtering are ON POINT ahh. teach me how to be youuu #goals

I particularly love your digest headers and manips! They're absolutely amazingggg.

keep up the amazing work! 

love,

vee

(ノ◕‿◕)ノ*:・゚✧

vee & gallery & beautiful set by doctor ziegler

5tlzvyL.png

★ texture pack texture pack v.2 digital painting tutorial & prev: legolas.

#42 bittersweetflames

bittersweetflames

filtering is my jam. I have it on my bread

• Master Artist
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:28 AM

Branwen, hunny..<3 I know you're going through a lot right now and before I go to bed I want to send a little loving your way. :)
As I was modding over here @TDA before going to bed (it's a compulsion, help me.) Anyway, I was modding so I figured I needed to give your gallery some LOVE. :wub:

I've seen you really evolve as an artist over time and am really awed by the way you use stocks and depth in your graphics to make them look perfectly polished and extraordinary. :) Your contrast and lighting is, as always, something that I instantly recognise as yours whenever I see it...

BUT LET ME SAY.. Working on Pictionary with you during the HC made me really see your work! Can I just point out that.... WOW. Your use of texture is just as wonderful as the way you wield your stocks.. :wub: The signatures you made were still so Branwen but you managed to twist your style around so not everything looks just the same. You know? YEP, YOU KNOW. <3 

So, yeah, I love you. I love your gallery. AND A MILLION HUGS YOUR WAY, dearie. <3  :glomp:

Posted Image
the war on words is real+ || HPFF author page 15+ || deviantart+

icon by me. absolutely smexy sig by my buddy, karni. be jealous. :wub:
available but please pm first! :) 

#43 Theia

Theia

lurkmeister

• Graduate Artist
  • 407 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:08 PM

i can't believe i haven't commented here yet forgive me. 

(but i lurk. beware the shadows.)

you are amazing. your graphics are so fab and you have such a beautiful style that i am completely in awe of. your stock use is beyond words. i don't know how you comp like that please teach me your ways. <33 (you should do a tut on how to graphic like branwen. xD)

i don't know what more to say bc i am dirt but i love you and your gallery. so much love your way. :loves: :hug: 

Edited by Infinityx, 12 July 2015 - 02:10 PM.

Nim.

+Gallery | Photoshop CC | +Stories

52ADX66.png

sig & icon by just.a.willow.tree @tda/hpft

#44 just.a.willow.tree

just.a.willow.tree
  • Graduate Artist
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:14 PM

your graphics are so beautiful, branwen. :loves: i love your bright and bold colors. :DD the way your style has developed, just, hnggggg.

keep it up! <33

love,

eva

eva gallery
Posted Image
* Leviathan! is the best ;;

#45 magnifique.

magnifique.

mrs. daisy ridley

• 1,317 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:34 PM

Hello there! I don't think I ever talked to you when I was here originally but I don't know why because your graphics are amazing. Your CIs have me practically swooning, the composition is just unreal, that's how great it is. I'm so excited to see more from you! :3

-Julie

just puttering around

julie. 23. she/they.

cDwmZ7w.png GRuW7nO.png VOAoMwH.png

| pw - Delanie M. & Zach F. & Aurora M. |

#46 tea cup

tea cup

scary spice

• Veteran Artist
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:21 AM

Hi Branwen! Here with your vault-bought short crit :D Obviously, we've done promo crit in very short form, so I'm going to make this a bit more detailed (like the more detailed forms of promo crit usually were in the past). You're also welcome to PM me if anything is unclear!

Text
Whilst generally your choice of text colour is great, sometimes I feel the placement and font choice doesn't quite flow. For example here, as it's far off to the side, whilst my eye is drawn to the big girl in the middle. Similarly here, the flow feeling of the swirl under the girl doesn't match with the font chosen for 'dark arts digest'. Focus on composition and placement of your text, and try to have it in mind from the start of the graphic. I'd also try and branch out from the very simple text you have going - try and make it the focus of a graphic on its own, and see what happens.

Image quality
I can see some blurriness of people, such as here, and the small girl here. Try and aim for cohesive image quality across the canvas - one person shouldn't be a higher quality than the other, just like how colouring should match. Quality in stock images is fine, so it may just come down to image selection for people.

Blending
Generally this is very good. The only place I'd pick on blending is here, as it looks like there's a halo around the small girl (and potentially cheat-y blending on the hair of the bigger girl, but thats less of an issue as we all do that, haha). 

Colouring
Watch for some skin tones that don't match (such as here). It's better in other graphics, so just watch it and make sure it is consistent across all of your work.

Use of stock and texture
Your combination of textures and stock in the headers and blend is great, and very unique. Its a simple style that youve got developing, relying on mostly neutral colours and a fair bit of simplicity. Keep playing around with it and see what happens, just be careful of being too simplistic or repetitive, such as with text or people placement (for example, the main people on your banners are, in 3 of 4 cases, in very similar spots).

Consistency
Your technique use is generally consistent across all your graphics (where its not, Ive mentioned it above), which suggests you have all the skills in hand. Just try and polish those things Ive mentioned!

-- ATLAS EYES --

Posted Image

PW1 - sig by starbuck. -- PW2

#47 starbuck.

starbuck.

hotshot

• Administrator
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:58 AM

helllllou our awesome FA!! :loves:

congrats on your shiny new gold colour ^_^ it was very well deserved! ;)

i pretty much love everything in your gallery but i think my favourites are definitely your first two headers and your last banner :drop: :wub:

wonderful signature by hamylton.
plNvuA.png
kristina || The Art of Being Nonchalant (Or Not) (M) || art&fic || hic sunt leones || artist q&a || copyright rules || UFG1 UFG2 UFG3 UFG4

#48 choobacca

choobacca

:wookie noises:

• Staff Moderator
  • 3,191 posts
  • Vault Points:1,664

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:08 AM

hi branwen! just stopping by to admire one of my favorite artists' galleries  :happy: not only do you make gorgeous graphics, but you also are one of the friendliest and most helpful members on tda.

this+ is one of my favorite things i've ever seen you make. it's so simple, and the coloring is dark and eerie yet warm. i love the purply tones in the shadows. i also think this+ is absolutely stunning! it's so simple. i love the lightning bolts and the blurred, kinda grainy background. and the tiny text! you make it work. it's not about the words. i also adore all of your colorizations. your tut on making them was SO helpful. it taught me how to do it. your technique is so great. and this+ banner....wow. it's amazing. the composition is so cool, as is the way you've used blending modes - i'm assuming that was your technique for making the girls blend in with the circles??. but maybe i'm wrong...the point is, you've done such an amazing job i cant even wrap my head around it xD

keep doing your thing!!!

xx alison <3

Posted Image

a l i s o n is unavailable . gallery  . formerly and peggy

#49 nancy drew.

nancy drew.

it's locked.

• Graduate Artist
  • 943 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:36 AM

Hey, Branwen! I wanted to stop by your gallery after perusing some of your image packs (which I'm really grateful for, by the way!), and I'm so pleased to find that what you make is just as pretty as what you provide. ♥ I think +this, for example, is just about the coolest thing I've ever seen. I love the grittiness of the glitter texture on the model's face, and the black on her hands -- the coloring in general is simply stunning! Your colors are overall very nice, really. The shininess and brightness of +this CI is enviable, especially since it's something I'm struggling with myself (and I love the font, too!). And, of course, your animation skills are really on point, especially in the blend with the six rectangles. I can't yet do animation, and am actually pretty scared to even attempt it, but yours looks really nice.

Overall, I think you've got a really solid gallery here! I'm looking forward to seeing what you're going to add to it in the coming months. :) I'll be watching for your next graphic! :hug:

Edited by TenthWeasley, 11 July 2016 - 10:40 PM.

r  a  c  h  e  l

Posted Image

girl sleuth.  || beautiful set from beautiful bex!

#50 TreacleTart

TreacleTart

Queen of The Squee Thread

• Senior Artist
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 04:02 AM

Hey Branwen,

I know I've told you several times how much I love your graphics and that your UFG is one of my absolute favorite places to visit on TDA, but then it occurred to me that I had been a terrible friend and failed to leave your gallery some love, so here I am to amend that error. :) 

If I had to sum this all up in one word, I think I'd say it's Perfection. You have a beautiful balance of light and dark colored graphics. Everything is really vivid and eye catching. In each section, I had to stop and slowly look through everything because it was all so good. Your images are all crystal clear and your text is literally my goal. :) I also liked that you included a few animated pieces and that they were all smooth and the animation flowed really nicely. Even the headers were really cool with the quotes on each section. And don't get me started on that gorgeous gallery header. It's seriously breath taking. 

Now, I'm going to try my best to pick out a few favorites, but just know that this was really tough because everything was stunning....

Hello Jon Snow! I thought that this banner was particularly lovely because the images are so crisp and even tough it's dark, it's very vivid. Plus the composition is really good. 

Colors I can't even imagine how you hard cut all of those curls. I mean her hair looks perfect. Teach me your secrets! The colors and textures on this banner are just so pretty. Definitely one of my faves.

This right here! Again, the colors! Sansa's hair is so vividly red and it contrasts so well with the background. I don't know how you colorize things the way you do, but it's truly stunning. Good work.

All in all, I was really impressed with your gallery. I couldn't find a weak point at all and I thought the running Game Of Thrones theme made everything very cohesive. Good work! I'll be back to stalk check out your gallery as you update it. 

:hug:

~Kaitlin

Kaitlin - My Gallery / Available

Posted Image

Gorgeous signature set by the incomparable Enigma

#51 Guest_RéaltaCleite_*

Guest_RéaltaCleite_*

Posted 17 September 2016 - 10:10 AM

Hi, Branwen. Your gallery is really beautiful and impressive. I have a few questions about setting the titles and I'll send PM later.

#52 TreacleTart

TreacleTart

Queen of The Squee Thread

• Senior Artist
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:49 PM

lroN20a.gif

Hey Branwen,

Swinging by for a moment to leave a bit of holiday love on your gallery.

I’m pretty sure I’ve already told you a million and three times that you are one of my favorite artists on TDA. I love your graphics so, so much and I often find myself browsing your Up For Grabs when I need inspiration to write a story. I think I have a list of about 15 banners of yours that I want to use for stories. (Hopefully, I’ll find my writer’s muse again and get back to that soon.)

One thing that I really love about your gallery is the layout. I think the really linear look that you have is really cool. It’s really easy for layouts to become too busy, particularly when using multiple colors, but the way you kept it really linear and minimal makes it work nicely.

I think you probably already know that I absolutely adore your colorizations. Seriously, you are a wizard with them. The bottom two are some of the best I’ve ever seen anywhere. The bottom one is my favorite of the two because of the metallic sort of shimmer you gave the girls skin and the greenish, bluish tinge to the whole image. It’s magnificent.

Wishing you happy holidays and a stress free new year filled with incredible adventures. :hug:

~Kaitlin

Kaitlin - My Gallery / Available

Posted Image

Gorgeous signature set by the incomparable Enigma

#53 ailhsa

ailhsa

the doctor is in

• UFG&Resource Moderator
  • 742 posts
  • Vault Points:284

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:55 PM

Branwen. My dear friend and confidante. I dunno how it took me so long to get here but let's do this!

I'm so amazed by all that you do. Even how your gallery is set up, just blows my mind. Your use of stock is amazing. It's effortless and everything blends together so well. And the colouring is subtle, but still really really good.

And your bigger blends and manips! HOW? THIS+ is hella cool. You've changed things in your gallery a bit, and though I loved the older stuff, I think 2017 takes you off to a great start. Believe it or not, my favourite thing in this gallery is not my sig (:D), but this beauty here+.

Happy New Year, darling! :wub:

Lia 

l i a

Posted Image

HPFTAO3 | Gallery | set: choobacca  :loves: 

#54 klutzy_kara

klutzy_kara

Zayn's #1 Bae

• Master Artist
  • 5,681 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:13 AM

Branwen, your manips are amazing :O

I'm a fan of your work in general, but I'd never seen those manips before and I'm stunned! They look so good, especially the second one (the vibrancy of the colors is really nice).  I also really like your first two banners. The composition is well done - in the first with the moon & the wolf, the second with the text & all the characters. And the combination of the different fonts really works too, which can be hard to achieve! I also really love the coloring +here and I'm in awe of those beautiful colorizations too (like damn, that last one must have taken you ages!! it's so good!). You are so talented <3

xo

Kara

i'm kara and i'm klutzy, obviously

Posted Image  

gallery |  available for requests | artist q&a

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users