#37 page thirteen.

page thirteen.

known to give the colour red the blues

• Staff Moderator
  • 1,855 posts
  • Software:Photoshop
  • Vault Points:812

Posted 01 November 2016 - 04:06 PM

amyyyy this is gonna be a bitesize critique for a bitesize challenge so i'm gonna do two weaknesses and a strength \o/ also, its been a while since i did critique so i might be a bit rusty :')

text
tbh, your text is, in general, very strong, but i'm nitpicking so forgive me :|| i think you have placement down pretty much perfectly but in your newer graphics, the text colour can be slightly off- i think this is a bit related to colouring, but compare the colour of +this text, which is kind of hard to read, with the text on your +continuous banners, where the text stands out completely. like i said, i think some of this is related to colouring (less colours on the graphic = less colour to pick a text colour from), but you have a similar problem +here with the smaller text, but also the fact that you have orange text on the orange background. the good news is that it's a simple fix (as you know!). in the first banner, i think if you had made the text in the middle be that lighter pink from the outskirts of the banner, it would have stood out more - i think this is something you'll figure out as you get more used to photoshop, but it's definitely something to look out for in future. also, when the background is particularly busy, a good thing to do is brush the opposing colour just behind it- so if your text is orange, brushing some blue behind it in a lower opacity can help it stand out more :') i like what you're doing with your text effects, especially, though because it's easy to go overboard, but i think the subtle text effects are working great for you :'D basically, watch out for text readability, especially in regards to colour \o/

colouring
i also love ur colouring so idk we're gonna ~*~elevate~*~ it - your new colouring style tends to focus on one tone, but your older graphics have these pops of colour that i think really help the colours stand out more. you can see it in your continuous base set: everything is sort of brown-toned, but you have pops of purple or gold that make the banner stand out, whereas +this for example is p brown. a tip someone gave me a while back is to work two colours into your base, and try to have them be opposing colours- which you did perfectly +here! the blue + gold contrast really well, so the colouring pops more! so with the brown banner, for example, you might work in some purple or blue to make the colours stand out more or, for example, the colour wheel opposite of +pink is green, so you could have (in that banner specifically) tried a bit of green- zi wrote a tutorial +here where she briefly covers putting in your own textures (i.e., dotted lines), which is something i do when i want to add a pop of colour to a textured banner without making it too soft, so you could try something similar in future textures banner to break up the colouring a lil! with stock, it's a bit more difficult, although when i do banners that are more earthy-toned (because outdoor stock :c ), adding a few images of flowers helps a little bit - red flowers, for example, on a green banner, would break up the colours a little. honestly, i think this is because you're still rocking ps a little (like i said up there ^ ) so i feel like a bit of experimentation is gonna help- especially gradient maps set on soft light on a low opacity, i think, they tend to add a few more colours in that you can manipulate; i can see you have the start of things +here with the pink/green, so you can use that as a baseline in the future. :') basically, your colouring is rad (it offends me that u have picked it up so quickly), so i feel no shame in offering you tips to make it even more rad :P

blending/base making
AFTER ALL THAT, i think this is where your strength lies rn - your stock use is hella, i feel like you have a ridiculously good grasp on when you need to hard cut and when to soft blend, and you're really adept at making bases that are super interesting even before you've done the text + colouring :') i think especially in your top two sigs, the stock use is fantastic (i struggle with stock sigs :c ) and basically, i have no critique here - i just think that you're doing so well with base making, i should point it out :'D

overall
lets be real for a sec amy, i think it's time for a new gallery header :|| you've improved so much that i don't think the header is an accurate representation of your skill anymore, it's time for a change :P so that'll be your next challenge, i'm afraid :P overall i was v scared to crit you because i'm pretty sure every graphic you've made lately is an improvement on the graphic before, so this critique will probably be moot by the end of the month, but yolo i guess :|| i also think you're clear to remove the spn sig + the oldest banner from your gallery just by virtue of your intense improvement :lol: but for real, you've done wonderfully in the past month, so i hope this helps at least a little bit c:

Posted Image
jade! - i look just like buddy holly ,
Posted Image
available via pm / crooked kind / q&a

#38 TreacleTart

TreacleTart

Queen of The Squee Thread

• Senior Artist
  • 1,662 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:18 PM

lroN20a.gif

Hey Amy,

Dropping by to leave you some gallery love for the holidays.

I can’t believe how much you’ve improved over the last few months. Seriously, your graphics have such a lovely crisp feel to them. I’m sure part of that is from the filtering on photoshop, but I know a lot of it is to do with your talent as well.

Your banners are all on fire. The comp on each one is really good and I love the different colors that you’ve used. The purple one at the top really pops in particular.

Your animated icons are cool too. I can only imagine how long that took to make. I don’t envy that task at all, but they came out really nicely. I have no idea what the gifs are of, but each one is really good.

Keep up the great work!

Wishing you happy holidays and an amazing new year! :hug:

~Kaitlin

Kaitlin - My Gallery / Available

Posted Image

Gorgeous signature set by the incomparable Enigma

#39 ailhsa

ailhsa

the doctor is in

• Junior Artist
  • 375 posts
  • Vault Points:205

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:11 PM

Hi Amy!

I got very curious after seeing this banner+ and decided to pop over to see what other wonders you have stowed away in here. The 'Memory Box' banner is my favourite of yours. Like I said in the 'squee thread', the colouring is fantastic. I love those sepia tones, coupled with the photographs. That was clever! 

Your style is very wistful and soft. This+ is another banner that stood out to me. The use of texture goes back well with what the banner was about in the first place. Again, I love these sorts of things. 

I hope to see you make more pretty things in the future!

Happy New Year!

Lia

L i a

R23GZZUZ.gif
8px61pE.png

HPFF | AO3 | Gallery | sig: moon.panda | icon: branwen 

#40 Vault 713

Vault 713
  • Graduate Artist
  • 476 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:14 PM

Hey Amy!! Saw your comment about your new headings (which are so pretty♡) and had to come visit :D

Gorgeous gallery! I really love how you've experimented with colors and colorings. Both your darker and brighter pieces are well balanced and super crisp.

Loving the animated pieces :D especially the A Series of Unfortunate Events sig. It's so creative and the comp is awesome.

I really adore the Harry/McGonagall CI!! Great coloring and image quality, lovely text, and the stock/texture work is fantastic!!

Also, that colorization is AMAZING!

:loves: super beautiful set by naboo.  :loves: 
mG1zObDE.png
ashley : Gallery : available (pm first!)

#41 azimuth

azimuth

I'll glomp the hug out of you

• Staff Artist
  • 1,336 posts
  • Vault Points:

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:41 PM

Hi Amy! :hiwave:

I just realised I've never posted in your gallery

which is obviously a terrible oversight that must

be corrected immediately :sean:

I must say, the things I love most about your

style are - a. your stock use(because obviously,

stock <333 :P )and b. your colouring. I really

love your subtle colouring - it's so, I dunno, soft

and beautiful :wub: :wub:

This+ and this+ have to be my favourite

pieces of yours, not only because of the above

reasons but because the animation is so smooth

and awesome! This+ has such an amazing

composition! I love the dramatic vibe it gives off,

plus the dark colouring fits so well! :wub:

Please keep making more stuff, so I can stalk

your gallery some moar :creepy:

AqsxXXz2.gif

Vanya ♥ Tutorial Gallery Stock
10xYkH21.gif

I am unavailable for requests.

#42 caomoyl

caomoyl

TDA's Accountant

• Vault Moderator
  • 343 posts
  • Vault Points:747

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

I totally thought I'd answered these already, so sorry for being so late at it.

amyyyy this is gonna be a bitesize critique for a bitesize challenge so i'm gonna do two weaknesses and a strength \o/ also, its been a while since i did critique so i might be a bit rusty :')

text
tbh, your text is, in general, very strong, but i'm nitpicking so forgive me :|| i think you have placement down pretty much perfectly but in your newer graphics, the text colour can be slightly off- i think this is a bit related to colouring, but compare the colour of +this text, which is kind of hard to read, with the text on your +continuous banners, where the text stands out completely. like i said, i think some of this is related to colouring (less colours on the graphic = less colour to pick a text colour from), but you have a similar problem +here with the smaller text, but also the fact that you have orange text on the orange background. the good news is that it's a simple fix (as you know!). in the first banner, i think if you had made the text in the middle be that lighter pink from the outskirts of the banner, it would have stood out more - i think this is something you'll figure out as you get more used to photoshop, but it's definitely something to look out for in future. also, when the background is particularly busy, a good thing to do is brush the opposing colour just behind it- so if your text is orange, brushing some blue behind it in a lower opacity can help it stand out more :') i like what you're doing with your text effects, especially, though because it's easy to go overboard, but i think the subtle text effects are working great for you :'D basically, watch out for text readability, especially in regards to colour \o/

colouring
i also love ur colouring so idk we're gonna ~*~elevate~*~ it - your new colouring style tends to focus on one tone, but your older graphics have these pops of colour that i think really help the colours stand out more. you can see it in your continuous base set: everything is sort of brown-toned, but you have pops of purple or gold that make the banner stand out, whereas +this for example is p brown. a tip someone gave me a while back is to work two colours into your base, and try to have them be opposing colours- which you did perfectly +here! the blue + gold contrast really well, so the colouring pops more! so with the brown banner, for example, you might work in some purple or blue to make the colours stand out more or, for example, the colour wheel opposite of +pink is green, so you could have (in that banner specifically) tried a bit of green- zi wrote a tutorial +here where she briefly covers putting in your own textures (i.e., dotted lines), which is something i do when i want to add a pop of colour to a textured banner without making it too soft, so you could try something similar in future textures banner to break up the colouring a lil! with stock, it's a bit more difficult, although when i do banners that are more earthy-toned (because outdoor stock :c ), adding a few images of flowers helps a little bit - red flowers, for example, on a green banner, would break up the colours a little. honestly, i think this is because you're still rocking ps a little (like i said up there ^ ) so i feel like a bit of experimentation is gonna help- especially gradient maps set on soft light on a low opacity, i think, they tend to add a few more colours in that you can manipulate; i can see you have the start of things +here with the pink/green, so you can use that as a baseline in the future. :') basically, your colouring is rad (it offends me that u have picked it up so quickly), so i feel no shame in offering you tips to make it even more rad :P

blending/base making
AFTER ALL THAT, i think this is where your strength lies rn - your stock use is hella, i feel like you have a ridiculously good grasp on when you need to hard cut and when to soft blend, and you're really adept at making bases that are super interesting even before you've done the text + colouring :') i think especially in your top two sigs, the stock use is fantastic (i struggle with stock sigs :c ) and basically, i have no critique here - i just think that you're doing so well with base making, i should point it out :'D

overall
lets be real for a sec amy, i think it's time for a new gallery header :|| you've improved so much that i don't think the header is an accurate representation of your skill anymore, it's time for a change :P so that'll be your next challenge, i'm afraid :P overall i was v scared to crit you because i'm pretty sure every graphic you've made lately is an improvement on the graphic before, so this critique will probably be moot by the end of the month, but yolo i guess :|| i also think you're clear to remove the spn sig + the oldest banner from your gallery just by virtue of your intense improvement :lol: but for real, you've done wonderfully in the past month, so i hope this helps at least a little bit c:

jadeeeeee! I basically responded to all this on Skype so I'll just say thank you again <3 It helped me a lot!

lroN20a.gif

Hey Amy,

Dropping by to leave you some gallery love for the holidays.

I can’t believe how much you’ve improved over the last few months. Seriously, your graphics have such a lovely crisp feel to them. I’m sure part of that is from the filtering on photoshop, but I know a lot of it is to do with your talent as well.

Your banners are all on fire. The comp on each one is really good and I love the different colors that you’ve used. The purple one at the top really pops in particular.

Your animated icons are cool too. I can only imagine how long that took to make. I don’t envy that task at all, but they came out really nicely. I have no idea what the gifs are of, but each one is really good.

Keep up the great work!

Wishing you happy holidays and an amazing new year! :hug:

~Kaitlin

Thank you so much, Kaitlin!

Those gif icons were a show called Lucifer which is super awesome and you should totally watch it! As for making the gifs, it did take a while, but it's still fun!

Hi Amy!

I got very curious after seeing this banner+ and decided to pop over to see what other wonders you have stowed away in here. The 'Memory Box' banner is my favourite of yours. Like I said in the 'squee thread', the colouring is fantastic. I love those sepia tones, coupled with the photographs. That was clever! 

Your style is very wistful and soft. This+ is another banner that stood out to me. The use of texture goes back well with what the banner was about in the first place. Again, I love these sorts of things. 

I hope to see you make more pretty things in the future!

Happy New Year!

Lia

Hi Lia! Thank you so much! <3

Hey Amy!! Saw your comment about your new headings (which are so pretty♡) and had to come visit :D

Gorgeous gallery! I really love how you've experimented with colors and colorings. Both your darker and brighter pieces are well balanced and super crisp.

Loving the animated pieces :D especially the A Series of Unfortunate Events sig. It's so creative and the comp is awesome.

I really adore the Harry/McGonagall CI!! Great coloring and image quality, lovely text, and the stock/texture work is fantastic!!

Also, that colorization is AMAZING!

Hi! Thank you!!! <3

Hi Amy! :hiwave:

I just realised I've never posted in your gallery

which is obviously a terrible oversight that must

be corrected immediately :sean:

I must say, the things I love most about your

style are - a. your stock use(because obviously,

stock <333 :P )and b. your colouring. I really

love your subtle colouring - it's so, I dunno, soft

and beautiful :wub: :wub:

This+ and this+ have to be my favourite

pieces of yours, not only because of the above

reasons but because the animation is so smooth

and awesome! This+ has such an amazing

composition! I love the dramatic vibe it gives off,

plus the dark colouring fits so well! :wub:

Please keep making more stuff, so I can stalk

your gallery some moar :creepy:

Hi Vanya!  Stock! <333 Thank you!! <3

2PssgJYH.gif
amy. +watching it burn

ecCMf6mD.png
huge thanks to my little buddy abhainn for the signature!
FFAB | HPFF

#43 klutzy_kara

klutzy_kara

Zayn's #1 Bae

• Staff Artist
  • 5,312 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:30 AM

Hi Amy! Congrats on your promo!  :wub: 

This is so well deserved, your graphics are lovely! Your animated icons for the A-Z challenge are amazing! I can't believe you managed to animate all of them - brilliant. I adore the composition and coloring on +this banner so much! Your use of roses in +this and +this banner is so gorgeous. I love your composition, especially on your banners. They all look so lovely! Your chapter images are so shiny too, which is amazing. Love your use of lightning :-) Can't wait to see more from you, you just keep getting better and better!

xo

Kara

i'm kara and i'm klutzy, obviously

CafBUYb.png UO0lf5p.png zEYRS21.png

gallery |  available for requests | artist q&a

#44 caomoyl

caomoyl

TDA's Accountant

• Vault Moderator
  • 343 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:44 PM

Hi Amy! Congrats on your promo!  :wub:

This is so well deserved, your graphics are lovely! Your animated icons for the A-Z challenge are amazing! I can't believe you managed to animate all of them - brilliant. I adore the composition and coloring on +this banner so much! Your use of roses in +this and +this banner is so gorgeous. I love your composition, especially on your banners. They all look so lovely! Your chapter images are so shiny too, which is amazing. Love your use of lightning :-) Can't wait to see more from you, you just keep getting better and better!

xo

Kara

Thank you so much! <3

2PssgJYH.gif
amy. +watching it burn

ecCMf6mD.png
FFAB | HPFF

#45 abhainn

abhainn
  • Member Artist
  • 143 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:28 PM

Hey, big buddy!

Lemme say, I just love everything in here! Mad props for your animated icons, they're absolutely amazing and that would definitely take some time and patience to do! I love how you use stock and all of your composition is amazing! Obviously, I'm in love with the signature you made me, and your text on all of your graphics really works! It's well placed and the fonts all work with the graphic. Your colourization is also incredible - it all looks so natural and I wouldn't have even known it hadn't started out like that in the first place! Your banners are definitely my favourite, and +this one is definitely my favourite! I love the colouring on it and how smooth it all is! I'm also completely in love with the Hamilton one, the animation is well placed and looks great!

Seriously, these all look amazing, so keep up the amazing work  :loves:

thanks to caomoyl for the set!

TFd8C2J.png
Shan||Gallery||Canada
Formerly ShannonElizabeth

#46 caomoyl

caomoyl

TDA's Accountant

• Vault Moderator
  • 343 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:48 AM

Hey, big buddy!

Lemme say, I just love everything in here! Mad props for your animated icons, they're absolutely amazing and that would definitely take some time and patience to do! I love how you use stock and all of your composition is amazing! Obviously, I'm in love with the signature you made me, and your text on all of your graphics really works! It's well placed and the fonts all work with the graphic. Your colourization is also incredible - it all looks so natural and I wouldn't have even known it hadn't started out like that in the first place! Your banners are definitely my favourite, and +this one is definitely my favourite! I love the colouring on it and how smooth it all is! I'm also completely in love with the Hamilton one, the animation is well placed and looks great!

Seriously, these all look amazing, so keep up the amazing work  :loves:

Hi little buddy!

Thank you so much! Those icons took me about a week. I still think I was crazy to even consider it :P I've always liked colourisations for some reason. Though it is a pain when the skin tone just won't go right :P But it feels so good when it does go right! I'm still not convinced I made that banner :P I shocked myself with that one! 

Thank you!!

2PssgJYH.gif
amy. +watching it burn

ecCMf6mD.png
FFAB | HPFF

#47 rsg

rsg
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:48 PM

Hello, 

I'm not sure how commenting in galleries work, but I just want to say I love your work. 

Not to mention I just started watching supernatural and seeing so much of it in your gallery has made me so happy!

I think that's why I had to leave a comment, I will defiantly be visiting often!

-Roz

#48 caomoyl

caomoyl

TDA's Accountant

• Vault Moderator
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:57 PM

Hello, 

I'm not sure how commenting in galleries work, but I just want to say I love your work. 
Not to mention I just started watching supernatural and seeing so much of it in your gallery has made me so happy!
I think that's why I had to leave a comment, I will defiantly be visiting often!

-Roz

Hi Roz! Welcome back to TDA!
Thank you so much! I'm a huge Supernatural lover so I can't not make graphics out of it :P

2PssgJYH.gif
amy. +watching it burn

ecCMf6mD.png
FFAB | HPFF

#49 cheriechapstick

cheriechapstick
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:27 PM

Amy!!!!! I had to stop by and see you're gallery because I don't think I've ever seen your graphics!!! So good to be back and I'm so happy you're making them because these are absolutely gorgeous! I love the composition that you have in these and the colorin it's so pretty!!!

You're amazing <3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users