#37 and peggy

and peggy

mc pee pants

• Duelling Arena Moderator
  • 2,639 posts
  • Software:Photoshop
  • Vault Points:1,664

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:19 PM

hi kara! i can't believe i've never posted in your gallery before omg i'm so terrible :| but i'm in love with this+ sig. seriously how do you do it :O your stock use and hard cuts are so so so cool. like what is this+ gem. and the coloring of your la la land banner is so fantastic. you were on hiatus for a while and now i feel like you're back with fire. like you're on fire. now that you're back :| okay anyway make more things pls thx.

a l i s o n

Posted Image

available - pm first . gallery 

#38 Lady Plantagenet

Lady Plantagenet

NaNo Word Count: 1740

• Staff Moderator
  • 10,291 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:30 PM

Hey Kara! What I absolutely love about your gallery is the variety. And everything is interesting and beautiful and so much fun to look at. Your banners are so cool, and THIS SIG+ is my favorite thing in your gallery. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! :wub:

formerly Glow || andrea

grlDnmC.png

gallery || AltheaG @AO3 || @artful_catholic on Instagram

Follow the Copyright Rules || sig quote by Percy Bysshe Shelley

#39 klutzy_kara

klutzy_kara

Zayn's #1 Bae

• Master Artist
  • 5,525 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:01 AM

nyx: thank you so much Alison! you are the sweetest, your comment means a lot to me! I've been feeling so inspired lately, like never before weirdly, so it's really nice to hear that I should keep rollin' with it! Maybe one day I will learn how to soft cut....

Glow: thank you Andrea!! it means a lot from you, especially considering all the horrific graphics of mine you've seen prior to this :P Glad you like the variety because I often worry things are too similar to each other! I desperately need to make things that are not sigs, for one, haha. But I'm just following my inspiration wherever it leads me! So thank you for the comment, it helps the inspiration keep going :-) 

School is draining all my time but as soon as I get some free time I will be churning out the graphics!!

xo

i'm kara and i'm klutzy, obviously

2mxdCuL.png
gallery |  available for requests | artist q&a

#40 Guest_RéaltaCleite_*

Guest_RéaltaCleite_*

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:03 AM

Hi! Thank you for stopping by my gallery. I've been curious to know what works you've done.

I was very amazed by your consistency on the theme, "lost in your love". I felt your affection and passion for each character on your graphics.

And the color combination in your most of the works, purple and yellow is impressive.  I like the signature with white flowers blended with your favorite color, purple the most, and the text is perfect!

#41 klutzy_kara

klutzy_kara

Zayn's #1 Bae

• Master Artist
  • 5,525 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:09 AM

RéaltaCleite: thank you!! That was definitely not intentional haha. I just liked the song Lost in Ya Love by Chris Brown a while back and thought it sounded like a good gallery title because I'm uncreative. But I definitely have an obsession with making romantic graphics/dramatic pieces so I'm glad you think it fits! Thank you so much for the compliments. I'm doing my best to try out some new color palettes now but I just can't help it because I love purple and gold so much oops!! But yes, thank you again :-)

Only three more weeks until I'm done with school so expect a lot more updates after that! (hopefully) 

Edited by klutzy_kara, 25 April 2017 - 01:10 AM.

2mxdCuL.png

#42 BrokenButterfly

BrokenButterfly

"and though she be but little, she is fierce"

• TDA Superstar
  • 575 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 04:43 PM

Hey Kara, I’m here with your requested critique. I’ll begin by saying, your artwork is amazing, I’m so in awe and I feel incredibly under qualified to offer critique, so I’ll do my absolute best to provide you my feedback.

So, what I think you do well is your blending and your use of stock and textures. I know you said that repetitive composition is an acknowledged weakness, but I don’t see it that way. For starters, you have a signatures style in your graphics, and your composition plays a significant role in that. I love that you can use a bunch of models and still have a clear focal point. Your blending is just superb and I can’t really say more than that. Your models are blended perfectly into the graphic and really feel as if they belong there which is not a technique to snub, because it’s very difficult to do. To have 99.9% (Because nothing can be perfect but you are so close) of the time is a feat worthy of praise. Your use of textures and stock flows well in each piece and I love that you have both elements represented throughout the gallery.  My all-time favorite graphic in your gallery right now is this+ because I love how you used textures and perfect blending but also because it gives the feel of being close together despite the texture background and the text separating the two models, very creative. Oh, and the text in that is just lovely.

Moving on to the elements that could still improve. Some of your coloring, some text and your repetitive use of models. Your coloring is bright and vibrant in most of your graphics and I love the subtle touch you have with it. However, there are certain graphics like This+ where it isn’t up to par with the remainder of your gallery. The signature in question has a focal point on a greyish, black and white model while the rest of the graphic is in color. Now, I’m not saying that it’s a bad approach by any means, but it is too noticeable in this and I feel that with the focal point being on that model it would be better to have a model in color. You have this same approach in other graphics, and I like your implementation of it for the most part (like in this+). The second signature has wonderful use of the semi color, semi b+w technique and I adore how you did it, for some reason it just didn’t work as well in the first sig. The rest of your coloring overall is light and fluffy and I love it.

Your text, is not a problem for the most part, I really like your experimentation with fonts, placements and colors with it. However, in 1 or 2 graphics it is hard to read either because of positioning or the font choice. Like this sig+ and this banner+. In the signature The majority is readable, it’s just one word I can’t decipher, I’ve got the small quote and the some lonely, but I can’t read the last cursive word. In the banner, I can’t read the small text under “Elenore” at all and I think it’s because of the same light color. Overall the text is well done, I’d just look out for the few areas it may not be readable.

Finally, your repetition  with models. It’s not that it’s a bad thing per say, however, I’d love to see more experimentation with other models. I know it happens, we all have favorite models that we just work well with, and make great graphics with so we keep coming back to them. This possibly is noticeable to me right now because my personal challenge to myself is to experiment more with models. Take this banner+ for example, the female model is in no less than 4 other graphics in your gallery. They are great graphics and she is very beautiful, but it just seems like too much of her. I totally understand if the use of her is because of making story graphics where she is the representation of a character, that would make sense. As I’ve said it’s not that it’s a bad thing at all, but it is something I found very noticeable and would recommend watching.

Your graphics are beautiful. I love the colors and the softness to them and there is no doubt you are talented. I really do feel under qualified to make these recommendations, so I hope that what I’ve said gives you some food for thought and is helpful for you. I look forward to checking back and seeing what other lovely pieces you compose. 

My Gallery+ | My FFN Page+ -M

Posted Image

Available | Please PM

#43 seraphine.

seraphine.

i shot the albatross

• Master Artist
  • 649 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:14 AM

hi kara! thank you for stopping by my gallery <3 i think you

were one of the staff/veteran artists whose galleries i used to stalk 

back when i first joined tda?? and wow everything here is gorgeous;

i love your style so much. your hard-cutting skills are amazing

and i love the way you use both stock and textures! +this sig is one of

my favorites, the gold coloring is so pretty. and the comp in +this banner

is to die for, idk how you manage to fit in so much without making it 

look cluttered. the subtle coloring in all your graphics is so so lovely  :loves: 

keep making more pretties for me to gush over pls!!

ramya; unavailable

QcoQoaC.png

gallery / q&a / tumblr

#44 klutzy_kara

klutzy_kara

Zayn's #1 Bae

• Master Artist
  • 5,525 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:41 PM

BrokenButterfly: Hi Taylor! Thank you so much for your thoughtful critique, it's been forever since I've had real constructive criticism and I really appreciate it :-) I agree with all your comments! I removed the sig, it's definitely one of my weakest. I totally feel you on the text, readability is often a struggle of mine, but I'll be more careful in the future! And my apologies for the repetition of models. They were all for the Make a Story UC last month, so the repetition was required, and I'm totally sick of them too LOL so I will make sure to step away from using them for a very long time I promise haha! Thank you so much for the compliments and critique, you are def qualified to have an opinion and I value it very much! Thank you thank you! xo

seraphine.: Thank you, Ramya! It means a lot that you like my stuff <3 Especially glad you don't think things are too busy and that my coloring is not too boring, as that's something I'm always concerned with! You are the sweetest, thank you for stopping by! 

Edited by klutzy_kara, 15 July 2017 - 02:42 PM.

2mxdCuL.png

#45 morganthegreat

morganthegreat
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:04 PM

wow I really like all your work! I'm new here, and want to maybe start up making graphics for extra practice. I'm studying graphic design in college and going into my 4th of 5 years! I've always wanted to visit Boston or basically anywhere on the East Coast (besides DC, been there before).

When did you get into making graphics? How did you find a certain style/vibe to all your pieces? I hope you keep up the good work because it's really beautiful and creative!

I hope you have a good day,

Morgan :)

#46 adorkable

adorkable
  • Graduate Artist
  • 1,171 posts
  • Software:Elements

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:03 PM

kara, i'm literally obsessed with your gallery!

your comp is incredible, especially in +this and +this

your CIs are perfection. the blending is perfection. i also adore the bright coloring in +this!!! and i love +this - it's so pretty and 13RW is such an awesome show.

i also love +this because of the coloring, amazing comp, and psych reasons  :creepy: 

ryan and emma look fabulous in +this - such a great movie too!

ugh i just want to squee everything here but i'm going to restrain myself  :edward: 

Isabel | unavailable | +gallery

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#47 klutzy_kara

klutzy_kara

Zayn's #1 Bae

• Master Artist
  • 5,525 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:37 PM

morganthegreat: Thank you so much for stopping by! That's awesome that you study graphic design. I started making graphics when I was eleven (2008, sometime). IIt's funny because I actually don't remember what inspired me to try making graphics myself?? I came here for a banner at first and I'm guessing I just started talking to people on the site bc I was that overly friendly clueless 11 year old and someone probably convinced me to make graphics myself. I downloaded GIMP for free and just started playing around with things, but then my parents got me Photoshop in August for my bday, and suddenly I couldn't leave haha. I was so young and so shy, and I had so much time on my hands, so this ended up being a really good outlet for me. I was on here all the time during middle school. I took a pretty long hiatus in 2011 because I decided I needed to leave and try to experience life away from my computer lol, although I was a bit on and off with it anyways because I was convinced for most of my high school years that I was going to go to art school and become a graphic designer. I fell in love with psychology tho so I decided to go to a liberal arts school instead, but I ended up coming back to graphics during winter break my freshman year (2015) out of pure boredom. I came back again Jan 2017, and I'm still here in July, so it's been my longest commitment to graphics in 6 years! Although there will obviously be times I don't have the time, as I'm starting to realize how close I am to being a real person now that I'm entering my senior year of college (YIKES), I feel v secure for my love for art as a hobby and an escape from real life in a healthy coping way instead of the obsessive, life-avoiding way it used to be. I don't regret not going to art school, because I absolutely love the track I'm on towards social work with the elderly population, but I realized that I did regret letting go of this creative outlet as it's such a huge part of who I was growing up (and who I am now!).  This was a very very long answer to your question. I just don't really know how to quantify my experience in a way that makes sense because I've always been so on and off with graphics haha and I feel like I have learned way more over the past few months as a 20 year old than I did in years as as a middle-schooler. 

As for the certain vibe, that just happens! I try really hard to not get too trapped into doing the same thing all the time. I used to be all about stock, but now I'm more into textures. I hardcut almost everything now, but I used to avoid it all costs. I'm super into purple rn or using two bold colors, but who knows where I'll go in the future? You try something new, you like it, you keep doing it, but then maybe you're over it the next month lmao. These preferences come and go, so I think it's important to try not to define yourself in terms of them or to ~force a style. Style isn't about doing the same things over and over again, but rather the consistency that arises when you try different things. I know I'll never be able to pull off dark and angsty the way Kristina (starbuck) does or intricate stock pieces the way Jordan (amoretti.) does or filter the way Alison (nyx) does or color the vibrant way Ess (heartfelt) does etc. And while I will try some darker pieces, or bolder text, or stronger coloring, or heavy-stock, I have a natural tendency to design things a certain way I guess?? We all do, and it's often hard for us to see for ourselves. I've always been told my coloring is v natural and usually soft, but what really makes a graphic ~me is hard to describe. I feel like I'm always changing or evolving (or at least I hope I am), so my advice for you would to just keep doing things (different things!! things you would never normally do!!) and you'll find your own vibe/style is hidden beneath all that :-) 

((I talk way too much...I am so sorry))

adorkable: Isabel, you're so sweet!! I'm really glad you like those pieces xo I adore your gallery just as much. I have such complicated feelings about 13 reasons why tbh. There are definitely some things I liked and some things I didn't, but it's certainly a show that makes you think and a good place for some graphics inspo. I meant to make more pieces about it, but never got around to it. Maybe more are on the way, who knows! The banner was for a request, but I must say, I too was happy to see the psych reference haha! We def must talk psych sometime! Thank you for stopping by, it really made me smile!

xo

Edited by klutzy_kara, 23 July 2017 - 04:43 PM.

2mxdCuL.png

#48 and peggy

and peggy

mc pee pants

• Duelling Arena Moderator
  • 2,639 posts
  • Vault Points:1,664

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:49 PM

hi karaaa! it's been a while since i've popped by here so i just wanted to say hello and how it's been so great to see your lovelies again. i mean you've been active again for a while now but i'm super slow x) you have such a distinct style and everything you makes has this collage-like element to it, which i think is really cool. the gold highlights here+ are amazing. but then you have really smooth graphics like this+. also your coloring is amazing <333 keep making things pls.

a l i s o n

Posted Image

available - pm first . gallery 

#49 ailhsa

ailhsa

the doctor is in

• UFG and Resource Moderator
  • 522 posts
  • Vault Points:284

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:52 PM

KARA!

What kind of new friend am I that I've never posted in here? I think what strikes me most about your graphics is that they're so rich and vibrant, you know? You may not have a lot of stock added or textures, etc, but the colouring really makes you stop to look at them. The +golden CI, for me, emphasises this point a lot. 

In terms of +this banner though, I think it speaks more to your ability to be versatile? Taylor mentioned repetition with your use of models, and such, but that banner shows me that you've got a little more up your sleeve that I'd like to encourage you to experiment with more. And of course, I'm happy to see +this make it into your gallery.  :happy:

Lia <3

L i a

Posted Image

HPFF | AO3 | Gallery | set: and peggy  :loves: 

#50 klutzy_kara

klutzy_kara

Zayn's #1 Bae

• Master Artist
  • 5,525 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:34 PM

Alison: Thank you !! You are so sweet, this was totally unexpected and totally makes my day whenever I read it :-) School is taking all my time away from my graphics so the encourage is much needed. I'm glad you like those two pieces especially, since they were a bit more of an experiment than I am used to! Ty for being the sweetest as usual, sending you all my love xo

Lia: Omg, don't worry about it! I am totally going to return the favor for you ASAP :-) I'm glad you like the coloring. I feel like that's actually where I need to be more diverse lmao but I'm glad you think it works. I know I have a bit of an obsession with Zayn and that probably won't go away ever but I am otherwise trying to avoid the same people I promise. Thanks for stopping by Lia, you're the best! <3

Thank you both for your unexpected visits!! I've had the craziest month ever but I'm hoping to get back into things ASAP because I miss graphics so much :'( 

xo

2mxdCuL.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users