38 replies to this topic

#1 Violet

Violet

Grumpy Old Violet

• Veteran Artist
  • 12,478 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

Too many issues with crediting still remain, even if, in my mind at least, it's a very easy thing to fix.

To begin, why do I need a credit list?
There are two reasons.

1. You are giving credit to the people who have made the stuff you use. Every single image you use to make your graphics is the result of someone else's time and energy, and thus, in thanks, you are giving them something in return. Since we rarely pay these people for the use of their resources, as we would for a set of paints and paintbrushes, we instead give credit.

2. You are sharing your resources with others so that they, too, can make use of these wonderful things with which you produce your graphics. If someone asks me where I got a texture or image, I can right away go to my resource list and pass along the link. We are a community of artists, and therefore we share what we can.

In order to receive promotion, you must have a credit list. If you are a Staff Artist without a credit list, we will hound you until you include one, and if necessary, we will threaten you with demotion. I have kept a credit list since 2005, so I have no sympathy with anyone who complains - it is a safeguard against being accused of ripping and it shows that you respect the people who made the stuff you use.

TDA allows artists to post their credit lists onsite or within their galleries, usually at the bottom. Off-site locations such as Livejournal, tumblr, blogs, and personal websites are great places to store your resources because you can take up as much space as you want and you'll be less likely to lose it in case we suffer another crash. Links are not required - as long as you include names and provide direction to the site (ex: "username @ DA"), we're happy.

But how do I know what to include?
Here is a list of things you should always include:

1. any place you obtain stock images, special photography, screencaptures, or scans from magazines, etc.

This does not include sites for film/tv promos, most images of celebrities, or images specifically labelled as "public domain". This means that "celebrityname.net gallery" is not necessary to include because most of those images are regarded as "public". However, "Home of the Nutty" you would because those are screencaptures that someone especially made, and it's polite to credit them - every set of screencaptures is unique, that's the difference.

2. all textures, brushes, and other special additives

So if I download a texture pack from tumblr, I would include in my list the name of the maker (and with tumblr, always trace back to the source). This does not include fonts unless the site where you got the font requires you to give credit.

3. any place you obtained something you have used in your graphics where they have asked you to give credit.

As TDA's copyright rules clearly state, if the source requests credit, then you add the name to your list. Simple as that.

What should I not include?
If I see any of the following sites in your credit list, I will not be responsible for my behaviour:

1. Google Images (or any image search engine)

2. Dafont.com - because fonts tend not to require crediting. Do check with the maker, though, just in case.

3. Photobucket.com or tinypic.com

4. tumblr (too general - you must always include the specific username)

5. Deviantart (again, too general - be specific!)

6. things you made yourself (including screencaptures, photography, etc.)

Another important thing to note is that you should keep, somewhere, a complete list of credits for all of your resources, whether you've used them for years or have them saved on your computer without ever having used them. The more prepared you are now, the more time you will save in the future. This is the benefit of the off-site credit list because you can throw everything into it and just leave it.

How should my credit list look?
As neat and understandable as possible. You could, for instance, list all the Deviantart accounts together, or you could organize by type of resource.... anything works as long as it makes sense.

Please check your current credit lists to make sure that they are sound and solid for promotion time, and for any time we may invade your gallery. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask because we would rather have you ask so that we don't have to hunt you down with angry messages.

Edited by Violet, 29 April 2013 - 03:04 PM.

Posted Image
tumblr (M) ~*~ fanfiction ~*~ gallery
not available for requests

#2 Miss-Spam-A-Lot

Miss-Spam-A-Lot

We Are All Lost Souls─

• 1,377 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

question, what if we get all our fonts from dafont? do we need to go to dafont and find all the different people who made the fonts? Or should we do something else?

{not available} {rp tumblr} {teen wolf screencaps}
Posted Image
Previously known as WolvesOfTheNewMoon

#3 Violet

Violet

Grumpy Old Violet

• Veteran Artist
  • 12,478 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

Fonts don't need crediting unless the maker requests it specially. I'll make that more clear in my post. :)

Posted Image

#4 Miss-Spam-A-Lot

Miss-Spam-A-Lot

We Are All Lost Souls─

• 1,377 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:25 PM

ah okay, thank you for the quick answer. :)

{not available} {rp tumblr} {teen wolf screencaps}
Posted Image
Previously known as WolvesOfTheNewMoon

#5 GiGi_Jodie

GiGi_Jodie
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

Is it okay that I, from now on, will save the credits? Cause there is no way I know the credits to all the images I have on my computer now :O

gallery ♔[/size] tumblr

Posted Image

If you get lost, you can always be found

Just know youre not alone

#6 maleficent

maleficent
  • Master Artist
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:31 PM

If you don't know the appropriate people to credit for the images already on your computer, then you shouldn't use them in any of your graphics. You need to provide credit for all of the resources you've used in making the graphics in your gallery, not just some of them.

#7 AlwaysAvery

AlwaysAvery

strut like a penguin

• Banned
  • 713 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:43 AM

Hello, sorry if this question has been addressed somewhere else, but when crediting, do you put the link to the exact website where you got the image?

Also, for example, if I got a picture of a celebrity from a fansite, do I need to link the page where I got the picture in my credits?

Thank you! :)

(Sorry that I'm a little confused, because I'm new to this :P)

AVERY ★ GALLERY ★ Freda (leg0las_luvr) owns my soul

#8 daredevil

daredevil

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡ )

• Veteran Artist
  • 3,454 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:06 AM

^linking to your resources isn't required, (though if you want to, go ahead!), and celebrities don't need credit for their fansites, because those images are considered public ;)

but if you were (for example) crediting a texture pack from deviantart, you would need to credit their username ____@DA . And if you wanted to link, it's honestly up to you to link to the resource page, or to the user's profile.

hope this helped!

Edit; Nymerias right. Some people require you to link, others don't. It depends on their terms of use, really.

Edited by VeeKAY, 18 October 2012 - 04:35 PM.

(ノ◕‿◕)ノ*:・゚✧

vee & gallery & beautiful set by doctor ziegler

5tlzvyL.png

★ texture pack texture pack v.2 digital painting tutorial & prev: legolas.

#9 starbuck.

starbuck.

hotshot

• Administrator
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:03 AM

actually, a lot of the stock providers on deviantart require you to link back to them (and some want you to notify them of usage, whether it be on deviantart or tda or anywhere else).

wonderful signature by hamylton.
plNvuA.png
kristina || The Art of Being Nonchalant (Or Not) (M) || art&fic || hic sunt leones || artist q&a || copyright rules || UFG1 UFG2 UFG3 UFG4

#10 Darcy Lewis

Darcy Lewis
  • 235 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

I'm sorry if this sounds stupid >.<' but what about screencaps? when I take screencaps from i.e Harry Potter myself do I just write down the name of the movie or do I put up a link to something? sorry I'm new to this all   :?

{resources+stock pack}

dearsanta_by_mitternachtsblau-dbv7hs3.pn

Anika ~ needs years to put together a Gallery ~(O.O')

#11 winter soldier

winter soldier

current sexuality: the winter soldier

• Veteran Artist
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

If you take the screencaps yourself, you don't have to credit them. Just put a note somewhere that you took the screencaps yourself. If you take screencaps someone else made, you'll have to credit the person who made those screencaps. Hope this clears it up. 

Posted Image

NEW GALLERY && amazing sig by badlandr || Previously Mercury

#12 Darcy Lewis

Darcy Lewis
  • 235 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

Ah okay Thank you very much! I was a bit confused about that thank you for explaining.  :laugh:  :D

{resources+stock pack}

dearsanta_by_mitternachtsblau-dbv7hs3.pn

Anika ~ needs years to put together a Gallery ~(O.O')

#13 TheUniverse

TheUniverse
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

Thanks so much, kind of lost (was lost)

#14 merveilleux.

merveilleux.

You sir, are a capricious, mercurial fool.

• 323 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:39 AM

Thank you!! Very useful :)

Abhi    {previously misericorde.} +[Im here to keep the ghosts away]

gorgeous set by the brilliant Tilly (Mintleaf.) <3

#15 greynade

greynade
  • Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

What if my gallery does not use any outside resources?

#16 Violet

Violet

Grumpy Old Violet

• Veteran Artist
  • 12,478 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

Do you mean that you make all of your own resources, including stock, textures, and other additives?  If so, then still state that you are the creator so that no one gets confused by your lack of a proper credits list. 

Posted Image

#17 greynade

greynade
  • Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

Do you mean that you make all of your own resources, including stock, textures, and other additives?  If so, then still state that you are the creator so that no one gets confused by your lack of a proper credits list.

That is indeed what I meant. Thanks for the quick response.

#18 Serpentis

Serpentis
  • 11 posts
  • Software:Other

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:18 AM

:ermm: could we get some examples of well done lists --

cuz basically everything I've been working with is

either fan-site or promo shots or

comes from places that are public domain or don't require any crediting (like morgue which is free to do anything but repost w/o changing)

-- so if I understand this right this none of that stuff needs credits (and it's looking like my creds list would be real short )  :confused1:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users