#19 steve harrington

steve harrington

Kimi no Na wa

• Off Topic Moderator
  • 583 posts
  • Software:Photoshop
  • Vault Points:294

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:55 PM

Hey Alison! Just stopping by to return the favor! I adore your "the only exception" banner! The use of stock is so nice. Your hard cuts are honestly to die for! Honestly all of your hard cuts across all your graphics are flawless. It's super impressive! Your Taylor chapter image is soooo nice! I still am not super into chapter images so seeing your success makes me want to keep trying. Thank so much for stopping by my gallery earlier! I really appreciated it! I can't wait to get to know you some more!

Fillory and Further

pLsVqp.png

Rodrigo • 21 • Joe Keery Enthusiast formerly .v0ldiemort

thank you ronnie (styles.)

#20 lucida.

lucida.

Rebelle et Coeur

• UFG&Resource Moderator
  • 418 posts
  • Software:Other
  • Vault Points:919

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:26 PM

^Hey! Thanks for stopping by! I actually really hate chapter images ;-; they make me so angry! Feel free to PM me any time by the way :)

Edited by lucida., 04 November 2017 - 05:26 PM.

Alli

Posted Image
Most recent Digest issue * Stunning sig by choobocca * M. Langley and C. Gosse on PW  * Audacity to Matter

#21 Newt Scamander.

Newt Scamander.

Skaikru

• Requesting Arena Moderator
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:41 AM

Hey Alli, I'm here with your requested critique. :)

I'm just going to say what I say to everyone else, this is my own personally opinion. What I think will be 1000% different to
Another Artist. It's just how it happens. 

First love the comp on your header! Amazing comp. 
Now you haven't really asked for anything specific except clutter ness and slapping stuff onto a canvas. +comp and text is general (I used to say this about myself too :P) so I'm just going to go through with some points that I can see. :hug: 

I can see you're already experimenting with so much stuff which as a member is great as it broadens your skills at such a young age (I never experimented :P terrible, but honest.) I love the comp your experimenting with and your text placement. 
I think you need to head on over to +da font and download a heap of fonts, like tones, so you can start to experiment with more than Georgia and times new roman. At the moment you have excellent comp, and quality and even the text placememnt is great, but it's bland. There's nothing that says pop here I am. 

I think because your comp is actually pretty good, you could experiment with some real popping, eye catching coloring. Download some gradients and don't e afraid to add like 20 - 30 on top of each other on different capacities and settings. Also throw in some curves and and black and white gradient on soft light on around 40 - 50% opacity and it's perfect for your contrast!! :D Also, check out and give our coloring tuts a try on here too! A lot of people use selective coloring which should be an option on your program (i've just ranted on about all this stuff you could try and experiment with and you may not even be able to!) if these are options with your program, you should 100% give these a try. 

Your hard cutting is fantastic and I can't see any halo's on many of your graphics, just watch some harshness with hard cutting like the hair on +this one upside down man, his hair line is a little too harsh, but still nicely cut around his face! 
+this is fantastic!! The comp is perfect, its lacking popping color and text, but placement on everything on this is perfect!! 

Something I am noticing is that there are a lot of repeat pictures in your gallery (i'm extremely guilty of this! like 100000000% guilty), try and broaden your variety of models, actor and actress etc. just a little bit, i'm seeing a lot of ^ sad guy with harsh hair line, a lot.

Something, a personally recommendation, that I used to do when I was a member and junior, I would never leave my old graphics that weren't my strongest point in my gallery for longer than a month, because I needed the admins to see that I had grown as an artist and not at what they used to look at.  Whether I knew in myself what was my strengths and weakness' or whether I went to the help me choose thread, I always made a habit of getting rid of the weakest links. I'm only seeing two in my opinion right now which are +this and +this. Your other pieces are a lot stronger and are showing the style you're developing. 

I honestly don't think you have  problem with comp, or text placement. Just a little bit of color popping and text adjustments, and you'll be soaring past me in no time!!! I can't see any cluttered graphics either, so i'm not sure where you may of plucked that from?? Comp and especially your quality is pretty exceptional for a member Artist!! 

Keep up the good work babes, and if you need any help or tips/tricks, coloring help, anything you know where my inbox is!! :hug: 

amazing set by beyond the rain

+May We Meet Again.

Posted Image
+stories

#22 lucida.

lucida.

Rebelle et Coeur

• UFG&Resource Moderator
  • 418 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:39 PM

Thank you so much for this!! I have been trying to use gradients and blending modes but I've been scared of over doing it, I'll try and be a little bit more adventurous with it!! Sadly I can't download any fonts, though ;-; Once again, thank you, this was really helpful <3 

Edited by lucida., 08 December 2017 - 04:43 PM.

Alli

Posted Image
Most recent Digest issue * Stunning sig by choobocca * M. Langley and C. Gosse on PW  * Audacity to Matter

#23 episkey.

episkey.
  • Graduate Artist
  • 200 posts
  • Vault Points:222 points

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:12 AM

Hey there, Alli! I really love your gallery! All of your work is so beautiful  :hearts:

- k e l s e y-

Posted Image

beautiful sig and icon made by KaYLO REN // gallery // previously darliingfunerals

#24 lucida.

lucida.

Rebelle et Coeur

• UFG&Resource Moderator
  • 418 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:45 PM

Hiya! Sorry it took so long to reply, I didn't see it before :| But thank you so much <3 It's nice to meet you, Kelsey :) I've been meaning to stop by your gallery actually because I've seen some amazing stuff of yours around recently  :happy:

Alli

Posted Image

#25 wildest dreams.

wildest dreams.

that james dean meme dream

• Master Artist
  • 4,159 posts
  • Vault Points:293

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:30 PM

hey alli!

i just thought i'd stop by and tell you how much i love the stuff you've been making lately!

that purple blend i just really really love it's so pretty! and your sigs are so cool and interesting <3

i especially love this+ one i really like it when you use full colour! the colouring is very pretty and i'd love to see more of that!

i definitely can't wait to see more of you, you've been improving so much lately and i definitely think you're going to have a great year of graphics making <3

- hannah!

#26 lucida.

lucida.

Rebelle et Coeur

• UFG&Resource Moderator
  • 418 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:17 PM

Hello Hannah!! Thank you so much for stopping by, this was a wonderful thing to log on to <3 I'm glad you like the full color, I've been meaning to experiment with it some more! Once again thank you so much <3 

Alli

Posted Image

#27 prongsbeak

prongsbeak

TDA's Resident Ghostbuster

• Graduate Artist
  • 3,139 posts
  • Vault Points:221

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:30 AM

congrats on winning MC Alli! :yahoo: I've seen your graphics lately and they are amazing!!! :wub: it's a well deserved promo! ^_^

previously prongsgallery | hpft | Sofia is available

WHNTJh5.png

#28 lucida.

lucida.

Rebelle et Coeur

• UFG&Resource Moderator
  • 418 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:28 PM

OMG thank you so much!! (sorry that I am trash at checking replies on my gallery ;-; ) That really means a lot, thank you again <3 <3 

Edited by lucida., 17 January 2018 - 07:28 PM.

Alli

Posted Image

#29 wildest dreams.

wildest dreams.

that james dean meme dream

• Master Artist
  • 4,159 posts
  • Vault Points:293

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:57 PM

hi alli! i'm here for your requested critique!

you've asked for section by section so I'm going to go through that way! as you're still at a junior artist i'm going to focus mostly on technical skills that'll hopefully start to elevate you up, but you do already have the beginnings of a style so I definitely want to encourage you to develop that too! <3 

Chapter Images

So, I actually think these are some of the strongest graphics in your gallery! This+ is a gorgeous combination of the mono you're so good at already and the composition you should be aiming to develop on. Your chapter images all seem to have a very similar composition in common, where you have one big person and some textures to offset what little negative space. Chapter images to me, are a good way to expand your composition when you're struggling with things like building up depth, because it's not as intimidating as a blend but it's square so you have some space to work with. I think your challenge should be to work on a composition that involves smaller models and mess around with the space a little more, rather than having the whole space taken up my models! if you're struggling with this, you've got a really nice grasp on text and putting it on your graphic, perhaps try a CI where you put the text on first, and then position some smaller models around it, sometimes I find that's a very easy way to practice more complex composition when you're still finding an eye for it. 

I also just want to touch on your colouring in this section! specifically on this+ piece, i can see looking through your gallery that you're more comfortable colouring mono graphics, which is great! but when you're colouring skin you want to avoid this heavy red tone that you can see on his skin, generally that comes from overcolouring! i know you use pixlr and colouring options are a touch limited - i did have a little go just to see what you're working with, and I can see how it's really easy to overcolour using those, because you're stuck between having very little colour and wanting to make what colour you do stand out. however! i would suggest keeping all your settings low, and building up your colouring bit by bit as you adjust everything. Try to keep skin colours looking like skin colours, and when you have warm colours like red and purple using blues and yellows can be really helpful to offset them! If it's possible using gradient maps on low opacity might also be a really good way to add colours to your graphic, and then putting levels layers underneath (still on low settings, I noticed it went from nothing to intense very quick) to bring out those colours on your graphic!

i think that's it for chapter images, you have a really great start with them and I can't wait to see you do more!

Banners

now, you said these were your weak point so I'll try focus on them a little bit! I think the biggest thing I notice on your banners is your composition is very either to the left or to the right, which is actually a very hard composition to pull off generally so I love that it's where you naturally want to experiment towards! however, i'd love to see you branch out and put some things more towards the middle, I'd also love to see you attempt to put more than one person on a banner! i know that can be daunting, but the biggest thing about banners is keep everything within the middle two thirds of the graphic, especially while you're learning and when you're putting multiple people on graphics never have two people's eyes level with each other, it'll ensure that your graphic never looks flat! if you look for example on this+ banner of mine, no one is level, or looking the same way, for some reason the direction people's eyes are facing really influence where you look at the graphic, and give the graphic a sense of depth. the other good trick is to have everyone looking towards your focal point on the graphic, so in the banner i just linked the text + small guy is the focal point, and therefore when you look at it your eyeline goes text > guy > girl on the right that the guy is looking at, and then the girl on the left is looking in the direction of the text to reinforce the fact you should look at the text! 

this sounds complicated but all you have to do is decide on your focal point, and use the rest of the banner to draw attention to it! and that's how you make multiple people banner work! usually it'll be your text, because people almost always read the text first on a banner! which brings me to this+ banner of yours, I wanted to flag just because the text is very big, and your person very small, so your eyeline actually goes more to the end of 'heaven' and never quite comes back far enough to take in the guy + the quote properly, which means they get lost in the composition! usually it's better to make text smaller, and interact with the person a little to reinforce you're meant to look at the person! what could have helped was putting another person the other side of heaven and then putting the quote over that side of the banner! you've actually achieved this well here+ which is also why compositions that head to the right are easier because you read left to right as well :P but the fact the text is interacting with him makes it better! on this particular banner though I would have placed the quote lower, you generally shouldn't have text in the top third of a banner as this can make it look unbalanced!

the final thing i want to note is just be careful about your hard cutting here+ the top of her head looks a little cut off! the most important thing when hard cutting is that even if you do happen to shave a bit of a person's hair or body off to make it look like that body part still, so rounding that off into a head shape would avoid her looking slightly dented, and made your drop shadow look a little neater too!

that's all i've got for banners too! don't worry, they're not easy to get a grasp on, so just keep practicing and experimenting with them because usually what's your weak point when you're still developing becomes a strength later because you have to work so hard on it :P

Signatures

so i just want to start by saying that this+ is probably my favourite thing in your whole gallery, and pretty much encompasses what i want to say about your signatures! what i love about it is that it has an interesting background, and really shows off your mono skills, but also has a foreground that's not mono and draws the eye! i also really love your use of pngs and different depths and eyelines in the sig! it's definitely something I think you could have encompassed into your other sigs, particularly this+ one where I would have liked to see a smaller colour image of the girl in front of the giant letter, and perhaps some variation in colour, because it's very much all the same colour (I do really support the use of pink mono, tho, definitely need to see more of that in the world :P) on this particular sig too I also would have perhaps seen the text in a different colour, perhaps even white or very light pink! as for this+ sig i love everything about it! other than again, perhaps adding more people would make it more interesting, and I think the text would have looked good position just above his shoulder, tilted towards the left! 

generally your signatures have some great concepts to them, and I really love the story telling in your texture use on the middle sig! again, I think you could just elevate things by looking into more complex composition! 

Icons

The one set you have is really good, i like the varying cuts and colours on them! the only thing I would say is they look a touch under contrasted, but i definitely think you should make more and experiment with your texture use on them!

Blends

I really like the two you have! Everything I could say about them I think has been addressed above, if you find blends intimidating don't worry, but they're a really great big old space to work on things like mixing textures and experimenting with composition so definitely don't be afraid to try more! I also really like that you have graphics of different sizes in this section! On the big blend you have I really like the way you've used the textures to make the model look more part of the composition and not just floating there, which is really good! I definitely just think adding more people/textures to create some more depth/more to look at would really elevate your blend to new heights! so just experiment with them a bit!

Clean out!

Chapter images - x

banners - x

signatures - x

icons - keep what you have and make more

blends - keep what you have but definitely replace both once you make some more

Squee!

I honestly really love the way you approach graphics, considering you have a distinct disadvantage in terms of using pixlr I think everything you make is amazing! I love your fearlessness with using monochrome, and the way you definitely try composition that's pretty out of the box! my top three things in here are this+ this+ and this+ <3

i hope that was somewhat helpful! any questions please let me know my inbox is always open if you need someone to look over a graphic! just to recap, work on developing your colouring of people, and trying to branch out to 2/3 people on a graphic and more complex composition! <3

- hannah

Edited by wildest dreams., 20 March 2018 - 01:58 PM.

#30 lucida.

lucida.

Rebelle et Coeur

• UFG&Resource Moderator
  • 418 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 02:55 PM

Thank you so much for this Hannah <3 I really appreciate how much you broke everything down, it is super useful. Super thank you for going in depth with the banners, I've already started trying to work on the things that you mentioned! :kiss:

Alli

Posted Image

#31 jellybean jones

jellybean jones
  • Member Artist
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:48 PM

hello! i'm absolutely in adoration of your monochrome work (and the almost monochrome works) because despite the lack of colors...you have so much depth and mood in your pieces! keep up the great work!!

pL1IOe.png

sammi | gallery
thanks kristina for the gorgeous sig!

#32 nomad

nomad

we are the reckless

• TDA Superstar
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:58 AM

i am a total fan of your composition skills

the negative space in this+ chapter image is to die for, and it's bright yellow to boot! 

i'm a huge fan of this+ banner, the monochrome suits it so perfectly 

blends intimidate the heck out of me, so i am complete in awe of this+ piece 

keep up the good work!

CALL ME KAT

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
available for requests.

lovely tonight*

#33 Kirjava

Kirjava

The future Mrs. Shona Eddie Redmayne (one day)

• TDA Superstar
  • 742 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:00 PM

Hey Alison!

Just thought I would drop by with a comment since I was erm...stalking a little :hide:

You have such a way with monochrome and colour <3 I'm an absolute sucker for monochrome, and gosh the way you pull of your grey scale with colour combinations is absolutely gorgeous <3 Keep up the magnificent work - absolutely love this <3

Shona

Shona

Into this Wild Abyss

Posted Image

Bex (Beyond the rain) loooooves me looooves loooves me!

#34 lucida.

lucida.

Rebelle et Coeur

• UFG&Resource Moderator
  • 418 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:04 PM

Sammi - Hello!! I have been meaning to stop by your gallery for so long so seeing you in mine is such a pleasant surprise <3 Thank you so much for stopping by <3 

Kat - Omg blends stress me out too <3 I never use yellow so I'm glad someone likes it  :happy: Thank you so much <3 

Shona - Hello Shona! You are so nice <3 Feel free to stalk here whenever lol Thank you for this, I really appreciate it <3 <3 

Alli

Posted Image

#35 hamylton.

hamylton.

TDA's Accountant

• Vault Moderator
  • 713 posts
  • Vault Points:1044

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:48 AM

Hi Alli!
I can't believe I've never posted in your gallery before! It's been so nice to see you get better and better, especially recently! You're experimenting a lot with comp and it looks amazing! I really love your partial mono in +this and +this, as well as the colouring and text on them! They both have really great focal point too! My favourite graphic of yours has to be +this blend! The comp and text are both amazing!
-Amy

amy. +watching it burn previously caomoyl

vBHhsb.png

beautiful signature by starbuck.! | FFABHPFT |

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users