91 replies to this topic

#19 Peter Quill

Peter Quill

Witch of the Wilds

• Graduate Artist
  • 920 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

*snuggles Ruth, Karly and Zoe* Thanks guys!

Meghan ♣ Available(PM first) ♣ cs6 ♣ 2 @PW  Gallery

hPn5qe7.png

twitch(12+)  ♣ set by me 

#20 rock&roll!

rock&roll!

tda's biochemist-to-be

• 482 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

Hey boo <33 here with your critique.

Obviously I don't know what goes through the staffers' minds when they promote people, but Imma try to help you as best I can!

So I have a few things I think you could work on: stock, colouring and blending (mainly of people).

Lets start with stock.  Use some!! :P I know that you, like me, are a texture lover.  This is great, but sometimes you need a little bit of stock in your life.  This is also important for promotion because you need to show that you can use both, and currently you have pretty much no stock based things in your gallery.  Experimenting with base making from stocks really helps with focal point and stuff, and also with composition - your composition is all quite similar and comfortable at the moment because of the textures you're using, but I think you could be a little more creative.  I know stock is scary at first (okay scary always) but you can always put textures on top!

Colouring - I don't think you colour enough.  The great thing about colouring is that, when properly done, it can disguise a million graphic sins (why do you think I got so good at it :P) and really helps bring a graphic together.  For example, this is really good, with nice hardcutting and good text, but it's a little flat and ZQ looks a little bit stuck on top - he doesn't fit in.  Gradient maps are really good at fixing stuff like that - also a black-to-white gradient from top to bottom set on soft light really helps.  I use it on like, everything.  I know you don't like spending a lot of time on colouring, but it really will make your graphics stand out.

Some of your hardcutting is a little sloppy.  This seems to just be a matter of consistency, because some of it is really crisp and sharp and other times it just isn't - like here and here.  Just a little more attention to detail will go a long way!

Other things:

-- your text is really improving. Keep it up!

-- your blends are really good and HQ, but try and experiment a little more.  Maybe have more people, or do something with negative space?

-- your banners need work, along with icons. I'm afraid banners are just something you have to make a lot of to get comfortable with, so maybe try making PW banners?  I know as someone who doesn't write fanfiction coming up with stories can be difficult, and using PW things really helped me.  Try making threads into stories and picking quotes (with permission if necessary, of course).  For icons, try making simple icons.  Simple icons are ones you just cut and colour, which allows you to really experiment with cuts and get your colouring even across all of them.  They look really effective!

I think that's everything! You've come so far, keep it up <3 you'll be a lighter blue in no time.

Zoe <3

zoë!
Posted Image

gallery: we are stardust. & available but rusty & sig by me & they/them/their pronouns & ant crawford on pw

#21 infinite.

infinite.

battlefield

• Veteran Artist
  • 305 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

Meghaaaaan!

It's been a long while since I popped by and wow! You've improved a lot!

I really love your Elijah Bray sig, your chapter image and king of hell! <3 I stared at it for quite a while ahahaha

Try to experiment around with colouring and try not to let your textures overlap with the focal point like in the Daniel Boot sig (it sort of dulls the person a little)

and also try not to let one part of the face get unnaturally dark like in the rat a tat banner. idk it bothers me a little

okay before I go off rambling, I'm going to stop here. Those are just tips though haha wow, I came here to comment about how awesome this is and end up sorta critiquing. :/ anywho, looking forward to more of your graphics! Keep improving! ^^

-Yukee

Yukee - Available, pm first - jayden rhys on pw -  amazing set by Athirah <3

Posted Image

I'm oxygen and he's dying to breathe /gallery/

#22 Peter Quill

Peter Quill

Witch of the Wilds

• Graduate Artist
  • 920 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:45 PM

OMG Yukee! I missed you! You are never allowed to leave me again! Thanks for the tips though! *hugs*

hPn5qe7.png

twitch(12+)  ♣ set by me 

#23 wishingweed

wishingweed
  • 342 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

So as I said I'd treat you to a crit for helping me out, although I'm not too sure how helpful I will be. 

I'll start from the top and work my way down. 

Icons: Ok first off I prefer your zachary ones to your DW ones. I like your texture use in the zach ones, and you have played wth the colouring a little bit more. It seems. Although more colouring would be amazing. Get some lovely colours in there girl. But your cuts in your DW ones are better than the same headshots. 

Banners: Ok so the second callister one is great. The colours are nice, and if you could play with a little bit more of this throughout your gallery it would be brilliant. The first one, is a little lacking in colouring, it seems as if there is just a black and white filter on it and that's it. The textures are nice and the blening is great, just play around with some gradients maps on soft/hard light, and some gradients as well, black/white on  soft light does wonders, and even on hard light at a low opacity can add a bit of contrast too. 
The crowley one is lovely I think the black and white works well here, although his face does seem a little dark. 

CI: The phenix CI is nice, although I'm not too keen on the little text. Get some gradients on there two. Ok so the Quinto CI feel like a perfect base, the comp is great and you've got all the bits there needed to make it look awesome. I don't imagine all those textures were black and white to begin with, so perhaps next time you do something like this, leave those colours in, work with it, then pick out one of those colours for the outline around him. Then you could leave him in B/W for a bit of contrast, and with a softlight gradients over the top, smashing. 

Sigs: First off pic your favourite of those top two, they are both very similar and you don't need them both in your gallery. I'm not too keen on the fourth one, the mumford zach one, the comp is off and you have shown you can do better. I love the comp of your Spirk one, the textures are great and the B/W works. This may seem a bit harsh, but your PW sigs are screaming MA, however, the colouring on the top one is lovely, and I like the comp on the second one. So really it might just be the ryan cormack one that is throwing me off. Yeah, although its got that colouring I've been ranting on about it's really not playing to your strengths there sweetie. 

And Blends: Ok can I say that these are all great. That Fanmix one, wow, brilliant. Seriously. This is when your b/w really really works. And the others theyre great too, the colouring works, the comp does too. Text is a bit iffy in places, but it's all coming along just wonderfully.

Last few things:
Ok, your cutting is great, most the time. Sometimes I feel it's a little bit too soft though. Check out THIS page. The refine edge tool is great. Just make a selection, then select that smart radius thing, then paint around the edges and it's like magic ok, magic. Takes a little practice I suppose and it's not always perfect, but I recently found this out and it has worked wonders for me. 

And colouring. I know I've repeated myself, but you've got to step out of that comfort zone and colour a bit more. It doesn't neccesarily mean that you have to poop a rainbow all over your stuff. Just make it seem like all the pictures are connected, it doesn't have to be bright and shiny, it just has to mesh. You know? Probably not I talk rubbish. But seriously if you need a hand with colouring, just shoot me and I can help where I can. 

Hurry up and torture me before I fall asleep and miss it
Posted Image   
Natasha ||Gallery|| credits

#24 Peter Quill

Peter Quill

Witch of the Wilds

• Graduate Artist
  • 920 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:19 PM

OMG thank you so much Tasha *snuggles* I already discussed this all in depth on facebook with you but thank you for the crit <3

hPn5qe7.png

twitch(12+)  ♣ set by me 

#25 ethereal*

ethereal*
  • Junior Artist
  • 453 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

Hey Meghan, :hiwave:

I love your gallery!

+this is so much fun to look at! you should definitely do some more colorful graphics. :)

(+this is my favorite though - David Tennant  :wub: )

-Maya

Posted Image

-Maya-

gallery

​previously VampireWeekend 

#26 catharsis

catharsis

my world is reduced to a single instinct: survive

• Veteran Artist
  • 3,200 posts
  • Software:Paint

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

Wow, your graphics are really awesome! :D
Your banners are great! I love the way you use textures in them and the colouring and text really fit well. The only thing is that maybe you could vary your composition a bit since a lot of them are quite similar with two people around the middle. The same thing with your signatures. But the colouring is so soft and pretty on them. :wub:
I think +this is my absolute favourite thing. It's perfect! A lot of your big things are really amazing. They've got great composition and even better colouring!
Make more soon, ok? ^_^ Yes yes?

-- crystal moccasins, bionic cheese --

i live, i die, I LIVE AGAIN. (except probably not because i'm really busy sorry)

Posted Image

#27 Peter Quill

Peter Quill

Witch of the Wilds

• Graduate Artist
  • 920 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:36 AM

OOH I HAS VISITORS! Pop in for chocolate as I read your crit. *hands it over with a smile*

@Maya omg I hate color but I am about to add in a blend that has color so you can stare xD

@Daisy Yeah I hate small graphics because I have zero creativity with comp on people. I'm trying to branch out but it's failing on banners. o.o someone likes my little to no coloring!?! omg you and my girlfriend have something in common .-. Text is an evil sod that can go die in a hole. Blends are my babies and omg that one was made on a whim. wow this is just wow thanks lovely  :hug:

hPn5qe7.png

twitch(12+)  ♣ set by me 

#28 patronus_charm

patronus_charm
  • 445 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

Hi Meghan, I'm Kiana and you're gallery is so pretty!

I think my favourite things are your signatures, they're so unique and different!

Your comp and texture use is so great too, really I can't think of anything to say other than it being good!

I will be back!

Kiana

not available  | a pound of flesh | hpff

#29 exodus.

exodus.

advocate of underappreciated kpop groups

• Senior Artist
  • 595 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

MEGHAAAAAN

IT IS IIII CHARLIEEEEEE

YOU STUFF IS PRETTYYYY 

STOP DISSING ITTTTT

BYEEEEEEEEE

*flutters away*

C H A R L I E
qvibZQu.png
(jekyll & hyde) 

#30 Peter Quill

Peter Quill

Witch of the Wilds

• Graduate Artist
  • 920 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

I like seeing new people in here <3

@Kiana Why thank you for stopping by and thanks for the compliments! ^_^ I rather like making sigs cause I get more need for them I find. More people want them for sites so it's where I get my most practice.

@Charlie u.u you'd think dating you would mean I get more than that... jk I love you Charlie and you know I'm my own worst critic <3 *snatches and holds* I want my cuddle buddy here forever.

EDIT: 169th post for the girlfriend... that amuses me far too much :'D

Edited by starcrossedsoldiers, 09 February 2014 - 04:32 PM.

hPn5qe7.png

twitch(12+)  ♣ set by me 

#31 satellite

satellite

real poo for my sham friends sham poo for my real friends

• Master Artist
  • 979 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:44 AM

HI MEGHAN IM EN AND I REALLY LIKE YOUR GALLERY

not sure if I've ever posted in here before (horrible memory bleh) but I decided to pop in (again?) bc I really really love those andrew scott icons! the coloring on both the full color and b/w ones are awesome :D and your CIs! your CIs are super fab n__n

keep making pretty graphics! (and ps bootystrange is the bestest ship name ever)  :sean:

Edited by satellite, 01 March 2014 - 01:44 AM.

|| en ||

KjBz6a5O.gif

9IWFOS0.png

gallery || ufg || stock pack 

ty kay 4 my avenger babies || icon by the lovely rohini!!

#32 Peter Quill

Peter Quill

Witch of the Wilds

• Graduate Artist
  • 920 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:01 AM

Why thank you! After my bad day yesterday this was such a refreshing thing to see. Lol Bootystrange is one of two ships names I've been gifted with that just make me smile. mordred. is the the other half as her boy Daniel deals my crazy Rodolphus xD

Thanks though. You made my morning. *snugs* <3

hPn5qe7.png

twitch(12+)  ♣ set by me 

#33 DarkMoonCircus

DarkMoonCircus
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

(Because you're making me :P)

I'm clueless with this stuff as you probably figured out while talking on skype but that Melody/Nathaniel banner, Bellatrix sig and Ziggy sig are so lovely and amazing. They're some of your best work. And I love the genderbend CI's as well~ But because with your coloring, some of it looks a little too bright like with the Hugh sig and the one cut out of the Louis Naylor sig looks a bit rough but otherwise it's all pretty good, I can really see your improvement. Keep working and you'll make Jr. artist in no time <3

Echo St. Clair on PW

#34 Peter Quill

Peter Quill

Witch of the Wilds

• Graduate Artist
  • 920 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

Yes I did hear on skype but thank you bunches for commenting on it <3

hPn5qe7.png

twitch(12+)  ♣ set by me 

#35 exodus.

exodus.

advocate of underappreciated kpop groups

• Senior Artist
  • 595 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:13 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE A JUNIOR. I TOLD YOU. I TOLD YOU SO MUCH AND YOU SAID YOU WEREN'T GOING TO. DO NOT GIVE ME THE 'I'M NOT GOING TO BE PROMOTED' CRAP BECAUSE YOU CAN NEVER SAY I DIDN'T TELL YOU. YES I AM GOING TO BRAG TO YOU ABOUT THIS LIKE YOU BRAGGED TO ME. SO FLOOF IN YOUR FACE YOU GORGEOUS CREATURE ^_^ 

C H A R L I E
qvibZQu.png
(jekyll & hyde) 

#36 siren'

siren'

geronimo

• 272 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

AHHHH CONGRATS ON MAKING JUNIOOOOR. 

QEzbdE4.png

-- a r i e l --