RWbxFdK.png

-credit to alaska young @tda

nb4YbMb.png

-credit to easterlies @tda

2NWiMD7.png

-credit to avalanche @tda

8DyGDTN.png

-credit to tina.loves @tda

Tied 3rd in the And Cut! challenge(along with jekyll & hyde.)

JjcWfzS.png

-Credits List

Edited by Peter Quill, 09 November 2017 - 11:34 AM.

Meghan ♣ Available(PM first) ♣ cs6 ♣ 2 @PW  Gallery

hPn5qe7.png

twitch(12+)  ♣ set by me 

#2 Violet

Violet

Grumpy Old Violet

• Veteran Artist
  • 12,478 posts
  • Software:Photoshop

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:56 AM

Please remember to include the date you last updated your gallery to the topic title or as one of the tags of your gallery topic. If you're having difficulty, you can ask either a moderator or admin to help you out.

Thanks! :)

Posted Image
tumblr (M) ~*~ fanfiction ~*~ gallery
not available for requests

#3 Peter Quill

Peter Quill

Witch of the Wilds

• Graduate Artist
  • 920 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:59 AM

Whoops! I knew I forgot something! Thanks for letting me know!

EDIT: added it into the tags

Edited by PikaChick, 13 February 2012 - 01:00 AM.

hPn5qe7.png

twitch(12+)  ♣ set by me 

#4 clowder

clowder

Herro!

• Advertising Moderator
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:05 AM

Ah hah! First! :)

Your title interested me, and as a fellow 7th pager I know we don't often get the majority of critiques, so I thought I'd pop in and give you some! (I do this for my first post in everyone's, don't worry, they're just my thoughts ;) )

Icons:
You have some good ideas with these, and I must say I love Matt Smith. One thing that's popping out for me is the poor image quality, and that goes for all the graphics. They look blurry, and some pictures, like the lower right icon, are warped. Easy way to fix this is when you resize, hold down Shift. It "locks" the pixels in place, so to speak and prevents warping. To help with the quality, just sharpen it (not sure how this is done in gimp, so look around the tutorial section for that) Also, try to vary the cuts, right now they all look the same, Matt's head on a black background. Try zooming in or out, have multiple people, experiment. :)

Sigs:
These have very pretty coloring, I like the lightness of them. On he first one, I would flip Emma around and bring her closer tothe text, as right now the focal point is split between the two, leaving me confused as to where I should be looking. Also, sharpen Emma up, she's very blurry.
The second one is much better, the cats are so cute! And see how Emma looks sharper in that image? Great. Just move the main cat a little closer to he text ( which I'd also say experiment with on everything, use gradients and drop shadow to make it look really good and stand out) and this could easily be your best piece.

Blend:
Right now, this one is clearly your best. The coloring is the most cohesive and he focal point is more clear than your sigs. The main issue is the big Billie Piper, she looks blurry and a bit warped. The text on this is the best so far! The blending in he background is also very nice.

In general, I'd say keep up the good work by practicing a lot and eating up tutorials like your life depends on it! ;)
Here are some things to check out:
http://the-dark-arts...showtopic=77023 an awesome base making tutorial, can be applied to EVERYTHING.
http://the-dark-arts...showtopic=78705 some simple tips to make text look god, something everyone struggles with, believe me.
http://the-dark-arts...showtopic=91998 and finally, some tips for icon making.

Hope this helps you out! PM me if you have any questions at all. :) If this was too mean, feel free to whack me with a stick. XP

~ Alanna

Spread the love 2012
Posted Image

Edited by randompotterink, 14 February 2012 - 09:33 AM.

Alanna | previously randompotterink, minion
Posted Image

^CLICK FOR GALLERY^

#5 BB-8

BB-8

Kaiju Groupie

• Junior Artist
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

HAAAI MEGHAN :DDD

Was wondering around TDA and i found your gallery :OO I must say you got some pretty good stuff already, and as i always say for people who use GIMP you get some brownie points for that xD because gimp is a nightmare for me, really i can't use stuff >_> anyway i think you just need to get on to working a little more on techniques, because i think you already make pretty compositions <3 Like be careful when resizing a picture, because sometimes you "squish" or stretch them, and then your pretty won't be that pretty :/ Another thing i'm going to point out is pay attention to image quality, it's another thing that can make your graphic lose a lot of quality is the lq of the pictures used! You should go check out some tuts on the tuts are, they're really helpful ^__^ Anyway i wanna see more stuff ;DD

~Vicky

ft7HhWA.png

arrietty.@ tda

#6 VioletRed

VioletRed
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

Hi there!

I'm still a little inexperienced with the world of graphics, so I apologise for the sparsity it's of this critiquey thing.

The first thing I noticed, is the proportions of some of the people. Like on the Wylise blend, the girl seems stretched and a little squished in. But that's not too hard to fix.

Second is the text. Don't get me wrong, having simple text can often be a benefit to the graphic, but having a lot of variation in fonts is great too. Dafont.com seriously saves my life :) I'm not sure exactly what GIMP is like with text, but adding a little bit of tone can be wonderful.

I really love this gallery :wub: AND THE NAME :D imma roll out, before I start to hyperventilate.

-Cassie :)

:: call me cassie ::

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
:: pottersworld & gallery :: set by me ::

#7 somebody

somebody

I wanted a member title so sammich chose this

• 445 posts
  • Software:GIMP

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

Hey :)
I love love your Kari and Nathalie sigs, they're sooo pretty <3
For your banners, I'd suggest maybe making the text smaller and not spreading everything around so much. Better to have a clear focal point :) And like the others have said, watch out when you're resizing images that you don't stretch them (like you have slightly in your Merthur banner and your gallery header).

~Ruth

~ Ruth ~ 

Posted Image

[A Song of Ice and Fire] | [Formerly TheLoneCenturion]

Selena Fisher & Seth Allen

“Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

#8 ginnykar

ginnykar
  • 407 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

Hi megan,

you do have a great start!

You should try out some tutorials and enter challenges..they'll help you improve loads 

THIS Is very pretty. your best graphic at the moment

Love,

Ginny

Edited by ginnykar, 30 December 2012 - 10:57 PM.

Posted Image

***........................GALLERY***HPFF............................***

#9 Lady Plantagenet

Lady Plantagenet

NaNo Word Count: 1740

• Staff Moderator
  • 10,302 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:08 AM

Hi there. Whatever credits you put on DA are not visible. We shouldn't have to download your credits in order to see them. This needs to be fixed right away. Thanks!

formerly Glow || andrea

grlDnmC.png

gallery || AltheaG @AO3 || @artful_catholic on Instagram

Follow the Copyright Rules || sig quote by Percy Bysshe Shelley

#10 bonkers&co

bonkers&co

ultraviolence

• 773 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

Hey! Another GIMP-er! Yayyy!!!!! *dances*

anyways, your stuff is good! ilove ur first sig! becare ful with img quality and stretching, it ruins the overall look of a graphic!

sig by &themoon, icon by moi|  wattpad+ bands + youtube + fandoms
Posted Image

"be a werewolf, not a teen wolf."+

#11 Peter Quill

Peter Quill

Witch of the Wilds

• Graduate Artist
  • 920 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

Fixed the link issue. DA has been messing with my account so this isn't the first thing it has messed with. I went with a dropbox link that shows you the doc without a download.

hPn5qe7.png

twitch(12+)  ♣ set by me 

#12 accursed.

accursed.

Mo Duinne

• Veteran Artist
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

Meg!! *tackles*
Love your gallery <3 It's so bright and colourful and om nom nom

*rolls around* Keep up the good work and keep practicing!

<3

Posted Image

gallery || kinda-available?? Just got back. After a long time. 

#13 Peter Quill

Peter Quill

Witch of the Wilds

• Graduate Artist
  • 920 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

LAURA!!! *glomps* Thanks for stopping on by! I will practice practice practice! And stop giving you feels so often! <3

hPn5qe7.png

twitch(12+)  ♣ set by me 

#14 Milady

Milady

manners maketh man.

• Graduate Artist
  • 934 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

Hi Meghan, Aisha here for your crit :happy:

Text: Okay, so this was a weak point that you wanted me to address. Text is easier in general in ps as opposed to other programs, but it is still tricky to get the hang of ;) One of the things that I always do is use the colour picker tool. This means that the colour of your text will fit in with the colour scheme of your graphic, unlike in +this piece, where the yellow is obtrusive and doesn't seem to fit in. Also, when it comes to text colours, stay away from black and white, they are harsh colours and tend to stand out too much :D Also, I see when you use text, you use a lot of outlines. Try to vary the effects that you use and again, use the colour picker when choosing a colour for your outline if you want to do that on the odd graphic.

Colouring: So, this was the second weak point that you chose. Your colouring is alright now, there are no weirdly coloured people, so that's great xD Colouring is very much a trial and error process, figuring out what method works best for you. I know, that for me, I always start with a black and white gradient map on luminosity to add depth to a graphic and I always finish with a black to white gradient set on soft light to give a sense of flow and continuation in a graphic from top to bottom. In the middle, I play around with gradient maps (try different colours, like a orange and purple gradient map set on a low opacity on difference adds bluey tones), vibrance settings (these make the colours all bright and sparkly) as well as selective colouring.

Image quality: In some pieces, such as +this, you have used topaz. Whilst a great tool, if used too heavily, it makes people look unrealistic and plastic, whereas we want them looking as real as we can ;) Pick your images carefully, so that they are HQ, therefore you won't have to use topaz as much.

Blending: This is generally good, but we want this to be flawless :D Sometimes, in pieces like +this, you've hardcut. Hardcutting requires patience and practice, it's not something that comes easily, but it can produce some good effects. In that graphic, Emma Stone's hair is cut weirdly and there are some white parts of the bg still visible. Use a tiny brush, 3-5 px at a high zoom to try and get a smooth cut ;)

Finally, I'd get rid of +this piece since your other blends are much better :D

Hopefully this helped! If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a note or something :happy:

I be Aisha.

6sw5ft.jpg

#15 bewitching.

bewitching.

we’ve found our destiny

• Graduate Artist
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

Hey there. Gaby here with your crit :)

Icons: The cuts on your icons are lovely. The only thing letting them down is the LQ images and the colouring. At the moment your colouring seems flat and it doesn't add depth to the graphic. When adding text to your icons I have always been told to make the text white (whether that is a personal opinion I have no idea). Maybe searching for some higher quality images may help. With colouring try to mess around with the blend mode like soft light etc until you find one that works. Also don't be afraid to lower the opacity accordingly. I have also noticed that some of the images in your icons are stretched which leads to the person being distorted. Maybe try varing the cuts on your icons because at the moment they are all of just head and shoulders.

Banners: Wow your hard cutting on the pictures is amazing. Just watch out for pixelation around the edges. On +this you may want to try to match the skin tones. right now the guy on the left is very yellow. I'm not sure about the text being in the middle of the banner as my eye can't seem to focus on where to look. Think about focal points (the main point where the eye shall be draw to. This can either be text or the people). Your work with textures is really good :) The text on the first banner doesn't look right with it being white with a pink outline. With text you want ti to link in with your banner but you don't want it to disappear. Maybe try a darker colour for the text without the outline. Just mess around with it.

Signatures: Both of those sigs are very pretty. I would just mention about image quality again because it is bring the graphic down. Also the main picture in the second one looks distored as though it has been stretched. A way to stop that happening is to hold shift when you are resizing the image. Also the skin tones of the man and woman don't match. Having the skin tones matching means that the graphic will flow better. On the first one I think both guys look too dark maybe try messing around with the brightness and contrast to get the light right.

PW Sigs: +this is fantastic I love it although I would try messing around with the font a little bit and it's placing. +this how amazing is this sig. the blending is just asdfghjkl; The text doesn't seem to fit on the banner. Combining black and white make it really harsh. Maybe try a dark blue but place both pieces of text so one sits on top of the other. At the moment it is too hard to read and again my eyes don't know where to look.

Blends: On these you have a tendancy to use outlines to make the text stand out. Now I'm not saying they are bad as a few artists here use them to make the text bright and bold. Instead of going straight to an outline try messing around with the text colour until you find something that fits in with the colouring of your graphic. +this I think would be much betetr if you got rid of the quote text because my eye is draw to it more than the pictures also the font is hard to read when it is that small. Maybe for the main text instead fo it being white choose a colour from the background that way it will stand out more and grab your attention.

Overall, you need to work on your text, image quality, hardcutting and colouring.

For fonts you could try and download some from dafont. Maybe some fancy script fonts which many artists here on TDA use.

For image quality, If you are using actors/models then try and look for their own gallery and use the high quality images.

For hardcutting always use a brush around 3-5px and zoom in to about 200-300% that way you can clearly see what you are rubbing away. Once you have cut them out to make them look like they were already in the banner etc is to go round them with a smudge at 4px on 50% strength/opacity. That way it shall create a smooth finish to them.

With colouring just try and mess around with Hue/sat, curves, selective colouring and gradient maps.

This +tutorial by Violet may help you with image quality. +here is one on getting skin tones to match. Check out the Technique Tutorials for any tips and tricks other artists use to create their graphics. You'll be amazed at the results when you try them out.

I really hope that this crit has helped you. If I have been harsh feel free to kick me. If you have any questions then feel free to drop me a PM :D Keep up the good work.

k5U2U0q.png
call me Gaby ★  Hanna's twinee  GALLERY PM for requests  unavaliable

#16 uprising.

uprising.

a great perhaps

• Veteran Artist
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

meghan :wub:

i love you and your graphics, but you knew that. i think if you really apply yourself, you can be junior in no time! you're almost there. i'm totally biased but +this is my favourite. you rock at blends too. keep being fabulous! <33

even though now i'm commenting in everyone's gallery just for you

stay made of lightning Ϟ

Posted Image

karly ★ available  gallery  r. cormack & h. cormack & g. taylor on pw   tumblr

#17 rock&roll!

rock&roll!

tda's biochemist-to-be

• 482 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

Your texture use is fabulous, and I love how effortlessly you can make dark graphics.  You're also improving really really quickly! Just keep making and experimenting my lovelyyyyy <333

zoë!
Posted Image

gallery: we are stardust. & available but rusty & sig by me & they/them/their pronouns & ant crawford on pw

#18 somebody

somebody

I wanted a member title so sammich chose this

• 445 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

Heya :D I love your PW sigs, they and your blends are definitely your strong suit. Like me though, I think your banners could do with a little bit of work. Maybe try and give them a stronger focal point (if that even makes sense)? But yeah, I still love love your king of hell blend <3

~ Ruth ~ 

Posted Image

[A Song of Ice and Fire] | [Formerly TheLoneCenturion]

Selena Fisher & Seth Allen

“Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users